Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Collaboration Not Litigation Ale - Avery Brewing Company

Collaboration Not Litigation AleCollaboration Not Litigation Ale

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.72% ABV

Beer added by: FtownThrowDown on 01-23-2007

Reviews: 723 | Hads: 1,558
3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into a tulip glass

Appearance – The beer pours a deeper copper color with a one finger head of just off white foam. The head has a moderate level of retention, fading to leave a decent level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is quite sweet with lots of candied sugar and a good dose of caramel and toffee. Along with these smells are a lighter grassy aroma and a bit of hay. Along with these aromas is a light bit of a bready and biscuit smell mixed with some spice and banana rounding out the aroma.

Taste – The taste begins with lots of caramel and toffee sweetness with a light bit of a bready and biscuit flavor. Soon some light yeasty and bubblegum flavors along with a bit of banana come to the tongue. These flavors grow stronger in intensity as the taste moves on with the caramel and the toffee fading a bit. While the caramel and toffee fade, the beer remains rather sweeter and malty overall due to flavors of some raisin, plum, and apple coming to the tongue along with a bit of a candied sugar taste. With a bit of a grassy and funky taste and some spice of coriander and clove that comes to the tongue at the end of the taste, one is left with a rather sweet, but yet somehow crisp and smooth Belgian strong ale flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the average side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is on the average side as well. Both are rather nice for the mix of sweet, malt, and Belgian flavors of the brew, creating a very nice easy drinking Belgian strong ale.

Overall a rather sweet, but still easy drinking Belgian strong ale. A rather easy drinking brew overall.

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Bottle is labeled as Batch #7 with a 8.9% ABV.

Dark honey body with a thick, foamy, sticky head. Sweet grains, apricots, and a little boozy smell. Esters and sweet syrup with a touch of peppery spice and some alcohol warmth; nice blend of hop bitterness mixing it up with the boozy tones. Medium-heavy body; semi-sweet finish.

This beer meets all the criteria for a Belgian strong ale: big malt flavors, spicy, boozy, and they all blend together and play well together. Bold and memorable.

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Batch #7 bottled in Feb. 2014.

Appearance: Pours a deep and somewhat hazy brownish amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About two fingers of off white head that fade into a thin creamy layer. Leaves a lot of lacing.

Smell: A yeasty, fruity, and fairly spicy Belgian style aroma with big hints of sweet dark fruits. Upfront Belgian yeast with hints of funk, clove, and peppers. Big fruit aroma with hints of banana, apple, pear, and grapes. Dark fruit hints of plum, raisin, fig, cherry, and prune. Sweet scent of Belgian candied sugar. Toasted malts with hints of caramel, biscuit, grains, straw, and toast. A little scent of booze comes through. Hops are very light. A very good aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a yeasty, fruity, spicy, and sweet Belgian style taste with big notes of dark fruit. Belgian yeast with spicy notes of clove, peppers, funk, and slight cinnamon. Big mix of fruit esters with notes of banana, apples, pear, grapes, and dark cherry. Other dark fruit notes of fig, plum, raisin, and prune. Sweet candied Belgian sugar. Bready toasted malt with notes of caramel, biscuit, grains, toast, and straw. Subdued hop presence. A very good Belgian taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with a medium to high level of carbonation. Creamy, juicy, spicy, and somewhat drying on the finish. A little heat is felt.

Overall: A very good take on a Dark Belgian. Good mix of fruit esters and spices. The two beers are combined very well and avoid becoming a overly sweet mess.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Batch #7

Nothing too unexpected here: Good muddy ruddy colour, kind of a hazy mahogany with a small foamy head that dissipates pretty quick, but laces up like it wants to ball out.

Fruity belgian nose, just what I was looking for. Candy sugars, green apple, pear, clove... linen? Standard belgian themes.

Tongue brings out more of the same, but less pronounced. Belgian fruits and spices primarily. While the news evoked more of the lighter fruits; the pears, the apples, etc, the taste is a little darker. More of the clove and banana and some prune and the like (I know, banana is not so much a dark fruit. But it's more here than there, and the rest is more this than that. Keep up!)
A decent little bitter/tart on the finish, but not much in that direction. A touch of yeast and some bready malts, too, but primarily the fruity spicy esters. Alcohol is not apparent.
Overall it hits the spot. It's a solid belgian from two breweries that are deservedly well regarded. Not out of this world, but steady, and sometimes that's just fine.

