Collaboration Not Litigation Ale - Avery Brewing Company

Collaboration Not Litigation AleCollaboration Not Litigation Ale

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.72% ABV

(Beer added by: FtownThrowDown on 01-23-2007)

cloudy, off-white head

dates, rasins, and what not... average.

a bit too sweet, and lacking in certain areas. not what i expect of one of my favorite styles.

little lacing or carbonation; this was the most disappointing aspect.

this one's a misfire for avery, and that is absolutely the only time i've ever said that. lots of areas for improvement.

duckrabbitfan, Jan 16, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Sampled As Part Of Phatz's Sour Beer Tasting - Review Is From Notes

Appearance: Brown with a tinge of gold. Head is white and has moderate retention. Very little lace remains. There seems to be plenty of carbonation.

Smell: Initially it smells like old beer-well, it is sour after all. Earthy aromas include peat, wood and malt.

Taste: The taste is woody and full of malt. This reminds me of a high-end malt liquor. I can taste the brettamyces? bacteria. Not souring to me, but could be for others. I think the earthy flavors have a strangle hold on this one.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly and funky. Smoothe with sort of an annoying aftertaste. Again, feels like malt liquor.

Drinkability: This is a decent beer that I probably won't revisit unless it's the best thing available. For $10 a bottle, I could do much better.

Risser09, Mar 28, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

I drank this from a 22oz into my Orval glass.

The beer poursa two toned brown, the top is light apple cider and bottom and middle is a much darker brown, some floaties in there. The head is light medium tan, gone right away.

The aroma has a little much going on here, its like they really just added to beers together. On the front there is a lot of nutmeg, some banana, cinammon, and alcohol at the end. Just too strong and doesn't work.

The taste is ok, not bad, just kinda boring and confusing too much going on.

Overall, not great, I wouldn't recommend this.

jrallen34, Apr 18, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -27.4%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Batch #4 Feb. 2010

A: Dark amber. Some sediment slight haze. Finger and a half white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Sweet cherry raisin. Dates. A touch of sourness. A little nuttiness. Caramel. Belgian yeast. Very light chocolate. Brown sugar. Pretty complex. Not well blended. Slightly ashy.

T: Caramel. Raisins, dates, figs. cherries. Touch of chocolate. Belgian yeast. Brown sugar. Finishing with alcohol. Again fairly complex but the flavors are a mess.

M: Medium body. Low carbonation. Light creaminess. Alcohol bite.

O: Was happy when I seen this on the shelf. Never heard of it and it was already aged for me. Glad I only paid $6.99. Not digging this at all.

doughanson78, Nov 11, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -26.9%

Purchased from Consumer Beverage in Hales Corners, WI. Poured from the bottle into a snifter yielded a deep, dark orange body with a thin cap of foam. Aroma is mostly of yeasty esters with some hint of malt sweetness. Mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy. Extremely malty and sweet. The alcohol is well hidden. This is a decent beer, but didn't win me over.

blackearth, Jul 29, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -26.2%

This is seriously disappointing considering I used to love Belgian Dark Ales. I am into stouts now and although I will try to keep the style in mind, this does not seem very promising. Not bad, just not great.

$12 for a 22 oz.

Not much lacing but a burnt orange color, looks pretty good for the style.

S- Smells of bread and bananas. Actually a pretty (bready) good smell for the style.

T- Cloves on top of a clove pie with clove, banana and bread inside. Crap, I just bought 4 of these at $12 a pop because one of my beer guys REALLY suggested it. I guess he'll fill his quota of this for the week. Gotta talk to him about this.

Carbonation is nice, but I really don't think I will investigate this one again.. Is it a Tripel? That would explain my digust for this taste. Tripels have always been hard for me to take.

I'm sorry I did not like this, I really wanted to!! If you look at my reviews, I generally give high marks as to the beers that I review because if I REALLY hate a beer there is no need for me to chime in and kick a beer down and ruin someone else's good review/interpretation of a beer/style that they like.

With that being said if anyone is looking for some of these I have 3 more that I will definitely not drink so make me an offer for some!!

Matt

sendsilk, Feb 06, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -26.2%

A mixture of Salvations...
Like the idea but not so much the beer...
Pours a deep amber to a deep reddish brown. The head that does form is off white but quickly goes away to a small bit of white foam.
Smells of fruit cake or candy with booze. Some spices are there, coriander is the one that I can detect most easily. Sweet, almost rotting fruit scents at times.
Tastes speak of the scents with molasses thrown in. The mouthfeel makes me think I've just eaten something with too much cinnamon in it, though cinnamon isn't necessarily in the flavor.
I think I've had Avery's Salvation and recall not digging it so much. If I had to guess it's the Avery brew that's responsible for what I'm not liking about this brew. I find myself not wanting to finish the bottle.

ommegangpbr, Aug 18, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from 22oz bottle - BATCH # 4 - into an Ommegang tulip.

