Collaboration Not Litigation Ale - Avery Brewing Company

Collaboration Not Litigation AleCollaboration Not Litigation Ale

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.72% ABV

(Beer added by: FtownThrowDown on 01-23-2007)
3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

22oz bomber purchased for $7.99 at Bottleworks in Seattle at the end of September.

Poured a russet color that took on a more apricot hue when held up directly to light. A few floaties present, but not to an alarming degree. There’s a couple of inches of off-white foam. Modest sheets of lace that recede to spots fairly quickly. Defintely lighter than I thought it would be.

The nose starts off with a scent not unlike cinnamon and honey. There’s also a slightly grainy scent.

The taste starts off with a mild, honey-ish sweetness, and is then paired with cinnamon-and-cloves spiciness that balances the sweetness. Slightly dry at the swallow.

Somewhere between light and medium bodied, with a slightly slick, yet effervescent mouthfeel.

I remember a lot of buzz about this beer when it first came out. I like it, but I’m not overly wowed by it either. Maybe I’d simply heard too much about it beforehand and my expectations were too high. It’s a good beer, I’d buy it again, but I think I’ll try some other beers first before I go back to this one.

woemad, Jan 06, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

22 oz. glass bottle- color of reddish brown, with a thick tan head - nose of prunes, brown sugar, dates, and slight alcohol – taste of tannins, brown sugar, molasses, earth, alcohol, and port - body is medium, and with low carbonation – aftertaste of molasses, vegetation, and port

stephendr, Jan 04, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +10%

I have no idea why I have taken so long to pick this beer up and try it. Good things come to those who wait??

Pours a dark brown that shows heavy ruby hues when held to light. Head is off white. Nose is perfectly balanced I feel. Excellent yeast and sugar tones. Seems to be a touch of citrus on there as well. Flavor is very interesting. I have had Salvation by RR before, and I can tell there is some of it there, but I can tell that something else is cutting into it. Seems like there is a very minute aspect of smokiness. Nice levels of yeasty funk that seem interrupted by some invasive force. Feel has a good carbonation to it and the liquid is good as well.

Overall this is a very interesting beer indeed. I personally feel like I can really tell that there are fighting sides going on here. Perhaps it is my past experience with Salvation by RR. I guess it's all conjecture really. Overall, I think this is a very interesting beer. Definitely one worth trying. I should have tried it a long time ago.

RblWthACoz, Jan 01, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bomber served in a pint glass.

Pours a murky dark amber color with small floaties (more than traditional sediment) throughout the glass. The aroma and flavor are a surprisingly simple Belgian spice - very mellow overall, but bold and like tangerine jelly with cream. I guess it's nice overall, but I was hoping for something a little less run of the mill.

tempest, Dec 25, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy brown with a nice, dense, beige head that thins to a shiny film leaving trailing sheets of lace.

Smell: Woody, tart, and malty with a light fruitiness.

Taste: Lightly sweet caramel malts. The center is tart with some spiciness. The finish is woody with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, semi-dry finish.

Drinkability: Pretty good, it's tasty with some nice elements.

EPICAC, Dec 23, 2007

It's interesting... But I've been doing a lot of blending myself, these days. Blending of commercial beers. And when the beer is something I don't like the blend is usually really good. I guess I need to try blending of good beers, too, to see what that gives!

This one... Comes across, to me, like Hennepin but a touch lighter on the spices. At least... That's how I remember it. I suppose I'd have to do a side by side tasting to really know. And, well, yeah. A couple of big bottles of big beer? That's gonna happen? Not soon! Anyway, it's a fine beer.

charlesw, Dec 15, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

A: 1 PT. 6 OZ. Bomber, Bottled January of 2007 1.079 Original Gravity Alc 8.9% by Vol.

P: Pours slightly murky amber with an intense 2 finger foam head that quickly lowers to a cover and lace:

S: Bready yeast, sweet brown sugar and raisins.

T: Yeap, that is a Belgian all right, which I am trying to become acclimated to tasting as I have a hard time with the Belgian yeasts.
Starts with a sweetness, to the tongue and then roasted grains to the mouth with a runaround of dried fruit flavors and then a slight dryness of sweetness for the tongue.

M: Carbonation helps to bring the flavor package of sweetness and grains jumping into the mouth and one the first one that I can say that I enjoy the aftertaste.
Well balanced and finely constructed Belgian that is one that I would recommend to those who really like and appreciate Belgian style beers.

D: The sweetness is a bit much for my novice palate, but I an honestly say that this is one Belgian Bomber that I will finish to the end.

All BA’s should take note of how this brew was born before drinking, as it is the ultimate story of two breweries that came to a civil agreement when it could have been adjudicated for years. Instead, this beer is available to all without retainers, fees or litigation.

NitroGen, Dec 13, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

I am having this beer on my 25th birthday. I have had Avery's salvation, but not Russian Rivers; this is a combo of the two.

Poured into my De Garre Snifter.

It has a nice ruby, mostly transparent body, with a creamy off white head. Good lacing.

Nice malty, aroma. Caramel with a touch of acidity.

Fairly malty and sweet for a belgian. A bit off an oaky flavor is apparent. The acidity starts out nice, but as it warms it seems to add a bit of a burnt flavor.

Good carbonation, feels light.

I have been anxious to try a russian river brew; while I have yet to try a true RR, this one was a bit of a disappointment after having Avery's salvation. A nice beer, and definitely worth a try.

IPAcraig, Dec 10, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

A - Pours a deep brown with about 4 fingers of tan head.

S - Sweet and spicy, sweet tea, caramel, raisins, belgian yeast, belgian candi sugar.

T - Raisins and caramel with a tripel like sweetness. Brown sugar with a hoppy greenness and a bit of alcohol.

M - Medium to full mouthfeel with light carbonation and bit of alcohol burn.

D - I remember having this one fresh and I could disticntly taste each beer. It tastes a bit messy after giving it some age. Much better fresh.

brewcrew76, Dec 09, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Very excited about this little guy. Ive had neither of the contributors, so I dont have anything to compare it to. I dont get much bigger Avery out here on the east coast. Bottled Jan 2007, been waiting for my lips about 8 months.

a - Carmel, dark cloudy amber in appearence. Nice thick head disapating into magnificant lacing. Pretty thick layer on the side of the glass.

s - Belgian (lol). Light, some citrus, maybe hops.

t - Subtle, strong finish. Finishing flavor is quite complex. Id wager 3/4 of taste is in finish. Not sure Ive experienced this with a beer before. Belgian hops of course, though seems like lots of sugar used, maybe to make beer heavier? I guess there is somthing id like more of. Nothing wrong with it, though the taste is leaving me with waiting.

m - Nice explosions in the mouth. Remind me a bit of Rochefort quad. ABV is apprent late in finish. A very warming alcohol though, not a bite.

d - Id love to get my hands on as many of these as possible. I wouldnt drink them every day, though I imagine these would cellar very well. Id be curious of how they are after 2+ years.

JasonA, Nov 24, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

22 ounce bomber purchased from Cooke's Family Market in El Segundo for about seven dollars

Review #375

Bottled in January 2007, so this brew is close to a year old now and I think the age did this well, even though I have never had these two beers separately, even though I have one sitting in my cellar right now, and I have no idea what to compare to their individual tastes to, still needed to try this before it began going downhill

Poured into my Trappist Westvleteren chalice with a dark orange/light brown color and a 3/4 inch soapy white head that left a large amount of lacing throughout my glass, was not near as dark as I was expecting

Smell was nice, had a lot of different things going on as far as sugars and different fruits went, lots of malt, aroma was mostly sweet with some bread-like accents

Taste was full of raisins, prunes, apples, sugar, caramel, and bananas, it tasted more like a tripel than a Belgian dark ale, but that is probably becuase of the changes it underwent while in the cellar, had a nice dry beginning that faded into a sweet and fruity aftertaste, lasted a long time as well, has some bready malt that lingered, the quality of this one surprised me, the only thing I wonder is how much it changed, but I will never know because I was not able to try this fresh, oh well, great Belgian blend from Avery and my favorite, Russian River

Very carbonated still which was a surprise, this one had a nice full body

Could drink several bottles of this, pretty light although alcohol content is fairly high, very good, one of Avery's best, buy this if possible, even spend the extra dollar if necessary because it will not be brewed again, highly recommended

Floydster, Nov 13, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +18.4%

Bottled Jan '07, the label showing both Avery and RR Salvations pouring into a chalice, with the story on the side. Now, I don't thing I've had either Salvation before, so this'll be interesting.

Into a Duvel tulip, pours a darker mahogany with good head of an off-white color, whipped into a froth with a smattering of bubbles about and from below, lacing splashed all upon the glass, quite lovely. The aroma is quite full and rich, fruits and sweet malts abound, lovingly yeasty with a touch of spices, nice.

And it tastes just lovely, covers all the bases of a BSDA with ease. Starts off with an effervescent carbonation giving a strong and hearty push to a clove filled malty introduction, some candied sugars evident, sweets rolling through. As it rounds the corner, the earthy hopping becomes evident with the fruity load, a long finish yielding a collection of everything previous in a round, notably a very sweet, caramel fruity malt, quite lovely.

Now, besides your Black & Tan and such, this is my first of the new mixing fad, and I have to say, whatever ratio they settled upon, it works marvelously.

objectivemonkey, Nov 05, 2007

Thanks to grub for sharing this one with me.

