Collaboration Not Litigation Ale - Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.72% ABV

Beer added by: FtownThrowDown on 01-23-2007

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Special thanks to Kyle from Gary's in Madison for this one... From what I understand, this beer got its name because both Avery Brewing Co. and Russian River both had beers named "Salvation", so they decided to combine their two beers into this one special brew... The result is a very unique, rich, thick, example of an outstanding beer... Pours a purple, dark, ruby-red hue with minimal frothy head that soon dissipated... Smell was very sweet and rich, with obvious prune, figs, and caramel notes pouring through... Taste strongly complements the aroma, with rich brown sugar, malts, and a distincly sweet honey taste... the dark, dehydrated fruit flavor is really present, and makes itself very well known in this particular brew... overall, the taste was top-notch, a real stand-out... mouthfeel was ultra-rich and creamy and really enjoyable... drinkability was equally very good, and the hefty 8.99% ABV struggles to make itself known behind a wonderful cornucopia of thick and sweet flavors... Definitely recommended...

4.42/5  rDev +13%

Rust orange with a hint of brick red and a fine yeasty haze. The whipped creamy crown is an appealing shade of golden beige and has enough stickiness to maintain multiple foam bridges between itself and the glass. Meandering fingers of thick lace look good as well.

The nose contains all sorts of wonderful things. It's sweet and tart fruity, as well as being impressively clove spicy. I guess that's what happens when two such different beers are blended. At least when the brewers of those beers are as talented as Vinnie Cilurzo and Adam Avery. So far, the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts.

The same notion applies to the flavor profile, although I'm not yet convinced that the taste score will reflect it. Having said that, I still have a long way to go. First impressions suggest that what was best about each individual Salvation counters what was less than ideal about the other.

I found Avery Salvation to be slightly lacking in complexity, a bit too boozy and probably too highly hopped for the style. On the other hand, it was enjoyably sweet and orchard fruity. I found Russian River Salvation to be lacking in complexity as well, to be too sour for the style, but to be pretty tasty in all other respects.

CNLA is beautifully balanced. It isn't too sweet, too bitter or too sour, but is just right. Actually, this is what I'd hoped Russian River Salvation would taste like. That beer just needed more sweetness and less sourness.

The brewers won't divulge the proportions of each beer used, so I'll take a stab at it. How about Russian River Salvation (68.43%) and Avery Salvation (31.57%)? The flavor profile consists of bruised bananas and ripe apples swimming in a cocoa, caramel and candi sugar syrup, sprinkled liberally with ground clove. I don't know if this fine ale was this delicious initially, but I have the feeling that one year of rest has done it a world of good.

It isn't a bit surprising that two beers with good mouthfeels would equal one beer with a good mouthfeel. I didn't expect improvement here and didn't get it. To repeat something that I might have said in the other reviews, the body/mouthfeel is more than satisfactory for an American ale, while falling short of what is expected from a Belgian or Belgian-style ale. It's medium with a less than completely volumizing carbonation and a light stickiness on the finish.

I reviewed Russian River Salvation several weeks ago so that I could review Collaboration Not Litigation Ale having tasted each of its component parts. What I hoped would happen did, in fact, happen. The strengths of each beer collaborated and counteracted their individual weaknesses. This deserves to be a seasonal release if they can work out the logistics.

Avery Brewing Salvation: 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0... ... 4.0
Russian River Salvation: 4.5, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0... ... 4.05

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

So this one's been aged for some time now, I wonder how it's doing...

A: Pours a dark reddish oak color with a good one finger head

S: smells like a belgian! belgian yeasty stuff and dark fruit.

T: Apples, yeast, alcohol (but in a good way), brown sugar, slight yeast funkiness,

M: interesting mouthfeel because it stings the tongue, but in a good way, like eating an apple. It's like eating an alcoholic apple with yeast in it. ... but in a really good way.

D: I love good belgians, i'll drink them all night. This one is no exception.

L: A whitish brown two finer head. The color of the beer itself is a bright golden brown.
S: Picking up a bit of bubble gum right away. Brown sugar also stands out fairly prominently.
T: Very sweet dark malt right on the back. A touch of bubble gum goes along with some brown sugar.
M:Very light fizz, which makes for a big full round feeling.
D:Good. If not familiar with Belgium beers, this would be a great introduction.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

22oz bomber purchased for $7.99 at Bottleworks in Seattle at the end of September.

Poured a russet color that took on a more apricot hue when held up directly to light. A few floaties present, but not to an alarming degree. There’s a couple of inches of off-white foam. Modest sheets of lace that recede to spots fairly quickly. Defintely lighter than I thought it would be.

The nose starts off with a scent not unlike cinnamon and honey. There’s also a slightly grainy scent.

