Collaboration Not Litigation Ale - Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.72% ABV

Beer added by: FtownThrowDown on 01-23-2007

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

22 oz. bomber picked up at Wine and Beverage Depot. in Totowa.

***Batch Number 2***

Poured this one into a tulip glass. The liquid was a bright orange/red color. There was a small two finger head which lingered throughout the glass, never going away. Smell was spicy and yeasty with a hint of fruit (maybe apricot?) The flavor was peppery, extremely spicy (cloves, cardamom?), fruity- grapes, apricot, peach, raison, prune. Mouthfeel was clean and fresh. I was getting some burning towards the end, but not much detection of the alcohol. I thought this beer was so well done. Great interpretation of the style and an easy drinker.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

I've had this before, but tonight I thought it was particularly great.

Poured a very nice caramel color with a lot of suspended murk and an attractive dark cream colored head.

Nose is caramel and sweet grains, rich and smooth malt, with some alcohol heat in the back.

Taste is very smooth, caramelly with some bright juice flavors. Middle brings out tea flavor with a sweetness that doesn't seem overdone. A little light on the finish, but overall embodying some of my favorite aspects of the style.

Feel is medium, very smooth with good carbonation and a nice mouth coating.

Drinkability is overall very nice. ABV prohibits drinking a lot, but the taste is very pleasant.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

What a great story. I can't help but love the friendship that exists between these extraordinary brewers. Collaboration indeed!

a: A hazy brownish orange body. Thin white head, patches of lace.

s: Sweet and sour. Some spices, clove is most noticeable.

t: A malty base with a great balance of sweet, sour, and spice. As in the nose, clove is most noticeable. Is has notes of banana similar to a hefe. Good complex flavor.

m: Medium body. Medium carbonation. Just right for the flavor and aroma.

d: High drinkability. I wish I had tried both Salvation prior to collaboration for a better sense of perspective. I will say that the end result is a great flavor.

3.46/5  rDev -11.3%

22 oz bottle (Batch 2, bottled 2/08). Pours a slightly hazy darker amber tea color with a smallish creamy white head that goes to a thin film that laces that glass.

The aroma is sweet malts, spiced bread, yeast, bananas and some dark fruits.

The flavor is some caramel malts, with bitter spices (cloves, bananas). It has a slightly bitter but clean finish. The mouthfeel is pretty full with nice carbonation.

Overall, a decent Belgian style.

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a three finger off-white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Cloudy amber color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Raisin/caramel nose. Flavor is almost sweet to start, hints of yeast and caramel, clean finish. Warming. $7.05 for a 22oz bottle from John's Marketplace Portland, OR.

4.29/5  rDev +10%

Feb 2009 bottling, 8.97% ABV.

Pours into my Bruery snifter a deep honey color. Lots of suspended particulate matter battles with copious carbonation bubbles. A three-finger white head forms and quickly turns into a frothy lacing with only a thin skin atop the beer.

Delicious aroma, a combination of sweet honey, light resin, fleeting citrus and a subtle, powdery pear/apple fruitiness. Yeah.

Sadly, the palate doesn't deliver the way the sinuses did. Softly spicy with a touch of light fruits and a slight bitterness at the end; there's really not much going on in the mouth, though I guess this is technically style-crroect. I was just expecting so much after those long, luxurious sniffs! The alcohol is craftily submerged beneath the taste, so watch out!

Texture is smooth and soft with a little dryness on the finish. Some alcohol warming in the belly. Just right.

Overall, a very easy-drinking beer of the style though stronger than it seems at first. Much better than the 2007 vintage reviewed below...
___

Jan 2007 bottle, consumed on 11/25/07.

Pours a clear dark honeyed brown into a tulip glass. A fine, persistent off-white head two fingers high forms immediately despite a careful pour. Copious amounts of bubbles rise through the brew.

The aroma has that brown sugar, yeast and spice (cinnamon?) character I associate with Belgian ales.

Mouthfeel is smooth, almost creamy. Flavors explode out of this one! Big and malty with a black pepper bite. Serious astringency and alcohol bite round this one out before a lingering yeast and black pepper finish. Substantial.

APP - 4
SM - 3.5
TST - 3.5
MTH - 4
DRNK - 3.5

4.41/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to Drdogbeer for this trade!!!
A - A very clensed ruby-brown that pour a thin vanilla head that disipates quickly
S - Great a plethora of spice, fruits, and toasted earthy hints
T - Great light and complex with a good balance
M - For the toasted malt and hop nature the brew carries it has no pretentious overwelmingness....Aka well balanced
D - Will drink anytime I get the chance to. Thanks to Drdogbeer and if any one wants to trade let me know!

