Old Jubilation - Avery Brewing Company

Old JubilationOld Jubilation

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Old Ale |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Jubilation Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -7%

If I remember correctly this used to be categorized as a winter warmer, but old ale is definitely more fitting.

Pours a dark amber, it is translucent when held to the light. Very bubbly off-white head retains well at about a half finger.

Smell is extremely malty, lots of dark fruit, plum, caramel. Good strength.

Taste follows suit mostly, there's more to it than the scent. Big caramel malts up front like you'd expect in an old ale, dark fruits, slight leather, molasses, some hop bitterness and dark chocolate.

Nice thickness and low carbonation, bitterness grows a bit with warmth. A tiny bit of alcohol warmth.

Pretty good, but also a little too standard, nothing much makes it stick out.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 2010 edition into a pint glass.

A - Pours a deep brown/black color with a nice 1.5 finger deep thick dark cream colo with decent retention and lacing.

S - Disappointing aroma in that there isn't much at all. Very mild roasted aroma, though I was not impressed. For a winter warmer an aroma profile isn't jumping down your face but I've had better aroma.

T/M - While the aroma was disappointing I really enjoyed the flavor the beer brings. It starts mild and then quikly transitions to a malty medium. Not overly carbonated and medium to full profile.

D - yes, very.

Overall I am embarassed it took so long to try this beer. It is in my top 2 winter warmers and I am glad I cellared a few this year.

EDIT: I am a little suprised the rating didn't eclipse the A mark so I cracked another again and I stand by the review. A lot of exceptional qualities such as a complex flavor and mouthfeel though severly lacking in aroma which is so limited. I would recommend this beer hands down but I find myself looking for a bit more.

Reviewed on: 01-25-2011 04:00:03

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

I had a twelve ounce draft of this at the Amsterdam Ale House in Manhattan. Not a bad old ale, a style you don't see very often, but I had hoped it would have been better.

Color was a draft brown with a very small amount of carbonation.

Aroma was toasty/roasty. Not too much in the way of hops but a pretty good smell overall.

Flavor was a little hot, especially for the abv. Also a lot of dark fruit. No real bitterness to speak of but also not too sweet.

Overall a decent beer. Just not a real standout.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

09/2010 vintage pours a very deep mahogany with ruby hues very striking color. with a creamy head sitting on top showing minimal retention and spotty lace. the aroma very sweet, caramel, dark fruit, figs with a touch of heat. the taste is a mellow caramel malt, with some and nuttiness and toffee sweetness that play a complimenting balance. alcohol is slightly present and warming. the mouth feel is nice and the carbonation is moderate. easy beer to drink and enjoy on cool evenings. overall i wouldn't have minded having this with a fresh one but i haven't seen it around. enjoyable brew for the season. ho-ho whoa! i don't know why i felt obligated to type that, forgive me and move on. thank you.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

12 oz single from "Lifesource" S.Salem. $1.99 I havent rated the beers I have had from Avery very highly maybe this will change as it is one of my favourite styles. Tawny red ale with a small light tan head and plenty lace. Aroma of milky bar chocolate and some caramel, some nuts,,hazelnuts, Smooth taste of coffee and cream, hazelnuts,white chocolate,figs and some whisky fudge. Mouthfeel is pretty nice, gives the impression of fullness but its actually very drinkable I liked it but again its not as good as i wanted it t be. Maybe the bottles just dont travel to Oregon very well

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Dark brown poured into the glass, with a light brown lacing.

Nuts, toffee, but nothing really complex.

Nice body. Goes down quick. Can't tell it is 8.3%.

It was on draft at Mad Mex for $2.75 for 16 ounces at Happy Hour. Really can't beat the price. But I'd never buy a case.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Decent tan head which the server poured off... Laces well, good surface retention. Garnet body.

Nose is malty with some spice.

Taste is rich: super malty with some bittering hops at th eend, a real progression. Bold in flavor, any alcohol is masked.

Feel is nice and smooth.

Maybe not worth the hype. Nice, bold, but not super interesting.

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

This is an interesting beer. I do think that it's confused though.

A: nice redish brown with a light tan head. The head is fed for a qhile from the carbonation. The beer looks nice except it seems to look dirty. Either this is an unfiltered offering, which I doubt or it seems to have specs of things clinging to the glass as carbonation bubbles past. Don't inspect closely for a good looking beer.

S and T: This I'm going to review together because they are very similar and complex. There is a strong sense of dark cherries and raisins. A hint of molasses and alcohol. The alcohol is definitely more apparent in the taste, which is why it got a lower score. I think the alcohol is too dominant to get a good rating for a style that seems to have to have that flavor there.

M: Medium body beer that sits very gently on the tongue. No heavy residue left as it passes over the tongue.

O: I think this beer would be well enjoyed in place of a hot chocolate on a very cold day when you are just getting back inside. It will remind you of the sweetness of life and jolt your senses back to life with the alcohol.

I think this would be best enjoyed with a cheesey meal to off set it's bitterness of alcohol.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- dark drown, almost black in color. Sort of a mahogany color. The head is fairly light, it seams as though the beer is not as big and as bad as it really is.

S- the aroma is nutty with the aroma of roasted malts and barley. Notes of vanilla are detected.

T- super balanced across the board. I taste a balanced malt flavor. Toasty and fresh. It taste dry and the alcohol sort of sneaks up on you. The hops are present, but are not up front.

M- very balanced. I have had many beers in the past that I have said are balanced. This beer is awsome. Not many beers are as complex and balanced as this one.

D- delicious.