Avery Anniversary Ale - Fourteen - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Anniversary Ale - FourteenAvery Anniversary Ale - Fourteen

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.46% ABV

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 05-16-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avery Anniversary Ale - Fourteen Alström Bros
1.88/5  rDev -53.2%

A- Poured into my Chimay glass with about just under a inch creamy tan head on a really dark body but when held to light you get clear hues of ruby.
S- Dark fruits like cherries, few plums, and hint of raisins. Also there are some figs, light spices, big malty body everything stands on, and a perfect amount of hops as "garnish".
T- After smelling this I am VERY let down. Just a very disgusting flavor. It is almost like a cream of something gets stuck on the tongue and won't get off...lets see if I can drink enough of this to review it. Chocolate, caramel, figs, alcohol, hint of hops, light spices. Almost like there is milk blended in this. Very full sickly body that just coats the mouth like milk does and low carbonation.
D- I think the taste kind of hints at what I think about this. I have had about 10 tastes and I feel kind of queezy. This must be one of the worst beers I have tried. I loved the smell though. I even got another glass and tried it from there just to make sure it wasn't the glass.

2.25/5  rDev -44%

2.4/5  rDev -40.3%

22 oz bottle. Pours a ruby brown with a large fluffy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is chocolate malts, and oddly enough pesto and leather - pretty odd for a beer. Peppery nuts and smoke come out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet sugary malts and cola followed by some piney hops (with tinges of pesto - it's stuck in my head now), a little banana and smoke, and a sharp medicinal plastic finish. The mouthfeel is medium and creamy.

Overall, an interesting and unique beer, it just doesn't appeal to me.

2.68/5  rDev -33.3%

Dark, dark brown with a light brown head on it in a trappist glass. Smell is of some hops, licorice like maltiness, and almost belgian like yeast. Very unique smell. Very unique taste as well, with a rich, thick, malty, definite licorice like sweetness, a bit of alcohol is present, but not bad for 9.5%, and perhaps again, a belgian like almost very light spiced quality to it. Different than any other American Strong Ale I've had, and much more drinkable. Reminds me a touch of New Belgium's Abbey. Although not quite my speed, I can see some people really enjoying this beer.

2.88/5  rDev -28.4%

Had some of this last night courtesy of abfraser. Pretty dark with a big tan head. Smell and taste were a gigantic sugary malt bomb. I visited the Avery brewery earlier this year and they were brewing their Old Jubilation, the smell of which permeated the brewery. In a way, it's nice to smell beer being brewed, but Avery 14's taste totally reminded me of that smell, and I didn't find it as nice to taste it so prominently in the beer. Thick, sugary mouthfeel made this something I was only able to drink half a glass of.

2.88/5  rDev -28.4%

Reviewed 8/2/2007 (Bottle):
Pours a black brown colored body, with a big foamy head-big lacing, big bubbles, but somewhat diminishing. Has a very alcoholy, malty aroma. Woody taste, some dark fruit, port-ish. Light coffee and cigarette smoke taste. Has a taste like smoked wood.

2.95/5  rDev -26.6%

pours out a dark, ruby-tinged cherry painted wood with a 2 finger toffee head that settles eventually to a fine layer of foam. Leaves some thin lacing all around. Nose is pretty hot with alcohol and has a rather strong hop presence: mostly pine and pepper. There's is an underlying dark malt quality, but the alcohol is too much to really discern much. Flavor starts off with some toasted malts and mild roast with undercurrents of chocolate but then the overly sweet body pulls through with an accompaniment of Belgian esters and phenols. Alcohol isn't as overwhelming as in the smell. Finish comes with a lot of herbs, pine, and spiciness. Really, it's the saving grace of this. Mildly bitter. Lots of artificial cherry flavor throughout, much like the Reverend. Mouthfeel is full and mellow in the carbonation. I'm not in love with this beer. Bring back Thirteen.

3.03/5  rDev -24.6%

A: Pours a dark, dark brown - almost like a stout. Hints of ruby throughout. Nice tan head with good retention and lacing.

S: Earthy, sort of perfumey, very complex. Lots going on that I can't identify outright. As it's billed as being dry-hopped, I expected a stronger hops character.

T: Not sure what to think of it. It's trying to be a lot of things at once. Similar to the smell, there's a lot of flavors going on, that leans towards being too sweet. However, the alcohol provides a bit of warmth, and there is a bit of hops at the end. Still, not as balanced as I'd like.

M: Nice and smooth. Good carbonation and an OK bite at the end.

D: It's a good one-off beer for me. I won't likely be buying it again. With age it might be tastier, but it didn't hit me right.

