Collaboration Not Litigation Ale - Avery Brewing Company

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.72% ABV

Beer added by: FtownThrowDown on 01-23-2007

Reviews: 723 | Hads: 1,549
4.04/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance is so close to perfect, I rounded it up. Great head retention and brilliant cream colored foamy head. Nice lacing and nice rings are left behind. Medium legs with nice tearing.

Tons of cloves, red apple, banana. Smooth, creamy, milky, strong pungent.

Flavors are just a bit more harsh than the aroma. Strong, robust, tons of spicy clove, banana, kinda strange. Nice heat burn and missing a bit of fluidity. Even with the uneven flavors the overall feel is pretty nice and blended. Carbonation is smooth and even, a bit high, but fits. Sweetness is also just a touch high, I'd like a bit more dryness...

A great beer, but damn is the flavor different from the nose. It's definitely recommended @ $9/22oz. (719 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2010 vintage bottle poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter. 8.91% abv. Bottled Feb 2010. Pours a crystal clear light brown/dark golden. Head dissipates a bit when done pouring.

Smell is dark fruits, alcohol.

Taste is great, fine carbonation up front yielding to the spices, dark fruit and the alcohol hits at the end. More complex flavors but I can't seem to dissect them now. Big fan.

Fantastic carbonation makes this medium-heavy (more on the medium) an easy, dangerous beer to drink.

Waited a while to try this as I am a huge fan of both breweries. Have not always been a big fan of Belgian dark beers, but this is a great one to share with a few to sip and enjoy. (675 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Batch #6

Poured from a 22 into an Ommegang goblet.

Appearance: dark brown, almost dark gold in the right light.

Nose: Lovely nose - sweet, sugary; sweet wort; dark fruit, raisins; red wine.

Taste: What a wonderful taste. Very sweet - surprise, it's brewed with turbinado and candy sugar! A strong malt character. Molasses. Licorice. The dark fruit from the nose carries right over. Mouthfeel is similar to wine. It's heavy in the mouth but not overbearing.

Finish: It's like I just finished eating alcoholic raisins.

OA: This is a great BSDA and a welcome return to the style for me. While not my favorite of the style, it's a fantastic beer. I would love to try different batches of this and see how it stacks up.

4.25/5 (734 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is an interesting beer. As the story goes, it's a blend of what was Avery's and Russian River's Salvation Belgian-style.

Now, full disclosure, I've had reservations about about Colorado Belgian-styles for a while now. Their mountainous take on Belgium doesn't quite fit my palate.

Nice copper pour with a nice white head.

The aroma is rather odd. It's more like some kind of condiment rather than a beer.

But the flavor is rather good. It is unique. It's not a typical Belgian-style. We're dealing with an outlier here, but it is well balanced.

Overall? BRAVO! Way to step out of bounds and create an interesting beer! (628 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a tulip. February 2009 bottling, so this is about 4 years 7 months old.

A: Pours a murky reddish color. Creamy beige head settles shortly, but holds fast at a half inch. Spotty lacing.

S: Very fruity on the nose. Cherry juice and lots of red grape skin. Vinous. Spike of alcohol. Malt base of toast, crust, and a pinch of cocoa. Bready yeast.

T: Crust and cocoa at the outset. Layered fruity tastes come after: dates and figs, red grape skin, cherry. Spike of alcohol really flexes some muscle, even after the time. Bready yeast. Lightly rustic. Alcohol and fruit on the finish.

M: Medium-thick body. Full and a little chewy. Prickling carbonation. Smooth. Some alcohol heat, slightly tannic.

O: Having not had this beer fresh, I must admit that I have no real basis for comparison. However, this beer is still pretty hot, and I would only expect that to smooth out over time. It's very vinous and fruity, but still not as complex and refined as I was expecting. Just a decent blend as it stands right now, but I'll have to dig up a fresher specimen and see how it compares. (1,105 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

batch 6
rusty color, thin looking, no head to speak of, thin caramel look, cloudy.
smell is sweet. malts. this is going to be a little sour, I think.... green apple?
taste is sweet and tart. yes, I think green apple. summer fruits. not as sour as I was thinking. a little too sweet, but then I think I overdosed on the Belgians so hard that I have a difficult time with anything like them anymore.
it's a little thick. the appearance I mentioned was a 'thin caramel' meant to describe the caramel portion of the color, but this is kind of chewy. overall, I like it, though. seems everything Vinnie touches turns to gold. more people know of him than he knows of them, for sure.... this is good. (694 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I have never had this beer nor have I seen this beer. When we lived in Indiana we could get Avery beers pretty regularly, but they are not distributed to Arizona. This is also the last Avery beer on our list. This beer is a collaboration with Russian River, a brewery that makes some pretty incredible beers but also doesn't distribute to Arizona. You actually can only get their beers in the Russian River Valley.