3.61/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Small draft pour. Thin white head on a orange/amber body.

The nose is esters. Apple, pear, banana, clove. And alcohol.

Noticeable alcohol with fruity esters of apple abounding and banana with some spicy cloves and pepper.

A lighter medium body with some nice carbonation. Finishes dry.

Nice bouquet of fruitiness but overall detracting alcohol.

3.54/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

Got this at Whole Foods in DC. Batch 7, bottled February 2014.

A - Pours a typical rusty red deep copper, nearly amber colour. Bright at first with suspected cloudiness later. Two finger off white head on top with good carbonation. Bottom of the bottle adds only a haze. Good spotty lace and good half finger retention.

S - Very mild. Yeast, dark fruit, sugar, sweet spice. Sweet fruits and sugar dominate.

T - Yeast, dark fruit, sugar. Brown sugar resemblance. Very, very mild. Some heat develops later with spice and some more developed maltiness.

M - Quite smooth, sweet finish, Good carbonation that tingles, very full body.

O/D - While seemingly a bit tame, this packs a big punch, the body is spot on, and the flavour is decent. It lacks a whole bunch of flavours that typical BSDAs typically require though, and falls short in so many ways. Maybe it's the youth of the beer, but this just doesn't cut it for the style, and falls even shorter for a collab between these two breweries who are clearly game changers in the craft beer scene. An expensive letdown. While it wasn't a bad beer, you'd expect much more from this stuff.

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Batch #7. Always been putting this one off and even though it's Belgian Dark always wanted to try it.

A very deep orange body, with darkest at mahogany brown, kind of looks like Pere Jaques but darker in my memory here. A creamy to fluffy light vanilla colored head, with speckled lacing. Makes about three fingers tall off the pour. Very fine carbonation all over, but very hard to see through this dark body. Pretty solid.

Nose is spicy with hints of clove, and hot dark spices. Kind of indistinct fruit, some sweet Belgian sucrose and good brown sugar. Pretty much textbook Belgian dark on the nose with a nice balance.

Palate matches with some simple flavors. Toasty cinnamon slightly, but not hot on the finish. Brown sugars and some candied fruit, possibly hinting at sweet cherry. Light bodied but in the palate but flavors manage to stick out nicely, it just barely hints at some creamy texture.

Overall it's not that bad, but I don't get excited about this style as much. It doesn't come off as a collaborated mess either like many collaborated beers I've had too.

4.09/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Delicious beer from two great breweries. I've had both Salvations hat are blended to create this beer and believe they may be better as individuals. The distinct characteristics of each beer is dulled. Nevertheless a nice Belgian ale that hits the spot.

3.87/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured effervescent amber with copper notes. Nice and bright. Thick and persistent off-white head laces on side of glass and leaves nice partial rings.

Very estery aroma with hints of pear, banana, and clove. Caramel background and a warm phenolic character.

Caramel malt, a bit of candy sugar and banana with clove and resiny hops. Flavor is full and nuanced. There are boozy notes on the tongue, but pleasant and well balanced.

Moderate body and carbonation. Warm.

Overall this is a pretty tasty beer with interesting complexity.

3.45/5  rDev -12%

Batch #6

Pours mahogany, semi opaque with quite a bit of yeasty chunks from being stored upright. Head height reaches two fingers with decent enough retention. Thick smattering of lacing on the glass.

Sweet malt opens with Belgian candied sugars, toffee and light molasses, very sweet. Just fruit juice, heavy clove, apple cider, ripe plum and banana chips. Lacks any hop aroma or alcohol bite.

Candy spun sugar and caramel malt sweetness really has some depth and evolves to a rum and molasses soaked raisin-banana bread, terribly sweet and malty. Pleasant up front but the flavor deteriorates on the palate. Hop balance is destroyed by aging, what's left is vegetative greens that further exacerbate the vinous fruit, wet paper bag and alcohol. Clove and yeast characteristics are not nearly as sharp in the flavor as in the nose.

Moderate body with adequate carbonation. Alcohol is manageable as it should be with the amount of sweetness from the malt. Lacks drying making the sticky malt and dark fruit overstay their welcome.

Two awesome breweries join forces to fight the evil of litigation resulting in a beer that is...just not for me. It has been a while since I've had a beer this sweet and the Belgian yeast further pushes the dark fruit envelope to Scars on my palate which told me to run away and never return. A must try just for the sake of craft brewing camaraderie. I really should get the next batch and try it fresh.

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance is so close to perfect, I rounded it up. Great head retention and brilliant cream colored foamy head. Nice lacing and nice rings are left behind. Medium legs with nice tearing.

Tons of cloves, red apple, banana. Smooth, creamy, milky, strong pungent.

Flavors are just a bit more harsh than the aroma. Strong, robust, tons of spicy clove, banana, kinda strange. Nice heat burn and missing a bit of fluidity. Even with the uneven flavors the overall feel is pretty nice and blended. Carbonation is smooth and even, a bit high, but fits. Sweetness is also just a touch high, I'd like a bit more dryness...

A great beer, but damn is the flavor different from the nose. It's definitely recommended @ $9/22oz.

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2010 vintage bottle poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter. 8.91% abv. Bottled Feb 2010. Pours a crystal clear light brown/dark golden. Head dissipates a bit when done pouring.

Smell is dark fruits, alcohol.

Taste is great, fine carbonation up front yielding to the spices, dark fruit and the alcohol hits at the end. More complex flavors but I can't seem to dissect them now. Big fan.

Fantastic carbonation makes this medium-heavy (more on the medium) an easy, dangerous beer to drink.

Waited a while to try this as I am a huge fan of both breweries. Have not always been a big fan of Belgian dark beers, but this is a great one to share with a few to sip and enjoy.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Batch #6

Poured from a 22 into an Ommegang goblet.

Appearance: dark brown, almost dark gold in the right light.

Nose: Lovely nose - sweet, sugary; sweet wort; dark fruit, raisins; red wine.

Taste: What a wonderful taste. Very sweet - surprise, it's brewed with turbinado and candy sugar! A strong malt character. Molasses. Licorice. The dark fruit from the nose carries right over. Mouthfeel is similar to wine. It's heavy in the mouth but not overbearing.

Finish: It's like I just finished eating alcoholic raisins.

OA: This is a great BSDA and a welcome return to the style for me. While not my favorite of the style, it's a fantastic beer. I would love to try different batches of this and see how it stacks up.

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is an interesting beer. As the story goes, it's a blend of what was Avery's and Russian River's Salvation Belgian-style.

Now, full disclosure, I've had reservations about about Colorado Belgian-styles for a while now. Their mountainous take on Belgium doesn't quite fit my palate.

Nice copper pour with a nice white head.

The aroma is rather odd. It's more like some kind of condiment rather than a beer.

But the flavor is rather good. It is unique. It's not a typical Belgian-style. We're dealing with an outlier here, but it is well balanced.

Overall? BRAVO! Way to step out of bounds and create an interesting beer!

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a tulip. February 2009 bottling, so this is about 4 years 7 months old.

A: Pours a murky reddish color. Creamy beige head settles shortly, but holds fast at a half inch. Spotty lacing.

S: Very fruity on the nose. Cherry juice and lots of red grape skin. Vinous. Spike of alcohol. Malt base of toast, crust, and a pinch of cocoa. Bready yeast.

T: Crust and cocoa at the outset. Layered fruity tastes come after: dates and figs, red grape skin, cherry. Spike of alcohol really flexes some muscle, even after the time. Bready yeast. Lightly rustic. Alcohol and fruit on the finish.

M: Medium-thick body. Full and a little chewy. Prickling carbonation. Smooth. Some alcohol heat, slightly tannic.

O: Having not had this beer fresh, I must admit that I have no real basis for comparison. However, this beer is still pretty hot, and I would only expect that to smooth out over time. It's very vinous and fruity, but still not as complex and refined as I was expecting. Just a decent blend as it stands right now, but I'll have to dig up a fresher specimen and see how it compares.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

batch 6
rusty color, thin looking, no head to speak of, thin caramel look, cloudy.
smell is sweet. malts. this is going to be a little sour, I think.... green apple?
taste is sweet and tart. yes, I think green apple. summer fruits. not as sour as I was thinking. a little too sweet, but then I think I overdosed on the Belgians so hard that I have a difficult time with anything like them anymore.
it's a little thick. the appearance I mentioned was a 'thin caramel' meant to describe the caramel portion of the color, but this is kind of chewy. overall, I like it, though. seems everything Vinnie touches turns to gold. more people know of him than he knows of them, for sure.... this is good.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I have never had this beer nor have I seen this beer. When we lived in Indiana we could get Avery beers pretty regularly, but they are not distributed to Arizona. This is also the last Avery beer on our list. This beer is a collaboration with Russian River, a brewery that makes some pretty incredible beers but also doesn't distribute to Arizona. You actually can only get their beers in the Russian River Valley.

I tend to like Belgian dark ales, so I am excited to try this. Cool story about how it became "golden," though. I like Avery and I LOVE Russian River, so chances are this is going to be a good beer. Cheers!

In the Glass: As I am pouring this, I can already smell the sweetness. Man, I can't wait to drink this! Maybe I can hurry through my nose notes! In the glass, it is quite clean for a Belgian dark strong, but it has a nice thick head producing a creamy lace. The beer also has a ton of tiny bubbles in it, but I am not worries about the carbonation on this one. I can already smell it, but let me stick my nose in the glass and see what I come up with.

Nose: It's sweet, but it has a weird metallic flavor going on. I wonder if the brewmaster from Russian River needs to start going back to Boulder to make sure this beer is on pace. I am curious, too, how that works… Does he get a case of bottles to try before it goes out each year? Anyway, the beer does have the sweetness that I expect from this style, but that weird copper aroma is creeping me out. I bet that goes away as this heats up. Now for the moment of truth!

Flavor: I am drinking this cold, so that might change my overall opinion of the beer. Perhaps I will take a sip now, and then let the second half of the glass sit so I can let it warm up a little bit. OK, here goes nothing.

That's sweet. I mean, I just ate a piece of cake sweet. GOD I love a good sweet thick chewy beer. This is slowly becoming one of my favorite styles, as they are all sweet and are all so different in terms of what the beer offers. There isn't a lot of complexity here, but it's cold. I bet the flavor really comes out as it heats up.

There is a book on the label, so let me go write that and come back. I bet the beer changes as it heats up. Be right back.

OK, I am back. I was right. The sweetness really starts to open up and you begin to taste those Belgian candied sugars. It is almost like licking a sugar cube. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they brew a batch of this. I would also love to try a different batch to see how it stacks up. This bottle if Batch #4. If there is a bottle of Batch #1 out there, let us know. I want to try it!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thick and sweet, and has a lovely finish. Even when I swish this around in my mouth it doesn't have many bubbles. I will say, when I move it around in my mouth, more fruity flavors are coming out. You would also never know this was 8% ABV.

Aftertaste: There isn't much going on here. Those sweet candied sugars are sticking around, but it isn't a bottle I could spend 2 hours with. I do want to grab a bottle from each brewing company and do a side by side comparison.

This is a great beer. I would like to try this on tap, too. You know, this beer might actually produce several more purchases. I want to try both the Salvation from Avery and the Salvation from Russian River, I want to try this on tap, AND I want to have all prior batches. Avery is a good brewing company and Russian River the same, and this is a great collaboration. Love it!

3.31/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - dark carmel color with some lacing.

Smell - slight sour smell

Taste - sour with a slight maple finish.

Overall - a sour Belgium style ale that in my opinion doesn't have a lot of depth. Typically I like this style of beer but was not impressed with this one.

3.54/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled: Jan, 2011 Batch #5

Appearance: Orange-brown with a nice fluffy white head. Laces the side of the glass well and leaves a nice, thin white layer on the top of the beer as you drink.

Smell: Very fruity with a light breadiness in the background. Apricot, prunes, maybe some raisins. Pretty strong on the nose.

Taste: More of the same. What you smell is more or less what you get with this one. It's very fruity, yet not really sweet. Thick and creamy, yet has a nice dry finish to it. It's definitely an interesting beer, though not really up my alley. I really like belgian strongs but don't consider this very representative of the style, which is fine. It's a bit one dimensional on the flavor side. Not too much going on, though the flavors that are there are big. Considering it's almost two and a half years old, I would have liked to have had it a when it was quite a bit younger to note the differences. Probably lost some of it's 'oomph' over time.
So all in all, I'm not a huge fan, but it's probably worth a try, especially if any of these tastes sound appealing to you.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 650 ml bottle (dated January 2012) into a tulip.

A-The beer pours heavily with very little head. It is nearly still in the glass with only a random bubble or two visible. The brew is a medium, nutty brown color, and cloudy.

S-The smell is seriously sweet with a lot of dark, dried fruit. I detect fig, prune, raisin, brown sugar, caramel, and syrup. I suppose it is appropriate for the style, but be warned...there is some serious malty brown sugar going on here.

T-The taste is slightly less sweet than the smell, which is not saying a lot, but it does make for a more drinkable brew. Still lots of prune, fig, and raisin. The alcohol heat is mild in this older bottle when compared to a newer bottle that I had not too long ago.

M-The feel is pretty thick, with very light carbonation. It is a bit syrupy and the heavy feel doesn't do anything to balance the sweetness.

O-As a litigation attorney, this beer holds a special place in my heart and, honestly, it is not a bad brew. The sweetness is a touch out-of-balance, but perhaps I sat on this bottle for a little too long and it might be better fresh with a little more carbonation and alcohol heat to counteract the sweet malts. Anyway, as is, this would be a decent choice for a desert beer and it would probably form a nice reduction or sauce for red meat or game.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled February 2008. Reviewed May 2013

Appearance: a nice burnt orange with a little brown. Very hazy but not opaque. A finger of a off white head that leaves a bit of a lacing.

Smell: mostly brown sugar. Smaller notes of dark fruits and grains

Taste: strong barley. Weaker but still there notes of fruit, tartness, brown sugar, and alcohol. Very subtle, very good and quite complex.

Mouthfeel: nice and heavier. Pretty sticky in a good way. Some sweetness left behind.

Overall: very tasty. I love the strong barley with subtle notes of the rest. The smell could be a little more like the taste but this is a great beer

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap served in a tulip glass

A - Pours a murky amber orange color with a fleeting off white cap. Mild lacing

S - Roasted toffee/caramel, yeasty, cloves, dates, golden raisins, orange tea, smells pretty sweet.

T - Sweet toffee malts, caramelized brown sugar, cloves, nutmeg, sugary dates, raisins, red delicious apples. Has a strong orange tea flavor that really stands out. Stone fruit mixes in well with the caramelized malts. Some peppery bitterness starts to build riding through to the finish.

M - Medium to full body but thins out as it sets, low carbonation, smoother feel.

A well blended brew that went down smooth. Not as good as I was expecting but still good. Glad I got to try it on tap though.

4.06/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Cloudy burnt orange. Beer clears as it warms. Momentary fizz fades to a ring. Not much of a head, especially for a Belgian. Good lacing though.

Funky yeast upfront in the aroma. Followed by a strong, malty sweetness. Maybe a little bit of tartness.

Wow. Not what I was expecting. In the flavor Very, very smooth and sweet upfront. Complex, tart, and acidic in the finish. No boozy alcohol. Really great flavor.

Medium bodied. Light carbonation. Clean, neutral finish.

I like this beer a lot. I can't get over how smooth it tastes, especially considering its relatively high ABV. I'll buy this one again.

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

3 year old bottle

Hazy faded amber. strong fig jam aroma, tootsie roll. Offensive nose but thankfully the flavor is much more delicate and a lot smoother. Nice almost sherry like sweetness on the tip of the tongue along with some of the flavors found on the nose. Carbonation is almost gone giving the beer a nice creamy body. Definitely worthy of ageing.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

AVERY/Russian River : collaboration not litigation ale

These two breweries were to release a beer by the same name; instead of taking legal action, they brewed/blended this beer .

LOOK: Orangeish color, mostly clear, with a little sediment. White head forms and recedes to a ring around the edges.

SMELL: Dark fruits, raisin, Belgian yeast, brown sugar, toffee. Sweet breads and just a touch of alcohol.

TASTE: Rum raisin, toffee, sugar fruits, mild spice, orange peel, plum and date. Yeasy funk. Alcohol heat is minimal, just present enough to be felt on the palate. Light hops, citrus, butterscotch and grass. Semi sweet and very delicious. This tastes like a strong Belgian ale.

FEEL: Full bodied, a tad syrupy, well carbonated.

OVERALL: Excellent beer from two class breweries. Everyone can learn a lesson from this. Don't sue each other, just make great beer.

Collaboration Not Litigation Ale from Avery Brewing Company