1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Salvation - Avery Brewing Company

SalvationSalvation

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-10-2002)
3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Pours with a very minimal amount of head that quickly dissipates and leaves no lacing. Its a very clear light amber color. Could be mistaken for white grape juice if it was slightly lighter in color.

S: Not a lot of aroma with this one. You can definitely smell the alcohol in it. Outside of that it has a fruity type smell.

T: I would describe it as a very clean beer taste. It definitely has flavor, most of which kicks in as you swallow it but finishes smooth with no real aftertaste. A very solid taste but nothing that makes you go wow.

M: Just the right amount of in mouth carbonation. It feels much thicker in the mouth than it appears in the glass.

D: This one is very drinkable. It doesn't have an overbearing alcohol content to classify it as a sipper. It would be very easily to drink it very quickly and is an enjoyable experience.

Even though the score isn't all that high I did enjoy this quite a bit. Its just not overly complex or as bold of a flavor as I am used to from Avery. Its just a very solid beer with nothing that makes it truly amazing. As much as I like Collaboration not Litigation with its bold flavor, I did expect a little more from this one. I guess I need to get my hands on the Russian River version now.

2.45/5  rDev -36%

A - Crystal clear golden ale. A large head and a lot of intricate lacing. Looks nice.

S - Although it is not very strong in the aroma, alcohol was the first thing I noticed. Cloves, pineapple, caramel and red grape skins.

T - A bit of sweet malt, with some faint lemon pith and dead leaves. Aftertaste is slightly bitter with a decernable coffee-esque presence, but not quite - the bitterness is of the same vein, but the flavor differs. Aftertaste is also fairly boozy. Alcohol drifts in to singe my nasal cavity.

M - Thick to medium body, a bit sticky, gums up especially in my throat, a bit astringent, not very refreshing.

D - Okay. It is nothing great. I had Collaboration, not Litigation, I think I liked that better than this - which suggests I should try RR's Salvation. I really need to get over there soon. I won't have this one again. It's kind of funny - like Avery, even though I give most of their beers mediocre reviews. I guess I just like that their brewing is original and interesting - if not always delcious. Keep it up guys - I need to find the 14 soon.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

"Live with Passion" - the wonderful slogan that adorns the caps of Avery beers. Foolishly - I adhere - too much maybe.

In the movie "The Prestige" Hugh Jackman's character says: "never thought I'd find an answer at the bottom of a pint glass" to which Micheal Caine replies "Hasn't stopped you from looking, has it ?" Well I continue to...
This beer not only offers "salvation" on the 26th of October (2007) but it even offers a definition: "discovering your passion, purpose, meaning in life"...

No head and only a mere outline of white that encircles the clouded - but glowing - orange coloured body. It really doesn't let the eyes penetrate through it. A soft shade though. Very curiously, any clarity only came from the last pours? Misleading.

The aroma offers many things. A (nearly foul) smell of twisted, booze ridden citrus. Spices like clove and coriander. A straw wheat. Everything drenched in booze. Potent, the fragrance is one that you easily cascade under.

The mouthfeel has a texture, it has some weight to it and the flavours evolve nicely through the tasting. The alcohol, while always present, never interferes too much. It gracefully flutters on the palate.

The flavours are near endless, changing depending on the sip. I taste dried fruits - pears and apples. The yeast imparts a variety of esters. Spices (if used) add a dimension of unidentifiable tastes. The whole production comes together quite well in a bubble gum/candy like flavour. The Belgian influence well entwined. Becomes spicy at times.

I liked this a lot. A well worthwhile beer.

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

Had this at Z Cucina with Adam Avery. It was an amazing evening of pairing delicious food with two amazing beers at each course.

Pours a light gold color with a decent white head that dies down rather quickly. Smell is a little sweet and spicy, peppery. Taste is very similar with some dried fruits on the palate. Some earthy hop presence too. Mouthfeeling is light, and a little watery.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear, rich copper color. Lightly carbonated but still offered a substantial, frothy head. Beautiful. Nose was fairly light: some wit-like fruit, clean malt, and a good bit of earthy hops. Medium body. Taste was much, much, much more phenolic than the smell. Some spicy hops were present in the finish. Seemed significantly more sweet than most other Belgian goldens. Not much to say about the mouthfeel except that the alcohol was not noticeable. Might have been nice if the body had been a bit lighter and dryer, but it's okay as it is. Drinkability is not as good as the best examples of the style, but it's still above average.

Pretty good beer. I think it'd be better if it was a little dryer, but that's splitting hairs.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Bomber poured to a Chimay snifter...

I let this one warm a bit as it had been fridged for a while. When I can back the bottle was sweating profusely but still a bit too cool but I couldn't wait so here I am.

Poured an attractive yet still ever so slightly hazed dark gold with strong highlights of orange. One could almost describe this beer as just straight up orange...pretty neat looking. Head wasn't as aggressive as others in the catagory but it did it's thing to the tune of a 1.5 finger with some light lacing that died down relatively quickly.

The nose wasn't pronounced but gave off hints of light fruits, apricots and apples. Notes of spice and sugar with a tinge of alcohol. This beer was a bit passive up from compared to some others and definitely has a stronger malt signature. Malts are a bit overbearing at times and can tend to drown out the balance a bit. The finish is spiced with notes of nutmeg, corriander, and a slight anise.

Overall a good drinkable offering that deals with the abv quite well.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Oooh, I love these Avery bombers.

A: Golden. Awesome, frothy head.

S: Sweet! Fruity with a lot of floral hops.

T&M: Fruity and delicious as it warms to near room temp. Sticky sweet and sugary through and through, but enough hops to create a drying bitterness, offsetting the 9% ABV. Thick, syrupy feel. Enough carbonation so it's not sickly.

D: A little too sweet maybe, but really an awesome beer that must be tried.

Avery is top-notch.

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

A gorgeous beer. I poured it into my De Garre snifter to reveal a massive head. Over the course of a minute the head slowly descended to about a one finger egg shell colored head. It left a sticky lace along the glass. The head sits on top of a semi hazy medium amber body. Very nice.

A spicy aroma. A bit of white pepper, with a malty, pear balance.

A very intense flavor. Not as dry as other Belgian I have had, more malty. But the spice is enough to balance this beer. The alcohol barely shows up in this beer, a nice hint of warmness and thats it. Nice and balanced.

Highly carbonated, with a medium fullness.

Quaffable. I cant wait to try "Collaboration not Litigation". This excellent BSPA tastes like it would great with a sour offering.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from 22oz bottle into New Belgium Snifter. Poured a golden color with small amount of orangish hue. With a white head that foamed up to fade rather quickly to leave a small trace of foam. Smell of spice and corriander with yeasty malt aroma. Taste is nice and malty with phenolic flavors slight bitterness of floral hops. Mouthfeel is a little to carbonate which helps shows the alcohol of 9%. A good beer from Avery overall.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 650 mL gold foil-lined bottle.

A: The ale has the brilliant clarity of a tripel, dark yellow almost golden with no sign of imperfection. The head was thicker, relatively, and left no trace as it receded.

S: The nose is Belgian, full of pale candi sugars and coriander pep. The sweetness belies the big alcohol body that is floating around.

T: The ale is big and chewy, full of grainy malts that create a solid body for the spices. Those spices are the requisite ones: coriander, pale candi sugars and some anise. The sweetness is cut by a strong hop bitterness that is earthy, far more continental than American. The strong alcohol is evident throughout the glass, adding a distinct heat to the proceedings.

M: The mouthfeel is dead on for a BSPA, kicking up solid flavors with a nice hop bitterness. The spiciness is not extraordinary though.

D: The 9% is heady, so beware. The flavors are strong but they are indistinguishable from most other BSPAs.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle. Decent enough fluffy head from the initial pour. the second glass was better than the first as the beer had a chance to warm up and the flavors cme thrugh much better. had a lot of grapefruit with nice spice and just a bit of hoppiness as well. Good american alternative to the belgian golden ales and will try this one again.

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

Filled a pint glass from a 22-oz. bomber straight from the fridge, let the reserve sit out in a tapered wine cooler while I worked on the first glass.

A: I was perhaps too cautious with my pour, but this brew did not produce the head I expected. With this style, I expect a thick, foamy, long-retaining head with the consistency of a meringue. Instead, I got a thin layer of white foam not quite the width of a finger. Regardless, the brew it topped looked spectacular, its cloudy, pale oragne body evoking dried apricot, butterscotch, honey, and a frosted orange from the Varsity in Atlanta. The brew grows in clarity as it warms, taking on the look of apple juice.

S: The nose is similarly rich, as the aroma of sweet-nectared blossoms yields hints of caramel and even, at the very end, subtle chocolate--Tootsie Rolls, to be precise. The complex interplay of sweet scents is intriguing.

T: The taste, though, not so much.The overwhelming sweetness in the front boasts all the complexity of a simple syrup. The bitter finish rises dramatically at the end, giving rise to an aftertaste that begins with an apple-based sweetness, then gadually and pleasantly grows sour. These effects, however, are no match for that bland sweet front. The alcohol lends a somewhat medicinal quality to the whole affair.

M: The beer leaves the palate soaking wet, as from a splash of watery syrup that gradually dries and grows sticky. Nice transition.

D: This brew's sweetness is so cloying that it was hard to get through the first 12 ounces alone, let alone the last 10. The beer filled me up and left me craving something drier.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

A - Poured a nice hazy and murky amber color with a huge, two inch plus head of off white yeasty foam on top. Nice retention as it hung around for a good long while. Once it finally relented it left behind a ton of gooey lace on the glass. Lots of carbonation was visible from the start with this one. Looked good, like a belgian should.

S - Very spicey and yeasty. Alot of nutmeg, and fruit notes were very prominent from the start. Lively aroma, you could tell there was a nice amount of yeast in hear. A touch of alcohol was also present at first, but seemed to mix out as it warmed up.

T - Smooth, very very smooth. Not even a hint of the alcohol inside this one. It was just a very spicey belgian. Made your lips tingle a bit, this one tasted alive still, very nice. It had a good earthy grain quality and a touch of some light fruit. Very nice balance.

M - Silky and very well carbonated. It was effortless to sip. Gave a really good pop once it hit your palate and kept itself feeling vibrant throughout the session. I was quite impressed with the staying power of the carbonation on this one. Just had that nice light, but yet filling feeling to it.

D - Very nice actually. I don't tend to take ABV as a factor when I review drinkability, but rather look at how well I was able to drink this. It was a great sipper. I do admit belgians are not my favorite but this one was tight.

Overall a quality brew, as most from Avery seem to be. This was my first shot at one of their Belgian styles and it was just classic, a good all around brew. I would definatly like to come back to this one again at some point. Very impressed and I would recommend a try to anyone.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

From tap served in a heavy glass goblet

A: Light orange with a nice light foamy head on top which lasted the entire glass coating the sides as it went down.

S: Fruits and alcohol with a sweetness

T: When it firsts hits your tongue it has a sweetness but a wholesome kind of sweetness not sugary. Then you get fruit flavors with a little bit of alcohol and a very slight bitterness - a very nice balance

M: Has a very nice carbonation throughout that lasted the entire time. It is crisp and creamy at the same time and goes down very smoothly. The flavors stay in your mouth for a while and you can feel the warmth spreading around throughout your mouth and down your throat.

D: I really enjoyed this beer. It went down smoothly and the taste was consistent even getting richer as it warmed and opened up. You can definitely feel the high alcohol content so I savored the beer for a while.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

A: This beer is mighty orange. Either I just poured a Sunkist or this is one of the orangest beers I have ever seen (other than the first time I had a Widmer). Poured on a one inch head that vanished quickly. The liquid is murky but slightly lighter, almost yellow, at the top.

S: The bottle boasts of a “fruity aroma” and this is no exaggeration. I can smelly yummy sour fruits (green apples?) as well as some darker sweet fruits (plums?). The candy sugar is also noticeable. Surprisingly absent is a hop aroma of any kind.

T: Candy sugar and general fruitiness is all I taste at first but as it washes around my mouth I detect the hop presence alluded to on the bottle. I am not sure but I am beginning to think there might be grapes in this beer. The hops are definitely in here but they balance well with the initial fruit sweetness.

M: Leaves a slightly creamy feel after I swallow but is relatively light and a bit frothy on intake.

D: I really plan to make this a regular. I don’t know why it took me so long to try Avery beers. Each one I’ve tried lately has impressed me a lot.

Serving Type: 650ml bottle poured into St. Bernardus goblet.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Untill very recently Avery had not been sold in Oklahoma so I was excited to try their highly regarded brews. Apperance is typical of a strong pale ale in regards to color. Wonderfull clear golden color, with a nice amount of bubbles. The head was a bit off as it died very quickly. The smell was a bit better, nice floral smell, along with some bitterness to it. The taste was good, very clean very crisp, nice strong tart flavors, and a dry yeast finish. Medium bodied, and nice alcohol warming.

Overall not my favorite strong pale ale, the weak head did it for me the most. In the end it didnt really fit the style all that well. Still it is a good brew and worth a try.

2.73/5  rDev -28.7%

22 oz bottle into a goblet

A: Clear orange body. A thin white head reduced to a ring with a few splotches in the middle. The 2nd (harder) pour left a 1/2" white head that had better retention than the first.

S: Aroma of apricot and yeast. I'm not an apricot fan - so I may be in trouble.

T: Unfortunately, the taste is pretty similar to the aroma, but spicier. I still don't like it.

M: Highly carbonated up front, but that didn't last long. Medium body. Alcohol is present, but not in a bad way. Had a dry, sweet, but unpleasant finish.

D: Would be drinkable except that I don't enjoy the taste.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

This beer looks fantastic. A clear dark gold almost orange color. It also has a great big whit head and it leaves tons of lace. I don't know how a beer could look any better than this. Smells malty and fruity with very very slight hops. Taste is full of sweetness. lots of orange tones with an alcohol twinge. After the tornado of flavors it is not really that bad but the high alcohol will limit my drinkability rating.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a cloudy orange color, with a small white head that went away fast. In the nose, sweet alcohol, somewhat light fruitiness. In the taste, a dry pear charicteristic and alcohol backing that up. It leaves a dryness in the mouth, with the alcohol still there. I feel this is a great interpretation of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Sweet sugary Belgian fruity floral hoppy smell. Peppery phenols balance the high sweetness.

Pale gold with apricot hues. Good clarity – like a tawny wine. Beautiful head that dies a little too quickly.

Strong fruity attack ripe with peppery phenols. Tart hops flourish in for an instant, then the palate is overcome with a dry, yeast-driven bitterness. Medium malt flavor – very clean. Medium-high sweetness – sugary, grows lighter with warmth. Medium-high hop flavor – crisp and tart with some citric and fewer herbal/spicy notes. High yeast flavors – medium-high fruit is bright and juicy kind of like plum – high spicy, peppery phenols that are very nice. Medium-high to high bitterness – dry and clean. Finishes with a medium-high bitterness, more pepper/spice, and a fleeting fruity sweetness.

Medium body. Medium-high to high carbonation. Dry feel from phenol and alcohol.

The yeast really shouts the loudest in this one: the malt is an understatement – I keep forgetting it’s there, and the hops add only the tart, leafy bit of tripartisan voice necessary to be in balance. What fun; I do like Avery.

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

I finished off my trifecta with this beer. I started with the RR salvation, then collaboration not litigation and finally this beer. Not knowing what this was prior to purchase I wanted to see both beers and the blended version so I could see what I liked best.

With 221 reviews as of this writing I will add this to the collective: A great looking beer that is a bit hot and unapproachable taste wise until it comes up from cellar temp to room temp. once the brew was in the upper 60's it really smoothed out and became quite tasty. It may be the sequence I tried these in that is influencing my perspective as I write this. I would recommend trying this beer on it's own merits to see for yourself.

2.63/5  rDev -31.3%

Color was golden orange-yellow and very clear. The head is a thin sheet of white bubbles with very little retention. It smells sweet like sugar and the taste is also sweet. The alcohol was noticeable but didn't really detract from the beer. I really liked the Collaboration beer so I had high hopes for this one but it didn't quite measure up.

09/08/08 I'm updating this review to add that this is a really mediocre beer. In fact it sucks.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a nice hazy yellow with a decent frothy white head. The aroma was a nice blend of sweet malts, spice and floral hops with just a hint of alcohol. The taste was a very good balance that I've come to expect from Belgians with the hops kicked up a bit as I've come to expect from most Avery beers.The yeast bite and sweet fruit flavored malts complement the hops nicely. The beer is somewhat crisp and refreshing and the alcohol is fairly well hidden. This is a yet another enjoyable beer from Avery.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful light gold in color with a frothy, white head.

It has a sweet and spicy aroma that also smells of dried fruits. Very nice.

The taste is very spicy and peppery at first. Pow! There is a big wallop of solvent alcohol flavor, too. Mixed in with all that is some malt sweetness and a bit of earthy flavors, but they are overpowered by the alcohol and spices.

The body is lighter than I expected, even a little watery.

For a beer that started out so promising, this let me down. Its alcohol flavors are just a little too powerful for me.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle purchased in mid May. Poured a chill hazed deep golden, but then turns clear rich gold as it warms. The smell is fruit, and candy sweet. There is also the slightest belgain funky yeast smell. