Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Collaboration Not Litigation Ale - Avery Brewing Company

Collaboration Not Litigation AleCollaboration Not Litigation Ale

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.72% ABV

Beer added by: FtownThrowDown on 01-23-2007

Reviews: 723 | Hads: 1,548
1.9/5  rDev -51.5%

I poured this screwed up brew into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was cloudy and kinda of orange. The beer was full of black flakes and all kinds of junk. The beer had a sour smell and sure had a sour tase with a sweetness that was sickening. I poured the beer out and will not buy again. If this is what they are going to Belgian to learn how to make I pity the fool that buys the beer. (391 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -47.4%

Dark amber color with a thin head.

Sesame/umami scent.

Dark chocolate or a roasted coffee taste. Clean finish.

Thick mouthfeel.

Overall, I wasn't a fan of this beer at all. The think mouthfeel combined with the umami taste was too overwhelming for me. (255 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -44.9%

Collaboration Not Litigation poured brown and cloudy topped by a creamy, off-white head and good lacing left on the goblet. Aromas of orchard fruit, banana, orange peel, a hint of grapefruit and pine. Flavor started bright with banana, cloves and pine with a bitter finish. Body was medium-full with relatively high carbonation and a dry finish.

A great team is greater than the sum of it's individual players. This is more like the 2006 Yankees. Hall of Fame players, disappointing result. The beauty of RR's finesse is obliterated by Avery's power. (553 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -43.9%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 9/28/11
*From notes

-- Batch No 3 --

A: Unfiltered, dirty cider. A decent pour yields a one finger head that fade fast and zero lacing.

S: Sun dried apricots that've been sitting in the sun a bit too long.

T: Uninspiried and kinda bland, to be honest. Cigarette ashtray up front to mid. The finish is overly sweet and yeasty. Blech!

M: Meh. Thin and slick.

O: Avery/RR's Collaboration Not Litigation was a pretty big dissapointment. Maybe it was me, maybe cellaring this for a year was a mistake. Regardless, this hit the drain, and isn't a beer I'd return to. I'd go so far as to call this the redheaded brainchild of two great breweries.

A certifiable miss. (709 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

batch #3 bottled feb. 2009

pours copper amber with a 2+ finger head that left spotted lacing

smells musty earthy hops fruity

taste - i dont get BSD here - more like saison - musty moth balls fruity malts and earthy hops

mouthfeel is medium body with good carbonation very creamy and smooth

drinkability - hey when the taste is not there - why do i want to drink it (369 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -30.1%

On tap
Pours a rich golden amber with a creamy beige head. A malty faint belgian yeast character and wheaty, caramel in the nose as well. Taste is creamy, smooth and simple with brown malt and yeast flavors. On the lightly sweeter side. Softly carbonated and medium bodied. Drinkable. (285 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -29.3%

batch 4

The beer looks decent, it's fairly clear. The head is decent with decent retention, but the body is just too clear and clean. It would be awesome if it just was a bit dirtier and hazier.

The smell is Belgian. somewhat like a saison. Mostly dominated by the yeast with some caramelly notes in the background. I would have liked a sharper Belgian spice,

The taste is along the same lines. Belgiany, like a dirty, dark saison. Nothing great or special. It's a bit too thin, and not much spicy i do get some fruityness in the beer reminds me of apples

the beer is drinkable and decent nothing to go crazy about (621 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

I drank this from a 22oz into my Orval glass.

The beer poursa two toned brown, the top is light apple cider and bottom and middle is a much darker brown, some floaties in there. The head is light medium tan, gone right away.

The aroma has a little much going on here, its like they really just added to beers together. On the front there is a lot of nutmeg, some banana, cinammon, and alcohol at the end. Just too strong and doesn't work.

The taste is ok, not bad, just kinda boring and confusing too much going on.

Overall, not great, I wouldn't recommend this. (568 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -27.8%

cloudy, off-white head

dates, rasins, and what not... average.

a bit too sweet, and lacking in certain areas. not what i expect of one of my favorite styles.

little lacing or carbonation; this was the most disappointing aspect.

this one's a misfire for avery, and that is absolutely the only time i've ever said that. lots of areas for improvement. (352 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

Purchased from Consumer Beverage in Hales Corners, WI. Poured from the bottle into a snifter yielded a deep, dark orange body with a thin cap of foam. Aroma is mostly of yeasty esters with some hint of malt sweetness. Mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy. Extremely malty and sweet. The alcohol is well hidden. This is a decent beer, but didn't win me over. (356 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured a dark amber with a soup ring of a head with some minor lacing and a bit of sediment.

Smell has a yeasty funk quality to it with a touch of sweet dark fruit.