Pours a slightly cloudy red/orange, nice off white head, some lace spots, head settles down pretty quick to a thin ring. Smell is sweet and malty, sugars, floral, some acidic fruit, light funk. Taste is similar, malty, very fruity, bread, light sour funkiness, dates, nice. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, goes down pretty smooth. A nice product from Avery, definately at the top of their list, thanks Russ!

Viggo, Nov 03, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer pours a cloudy brown color with a light amber hint. The head large, billowy, and off white. Lacing is thorough with chunks sticking to the side of the glass. The aroma is of caramel, nuts, anise, cream, and dates. The taste is a lot more lively than the aroma. Anise and dark spices play a much more pronounced role in it than they do in the aroma. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with lively carbonation, and a smooth texture. Overall, this is a nice beer. It might not be the best dark Belgian ale around, but it is still tasty.

KarlHungus, Oct 31, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A tea brown colored beer. Thick creamy tan colered head was an inch and a hlaf and stayed a few minutes. Massive amount of timy carbonation bubbles. Sticky lacing.

Burnt earthy grains and a slight yeasty note were subdued. Furity notes were also present but just like with the other scents they didn't really have much strength.

Chewy bread like flavors. Malt and yeast cominate with a light coffee note in the finish. Apple taste was dirty. Sweetness isn't overpowering, but there is very little bitterness to balance.

Clingy and thick. A light carbonation tingling didn't really help shift any flavors.

A decent selection. I would like this witch a rich apple dessert. A great blending from two great brewers. Definitly one to sample for Belgian lovers.

RedChrome, Oct 21, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Upon its dismissal from the 22 ounce bottle, the beer shows off a creamy light tan head that piles high on the mahogany body, after its disappearance, the lacing forms a tight sheet to obscure the glass. Nose is a conglomeration of aromas, sweet malt, bread dough, port wine, cotton candy, caramel, and spices, clove I think. Start has a deep malt sweetness, some alcohol bitterness at the back with the top moderate in feel. Finish has a personable hop spiciness, acidity tolerable, and the aftertaste dry. Magnificent beer, as “Belgian Strong(s)” are my favorite style, this was a most enjoyable beer.

Gusler, Oct 19, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Pours a light brownish/slight reddish color with a half finger of vigorously bubbling foam. Not much lacing on the glass. Some nice floating particles from the yeast in the bottom of my glass.

S: Not much aroma. Some yeasty, bready notes, with hints of fruit.

T: Heavy yeast flavors, with hints of cherries and raisins abound. Some breadiness and other yeast tones. Pretty tasty overall. I'm curious how it compares to the two original versions of Salvation.

M: Crisp, with a nice dry finish.

D: This is a good Belgian ale, with a unique story behind it. Blending the two brews gives it an interesting character. Nicely done.

YonderWanderer, Oct 18, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

Label says it was bottled in Jan 2007. Cherry red body, not far from opaque. One finger of tan head that hangs on for a while. Spotty lacing.

Very yeasty smell. Molasses, cherries and candy sugar. Not as full an aroma as some Belgian style brews.

Light cherry sweetness up front that becomes slightly tart and yeasty through the middle. Molasses starts to show as it warms. Dry finish.

Medium to full body with a natural feeling, subtle carbonation. This is a pleasant and easy drinker, the alcohol is hidden and the overall effect is quite pleasant. Thanks to orrshow for splitting the bottle.

elricorico, Oct 14, 2007

Purchased at Roy's Wine and Spirits, Ft. Pierce Fl while on my yearly fishing trip to the Treasure Coast. Bottled Jan 2007.

Appearance: Pours dark amber to light brown in color with a thick and foamy off white heads that faded slowly to a thin coating topping the beer. Sticky lacing lines the glass.

Smell: Lots of Belgian yeast character, fruity esters and slightly phenolic, hints of sweet brown sugar and caramel.

Taste: Starts nice and malty with dark sugars present, then the fruitiness kicks in with light banana, plums, and raisins. Alcohol is well hidden for a 9% abv beer. Hops make a very subtle appearance as and earthy bitterness lingers ever so lightly in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Rather light in the mouth but typical for the style. Highly carbonated and slightly dry.

Drinkability/Notes: Gald I had the opportunity to give this a try. A nice Belgian Strong Dark, lighter in color than most I have tried previously. Very fruity and malty with plenty of belgian dark sugar though rather light in the mouth. A very drinkable beer for sure. Seek and Enjoy.

