Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Salvation - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-10-2002

Reviews: 524 | Hads: 1,013
1.78/5  rDev -53.4%

The first thing one notices upon pouring the ale into a 14.9 oz. nonic is the cloudy appearance. This is prbably unfiltered. Good! Most of my favorite beers are unfilitered. Color is golden wheat. The head is very large but recedes to about 1/4 inch. The foam is so dense, I can't get a smell. Looks like I'll have to taste it first. First taste reveals caramel, then sour apple followed by a metallic iron or copper taste. Not pleasant at first but the tongue becomes inured to the effect. Next, one tastes sour bread and copper. The mouthfeel is medium weight but with good heft. Finally, the tip of the tongue feels as though it ws dipped in aspic, so stringent is the aftertaste.
It's really a bit harsh for me but I suppose an accurate exmple of the style. Serving temperature 45 degrees. Too cold? My fault. I must mention that the label is one of the most beautiful anywhere.

Grade Purchased at Stoney's-$ 7.99 ea.

1.86/5  rDev -51.3%

Purchased bottle from liquor store on Devonshire/State intersection.

Appearance = Foggy golden orange hue small head, decent carbonation. I like the color

Smell = Fruity, flowery scent like jasmin with strong smell of alcohol coming through

Taste = Not a fan of this one. Extremely bitter without much else coming through. Very bland and acidic. Can taste the 9% all the way through.

Overall = I can't recommend this beer. Perhaps I just sampled a bad bottle but if not, this one hit me the wrong way on all notes of taste.

1.9/5  rDev -50.3%

As far as the look goes it had more of a dirty copper color than I expected with very little carbonation although it wasn't flat at all; it just didn't have nearly as much of a head as I expect to see on a Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

The taste was just absolutely horrible. This is the worst beer I've had in a long time. Somebody before me called it "mediciny" which isn't inaccurate but I don't think captures just how repulsive it is. I kept waiting for it to get better as it warmed up but it didn't. I honestly should have poured this down the drain.

2.19/5  rDev -42.7%

appearance/pour: pours an unspectacular light orange with small head which quickly evaporates into a thick cluster of bubbles stuck to one side of the glass. lightly carbonated.

aroma: smells malty, like a tripel.. but much lighter and somewhat fruity. thought of don de dieu on my first sniff.

taste: surprisingly bitter- lemon rind is evident along with strong malts and a high alcohol taste. the scent would leave you to believe there is a nice caramel taste here, but nothing. surprisingly flat taste.

mouthfeel: syrupy and hard going down.

this beer isn't bad, but compared to others in a similar style it leaves much to be desired. good american tripels are few and far between (golden monkey!) and this is no exception. avery is usually quality but i cannot go on the books recommending this.

2.45/5  rDev -35.9%

Chilled bomber into a glass.

A: Pours a clear gold color with 1 finger of head that remains active and filmy throughout the entire drink. Thin sheets of lacing down the glass during my drink. Nice carbonation up the center of the glass.

S: Fruity and floral yeast -- some notes of citrus, bananas, and apricots are evident. Malt flavors in caramel and biscuit. Additional aromas of pine, clove, and candied Belgian sugars. I detect a slight earthy and hay mustiness, too.

T: More tart and bitter than the nose suggests. A blast of citrus hops with a poorly blended fruit profile produces a feeling of tart, slightly rotten grapefruits and oranges, with some hints of bananas and apricots. There is some underlying malt sweetness in caramel and biscuit, with prickly cloves throughout, but the Belgian sugars are almost an afterthought in the taste. This doesn't taste like a Belgian to me at all -- more like a botched IPA.

M: Medium bodied, with slightly high carbonation that works well for the style. However, the finish is sticky with a resiny hop bitterness that seems out of place for a BSPA.

D: Will not have this again. A very unenjoyable flavor.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz bottle in a pint glass with local Boston band The Slip on the Hi-Fi . Color is a brass / copper with small head which fades a little bit . Smells of banana , caramel , and bread . Tastes abit spicy and lemony . This was boring though .The flavor is everywhere . I wish it was a bit smoother and the ABV is somewhat hidden but the flavor is not my style .

2.53/5  rDev -33.8%

A - Crystal clear golden ale. A large head and a lot of intricate lacing. Looks nice.

S - Although it is not very strong in the aroma, alcohol was the first thing I noticed. Cloves, pineapple, caramel and red grape skins.