Has a very tinny and oxidized flavor with a bit of sour citrusy fruit and some dry grassy hops with a touch of sweet oranges. Very underwhelming flavor overall

Mouthfeel is very warm and super dry.

Not the most drinkable Beer. I liked the idea, not so much the execution. (440 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Sampled As Part Of Phatz's Sour Beer Tasting - Review Is From Notes

Appearance: Brown with a tinge of gold. Head is white and has moderate retention. Very little lace remains. There seems to be plenty of carbonation.

Smell: Initially it smells like old beer-well, it is sour after all. Earthy aromas include peat, wood and malt.

Taste: The taste is woody and full of malt. This reminds me of a high-end malt liquor. I can taste the brettamyces? bacteria. Not souring to me, but could be for others. I think the earthy flavors have a strangle hold on this one.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly and funky. Smoothe with sort of an annoying aftertaste. Again, feels like malt liquor.

Drinkability: This is a decent beer that I probably won't revisit unless it's the best thing available. For $10 a bottle, I could do much better. (825 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -27%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Batch #4 Feb. 2010

A: Dark amber. Some sediment slight haze. Finger and a half white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Sweet cherry raisin. Dates. A touch of sourness. A little nuttiness. Caramel. Belgian yeast. Very light chocolate. Brown sugar. Pretty complex. Not well blended. Slightly ashy.

T: Caramel. Raisins, dates, figs. cherries. Touch of chocolate. Belgian yeast. Brown sugar. Finishing with alcohol. Again fairly complex but the flavors are a mess.

M: Medium body. Low carbonation. Light creaminess. Alcohol bite.

O: Was happy when I seen this on the shelf. Never heard of it and it was already aged for me. Glad I only paid $6.99. Not digging this at all. (715 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -26.8%

I poured this brew into a tulip and it presents itself perfectly, with three fingers thick off white head, and has a copper cloudy body.

The aroma is faint. I detect a slight metallic hops aroma and a weird wood like fragrance.

The taste is quite vegatable in character. It almost seems as though leafy greens. It does finish a bit sweet with caramel/vanilla flavor, and that saves me from having to trash this beer.

In the mouth feel, it there is a lot of carbonation as usual, and the alcohol is hidden decently. This beer is a kind of let down, but not a horrible beer... I just expect more from Avery than this. (618 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -26%

A mixture of Salvations...
Like the idea but not so much the beer...
Pours a deep amber to a deep reddish brown. The head that does form is off white but quickly goes away to a small bit of white foam.
Smells of fruit cake or candy with booze. Some spices are there, coriander is the one that I can detect most easily. Sweet, almost rotting fruit scents at times.
Tastes speak of the scents with molasses thrown in. The mouthfeel makes me think I've just eaten something with too much cinnamon in it, though cinnamon isn't necessarily in the flavor.
I think I've had Avery's Salvation and recall not digging it so much. If I had to guess it's the Avery brew that's responsible for what I'm not liking about this brew. I find myself not wanting to finish the bottle. (770 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%

This is seriously disappointing considering I used to love Belgian Dark Ales. I am into stouts now and although I will try to keep the style in mind, this does not seem very promising. Not bad, just not great.

$12 for a 22 oz.

Not much lacing but a burnt orange color, looks pretty good for the style.

S- Smells of bread and bananas. Actually a pretty (bready) good smell for the style.

T- Cloves on top of a clove pie with clove, banana and bread inside. Crap, I just bought 4 of these at $12 a pop because one of my beer guys REALLY suggested it. I guess he'll fill his quota of this for the week. Gotta talk to him about this.

Carbonation is nice, but I really don't think I will investigate this one again.. Is it a Tripel? That would explain my digust for this taste. Tripels have always been hard for me to take.

I'm sorry I did not like this, I really wanted to!! If you look at my reviews, I generally give high marks as to the beers that I review because if I REALLY hate a beer there is no need for me to chime in and kick a beer down and ruin someone else's good review/interpretation of a beer/style that they like.

With that being said if anyone is looking for some of these I have 3 more that I will definitely not drink so make me an offer for some!!

Matt (1,278 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle - BATCH # 4 - into an Ommegang tulip.

A - Poured a deep copper with about a finger thick bubbly head. Nice soft and steady carbonation swims to the surface. Pretty cloudy, but when held to the light you can see through it. Lacing rim clings to the glass, but the body slides down. I was definitely expecting something darker and deeper.

S - All the usual suspects for a BSDA, but not as intense as I'm used to. The smell is there, but I've always been a big fan of that overwhelming BDSA deep and dark fruit overcoming your nose when you crack the bottle. Seems pretty balanced smelling, but maybe a touch on the sweeter side of things.