SwillBilly, Oct 07, 2007

Sampled at From The Vine beer tasting Jan 26th, 2007: Hazy dark brown color with a medium thick bone white head that has good retention. Stringy lacing on the glass. Aroma of spices and yeast, along with touches of sweet caramel and malt. Rich body with an interesting flavor profile. It doesn’t seem to exactly fit in the Belgian category but you can definitely tell it is part of the blend. Flavors of hops and spices are predominant, along with some yeast and dark fruits. The finish is moderately hoppy with a sweet spice aftertaste. Pretty solid from beginning to end.

Dogbrick, Oct 04, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

22oz bottle into a snifter.

Pours a deep reddish color. Huge billowy off white head. Leaves solid lacing.

Smell is a bit subtle, when compared to the flavor at least. Smells of sweet figs and alcohol. A bit of winey grape in there as well.

Taste is very good, and very complex! Starts off with a twinge of alcohol and a certain leathery taste. A bit metallic in the middle with an edge of candi sugars and sweet malts. Finishes very complex. Chocolate and dark fruits replace each other with every sip.

Overall, this was a very good idea that made for a very good beer. Complexity stands out. Recommended!

bluegrassbrew, Oct 04, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +9.5%

A good Belgian strong with pleasing wine-like tannins and a bit on the tart cherry side. Not for the novice as much as one who appreciates the above. Dark reddish brown and yeast and wine-like aromas. Medium mouthfeel. Very quaffable. One of the best Avery products.

Sammy, Sep 30, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22 oz bomber. The beer is very deep amber in color with a 2-finger off-white head that sits very strong over the brew. Clarity is excellent, at least to start, and there is a modest carbonation working up. The aroma is a dichotomy between sweet and spicy. There is deep caramel and brown sugar with prevalent fruity esters in there. The spice is almost a little allspice in nature. I think this one smells nice. The flavor is more slanted towards a raisin fruityness and light brown sugar sweetness, with a solid spice that moves into a light bitterness on the finish, along with some distinct "green" flavors from the hop. It is very flavorful, with solid complexity I like the little kick from the hop on the finish that rounds the flavor out. Mouthfeel is thick, with a very light carbonation, almost none at all. This one is deceptive, as it drinks like it is about 6%, but it certainly packs more than that. This one is good.

kmpitz2, Sep 26, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

Received this in a trade with BeerTruth. I’m almost 100% sure that this was the very first beer I put on my wants list. As I sit here watching the end of the Cowboys vs Bears I can’t wait to take a sip. Drank out of a oversized wine glass.

Appearance- Pours a dark brownish tan with hints of yellows and dark purples. Fairly big one finger tan head that quickly recedes but leaves a soft pad of bubbly foam and a huge collar of sticky goodness. Lots of thick, puffy lacing runs down the side of the glass.
Smell- Dark luscious fruits dominate this brew with huge plum, raisins, apricots, figs and prunes. Maybe a bit of clove and a peppery spiciness. There is a dirtiness to this brew that is weird. Doesn’t have that usual dirty mustiness that some Belgium’s have. It’s just a raw smell. I’m assuming it’s the yeast but this nose is new to me.
Taste- Lot’s of doughy malt and semi sweet. Artisan (that the correct spelling?) water leaves traces of minerals throughout the brew. Reminds me of the well water from my grandma’s house growing up. Tinges of that dirtiness shows in the mouth but it’s not as prevalent as the nose. If I didn’t know any better I would guess that this beer was barrel aged. It has some flavor characteristics that I associate with casks such as hints of vanilla and a subtle oak. Kind of fruity but not in a familiar “dark fruit” way. Reminiscent of cranberry sauce, apricots and brandy. The most amazing thing IMO about this beer is that there is zero alcohol; it’s covered amazingly well.
Mouthfeel- Slightly thick and chewy and surprisingly slick with nice fine (again kind of reminiscent of casks) carbonation.
Drinkability- Not bad. This beer goes down fairly easy considering the alcohol content but it isn’t the best Strong Dark Belgium I’ve tried (although definitely the best American SDB I’ve had, though this may be the first). I’m really excited to try each beer that makes this brew up individually. Thanks again to BeerTruth, another great trader!

younger35, Sep 24, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Split a bomber of this with my good friend kboett77. Poured into a tall, rounded white wine glass. Great retention and decent lacing. It's a cloudy reddish-copper with a thin, off-white head. I can see sediment suspended in the beer. Looks like a fresh apple cider. Smells like one, too. Green apples, burnt sugar, tea, and a very green hops. Very fresh and malty character. Flavors of the cider and tea, plus a slightly biscuity malt. Again, the fruity and malty character. Slight hop bitterness on the middle and back of the tongue. Almost like the bitterness of a very strong tea. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. Very drinkable beer. One the most enjoyable Belgian Strong Darks I've ever had. Glad to see what came of this collaboration, and I look forward to more!

ndekke39, Sep 24, 2007