3.05/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured a 22 oz bomber into a duvel tulip. Color is a deep brown, almost black with a tan head. Too bitter for my taste given the hops dont compliment the dark malt (almost porterish malt combo). A pine medicinal taste comes to mind, but not the off phenolic medicinal taste. Color and mouthfeel are fine, drinkability is not there for me. I wont revisit this one. Given my comments, please understand that I am the antithesis of a hophead, so if you enjoy high alpha hop combinations, you may feel different than I do. A true let down from Avery who did a decent job with The Beast and The Reverend.

3.05/5  rDev -24.1%

I did not like this beer all that much, and I will express my dis-satisfaction as follows:

I poured from a big Avery bottle into a pint glass, and the beer appeared a turgid red brown with thick sticky tan foam. The aroma was acrid, harsh, and slightly astringent. Too damn bitter.

The flavor was mostly roasted malts (burnt, charred) and I think that's the foundation for the caustic smell. Not good for me.

I expected much more and I am becoming less and less a supporter of Avery after each foray I make into their brews.

3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured in a tulip galss, the Avery 14th Anniversary Ale pours a very dark garnett with a big foamy tan head leaving waves of foamy lace. Hmm, looks like a RIS...

The smell is rich chocolate and crystal malts and an unusually pungent funk to the hops, maybe they're getting lost in all that dark malt? It's pretty strong, and I don't really care for it...also, as it warms, some booziness struggles to break through that weird hop/malt mix.

The taste is pretty much along the same lines, more roasted then chocolate malt, with caramel notes as well, and lots of west coast hop character. I just don't find the pungent fruitiness of the hops to go well with this RIS style malt base. As mentioned on the bottle, lots of molasses as well, which, with the coffee like roast, gets a bit astringent.
As much as I keep thinking RIS, maybe that bitterness is mosly hops, as the malt base is more sweet, like a Baltic Porter? But no, there's definately some roast as well. Inconcievable! Well, and interesting puzzle when I start to fret about style, but that's always a bad idea! I should just try to enjoy what I can about this one...e.g. the alcohol is barely perceptible, with a warming feeling in the back of the throat.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side for such a dark, strong beer, creamy but oily.

This was moderately drinkable. It was lighter then it looked and tasted, and while it had it moments, I just don't think the experiment was a success. Something about all the floral hops and dark malt...

So yes, after working my way through the bomber, warm and cold, I'm thinking it's more of a Baltic Porter the RIS malt base, with a touch of roasted malt and floral west coast DIPA hops. Interesting, but ultimately not a winner to me. Laying it down for a while might bring it more into BP territory as the hops fade, but by that time, I doubt it would be as sweet and luscious as I'd like.

3.08/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice dark brown color with a dusty brown 1/4' head of lace. I was surprised that this still had some nice carbonation to it.

Smells were dark dried fruit (raisins and dates) and some nice roasted malt aromas. Slight estery alcohol notes in the background.

Taste was sweet and fruity upfront but then there was a chalky flavor right before the roasted malts took over. It was off putting and didn't really allow me to focus on the rest of the chocolatey bitterness in the finish. Alcohol warmth in the finish.

Mouthfeel was thick and syrupy. Had a nice way of coating the palate and the little bit of carbonation it still had was a nice touch.

I never had this beer fresh but it taste pretty good now except for the chalky taste I described. Seems like it could take atleast 1 more year in the bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Beautiful, dark dark brown with a very nice pillowy head similar in color to the foam on espresso.

S: Very fruity, the hop aroma is quite subdued, alcohol plays a role, the smell is similar to a quad really, though lacking in yeasty spicyness.

T: Where the aroma was sweet and nuanced, the taste is dry and slightly astringent. There is a slight coffee thing going, a lamentable level of hot alcohols, and a strange hop flavor.

M: the mouthfeel was a turn off, the sides of my tongue felt strange (numb-ish?) after drinking this beer.

D: Blah, the strange aftertaste is a deal breaker for me.

Disclaimer: This beer was old when tasted, probably well past its prime.

3.3/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours deep burgundy/ with 3 fingers+ of sand/tan colored head. Superior lacing & head retention

S: Chocolate & coffee (?) notes

T: Coffee notes up front, taste morphs into intense roasted grain & old/stale hops (tanins). I then get an intense woody dryness, doughynes, raisins & some vainilla as this warms. Dates & bakers chocolate are there as this warms some more, I start getting alcohol burn & mega pine hoppyness in the finish. Kind of settles in a little bit at the end, but otherwise, kind of an almost beautiful mess

MF: Slick with low carbonation

ABV listed at 9.46%, but the crazy flavor profilie is what really slowed me down. I must be missing the boat here, previous reviewers rated this high. Will check & see why, maybe they let it warm way up?. Age this & I bet it's completely different

3.3/5  rDev -17.9%

A - Pours dark brown with ruby highlights and a 2 finger tan head with creamy patches of lace.

S - Sweet with licorice, grape bubblegum, chocolate, tobacco and a musty yeast aroma.

T - Plums, raisins and dates with licorice, orange peel, banana and some hops.

M - On the full side of medium with a slightly creamy feel and a touch of alcohol.

D - Interesting but slightly disappointing.

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served cool from brown bomber into Boston Lager glass.

Looks good, nice heavy pour with grayish tan head of fine bubbles that leaves nice lacing. Almost black ruby color. During pour head looks good, but looks irregular and excessively rocky as it subsides.

Earthy hop aroma with notable higher alcohol note.

Taste is woody, lightly acrid, with a hint of chocolate, but has a strong unpleasant component that I've called "extract twang" in a homebrew. This surprising off flavor has no place in a commercial beer.

Drinkability is marred by the off flavor and the (higher) alcohol heat. Doesn't compare well against the other dark, hoppy anniversary ale.

3.35/5  rDev -16.7%

A- woah, foam fest. takes up more than half my over sized snifter. it settles rather quickly leaving 2 fingers of a very sticky beige colored head on a black body.

S- cherries, figs, raisins, and other dark fruits. chocolate, licorice, and a dash of alcohol also.

T- how it smells, but more bland. the hops giving it the 60 IBUs the bottle claims have all but faded.

M- light and too much carbonation.

D- meh, i had higher hopes for this one. i love this style, but i think that this one doesnt age as well as others. i really wish i could have it fresh, but sadly thats impossible now. one bottle was enough. i didnt dislike it, there are just much better options if youre looking for a strong dark ale.

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

On draft at Sunset Grill in Allston, MA. Pours very dark with a decent head. The aroma is a bit difficult to pin down. Very strong flavour hits you initially. Lots of sweetness from the alcohol. Flavour is strong, but I didn't find it particularly deep. This one came off as too sweet overall for me.

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Served on-tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Deep red, mostly clear. Medium light caramel colored head that is sticky on the glass but dissipates to a thin layer on top.

Smell: Some roast plus minor malts. There is a strange soy sauce-like aroma, almost meaty.

Taste: A bit fruity up front, like plums or raisins. Somewhat sweet and resinous. Finishes with a lingering light roast bitterness as well as as a light cucumber taste.

Mouthfeel: Mostly thick with a pleasant carbonation.

Drinkability: Complex taste, hard to consume more than one.

Bottled in 2007, so been aging for about 1+ year

A: Good looking beer. Pours like motor oil, pitch black with a big dark brown creamy head. Almost looks like an RIS.

S: Big caramel malt and dark brown sugar

T/M: Pretty one-note with the sugary malt. This tastes like the base of all the Avery beers but doesn't seem to have a major distinguishing characteristic. The faint coffee aftertaste is about it.

D: I found this a little too sweet, thick and heavy

A decent offering. It's a worthwhile beer to drink, but it just doesn't stand out to me.

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

I've come to enjoy the avery approach - either you fanatically love it or you don't. Even the label says to paraphrase: you decide the style, we just brewed it for our 14th anniversary. I'm not surprised to find it here in the strong dark category even though from my perspective I really don't detect a notable belgian yeast influence.

A - dark brown, almost black with deep red highlights when held to the light. huge thick off white head that lasts quite some time.
S - dark ripe fruit, caramel, light chocolate, some floral hops
T - similar to the nose, bit of an off twang and the hops feel like it could be a different recipe intended as apposed to complimentary.
M - medium bodied, medium carbonated, fairly light across the tongue.
D - A decent approachable brew. As an anniversary beer and this price point it leaves me wanting something more.

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

superrubydark with a creamcolored foam. nice honeycomb lacing and a solid ring

aroma: chocolate, coffee, fruitiness: dessert with a ton of floral hops. soy sauce. much fruitier than the flavor

the flavor experience is immense. big rich darkness. very bitter though hop flavor is less significant (though not in-). deep dark fruit (mostly cherry)

this doesn't belong as a belgian. it's a stout

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

Picked up a bottle at Liar's Club in La Jolla, CA. Pours with a dim russet eggplant hue topped with a thick spongy tan head cap leaving drippy lace in the glass.

Scents are a quirky plain yogurt slightly sour note with some spicy anise aspects and a copious hops addition of grassy floral notes.

First swigs: Hot boozy initial introduction followed by a deep anise black liquorice and oily feel. Slightly bitter finish of dry hops. Slightly Earthy with floral notes. Middle of a brownie or chocolate cake, probably some chocolate malt followed by a Sugar Daddy malt sweet backing. Overall oily dryness prevails with a chalky dry finish.

Last swigs: Interesting Belgian style that reminds me of a Unibroue Belgian. Interesting for the curiosity factor. Cocoa meets Belgian? A porter on steroids? Kona cola? Who knows!

Beer is good. Happy beering.

Avery Anniversary Ale - Fourteen from Avery Brewing Company