T - Not really much flavor for the style. The dark fruits are there, but there is no sweetness as the nose would lead you to believe. There are some great flavors in the background, but overall, seems like a all I'm tasting is the ABV. Seems like a watered down version of a BSDA.

M - A bit syrupy. Kind of like drinking wine with the mouthfeel of a beer.

D - Not my favorite BSDA by a long shot, but I couldn't resist trying the product of a Russian River and Avery collaboration. All in all, not all that impressed. Glad I tried it, but I won't be seeking it out again. (1,237 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -23.7%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Batch #3, bottled in February 2009.

Pours a murky, muddy odd brown color with a small light brown head with minimal lacing. Nose is really malty, raisins, dark fruits, molasses and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel is a bit lighter than I'd like but the finish is nice and smooth, it's very bready and yeasty with a light tartness that's nice but not over the top. Something is a bit odd about the beer though, I guess it's just an odd mix of beers. Super cool concept, not the best result. (520 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -23.7%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a brownish color and a cloudy texture. There was a big, foamy, long-lasting head. Very good lacing.

S: An odd aroma of yeast, malt, and a grassy quality.

T: The aforementioned grassy quality (at least that's what it tasted like to me) dominated the flavor, with only a few hints of malt and yeast to be found. Not a particularly pleasant flavor.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a smooth, clean finish. Medium-bodied.

O: While this beer has some good qualities, it comes off the rails at critical junctures (i.e., the taste). Very uneven. (592 characters)

Batch#5 -- ABV 8.91%

A - 1.25 finger head that grows and dissipates at a medium pace.

S - Yeasty sweetness and yeast aka Yeast, Sweet, Yeast in that order!

T/M - A semi spicy and yeasty upfront with moderate carbonation, almost a pumpkin pie like spice to it.

O - Not too shabby, overall an average Belgian style Ale. Killer 8.91% ABV in batch#5. Not too overpoweringly sweet or spicy as some Belgian's go. Meh, make up your own mind, I am not into this style so I probably wouldn't go there again!

PP (Price Point) - $10.99 for a 22oz is a somewhat average bang for the buck, Definitely worth it if you are a Belgian Ale fan! (632 characters)

Batch #5
Appearance has a hazed copper color producing a thin head with moderate dissapation leaving spotty lace. Smell of Belgian yeast, spice, dark fruits having a light barnyard note. Taste as with the aroma thats a little musty maybe even a little more barnyardy. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Ok for the style, have had better. (346 characters)

Bought from Hollingshead Deli in Orange, Calif. Bottled in Feb. 2009, Batch #3. ABV: 8.97%

Smell from bottle is a smoky flavor. A dark, golden color with a little fizz rising to the top. Smell in a pint glass is also smoky. Nice, mellow taste with a very slight candy flavor. ABV doesn't overwhelm the drinkability of this beer. Little sediments floating in glass as I pour the rest of the beer in it. A decent beer to try at least once. (438 characters)

Definitely not my favorite, but it's not a terrible beer. It's a bit on the sweet side.
There's a funny story behind this beer! Avery and another brewery (not sure which one) both brewed the exact same kind of and named it "Salvation". Rather than battling it, they named it, "Collaboration Not LItigation". (310 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -23.2%

Acquired this at Vintage Estate on my last trip.

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Orangey-brown body with bright orange highlights a finger of beautifully spongy, smooth head. Dumped some sediment in, so there are plenty of suspended bits. Wah-waaah. Spotty dabs of lacing.

Smells of Belgian yeast & a combo of cooked orange, nutmeg, anise, toasted sugar. Mild, funky mustiness. A rum-like, sugary alcohol shows up quick & hangs around.

Spiciness from smell carries through in the taste with a sweetness like yams & brown sugar. Strong alcohol, strong flavors that just get muddled together. Overly sweet & spicy in a way reminiscent of a strong fall or pumpkin ale.

Full-bodied & creamy with a quick & lasting booze heat.

Gotta say, this was pretty disappointing. The flavors were too heavy & muddy, alcohol too alcoholic. Really wanted to like this one, but it struck me as a generic Belgian-esque interpretation. (916 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -22.7%

Avery- Collaboration Not Litigation

Appearance- Hazy reddish brown with no head.
Smell- Sweet dried fruits like prune, raisin, and cherry. Alcohol noted as well.
Taste- Immediate alcohol but quickly being replaced by a strong candi sugar. Huge raisin, prune, and cherry flavors come out.
Mouthfeel- Syrupy sweet with an alcohol twang.

Overall- I drank 2 pints of this and it became too cloying. Not a bad tasting beer but very its very sweet and the alcohol is always present. (485 characters)

Collaboration Not Litigation Ale from Avery Brewing Company