T - A bit of sweet malt, with some faint lemon pith and dead leaves. Aftertaste is slightly bitter with a decernable coffee-esque presence, but not quite - the bitterness is of the same vein, but the flavor differs. Aftertaste is also fairly boozy. Alcohol drifts in to singe my nasal cavity.

M - Thick to medium body, a bit sticky, gums up especially in my throat, a bit astringent, not very refreshing.

D - Okay. It is nothing great. I had Collaboration, not Litigation, I think I liked that better than this - which suggests I should try RR's Salvation. I really need to get over there soon. I won't have this one again. It's kind of funny - like Avery, even though I give most of their beers mediocre reviews. I guess I just like that their brewing is original and interesting - if not always delcious. Keep it up guys - I need to find the 14 soon.

2.56/5  rDev -33%

Large brown bomber, gold foil top, 9& abv, ingredients (Rocky Mountain Water, imported Belgian malted barley, Belgian candy sugar, Syrian Goldings hops and authentic Belgian yeast) No date, but no matter.
Aroma: Nice Belgian fruity nose, banana, apple, white grape, spicy yeast smell, very inviting.
Appearance: Rich clear gold chalice with large carbonation bubbles rapidly forming and rising. Nice white head collapsed into a collar and thin cover, but lacing already.
Lace faded rather quickly and the second pour just left some soda bubbles and no head at all.
Flavor: Flavor is a bit thin for the style and for me. It has a bit of a “malt liquor” taste to me; the sugar seems to be contributing a lot to the alcohol content. Has a slight metallic edge to the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Fairly light body, subdued carbonation.
Overall Impression: Popped this for a Christmas day treat (the name seemed appropriate), and I’m tempted to drain pour the second glass. Belgian style, but not Belgian. Alcohol isn’t hidden at all, and doesn’t meld well with the beer. I get a raw alcohol aftertaste that is turning my stomach. It’s almost vodka like in its intensity. I refuse to “endure” a beer on Christmas, this one is going bye-bye. Nose is good, initial taste is good, then… ick. Not much to look at and the mouthfeel just doesn’t do much. A harsh review for Avery I’m afraid. I’ve enjoyed others, but this one is just wrong, and it is really just the aftertaste.

2.58/5  rDev -32.5%

Review from notes:

A: Pours a clear golden/orange color with a foamy one finger head which quickly fizzles to nothing. Very little lacing.

S: Very doughy/biscuity with some graham cracker and an extremely faint spice/floral aroma.

T: The flavor profile just seemed off, there was a slightly sourish taste and some fruit but it didn't taste right. Hard to describe the flavor, but I know I was not a fan.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and despite the issues I had with the flavors, it drank rather smoothly with a touch of alcohol.

O: Wasn't a fan. If it had tasted like the aroma, that would have been fine, even though it seemed to be lacking in hops slightly, but drank a little of it and then poured it, something I rarely do.

2.58/5  rDev -32.5%

22oz into a tulip. Pours a slightly hazy golden orange, minor head needed encouragement and subsided rather quickly, minor lacing, minor carbonation.

Very sweet aroma, smells cloying. Honey and apricots lightly spiced.

Taste begins wholly undefined other than sweet. With a phenolic kick, solvent alcohol comes on strong towards the end and rides the aftertaste to oblivion. Full bodied slightly cloying mouthfeel.

2.61/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - It looks innocuous enough, but it isn't. Golden amber in hue (a bit dark for a BSPA), it is capped with spare wisps of white froth, but leaves generous sheets of lace as the glass empties.

S - Uggghhh. I smell cremini mushrooms, which is cool and all if you are eating or ordering cremini mushrooms. If you ordered a beer, however, you generally aren't looking for anything mushroom-y, are you?

T - The taste is worse than the smell. I get mushy peas, hay/grain silo, and some alcohol to top it off. Not very pleasant. I can't drink this beer at all. (Probably) Worst BSPA ever.

M - It really isn't the feel's fault.

D - This is an embarassment. I've had some really good Avery beers in my day; New World Porter stands out as one... it was perhaps the first prominent black IPA (at least on my radar); The Beast, Brabant, Fifteen, Sixteen etc. were good, too. This is notsogood.

Better, not good though.

Vegetal overall, with a lemon pledge nose and edamame taste. Cheap alcohol burn.