A - Poured a deep copper with about a finger thick bubbly head. Nice soft and steady carbonation swims to the surface. Pretty cloudy, but when held to the light you can see through it. Lacing rim clings to the glass, but the body slides down. I was definitely expecting something darker and deeper.

S - All the usual suspects for a BSDA, but not as intense as I'm used to. The smell is there, but I've always been a big fan of that overwhelming BDSA deep and dark fruit overcoming your nose when you crack the bottle. Seems pretty balanced smelling, but maybe a touch on the sweeter side of things.

T - Not really much flavor for the style. The dark fruits are there, but there is no sweetness as the nose would lead you to believe. There are some great flavors in the background, but overall, seems like a all I'm tasting is the ABV. Seems like a watered down version of a BSDA.

M - A bit syrupy. Kind of like drinking wine with the mouthfeel of a beer.

D - Not my favorite BSDA by a long shot, but I couldn't resist trying the product of a Russian River and Avery collaboration. All in all, not all that impressed. Glad I tried it, but I won't be seeking it out again.

cosmicevan, Apr 20, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -24.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a brownish color and a cloudy texture. There was a big, foamy, long-lasting head. Very good lacing.

S: An odd aroma of yeast, malt, and a grassy quality.

T: The aforementioned grassy quality (at least that's what it tasted like to me) dominated the flavor, with only a few hints of malt and yeast to be found. Not a particularly pleasant flavor.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a smooth, clean finish. Medium-bodied.

O: While this beer has some good qualities, it comes off the rails at critical junctures (i.e., the taste). Very uneven.

avalon07, Nov 02, 2011

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Batch #3, bottled in February 2009.

Pours a murky, muddy odd brown color with a small light brown head with minimal lacing. Nose is really malty, raisins, dark fruits, molasses and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel is a bit lighter than I'd like but the finish is nice and smooth, it's very bready and yeasty with a light tartness that's nice but not over the top. Something is a bit odd about the beer though, I guess it's just an odd mix of beers. Super cool concept, not the best result.

kingcrowing, Nov 12, 2010

BeccaH, Sep 12, 2014

ShanePB, Aug 30, 2013

Kirch, Dec 27, 2011

aranton, Mar 27, 2013

Acquired this at Vintage Estate on my last trip.

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Orangey-brown body with bright orange highlights a finger of beautifully spongy, smooth head. Dumped some sediment in, so there are plenty of suspended bits. Wah-waaah. Spotty dabs of lacing.

Smells of Belgian yeast & a combo of cooked orange, nutmeg, anise, toasted sugar. Mild, funky mustiness. A rum-like, sugary alcohol shows up quick & hangs around.

Spiciness from smell carries through in the taste with a sweetness like yams & brown sugar. Strong alcohol, strong flavors that just get muddled together. Overly sweet & spicy in a way reminiscent of a strong fall or pumpkin ale.

Full-bodied & creamy with a quick & lasting booze heat.

Gotta say, this was pretty disappointing. The flavors were too heavy & muddy, alcohol too alcoholic. Really wanted to like this one, but it struck me as a generic Belgian-esque interpretation.

OneDropSoup, Mar 27, 2010

mportnoy, May 08, 2013

Batch#5 -- ABV 8.91%

A - 1.25 finger head that grows and dissipates at a medium pace.

S - Yeasty sweetness and yeast aka Yeast, Sweet, Yeast in that order!

T/M - A semi spicy and yeasty upfront with moderate carbonation, almost a pumpkin pie like spice to it.

O - Not too shabby, overall an average Belgian style Ale. Killer 8.91% ABV in batch#5. Not too overpoweringly sweet or spicy as some Belgian's go. Meh, make up your own mind, I am not into this style so I probably wouldn't go there again!

PP (Price Point) - $10.99 for a 22oz is a somewhat average bang for the buck, Definitely worth it if you are a Belgian Ale fan!

alexhahn82, Jul 19, 2011

Chuck_Hess, Jun 21, 2013

chrispoint, Feb 18, 2012

StubFaceJoe, May 12, 2012

This beer, like all of Avery's beers, is just over the top with stuff going on. I find this beer almost undrinkable. Whatever is there that makes it tolerable is likely from Vinnie.

Pours a nice deep rich brown with a sustaining head that is surprising given its alchohol content. The nose is all rum raisin and dark sugars, a little alcohol in the background. The beer is thick and rich like everything from Avery. Complexity...but not in a good way. I think its just too much to figure out. The moutfeel is big and bold, Full bodied but again, overpowering on the pallette. Its just not a beer that I'd look forward to drinking often.

Bummer.