Join our email list →

Old Ale | 8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002

Reviews: 790 | Hads: 1,634
3.36/5  rDev -13.2%

Oct. 2009 bottle opened in Dec. 2011.
Tastes like a creamier version of a scotch ale: very sweet, nutty in a brown ale kinda way. Caramel With winter warmers, I expect heavy malts and some variation of spice: the malts aren’t particularly heavy here and there are absolutely no spices. It’s not bad, but there aren’t any memorable qualities, either. Medium-thin mouthfeel.
I picked up a few packs of this 2 years ago and have been sampling it at different intervals since then. While still very drinkable and carbonated, at 2 years this feels past its prime. I remember thinking it was outstanding between 1-1 ½ years (sorry, didn’t take notes, all I remember was that the nose was wonderfully bready and the hops were still fairly present).

A final note: I've always known this as a winter warmer. BA labels it as an Old Ale, while Avery's website calls it an Old Strong Ale. Hmm

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

One of the finer alternatives to the spiced winter warmers, and its new to my neck of the woods. Its sorta similar to Great Divide Hibernation: both are fairly malty, un-spiced, similar abv's and tasty. This one is a tad less hoppy though.
The pour was a thing of beauty: I poured fairly aggressively and got a ~2.5 finger tan-colored head (very similar to the pic on their site, only mine didnt go above the rim of the glass) which was slow to dissipate, with some remaining for the whole duration of the drinking. Substanital lace as well. Body was a clear but dark ruby-brown.
Taste is a well-blended array of malts...hard to really discern the individual flavors...hints of caramel, chocolate and in the finish, a hint of roastiness and a very slight bitterness.
Mouthfeel is just right as well...a very creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Not full bodied, but a solid medium. Very nice.
Very enjoyable...one for the malt-fans. Glad we finally got Avery stuff here in Albany. I've got The Czar and The Reverand yet to try in my basement...should be good.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

$9.99 6pack
Dennis: If you considered this a winter warmer, I'd have to say it was the best of it's class. Rich and warm, with the chalky chocolate hints you'd expect, this comes across best about 1/2 through the bottle. A slight hop tartness really compliments the 8% alcohol and help drives it home. Over all a great beer that further solidifies Avery's reputation.
Jen: Yummy! Just what I look for in a winter ale. This has a nice blend of malts with a dry coffee and toffee and a mild bittersweet chocolate taste. It has a nice medium mouthfeel with slightly hoppy, yet sweet and toasty aftertaste. This is worth the $$, and it will be purchased again.

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

I first encountered Old Jubilation last year, when I purchased it along with some Hibernation Ale, and I was immediately impressed by it as a very drinkable Winter Warmer, and as good as the Hibernation Ale was, I always slightly preferred this beer over it.

Towards the end of the Holiday Season last year, I decided to keep a bottle back, to see how it compared with the 2006 release, and I have to say that for those planning to get into cellaring, it really is worthwhile when you finally get to sample the goods.

This year's batch is every bit as good as I was expecting, but you really can taste the benefit the extra year has had on the 2005 version. It is just so much better in every way, the taste is richer, definitely sweeter and has acquired some sherry like aspects, and the mouthfeel is much smoother.

It makes me wonder how far you can go with this ageing process: If this is the result of my minor experiment with a good beer for one year, what about some of those great beers that are put down for several years or more?, They must be truely fantastic.

Interesting, very interesting.

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours brown with a foamy tan head to a pint glass. It smells of roasted malt and hips with a whiff of both toffee and yeast.

The taste is complex, giving tones of coffee maltiness, a pleasant bitterness, and sweetness on the tail. Mouth feel is prickly and tart.

Overall, it is a very peasant blend of flavors, and I can imagine it tasting great in the winter, but since the pint glass I was drinking from was sweating profusely, I wont comment too much on the seasonality of it.

I did feel that it was perfect in terms of drinkability. I was commenting that it must be a lower alcohol, thinking of an English Bitter, allowing you to drink several in a short amount of time - but was wrong. I still think you could easily drink several of these in a night, but you will be feeling it!

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Amber with peach hues with lingering head and quite apparent lacing start to finish. Poured into a flouted ale glass

S- Fruit, vanilla, copper/iron

T- Malty sweet, not fruity sweet but fruit esters are present no doubt. I can feel and taste the hops pretty intensely in the finish

M- Good balance, maybe a little under carbonated. Warming alcohol in this case seems higher than 8% but isn't ridiculously obvious or overbearing by any means

D- Next!

3.71/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz bottle poured into an an english pint glass.

Deep, dark brown with a good, thick, creamy white head that takes minutes to settle. Smells of toffee, chocolate, piney hops. Tastes of sweet malts, slight hop presence, end with an alcohol bite. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel. Very sweet, very syrupy. Good beer, Nice warmer.

3.94/5  rDev +1.8%

Great mahogany color with very little head. Taste was good with a bit of a hoppy finish but a straight forward approach to the general style. Lacks a bit of alcohol to truly fulfill my expectations of a warmer. The added advantage is that its one of the few brews offered in a 12 oz with so much punch/flavor.