The taste starts off with a mild, honey-ish sweetness, and is then paired with cinnamon-and-cloves spiciness that balances the sweetness. Slightly dry at the swallow.

Somewhere between light and medium bodied, with a slightly slick, yet effervescent mouthfeel.

I remember a lot of buzz about this beer when it first came out. I like it, but I’m not overly wowed by it either. Maybe I’d simply heard too much about it beforehand and my expectations were too high. It’s a good beer, I’d buy it again, but I think I’ll try some other beers first before I go back to this one.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

22 oz. glass bottle- color of reddish brown, with a thick tan head - nose of prunes, brown sugar, dates, and slight alcohol – taste of tannins, brown sugar, molasses, earth, alcohol, and port - body is medium, and with low carbonation – aftertaste of molasses, vegetation, and port

4.34/5  rDev +11%

I have no idea why I have taken so long to pick this beer up and try it. Good things come to those who wait??

Pours a dark brown that shows heavy ruby hues when held to light. Head is off white. Nose is perfectly balanced I feel. Excellent yeast and sugar tones. Seems to be a touch of citrus on there as well. Flavor is very interesting. I have had Salvation by RR before, and I can tell there is some of it there, but I can tell that something else is cutting into it. Seems like there is a very minute aspect of smokiness. Nice levels of yeasty funk that seem interrupted by some invasive force. Feel has a good carbonation to it and the liquid is good as well.

Overall this is a very interesting beer indeed. I personally feel like I can really tell that there are fighting sides going on here. Perhaps it is my past experience with Salvation by RR. I guess it's all conjecture really. Overall, I think this is a very interesting beer. Definitely one worth trying. I should have tried it a long time ago.

3.49/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bomber served in a pint glass.

Pours a murky dark amber color with small floaties (more than traditional sediment) throughout the glass. The aroma and flavor are a surprisingly simple Belgian spice - very mellow overall, but bold and like tangerine jelly with cream. I guess it's nice overall, but I was hoping for something a little less run of the mill.

3.71/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy brown with a nice, dense, beige head that thins to a shiny film leaving trailing sheets of lace.

Smell: Woody, tart, and malty with a light fruitiness.

Taste: Lightly sweet caramel malts. The center is tart with some spiciness. The finish is woody with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, semi-dry finish.

Drinkability: Pretty good, it's tasty with some nice elements.

It's interesting... But I've been doing a lot of blending myself, these days. Blending of commercial beers. And when the beer is something I don't like the blend is usually really good. I guess I need to try blending of good beers, too, to see what that gives!

This one... Comes across, to me, like Hennepin but a touch lighter on the spices. At least... That's how I remember it. I suppose I'd have to do a side by side tasting to really know. And, well, yeah. A couple of big bottles of big beer? That's gonna happen? Not soon! Anyway, it's a fine beer.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

A: 1 PT. 6 OZ. Bomber, Bottled January of 2007 1.079 Original Gravity Alc 8.9% by Vol.

P: Pours slightly murky amber with an intense 2 finger foam head that quickly lowers to a cover and lace:

S: Bready yeast, sweet brown sugar and raisins.

T: Yeap, that is a Belgian all right, which I am trying to become acclimated to tasting as I have a hard time with the Belgian yeasts.
Starts with a sweetness, to the tongue and then roasted grains to the mouth with a runaround of dried fruit flavors and then a slight dryness of sweetness for the tongue.

M: Carbonation helps to bring the flavor package of sweetness and grains jumping into the mouth and one the first one that I can say that I enjoy the aftertaste.
Well balanced and finely constructed Belgian that is one that I would recommend to those who really like and appreciate Belgian style beers.

D: The sweetness is a bit much for my novice palate, but I an honestly say that this is one Belgian Bomber that I will finish to the end.

All BA’s should take note of how this brew was born before drinking, as it is the ultimate story of two breweries that came to a civil agreement when it could have been adjudicated for years. Instead, this beer is available to all without retainers, fees or litigation.

3.83/5  rDev -2%

I am having this beer on my 25th birthday. I have had Avery's salvation, but not Russian Rivers; this is a combo of the two.

Poured into my De Garre Snifter.

It has a nice ruby, mostly transparent body, with a creamy off white head. Good lacing.

Nice malty, aroma. Caramel with a touch of acidity.

Fairly malty and sweet for a belgian. A bit off an oaky flavor is apparent. The acidity starts out nice, but as it warms it seems to add a bit of a burnt flavor.

Good carbonation, feels light.

I have been anxious to try a russian river brew; while I have yet to try a true RR, this one was a bit of a disappointment after having Avery's salvation. A nice beer, and definitely worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

A - Pours a deep brown with about 4 fingers of tan head.