3.07/5  rDev -21.3%

This beer, like all of Avery's beers, is just over the top with stuff going on. I find this beer almost undrinkable. Whatever is there that makes it tolerable is likely from Vinnie.

Pours a nice deep rich brown with a sustaining head that is surprising given its alchohol content. The nose is all rum raisin and dark sugars, a little alcohol in the background. The beer is thick and rich like everything from Avery. Complexity...but not in a good way. I think its just too much to figure out. The moutfeel is big and bold, Full bodied but again, overpowering on the pallette. Its just not a beer that I'd look forward to drinking often.

Bummer.

3.62/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is...*sigh* weird. Stupid adjective I know but it lends me to using it since I have trouble finding the words to correctly describe it. This beer to me looks nice as does the smell. The taste is amazing sweet but I wouldn't really want that in this beer. The mouth of this beer, to me, is thin and weak. I can grab hold of much texture or consistency. I would have expected more from two great breweries. I just really dont like this brew all that much. It's a good beer in the aspect of its not a micro but its not the best beer I've ever had either.

Overall, I wouldn't get this beer again. I simply would pay what I did for it. BUT hell you might enjoy so give it a shot.

Cheers

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

Okay, so Avery and Russian River both create a beer named Salvation. Instead of a copyright battle, they decided to blend the two together to form this tasty number.

Pours a brick/rust orange amber with a bit of a haze into my good ole' GuldenDraak chalice. Decent head retention, without sticking to the glass.

Aroma is tart fruit and burnt sugar...maybe burnt honey. I havn't ever burned honey, per se, but I imagine it to be something like this. Very clean and short lasting aroma.

Flavor is all over the place. The sweet seems to hit first, then a tartness. Spicy finish. Good earthy bitterness here, with grape, raisin, prune/plum. If this is indeed a 9%, then they mask it well. No alcohol burn or bite, but it warms you up inside.

Drinkability says 'keep going', but the ABV numbers caught my attention only in the nick of time. As it warms up, the drinkability actually increases, making me not want to reach the bottom of this bottle any time soon.

I have not tried either Salvation, which I now look forward to do side by side to see where each of the two is adding it's characteristics.

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A-Pours a rusty, hazy amber with a small creamy head that is a little bit sticky.

S-a Belgiany yeast with some brown sugar and dark fruit.

T-Very light and caramelly but in the finish a little bit like iced tea.

M-again, very light and smooth.

D-very light and easy drinking. Does not taste like 9% ABV.

A perfectly nice belgian dark ale. I was certainly expecting something that would knock my socks off given the brewers involved. Still nice to be able to give it a try though.

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Special thanks to Kyle from Gary's in Madison for this one... From what I understand, this beer got its name because both Avery Brewing Co. and Russian River both had beers named "Salvation", so they decided to combine their two beers into this one special brew... The result is a very unique, rich, thick, example of an outstanding beer... Pours a purple, dark, ruby-red hue with minimal frothy head that soon dissipated... Smell was very sweet and rich, with obvious prune, figs, and caramel notes pouring through... Taste strongly complements the aroma, with rich brown sugar, malts, and a distincly sweet honey taste... the dark, dehydrated fruit flavor is really present, and makes itself very well known in this particular brew... overall, the taste was top-notch, a real stand-out... mouthfeel was ultra-rich and creamy and really enjoyable... drinkability was equally very good, and the hefty 8.99% ABV struggles to make itself known behind a wonderful cornucopia of thick and sweet flavors... Definitely recommended...

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

Rust orange with a hint of brick red and a fine yeasty haze. The whipped creamy crown is an appealing shade of golden beige and has enough stickiness to maintain multiple foam bridges between itself and the glass. Meandering fingers of thick lace look good as well.

The nose contains all sorts of wonderful things. It's sweet and tart fruity, as well as being impressively clove spicy. I guess that's what happens when two such different beers are blended. At least when the brewers of those beers are as talented as Vinnie Cilurzo and Adam Avery. So far, the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts.

The same notion applies to the flavor profile, although I'm not yet convinced that the taste score will reflect it. Having said that, I still have a long way to go. First impressions suggest that what was best about each individual Salvation counters what was less than ideal about the other.

I found Avery Salvation to be slightly lacking in complexity, a bit too boozy and probably too highly hopped for the style. On the other hand, it was enjoyably sweet and orchard fruity. I found Russian River Salvation to be lacking in complexity as well, to be too sour for the style, but to be pretty tasty in all other respects.