Fluffy, cobwebby off-white head which leaves some lace on the glass. Aroma is mild floral and spicy hops with notes of chocolate. Deep copper-red, which is more brown than red. Full-bodied and moderately carbonated. Flavor is notes of chocolate, caramel, nuts, slight diacetyl, dark fruits, followed by spicy hops and slight warming alcohol (this is 8.0%? I'm surprised) Finish is roasted malt, paper, and light grain bitterness.

3.96/5  rDev +2.3%

No problem finding Avery brewing Co. here, I'm glad!

A. Mahogany color, 1/4 finger head

S. Hint of dark fruit, raisin, malt

T. Light coco, nutty, raisin and apple skin, sweet finish

M. Feels slightly chewy, medium mouth coat, dry

O. Great beer, good price, makes me proud to be an American!

3.84/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a deep reddish brown with minimal head that dissipates rather quickly. Hazy and nearly opaque.

S - Musty and dank smelling with some rich malty notes and a hint of hazelnut. Just a slight reminder of the ABV in the sinuses. The nose isn't very appealing to me at all.

T - Thankfully the smell of this one is forgiven as soon as I take a sip.... Malty sweetness up front, followed by a roasted bitterness on the back end. Very well balanced for being so malty. Just a hint of hops can be picked up in the finish along with dark chocolate and toffee notes that linger well after each sip. Quite a complex mix of flavors that work very well together. Sweet, Malty, and Bitter all at once.... I really enjoy the flavor profile of this one.

M - Big bodied and smooth with a slightly creamy texture that works harmoniously with the complex malt flavors.

D - Ho Ho WOAH!!?! This beer is 8.3% ABV? Absolutely nothing about this beer hints of that kind of strength. Utterly drinkable for how big it is. A truly wonderful Winter Seasonal that I will certainly enjoy again. This one really surprised me, and is now going to be a beer that I seek out annually during the Holidays.

3.51/5  rDev -9.3%

Serving type - Bottle poured into pint glass

A: Pours a chestnut brown color. 1/2 inch head quickly dissipates and, slight lacing around the edge of glass.

S: Disappointing. Slight mustiness from the hops with a faint smell of toasted malt. Nothing to coomplex

T: Heavy alcohol taste right off the bat. Followed by a dry hops flavor - no citrus overtones, just that classic bittering hops flavor. Concluded with a toasted toffee malt flavor. Overall taste not that bad.

M: Thick, heavy, subtle carbonation.

O: Not a bad beer, just average. I am not sure I would buy this beer again but I wouldn't discourage the purchase.

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Found this at our small town muni. Will wonders never cease. No freshness date or anything like that, but it hasn't been in the cooler longer than about 2-3 weeks so I think we're okay.

A: A deep brownish-mahogany color in the glass. Full rocky head that subsides slowly, and leaves moderate lacing.

S: Roasted malt, a little bit of spice.

T: Oh my oh my oh my. Coffee, Chocolate. Spice. Little bit of citrusy astringency. Amazingly balanced.

M: Not syrupy at all, like many winter warmers can be. Slightly astringent on the front end, and then it gently glides away. Smooth and enticing.

D: Be mindful of the 8% alcohol. That also glides up on you. If you keep that thought in your head, it's plenty sessionable on a cold Minnesota night.

I'm delighted beyond words that our little muni decided to pick this up. I expect I'll be drinking a lot of this over the winter months.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: Served in my 2007 Strong Ale pint glass. Pours a dark ruby almost brown with a small beige head that held moderate retention.

Nose: Big malts, dark grains, mocha and a tinge of hop character.

Taste: Rich dark fruit and malts dominate the palate. Slighty sweet and well balanced with just a touch of hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth creamy mouthfeel, moderate carbonation. Very nice.

Drinkability: A bit warming as it goes down but highly drinkable.

Overall: This is one the the premier winter warmers as far as I am concerned. A perfect balance of malt and hops, full of character and the robust taste you need this time of year. Excellent!

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured a dark mahogany with a small off-white head. Head diminished quickly, leaving a delicate lacing.

Aroma of roasted malts prevalent; hint of alcohol.

Excellent roasted malt, coffee and spice flavor followed by a bit of a lingering, but not unpleasant, alcohol burn.

Medium-bodied and creamy mouthfeel, with a slight tingle of carbonation.

This beer has a lot of flavor and body; a nice, warming brew. A little heavy to drink more than one, but one is really nice.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance - I would hve to say middle of the road. Not too amazin, but definitely dark, and obviously not too heavy on excess sugars.

Smell - Sort of timid. But what whiff you get is good.

Taste - Great old ale taste. This is what you would expect from a very good winter beer. Warming sweet malt notes. Chestnuts are roasting baby.

Mouthfeel - Slightly warming alcoholic feel. But not too bad.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. Good thing we picked this up righ before Wisonsin got 16 inches in MARCH.