I tend to like Belgian dark ales, so I am excited to try this. Cool story about how it became "golden," though. I like Avery and I LOVE Russian River, so chances are this is going to be a good beer. Cheers!

In the Glass: As I am pouring this, I can already smell the sweetness. Man, I can't wait to drink this! Maybe I can hurry through my nose notes! In the glass, it is quite clean for a Belgian dark strong, but it has a nice thick head producing a creamy lace. The beer also has a ton of tiny bubbles in it, but I am not worries about the carbonation on this one. I can already smell it, but let me stick my nose in the glass and see what I come up with.

Nose: It's sweet, but it has a weird metallic flavor going on. I wonder if the brewmaster from Russian River needs to start going back to Boulder to make sure this beer is on pace. I am curious, too, how that works… Does he get a case of bottles to try before it goes out each year? Anyway, the beer does have the sweetness that I expect from this style, but that weird copper aroma is creeping me out. I bet that goes away as this heats up. Now for the moment of truth!

Flavor: I am drinking this cold, so that might change my overall opinion of the beer. Perhaps I will take a sip now, and then let the second half of the glass sit so I can let it warm up a little bit. OK, here goes nothing.

That's sweet. I mean, I just ate a piece of cake sweet. GOD I love a good sweet thick chewy beer. This is slowly becoming one of my favorite styles, as they are all sweet and are all so different in terms of what the beer offers. There isn't a lot of complexity here, but it's cold. I bet the flavor really comes out as it heats up.

There is a book on the label, so let me go write that and come back. I bet the beer changes as it heats up. Be right back.

OK, I am back. I was right. The sweetness really starts to open up and you begin to taste those Belgian candied sugars. It is almost like licking a sugar cube. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they brew a batch of this. I would also love to try a different batch to see how it stacks up. This bottle if Batch #4. If there is a bottle of Batch #1 out there, let us know. I want to try it!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thick and sweet, and has a lovely finish. Even when I swish this around in my mouth it doesn't have many bubbles. I will say, when I move it around in my mouth, more fruity flavors are coming out. You would also never know this was 8% ABV.

Aftertaste: There isn't much going on here. Those sweet candied sugars are sticking around, but it isn't a bottle I could spend 2 hours with. I do want to grab a bottle from each brewing company and do a side by side comparison.

This is a great beer. I would like to try this on tap, too. You know, this beer might actually produce several more purchases. I want to try both the Salvation from Avery and the Salvation from Russian River, I want to try this on tap, AND I want to have all prior batches. Avery is a good brewing company and Russian River the same, and this is a great collaboration. Love it! (3,516 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - dark carmel color with some lacing.

Smell - slight sour smell

Taste - sour with a slight maple finish.

Overall - a sour Belgium style ale that in my opinion doesn't have a lot of depth. Typically I like this style of beer but was not impressed with this one. (275 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled: Jan, 2011 Batch #5

Appearance: Orange-brown with a nice fluffy white head. Laces the side of the glass well and leaves a nice, thin white layer on the top of the beer as you drink.

Smell: Very fruity with a light breadiness in the background. Apricot, prunes, maybe some raisins. Pretty strong on the nose.

Taste: More of the same. What you smell is more or less what you get with this one. It's very fruity, yet not really sweet. Thick and creamy, yet has a nice dry finish to it. It's definitely an interesting beer, though not really up my alley. I really like belgian strongs but don't consider this very representative of the style, which is fine. It's a bit one dimensional on the flavor side. Not too much going on, though the flavors that are there are big. Considering it's almost two and a half years old, I would have liked to have had it a when it was quite a bit younger to note the differences. Probably lost some of it's 'oomph' over time.
So all in all, I'm not a huge fan, but it's probably worth a try, especially if any of these tastes sound appealing to you. (1,091 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 650 ml bottle (dated January 2012) into a tulip.