CNLA is beautifully balanced. It isn't too sweet, too bitter or too sour, but is just right. Actually, this is what I'd hoped Russian River Salvation would taste like. That beer just needed more sweetness and less sourness.

The brewers won't divulge the proportions of each beer used, so I'll take a stab at it. How about Russian River Salvation (68.43%) and Avery Salvation (31.57%)? The flavor profile consists of bruised bananas and ripe apples swimming in a cocoa, caramel and candi sugar syrup, sprinkled liberally with ground clove. I don't know if this fine ale was this delicious initially, but I have the feeling that one year of rest has done it a world of good.

It isn't a bit surprising that two beers with good mouthfeels would equal one beer with a good mouthfeel. I didn't expect improvement here and didn't get it. To repeat something that I might have said in the other reviews, the body/mouthfeel is more than satisfactory for an American ale, while falling short of what is expected from a Belgian or Belgian-style ale. It's medium with a less than completely volumizing carbonation and a light stickiness on the finish.

I reviewed Russian River Salvation several weeks ago so that I could review Collaboration Not Litigation Ale having tasted each of its component parts. What I hoped would happen did, in fact, happen. The strengths of each beer collaborated and counteracted their individual weaknesses. This deserves to be a seasonal release if they can work out the logistics.

Avery Brewing Salvation: 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0... ... 4.0
Russian River Salvation: 4.5, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0... ... 4.05

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

So this one's been aged for some time now, I wonder how it's doing...

A: Pours a dark reddish oak color with a good one finger head

S: smells like a belgian! belgian yeasty stuff and dark fruit.

T: Apples, yeast, alcohol (but in a good way), brown sugar, slight yeast funkiness,

M: interesting mouthfeel because it stings the tongue, but in a good way, like eating an apple. It's like eating an alcoholic apple with yeast in it. ... but in a really good way.

D: I love good belgians, i'll drink them all night. This one is no exception.

L: A whitish brown two finer head. The color of the beer itself is a bright golden brown.
S: Picking up a bit of bubble gum right away. Brown sugar also stands out fairly prominently.
T: Very sweet dark malt right on the back. A touch of bubble gum goes along with some brown sugar.
M:Very light fizz, which makes for a big full round feeling.
D:Good. If not familiar with Belgium beers, this would be a great introduction.

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz bomber purchased for $7.99 at Bottleworks in Seattle at the end of September.

Poured a russet color that took on a more apricot hue when held up directly to light. A few floaties present, but not to an alarming degree. There’s a couple of inches of off-white foam. Modest sheets of lace that recede to spots fairly quickly. Defintely lighter than I thought it would be.

The nose starts off with a scent not unlike cinnamon and honey. There’s also a slightly grainy scent.

The taste starts off with a mild, honey-ish sweetness, and is then paired with cinnamon-and-cloves spiciness that balances the sweetness. Slightly dry at the swallow.

Somewhere between light and medium bodied, with a slightly slick, yet effervescent mouthfeel.

I remember a lot of buzz about this beer when it first came out. I like it, but I’m not overly wowed by it either. Maybe I’d simply heard too much about it beforehand and my expectations were too high. It’s a good beer, I’d buy it again, but I think I’ll try some other beers first before I go back to this one.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

22 oz. glass bottle- color of reddish brown, with a thick tan head - nose of prunes, brown sugar, dates, and slight alcohol – taste of tannins, brown sugar, molasses, earth, alcohol, and port - body is medium, and with low carbonation – aftertaste of molasses, vegetation, and port

4.34/5  rDev +11.3%

I have no idea why I have taken so long to pick this beer up and try it. Good things come to those who wait??

Pours a dark brown that shows heavy ruby hues when held to light. Head is off white. Nose is perfectly balanced I feel. Excellent yeast and sugar tones. Seems to be a touch of citrus on there as well. Flavor is very interesting. I have had Salvation by RR before, and I can tell there is some of it there, but I can tell that something else is cutting into it. Seems like there is a very minute aspect of smokiness. Nice levels of yeasty funk that seem interrupted by some invasive force. Feel has a good carbonation to it and the liquid is good as well.

Overall this is a very interesting beer indeed. I personally feel like I can really tell that there are fighting sides going on here. Perhaps it is my past experience with Salvation by RR. I guess it's all conjecture really. Overall, I think this is a very interesting beer. Definitely one worth trying. I should have tried it a long time ago.