S - Sweet and spicy, sweet tea, caramel, raisins, belgian yeast, belgian candi sugar.

T - Raisins and caramel with a tripel like sweetness. Brown sugar with a hoppy greenness and a bit of alcohol.

M - Medium to full mouthfeel with light carbonation and bit of alcohol burn.

D - I remember having this one fresh and I could disticntly taste each beer. It tastes a bit messy after giving it some age. Much better fresh.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Very excited about this little guy. Ive had neither of the contributors, so I dont have anything to compare it to. I dont get much bigger Avery out here on the east coast. Bottled Jan 2007, been waiting for my lips about 8 months.

a - Carmel, dark cloudy amber in appearence. Nice thick head disapating into magnificant lacing. Pretty thick layer on the side of the glass.

s - Belgian (lol). Light, some citrus, maybe hops.

t - Subtle, strong finish. Finishing flavor is quite complex. Id wager 3/4 of taste is in finish. Not sure Ive experienced this with a beer before. Belgian hops of course, though seems like lots of sugar used, maybe to make beer heavier? I guess there is somthing id like more of. Nothing wrong with it, though the taste is leaving me with waiting.

m - Nice explosions in the mouth. Remind me a bit of Rochefort quad. ABV is apprent late in finish. A very warming alcohol though, not a bite.

d - Id love to get my hands on as many of these as possible. I wouldnt drink them every day, though I imagine these would cellar very well. Id be curious of how they are after 2+ years.

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

22 ounce bomber purchased from Cooke's Family Market in El Segundo for about seven dollars

Review #375

Bottled in January 2007, so this brew is close to a year old now and I think the age did this well, even though I have never had these two beers separately, even though I have one sitting in my cellar right now, and I have no idea what to compare to their individual tastes to, still needed to try this before it began going downhill

Poured into my Trappist Westvleteren chalice with a dark orange/light brown color and a 3/4 inch soapy white head that left a large amount of lacing throughout my glass, was not near as dark as I was expecting

Smell was nice, had a lot of different things going on as far as sugars and different fruits went, lots of malt, aroma was mostly sweet with some bread-like accents

Taste was full of raisins, prunes, apples, sugar, caramel, and bananas, it tasted more like a tripel than a Belgian dark ale, but that is probably becuase of the changes it underwent while in the cellar, had a nice dry beginning that faded into a sweet and fruity aftertaste, lasted a long time as well, has some bready malt that lingered, the quality of this one surprised me, the only thing I wonder is how much it changed, but I will never know because I was not able to try this fresh, oh well, great Belgian blend from Avery and my favorite, Russian River

Very carbonated still which was a surprise, this one had a nice full body

Could drink several bottles of this, pretty light although alcohol content is fairly high, very good, one of Avery's best, buy this if possible, even spend the extra dollar if necessary because it will not be brewed again, highly recommended

4.58/5  rDev +17.1%

Bottled Jan '07, the label showing both Avery and RR Salvations pouring into a chalice, with the story on the side. Now, I don't thing I've had either Salvation before, so this'll be interesting.

Into a Duvel tulip, pours a darker mahogany with good head of an off-white color, whipped into a froth with a smattering of bubbles about and from below, lacing splashed all upon the glass, quite lovely. The aroma is quite full and rich, fruits and sweet malts abound, lovingly yeasty with a touch of spices, nice.

And it tastes just lovely, covers all the bases of a BSDA with ease. Starts off with an effervescent carbonation giving a strong and hearty push to a clove filled malty introduction, some candied sugars evident, sweets rolling through. As it rounds the corner, the earthy hopping becomes evident with the fruity load, a long finish yielding a collection of everything previous in a round, notably a very sweet, caramel fruity malt, quite lovely.

Now, besides your Black & Tan and such, this is my first of the new mixing fad, and I have to say, whatever ratio they settled upon, it works marvelously.

Thanks to grub for sharing this one with me.

Pours a slightly cloudy red/orange, nice off white head, some lace spots, head settles down pretty quick to a thin ring. Smell is sweet and malty, sugars, floral, some acidic fruit, light funk. Taste is similar, malty, very fruity, bread, light sour funkiness, dates, nice. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, goes down pretty smooth. A nice product from Avery, definately at the top of their list, thanks Russ!

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer pours a cloudy brown color with a light amber hint. The head large, billowy, and off white. Lacing is thorough with chunks sticking to the side of the glass. The aroma is of caramel, nuts, anise, cream, and dates. The taste is a lot more lively than the aroma. Anise and dark spices play a much more pronounced role in it than they do in the aroma. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with lively carbonation, and a smooth texture. Overall, this is a nice beer. It might not be the best dark Belgian ale around, but it is still tasty.