2.68/5  rDev -29.8%

Color was golden orange-yellow and very clear. The head is a thin sheet of white bubbles with very little retention. It smells sweet like sugar and the taste is also sweet. The alcohol was noticeable but didn't really detract from the beer. I really liked the Collaboration beer so I had high hopes for this one but it didn't quite measure up.

09/08/08 I'm updating this review to add that this is a really mediocre beer. In fact it sucks.

2.69/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

served on-tap @ Egan's, Tuscaloosa, AL, into a pint glass

There's not a lot to be asked of the appearance of a BSPA. Salvation has a golden yellow body that's completely clear. It has 1.5 fingers (or more) of fluffy white head. Thus, it's a good-looking beer.

Unfortunately, Salvation suffers from the problem that most American-brewed Belgian Strong Pale Ales suffer from: an out-of-control yeast strain. Duval, for example, is a textbook in balance and thoughtfulness. Salvation is just overdone. Too much flavor, or better put, too intense. Sugary fruits for days, bubblegum esters like whoa, an aggressive level of hop flavor (that, of course, clashes with the yeast flavors). Flavors of grape must and tea leaves would be interesting if everything (including the booziness) wasn't cranked up to eleven.

The mouthfeel is fine here: able-bodied & effervescent. It's a bit hot with alcohol is its only detriment. But overall, this is an off-the-mark, below-average attempt at a style that not many American brewers get right.

2.72/5  rDev -28.8%

22 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color (with just a hint of haze) and a foamy white head that quickly turns to a bubbly film.

Smell: Fairly heavy aroma of spice and other organic matter. Hints of alcohol and sweeter malts are there too.

Taste: Initially there's quite a bit of sweetness together with a bit of yeast. That eventually yields to a heavier (& more subdued) malt flavor, but the initial flavor picks up again towards the finish. The aftertaste has a fair dose of alcohol in the taste, along with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with minimal carbonation. Generally smooth, though a bit of alcohol bite in the aftertaste.

Drinkability: Honestly this one is a bit difficult - the alcohol taste isn't too strong, but it is a bit too sweet and biting.

While Avery does some excellent beers, I fail to be impressed by their Belgian-style ales. With this one, I feel an eventual drain-pour coming on. Something just rubs me the wrong way here.

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Drank from my Ciney sniffer

A - Pours a clear light clear copper colour with a white head that laces.

S - Sticky malts and sugar

T - Up front some nice malts followed by some sticky spice the finish. The finish is sticky and sugary

M - Medium body and medium carbonation

O - No where near Belgian enough. I have had had homebrew better than this. Avoid

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

On tap at the brewery in August 2009. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a moderate brown color with a thin tan head and almost no lacing. Nose brings candied sugar, caramel, dark fruits, hints of spice, and some booze. Taste is a bit of a mess with flavors in all directions and the malt and the yeast never really coming together, and then being overwhelmed by a big booziness. The feel brings a slight creaminess that is somewhat appetizing and is a boost over the nose. Drinkability is fairly poor. Definitely prefer the other end of the collaboration.

2.74/5  rDev -28.3%

22 oz bottle into a goblet

A: Clear orange body. A thin white head reduced to a ring with a few splotches in the middle. The 2nd (harder) pour left a 1/2" white head that had better retention than the first.

S: Aroma of apricot and yeast. I'm not an apricot fan - so I may be in trouble.

T: Unfortunately, the taste is pretty similar to the aroma, but spicier. I still don't like it.

M: Highly carbonated up front, but that didn't last long. Medium body. Alcohol is present, but not in a bad way. Had a dry, sweet, but unpleasant finish.

D: Would be drinkable except that I don't enjoy the taste.

2.77/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours dirty golden with a white head. Both the aroma and flavor are dominated by the Belgian yeast, floral, banana, and spices. Also present is some lemon. The yeast is way too strong in this one for me, I did not like it. An active, medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, not a balanced brew for me. Less yeast, please,.

2.78/5  rDev -27.2%

"Divinely drinkable," says the bottle....I don't know about that...

A lovely cider-colored ale with a frothy, yellowish head which leaves nice lacing. Smells surprisingly thick: notes of chocolate on apricot and hops. The first taste raised the hairs on my arms. Quite hoppy. Quite. Too much so for me, but I can see where one who is a fan of Dogfish's 90-minute IPA would really enjoy this. I do *very* much appreciate the complex pang of sweetness at the finish. I couldn't drink this regularly, but it's worth a try if you're a hop head.