3.49/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bomber served in a pint glass.

Pours a murky dark amber color with small floaties (more than traditional sediment) throughout the glass. The aroma and flavor are a surprisingly simple Belgian spice - very mellow overall, but bold and like tangerine jelly with cream. I guess it's nice overall, but I was hoping for something a little less run of the mill.

3.71/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy brown with a nice, dense, beige head that thins to a shiny film leaving trailing sheets of lace.

Smell: Woody, tart, and malty with a light fruitiness.

Taste: Lightly sweet caramel malts. The center is tart with some spiciness. The finish is woody with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, semi-dry finish.

Drinkability: Pretty good, it's tasty with some nice elements.

It's interesting... But I've been doing a lot of blending myself, these days. Blending of commercial beers. And when the beer is something I don't like the blend is usually really good. I guess I need to try blending of good beers, too, to see what that gives!

This one... Comes across, to me, like Hennepin but a touch lighter on the spices. At least... That's how I remember it. I suppose I'd have to do a side by side tasting to really know. And, well, yeah. A couple of big bottles of big beer? That's gonna happen? Not soon! Anyway, it's a fine beer.

3.9/5  rDev 0%

A: 1 PT. 6 OZ. Bomber, Bottled January of 2007 1.079 Original Gravity Alc 8.9% by Vol.

P: Pours slightly murky amber with an intense 2 finger foam head that quickly lowers to a cover and lace:

S: Bready yeast, sweet brown sugar and raisins.

T: Yeap, that is a Belgian all right, which I am trying to become acclimated to tasting as I have a hard time with the Belgian yeasts.
Starts with a sweetness, to the tongue and then roasted grains to the mouth with a runaround of dried fruit flavors and then a slight dryness of sweetness for the tongue.

M: Carbonation helps to bring the flavor package of sweetness and grains jumping into the mouth and one the first one that I can say that I enjoy the aftertaste.
Well balanced and finely constructed Belgian that is one that I would recommend to those who really like and appreciate Belgian style beers.

D: The sweetness is a bit much for my novice palate, but I an honestly say that this is one Belgian Bomber that I will finish to the end.

All BA’s should take note of how this brew was born before drinking, as it is the ultimate story of two breweries that came to a civil agreement when it could have been adjudicated for years. Instead, this beer is available to all without retainers, fees or litigation.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

I am having this beer on my 25th birthday. I have had Avery's salvation, but not Russian Rivers; this is a combo of the two.

Poured into my De Garre Snifter.

It has a nice ruby, mostly transparent body, with a creamy off white head. Good lacing.

Nice malty, aroma. Caramel with a touch of acidity.

Fairly malty and sweet for a belgian. A bit off an oaky flavor is apparent. The acidity starts out nice, but as it warms it seems to add a bit of a burnt flavor.

Good carbonation, feels light.

I have been anxious to try a russian river brew; while I have yet to try a true RR, this one was a bit of a disappointment after having Avery's salvation. A nice beer, and definitely worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Pours a deep brown with about 4 fingers of tan head.

S - Sweet and spicy, sweet tea, caramel, raisins, belgian yeast, belgian candi sugar.

T - Raisins and caramel with a tripel like sweetness. Brown sugar with a hoppy greenness and a bit of alcohol.

M - Medium to full mouthfeel with light carbonation and bit of alcohol burn.

D - I remember having this one fresh and I could disticntly taste each beer. It tastes a bit messy after giving it some age. Much better fresh.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Very excited about this little guy. Ive had neither of the contributors, so I dont have anything to compare it to. I dont get much bigger Avery out here on the east coast. Bottled Jan 2007, been waiting for my lips about 8 months.

a - Carmel, dark cloudy amber in appearence. Nice thick head disapating into magnificant lacing. Pretty thick layer on the side of the glass.

s - Belgian (lol). Light, some citrus, maybe hops.

t - Subtle, strong finish. Finishing flavor is quite complex. Id wager 3/4 of taste is in finish. Not sure Ive experienced this with a beer before. Belgian hops of course, though seems like lots of sugar used, maybe to make beer heavier? I guess there is somthing id like more of. Nothing wrong with it, though the taste is leaving me with waiting.

m - Nice explosions in the mouth. Remind me a bit of Rochefort quad. ABV is apprent late in finish. A very warming alcohol though, not a bite.

d - Id love to get my hands on as many of these as possible. I wouldnt drink them every day, though I imagine these would cellar very well. Id be curious of how they are after 2+ years.

Collaboration Not Litigation Ale from Avery Brewing Company