3.51/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A tea brown colored beer. Thick creamy tan colered head was an inch and a hlaf and stayed a few minutes. Massive amount of timy carbonation bubbles. Sticky lacing.

Burnt earthy grains and a slight yeasty note were subdued. Furity notes were also present but just like with the other scents they didn't really have much strength.

Chewy bread like flavors. Malt and yeast cominate with a light coffee note in the finish. Apple taste was dirty. Sweetness isn't overpowering, but there is very little bitterness to balance.

Clingy and thick. A light carbonation tingling didn't really help shift any flavors.

A decent selection. I would like this witch a rich apple dessert. A great blending from two great brewers. Definitly one to sample for Belgian lovers.

4.36/5  rDev +11.5%

Upon its dismissal from the 22 ounce bottle, the beer shows off a creamy light tan head that piles high on the mahogany body, after its disappearance, the lacing forms a tight sheet to obscure the glass. Nose is a conglomeration of aromas, sweet malt, bread dough, port wine, cotton candy, caramel, and spices, clove I think. Start has a deep malt sweetness, some alcohol bitterness at the back with the top moderate in feel. Finish has a personable hop spiciness, acidity tolerable, and the aftertaste dry. Magnificent beer, as “Belgian Strong(s)” are my favorite style, this was a most enjoyable beer.

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Pours a light brownish/slight reddish color with a half finger of vigorously bubbling foam. Not much lacing on the glass. Some nice floating particles from the yeast in the bottom of my glass.

S: Not much aroma. Some yeasty, bready notes, with hints of fruit.

T: Heavy yeast flavors, with hints of cherries and raisins abound. Some breadiness and other yeast tones. Pretty tasty overall. I'm curious how it compares to the two original versions of Salvation.

M: Crisp, with a nice dry finish.

D: This is a good Belgian ale, with a unique story behind it. Blending the two brews gives it an interesting character. Nicely done.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Label says it was bottled in Jan 2007. Cherry red body, not far from opaque. One finger of tan head that hangs on for a while. Spotty lacing.

Very yeasty smell. Molasses, cherries and candy sugar. Not as full an aroma as some Belgian style brews.

Light cherry sweetness up front that becomes slightly tart and yeasty through the middle. Molasses starts to show as it warms. Dry finish.

Medium to full body with a natural feeling, subtle carbonation. This is a pleasant and easy drinker, the alcohol is hidden and the overall effect is quite pleasant. Thanks to orrshow for splitting the bottle.

Purchased at Roy's Wine and Spirits, Ft. Pierce Fl while on my yearly fishing trip to the Treasure Coast. Bottled Jan 2007.

Appearance: Pours dark amber to light brown in color with a thick and foamy off white heads that faded slowly to a thin coating topping the beer. Sticky lacing lines the glass.

Smell: Lots of Belgian yeast character, fruity esters and slightly phenolic, hints of sweet brown sugar and caramel.

Taste: Starts nice and malty with dark sugars present, then the fruitiness kicks in with light banana, plums, and raisins. Alcohol is well hidden for a 9% abv beer. Hops make a very subtle appearance as and earthy bitterness lingers ever so lightly in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Rather light in the mouth but typical for the style. Highly carbonated and slightly dry.

Drinkability/Notes: Gald I had the opportunity to give this a try. A nice Belgian Strong Dark, lighter in color than most I have tried previously. Very fruity and malty with plenty of belgian dark sugar though rather light in the mouth. A very drinkable beer for sure. Seek and Enjoy.

Sampled at From The Vine beer tasting Jan 26th, 2007: Hazy dark brown color with a medium thick bone white head that has good retention. Stringy lacing on the glass. Aroma of spices and yeast, along with touches of sweet caramel and malt. Rich body with an interesting flavor profile. It doesn’t seem to exactly fit in the Belgian category but you can definitely tell it is part of the blend. Flavors of hops and spices are predominant, along with some yeast and dark fruits. The finish is moderately hoppy with a sweet spice aftertaste. Pretty solid from beginning to end.

4.23/5  rDev +8.2%

22oz bottle into a snifter.

Pours a deep reddish color. Huge billowy off white head. Leaves solid lacing.

Smell is a bit subtle, when compared to the flavor at least. Smells of sweet figs and alcohol. A bit of winey grape in there as well.

Taste is very good, and very complex! Starts off with a twinge of alcohol and a certain leathery taste. A bit metallic in the middle with an edge of candi sugars and sweet malts. Finishes very complex. Chocolate and dark fruits replace each other with every sip.

Overall, this was a very good idea that made for a very good beer. Complexity stands out. Recommended!

Collaboration Not Litigation Ale from Avery Brewing Company