2.81/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a hazy yellow color with a white head that disipates quickly leaving little lacing. Picked up a spicey hops aroma in the smell but then followed by a yeast that wasn't like any Belgian strand I've had before. The taste was very yeasty giving it an almost sour taste. However, not sour enough for my to say this beer was spoiled. It was an almost medium body beer that didn't fint to the alcohol at all. The Beer's finish was semi-dry. It's a slow beer to drink. While I cannot say it's the worse beer I've had. It defenitely doesn't rank very high on the list for me.

2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

I feel like something is awry here. I'm getting the most stick, sour aftertaste I've ever experienced. Its like a dry, grapefruit almost gluey feeling/bitterness that lingers far too long. Perhaps its just the way this beer is designed, but to me theres just too much bitterness for a Belgian style beer.

Other than that, the appearance is a nice golden hue, great clarity.

The nose is a bit weak I think, but there is some hints of yeast, clove and some pine.

The taste, as I've said above, is just entirely imbalanced. Im not sure if this is a bad bottle or what, but there are flavor notes in here that shouldnt be present.

The mouthfeel is entirely too dry from what I can taste. There's a really dry, sour coating on my tongue.

I would say this isnt drinkable, simply because my mouth is invaded by this odd, sour aftertaste.

I'll have to try this again in a few weeks to make sure I get a different batch.

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%

Cellared for 7 1/2 months
Bomber -> Hennepin goblet

A ~ Very deep tangerine with a wheat-color to it and alot of clarity to it. (Very fine haze on the second pour, which was more what I was expecting)
2" inch cloudy head.

S ~ Nice bit of yeast. Rocky candy, prairie grass & cantaloupe

T ~ Preserved peaches (cloves/cinnamon/sugar in a mason jar), bit of citrus zest but not enough at all. Dominating juicyfruit. Some pomander & wheat, especially when warm. On the second, cloudy pour, Melon and overripe pear notes.

M ~ Sweet & Spicy, but almost too sweet. Not very dry at all, and I long for a nice tart citric/lactic flavor. Lots of booze-heat.

D ~ Expecting alot, and I did not enjoy it after
cellaring for so long.
Probably will not be purchasing again.
Not a horrendous brew, but nothing special.
Would rather have a Duvel or any number of Belgian-Belgian Style.

Peace Out, Avery.

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured this 22 oz. undated bottle into a Duvel tulip. Achieved minimal head. Body was a butterscotch/orange color and had a chill haze that faded as it warmed.

Weak aroma. Hard candy, floral, some alcohol.

Taste was spicy plums and mild hops. Belgian yeastiness. Alcohol was present but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel was medium to full-bodied. Smooth finish.

This is a high alcohol sipper. Nice label, not a "go to" beer for me.

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

Another gift from Mauerhan. And a big fat bomber of 9% at that. Awesome!

Pours a pale clear gold with white bubbly head. Several small streams of bubbles float up.

Smell is, uh, like malts and stuff. Or rather just some old malt. I'm not very excited to be honest. Maybe some pears.

Taste is marginal at best. I'll have to look into this because I'm wondering if this was the intention. Bland, dry, malty miss. Maybe a small flavor of orange marmalade.

Nice enough carbonation, dry sticky tail like a Vegas hooker. Wish I was a little more refined, but I am what I am: a work in progress bitches. That's from the 9%.

Overall: still learning to appreciate the style

2.93/5  rDev -23.3%

Liked the Avery stuff in the past, especially the Maharaja Imperial India Pale Ale, so I bought this on a whim, 22oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass

Appearance - Hazy (chill haze, or unfiltered?), orange. very little white head, but might have been my pour. Lingering islands and coasts of foam throughout the drink, bubbles from the deep.

Smell - Not much there. Mild fruit, maybe banana. Least impressive part of this beer

Taste - Fruit and malt that I expect from a golden, bitterness on the back end, and an aftertaste not altogether unpleasant. Slightly less "fresh" than I would expect

Mouthfeel - Dry! Foamy at first but then a dryness like breathing in desert air.

Drinkability - Altogether not bad at all, though I'd rather have a smaller serving of La Chouffe, for a foamier and much more fragrant Golden Ale. Little weaker on fruit flavors than I like as well.

Salvation from Avery Brewing Company