Overall - I liked it a lot. Smooth and alcoholic. Warming and and sweet. A good winter ale and a nice smooth olde.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

Very dark brown with a soap-sud beige head, had to pour kind of aggressively to get the head to show up. Whoa, it smells like alcohol just pouring it. I'm getting some dried fruit smells here too and some kind of funkiness.. not exactly bread-maybe kind of chocolatey? Ok, on to the taste. Doesn't feel as heavy in my mouth as a stout or a porter, but it's not light bodied. Finishes a bit dry, with a little taste of hops back there and a little taste of alcohol, but its not overwhelming like I expected from the pour. I'm not getting a lot on the front end, maybe some chocolate and bread flavors like the smell again. This is a tasty beer--a little different than I expected, but I haven't had a lot of this style. Looks like I have more research to do this winter.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Like their brews so much that I stopped at their brewery when I was in Colorado. Old Jubilation has a knock you down fast potent alcohol content. Definitively a sipper. Dark in color, full of complex favors. A party favorite with beer snobs. Look for Old Jubilation starting around Thanksgiving. Put some away for those cold February days.

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured a deep amber, reddish brown. Translucent with a limited light brown head. Reasonable lacing.

The nose is floral. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cherry, caramel and brown sugar.

The nose was more telling than the flavor. The malt initially over powers the spice. You can taste the above mentioned smells a touch in the finish and the aftertaste, annice seems to be another flavor that sneaks in. As it warms up you can taste more of the cinnamon and cherry.

The mouthfeel is a bit lighter than expected, its rather smooth. The abv is deceiving until the aftertaste where you are able to get that warming feeling as it goes down. A very pleasant winter warmer

3.84/5  rDev -0.8%

Came as part of a mix 12 pack that I got for Christmas.

A. Simple brown color, average head
S. Slight chocolate, more like mocha, raisin.
T. Same comes through on taste. Sweet w/ long finish, dry bitter aftertaste. Alcohol taste.
D. Packs an alcohol punch. Good taste but a tad on the harsh side and wouldn't go looking to down two or more of these. However, I thought this was a good winter warmer and increased my appreciation for this style.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

I got this bottle as part of a "mystery" six-pack from the local store. I've got to say that it's a fine surprise.

A - nice thick off white head and a deep orange/medium brown, clear, body.

S - sweet malt.

T - sweet malt with a beautiful bitter hop finish.

M - a little watery and full of flavor yet not heavey.

D - solid. Perfect for three or four pints on a fall evening.

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: Pours a dark, reddish-brown with a firm, lingering tan head. Considerable lacing as the level receded.

Aroma: Nicely balanced between sweet, caramel notes and bitter hops.

Flavor: Flavor is at first sweet and malty, then quickly turns happily bitter with some nice, piney hop flavor. On the swallow, the bitterness prevails, leaving the mouth with a pleasantly bitter, sticky aftertaste. Some notes of toffee and burnt malts, adding to the bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-big in body. Light and fine carbonation. Slightly warming going down.

Overall Impression: Overall I was very impressed. A beautifully struck balance between malt sweetness and hop bite.

Comments: Bottle pour.

This one should be among one of the best BIG Daddy Ales. Pours a very dark amber color with a very frothy thick head over the ale.

You receive a nice hint of the malts in your nose with a sugar and spice accent

Very nice sweet smooth taste up front with the spice flavoring hitting you at the end. I thought this ale might have been to sweet at first but after further review its perfectly balanced.

The mouth feel is very nice medium to full with a very little hit of dryness at the end.

Over all this is one of the more perfectly balanced ales, the balance of malts and sweetness keeps you coming back for more. The brewing was very well done you could not ask for anything better. This is the perfect ale for the holiday season. I would recommend this to everyone.

Ale style: Strong English Ale
Hop Varity: Bullion
Malt Varity: Two row barley, special roast, black, chocolate, vistory
OG: 1.074
Alcohol by Volume: 8%
IBU’s: 30
Color: Very dark Amber

4.26/5  rDev +10.1%

Moderately sweet and earthy aroma of licorice, caramel and wood. Gorgeous deep reddish brown color with a thick, rocky head that lasts beyond the final drop. Substantial lacing. Medium sweetness with hints of nuts. Substantial alcohol warmth. Full body with a hefty mouthfeel. Lively carbonation with a lasting sweet malt finish. This is a big winner. Highly recommended for those cold winter nights, or anytime, really.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I drink this first straight out of the bottle and really enjoyed it. The next day I was at home and was able to pour it in a glass. Poors an interesting amber brown color with a small bit of tanish white head. Has some sediment floating around the glass. The color is much lighter than I had anticipated. Has a nice mildly spicey taste with a nice caramel note and a hint of hops. Nice smooth mouthfeel and you cannot taste the 8% ABV. I would even consider this a session beer, but at 8% I better be careful.

Old Jubilation from Avery Brewing Company