A-The beer pours heavily with very little head. It is nearly still in the glass with only a random bubble or two visible. The brew is a medium, nutty brown color, and cloudy.

S-The smell is seriously sweet with a lot of dark, dried fruit. I detect fig, prune, raisin, brown sugar, caramel, and syrup. I suppose it is appropriate for the style, but be warned...there is some serious malty brown sugar going on here.

T-The taste is slightly less sweet than the smell, which is not saying a lot, but it does make for a more drinkable brew. Still lots of prune, fig, and raisin. The alcohol heat is mild in this older bottle when compared to a newer bottle that I had not too long ago.

M-The feel is pretty thick, with very light carbonation. It is a bit syrupy and the heavy feel doesn't do anything to balance the sweetness.

O-As a litigation attorney, this beer holds a special place in my heart and, honestly, it is not a bad brew. The sweetness is a touch out-of-balance, but perhaps I sat on this bottle for a little too long and it might be better fresh with a little more carbonation and alcohol heat to counteract the sweet malts. Anyway, as is, this would be a decent choice for a desert beer and it would probably form a nice reduction or sauce for red meat or game. (1,335 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled February 2008. Reviewed May 2013

Appearance: a nice burnt orange with a little brown. Very hazy but not opaque. A finger of a off white head that leaves a bit of a lacing.

Smell: mostly brown sugar. Smaller notes of dark fruits and grains

Taste: strong barley. Weaker but still there notes of fruit, tartness, brown sugar, and alcohol. Very subtle, very good and quite complex.

Mouthfeel: nice and heavier. Pretty sticky in a good way. Some sweetness left behind.

Overall: very tasty. I love the strong barley with subtle notes of the rest. The smell could be a little more like the taste but this is a great beer (629 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap served in a tulip glass

A - Pours a murky amber orange color with a fleeting off white cap. Mild lacing

S - Roasted toffee/caramel, yeasty, cloves, dates, golden raisins, orange tea, smells pretty sweet.

T - Sweet toffee malts, caramelized brown sugar, cloves, nutmeg, sugary dates, raisins, red delicious apples. Has a strong orange tea flavor that really stands out. Stone fruit mixes in well with the caramelized malts. Some peppery bitterness starts to build riding through to the finish.

M - Medium to full body but thins out as it sets, low carbonation, smoother feel.

A well blended brew that went down smooth. Not as good as I was expecting but still good. Glad I got to try it on tap though. (713 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Cloudy burnt orange. Beer clears as it warms. Momentary fizz fades to a ring. Not much of a head, especially for a Belgian. Good lacing though.

Funky yeast upfront in the aroma. Followed by a strong, malty sweetness. Maybe a little bit of tartness.

Wow. Not what I was expecting. In the flavor Very, very smooth and sweet upfront. Complex, tart, and acidic in the finish. No boozy alcohol. Really great flavor.

Medium bodied. Light carbonation. Clean, neutral finish.

I like this beer a lot. I can't get over how smooth it tastes, especially considering its relatively high ABV. I'll buy this one again. (607 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

3 year old bottle

Hazy faded amber. strong fig jam aroma, tootsie roll. Offensive nose but thankfully the flavor is much more delicate and a lot smoother. Nice almost sherry like sweetness on the tip of the tongue along with some of the flavors found on the nose. Carbonation is almost gone giving the beer a nice creamy body. Definitely worthy of ageing. (356 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

AVERY/Russian River : collaboration not litigation ale

These two breweries were to release a beer by the same name; instead of taking legal action, they brewed/blended this beer .

LOOK: Orangeish color, mostly clear, with a little sediment. White head forms and recedes to a ring around the edges.

SMELL: Dark fruits, raisin, Belgian yeast, brown sugar, toffee. Sweet breads and just a touch of alcohol.

TASTE: Rum raisin, toffee, sugar fruits, mild spice, orange peel, plum and date. Yeasy funk. Alcohol heat is minimal, just present enough to be felt on the palate. Light hops, citrus, butterscotch and grass. Semi sweet and very delicious. This tastes like a strong Belgian ale.

FEEL: Full bodied, a tad syrupy, well carbonated.

OVERALL: Excellent beer from two class breweries. Everyone can learn a lesson from this. Don't sue each other, just make great beer. (871 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Pours an almost clear amber-orange with a finger of frothy tannish head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of dark caramel malts, dark fruits, candi sugar, Belgian yeast, brown sugar, and some spices.

T - Starts off with a mix of sweet dark caramel malts with candi sugar, dark fruits, and some spices. Through the middle, some Belgian yeast comes through with some more dark fruit, some more spices, a bit of banana, and some brown sugar. The finish is a mix of dark caramel malts, dark fruits, candi sugars, Belgian yeast, and some spices.

M - Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet, fruity, and dry finish.

D - Very drinkable. Very well balanced with a great blend of body, malts, and yeast character. (800 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a bomber into an oversized wine glass. Batch No. 6. Reviewed from notes.

A- Two finger fluffy white head. Rich amber color. Medium clarity and some frilly lacing.

S- The strong yeasty smell of unfiltered Belgian ales. Sour mash, brown sugar, cloves. Dark malts.

T- Dark malts, some hop heavy finish and a yeasty taste.

M- Surprisingly viscous yeast particles in the feel.

O- I was kinda disappointed with this beer. But then again, I'm not super pumped on the style. (487 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

We crack the top on our bottle of Batch #3 from 2009. It pours a rusty, orange-brown coloring. It holds a two and a half finger head of light brown bubbles that swell and bulge out of the glass. Retention is nice, with sticky, cakey bubbles left around the glass as it goes. There is a thick haze to the brew, with flecks of sediment adherent to the glass. Carbonation appears to be lighter. The nose is bright and boozy, with massive caramel, toffee, and molasses sweetness. The nostrils sag, heavy with sugars and fat roasty malts. There are light banana esters and stark medicinal phenols. Warmth brings smooth cashew and almond nuttiness, coffee notes to the malts, big buttery diacetyls, and lactic creaminess. Our first impression is that the flavoring is very smooth, with generous contributions from dark fruits. As we sip, roasty caramel malts and strong toffee sugars blend with darker chocolates, fig, plum, and seaweed saltiness. The peak comes with sugars of those same dark fruits, with booze-soaked raisin, and pear sweetness. The malts remain buttery, with caramel, toffee, and roast to the finish. The last notes to leave the palate are more caramels and butters, burnt brown sugar, apple sweetness, light leathers, yeasty metallics, and light chalkiness. The aftertaste breathes of caramel malts, salted pumpernickel, seaweed, barley, lemon tea tannins, wet yeast, and grassiness. The body is on the full side, and the carbonation is average. There is nice slurp, cream, froth, and smack, with clean finishing pop. There is nice froth to the mustache. The booze and rich malty backing gives warming heat to the belly and breath. The mouth is cooled and thickly coated, with no real dryness on the back. The abv is appropriate, and the beer sips nicely.

Overall, what we liked best about this brew was the smoothness of flavoring, sweetness, and surprising saltiness. Both the nose and flavoring gave big buttery qualities, which matched nicely to the heavy, syrupy sweetness of the caramel malt flavoring. The nose was equally as robust, with great butteriness as it warmed. Finally, with the feel following nicely this is a fantastic collaboration between two exquisite breweriea. (2,200 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

22oz bottle into snifter. Batch #6.

A - Rich dark amber with a small bubbly white head.

S - Light dark fruit (cherry and plum), Belgian yeast, brown sugar, spices.

T - Sweet up front with dark fruit, banana, Belgian yeast, and roasted caramel malt. Bready throughout with a slight hint of nuttiness. Finish is spicy and earthy with plum and raisin notes.

M - Smooth and creamy. Light-medium body with crisp prickly carbonation.

O - An easy drinking Belgian ale with subtle yet complex flavors. I only wish the mouthfeel was a bit heavier. This beer starts to shine as it warms up, as the malts and dark fruit flavors become more prevalent. (644 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Beer poured from bottle into a Tulip shaped glass

Label reads: Batch #6 - Bottled Jan.2012

A - Beer pours with a light brown, toffee colored body; light beige creme colored head; bubbly in appearance; doesn't hold very well; moderate amount of lacing; slightly carbonated body; lots of visible yeast sediment

S - Banana and pineapple; very spicy yeast; grains of paradise; touch of caramel; toffee; once it starts to warm up you get scents of grain alcohol; brown sugar

T - Strong caramel and deep roasted malt taste followed up with a hint of banana; grains of paradise spice; coriander; white grapes; raisins and brown sugar; candy

M - Medium body thickness; sticky mouthfeel after the drink;

D - Overall its a very good Belgian Strong Dark Ale; balanced deep roasted malt flavor; love the visible yeast sediment (821 characters)

Batch #5, bottled January 2011, making this just about 2 years old.

A: Pours a murky dark amber. Large fluffy tan head. Fades slowly with decent retention. Just spotty lacing here and there.

S: Sweet and fruity. Lots of raisin, apple and caramel. Hint of banana and a touch of brown sugar.

T: Good amount of cocoa and caramel up front along with a more subtle dark fruitiness. Raisin is still there with a bit of apple and brown sugar. Earthy and spicy in the middle with a hint of banana. Finishes with a little spiced raisin.

M: Medium bodied, sweet and slick.

O: Overall a pretty solid example of a BSDA. Sweet and fruity with lots of malty flavors and some belgian yeast flavors as well. Mellow and drinkable to boot (perhaps a product of the aging). Enjoyable. (773 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Batch #6 - Jan 2012

A: Pours a very lightly hazy reddish brown in color with very light amounts of visible carbonation near the surface and a moderate amount of small white visible yeast sediment. The beer has a half finger tall sudsy off-white head that reduces to a very thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer and a thin ring of large bubbles at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of dark fruits (raisin and prune), spices, and yeast as I would expect for the style.

T: Upfront there is a malty presence that has the notes of brown sugar and caramel sweetness that also has some dark fruits (raisin and prune) present. The finish of this beer is all spices and yeast with a light amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with light amounts of carbonation. Smooth with some light dryness and alcohol warming in the finish.

O: Enjoyable and the beer is rather easy to drink for the style - the alcohol is pretty well hidden. I like the story behind this beer and both these brewer's earned respect from me for not litigating. The flavors and aromas are very true to the style. (1,168 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

I love the name, and the story behind the name as well. Excellent! I have been meaning to pick this dude up for a while, but just haven't gotten around to it. Side poured from a bottle into my Chimay goblet. That only fits well, since probably my favorite Belgian Strong Dark Ale is Chimay Blue, or Grand Reserve for you snotty types.

Appearance - Nice one finger, creamy head comes from a murky, amber brown body that continues to agitate and show carbonation. Leaves ridiculous lacing on the sides of the glass. Awesome presentation!

Smell - Dark fruits are powerful, along with sweetness, some malts, brown sugar, and a little caramel. Complex, but the fruits really carry the torch here.

Taste - Very much like the nose. The brown sugar and caramel first hit the palate, but the dark fruits take over after that. Fantastic brew, tastes awesome. It gets even more aggressively fruity and a little sour as it warms, I liked it a little colder, but some may like it warmer. Good either way.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, creamy, finishes very well. Moderate body with medium carbonation. Done very well.

Overall - Excellent beer that I would highly recommend. Stays true to style, very close to the bellwether of the style, which in my opinion is Chimay Blue. The two beers are very similar in all aspects. Go try this out! (1,319 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

2011 bottle

a clean deep amber pour with 2 fingers of off white foamy head. nice retention, good lacing.
smells of raisins, dates, nuts, grapes, chocolate, caramel.
a bitter-sweet plum-like flavor up front. nutty, also getting a weird taste in the back end of the palate.. almost mushroom-like. definite earth notes, roasted malts, caramel.
medium body with a good amount of carbonation, creamy, yet thin enough to go down smooth.
overall an EXCELLENT beer. i know it's just a cuvee of both salvations, but this is just damn great. (532 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a hazy opaque, mahogany-hued color with a very thin white head that leaves minimal lacing.

Aromas are quite sweet-smelling with notes of raisins, stone fruit and toasted malts. As it warms you get some light caramel and stronger emerging dark brown sugar/candy sugar with some cloves and freshly-grated nutmeg.

The tastes begin with the sweet candy sugar and lighter sweet caramel maltiness. Then you get the fruitiness highlighted by white grapes, green raisins and apricot. As it warms you get the spicy clove and earthy nutmeg component.

The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with medium carbonation. The finish has a very light stickiness and I wish there was a slight uptick in carbonation as is typical in the authentic Belgian styles.

Overall this was a nice beer and I appreciate the story of how it was formed but I feel the authentic Belgian examples are better and would always prefer them over most if not all American interpretations. Definitely higher on the drinkability scale but somehow just doesn't enthrall me enough to want to revisit anytime soon. (1,077 characters)

Collaboration Not Litigation Ale from Avery Brewing Company