Collaboration Not Litigation Ale - Avery Brewing Company

Collaboration Not Litigation AleCollaboration Not Litigation Ale

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.72% ABV

(Beer added by: FtownThrowDown on 01-23-2007)
Minkybut

1.9/5  rDev -51.4%

I poured this screwed up brew into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was cloudy and kinda of orange. The beer was full of black flakes and all kinds of junk. The beer had a sour smell and sure had a sour tase with a sweetness that was sickening. I poured the beer out and will not buy again. If this is what they are going to Belgian to learn how to make I pity the fool that buys the beer.

01-23-2010 19:35:20 | More by Minkybut

cannunzi

05-29-2013 19:29:56 | More by cannunzi
Monicagm

2.05/5  rDev -47.6%

Dark amber color with a thin head.

Sesame/umami scent.

Dark chocolate or a roasted coffee taste. Clean finish.

Thick mouthfeel.

Overall, I wasn't a fan of this beer at all. The think mouthfeel combined with the umami taste was too overwhelming for me.

01-30-2012 19:33:16 | More by Monicagm
frazbri

2.08/5  rDev -46.8%

Collaboration Not Litigation poured brown and cloudy topped by a creamy, off-white head and good lacing left on the goblet. Aromas of orchard fruit, banana, orange peel, a hint of grapefruit and pine. Flavor started bright with banana, cloves and pine with a bitter finish. Body was medium-full with relatively high carbonation and a dry finish.

A great team is greater than the sum of it's individual players. This is more like the 2006 Yankees. Hall of Fame players, disappointing result. The beauty of RR's finesse is obliterated by Avery's power.

06-09-2007 01:56:08 | More by frazbri
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

2.17/5  rDev -44.5%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 9/28/11
*From notes

-- Batch No 3 --

A: Unfiltered, dirty cider. A decent pour yields a one finger head that fade fast and zero lacing.

S: Sun dried apricots that've been sitting in the sun a bit too long.

T: Uninspiried and kinda bland, to be honest. Cigarette ashtray up front to mid. The finish is overly sweet and yeasty. Blech!

M: Meh. Thin and slick.

O: Avery/RR's Collaboration Not Litigation was a pretty big dissapointment. Maybe it was me, maybe cellaring this for a year was a mistake. Regardless, this hit the drain, and isn't a beer I'd return to. I'd go so far as to call this the redheaded brainchild of two great breweries.

A certifiable miss.

jsh420

2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

batch #3 bottled feb. 2009

pours copper amber with a 2+ finger head that left spotted lacing

smells musty earthy hops fruity

taste - i dont get BSD here - more like saison - musty moth balls fruity malts and earthy hops

mouthfeel is medium body with good carbonation very creamy and smooth

drinkability - hey when the taste is not there - why do i want to drink it

02-28-2010 04:15:16 | More by jsh420
bierguru

2.73/5  rDev -30.2%

batch 4

The beer looks decent, it's fairly clear. The head is decent with decent retention, but the body is just too clear and clean. It would be awesome if it just was a bit dirtier and hazier.

The smell is Belgian. somewhat like a saison. Mostly dominated by the yeast with some caramelly notes in the background. I would have liked a sharper Belgian spice,

The taste is along the same lines. Belgiany, like a dirty, dark saison. Nothing great or special. It's a bit too thin, and not much spicy i do get some fruityness in the beer reminds me of apples

the beer is drinkable and decent nothing to go crazy about

07-10-2011 01:59:12 | More by bierguru
JDV

2.73/5  rDev -30.2%

On tap
Pours a rich golden amber with a creamy beige head. A malty faint belgian yeast character and wheaty, caramel in the nose as well. Taste is creamy, smooth and simple with brown malt and yeast flavors. On the lightly sweeter side. Softly carbonated and medium bodied. Drinkable.

04-06-2008 18:46:54 | More by JDV

11-15-2011 17:08:16 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
bashiba

Iowa

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured a dark amber with a soup ring of a head with some minor lacing and a bit of sediment.

Smell has a yeasty funk quality to it with a touch of sweet dark fruit.

Has a very tinny and oxidized flavor with a bit of sour citrusy fruit and some dry grassy hops with a touch of sweet oranges. Very underwhelming flavor overall

Mouthfeel is very warm and super dry.

Not the most drinkable Beer. I liked the idea, not so much the execution.

07-24-2008 21:32:18 | More by bashiba
TheSarge

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

I poured this brew into a tulip and it presents itself perfectly, with three fingers thick off white head, and has a copper cloudy body.

The aroma is faint. I detect a slight metallic hops aroma and a weird wood like fragrance.

The taste is quite vegatable in character. It almost seems as though leafy greens. It does finish a bit sweet with caramel/vanilla flavor, and that saves me from having to trash this beer.

In the mouth feel, it there is a lot of carbonation as usual, and the alcohol is hidden decently. This beer is a kind of let down, but not a horrible beer... I just expect more from Avery than this.

08-20-2010 01:09:41 | More by TheSarge
duckrabbitfan

cloudy, off-white head

dates, rasins, and what not... average.

a bit too sweet, and lacking in certain areas. not what i expect of one of my favorite styles.

little lacing or carbonation; this was the most disappointing aspect.

this one's a misfire for avery, and that is absolutely the only time i've ever said that. lots of areas for improvement.

01-16-2012 02:51:50 | More by duckrabbitfan
Risser09

Sampled As Part Of Phatz's Sour Beer Tasting - Review Is From Notes

Appearance: Brown with a tinge of gold. Head is white and has moderate retention. Very little lace remains. There seems to be plenty of carbonation.

Smell: Initially it smells like old beer-well, it is sour after all. Earthy aromas include peat, wood and malt.

Taste: The taste is woody and full of malt. This reminds me of a high-end malt liquor. I can taste the brettamyces? bacteria. Not souring to me, but could be for others. I think the earthy flavors have a strangle hold on this one.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly and funky. Smoothe with sort of an annoying aftertaste. Again, feels like malt liquor.

Drinkability: This is a decent beer that I probably won't revisit unless it's the best thing available. For $10 a bottle, I could do much better.

03-27-2007 23:14:38 | More by Risser09
jrallen34

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

I drank this from a 22oz into my Orval glass.

The beer poursa two toned brown, the top is light apple cider and bottom and middle is a much darker brown, some floaties in there. The head is light medium tan, gone right away.

The aroma has a little much going on here, its like they really just added to beers together. On the front there is a lot of nutmeg, some banana, cinammon, and alcohol at the end. Just too strong and doesn't work.

The taste is ok, not bad, just kinda boring and confusing too much going on.

Overall, not great, I wouldn't recommend this.

04-18-2010 00:41:16 | More by jrallen34
doughanson78

Washington

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Batch #4 Feb. 2010

A: Dark amber. Some sediment slight haze. Finger and a half white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Sweet cherry raisin. Dates. A touch of sourness. A little nuttiness. Caramel. Belgian yeast. Very light chocolate. Brown sugar. Pretty complex. Not well blended. Slightly ashy.

T: Caramel. Raisins, dates, figs. cherries. Touch of chocolate. Belgian yeast. Brown sugar. Finishing with alcohol. Again fairly complex but the flavors are a mess.

M: Medium body. Low carbonation. Light creaminess. Alcohol bite.

O: Was happy when I seen this on the shelf. Never heard of it and it was already aged for me. Glad I only paid $6.99. Not digging this at all.

11-11-2011 19:45:18 | More by doughanson78
blackearth

2.85/5  rDev -27.1%

Purchased from Consumer Beverage in Hales Corners, WI. Poured from the bottle into a snifter yielded a deep, dark orange body with a thin cap of foam. Aroma is mostly of yeasty esters with some hint of malt sweetness. Mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy. Extremely malty and sweet. The alcohol is well hidden. This is a decent beer, but didn't win me over.

07-29-2009 16:53:52 | More by blackearth
sendsilk

2.88/5  rDev -26.3%

This is seriously disappointing considering I used to love Belgian Dark Ales. I am into stouts now and although I will try to keep the style in mind, this does not seem very promising. Not bad, just not great.

$12 for a 22 oz.

Not much lacing but a burnt orange color, looks pretty good for the style.

S- Smells of bread and bananas. Actually a pretty (bready) good smell for the style.

T- Cloves on top of a clove pie with clove, banana and bread inside. Crap, I just bought 4 of these at $12 a pop because one of my beer guys REALLY suggested it. I guess he'll fill his quota of this for the week. Gotta talk to him about this.

Carbonation is nice, but I really don't think I will investigate this one again.. Is it a Tripel? That would explain my digust for this taste. Tripels have always been hard for me to take.

I'm sorry I did not like this, I really wanted to!! If you look at my reviews, I generally give high marks as to the beers that I review because if I REALLY hate a beer there is no need for me to chime in and kick a beer down and ruin someone else's good review/interpretation of a beer/style that they like.

With that being said if anyone is looking for some of these I have 3 more that I will definitely not drink so make me an offer for some!!

Matt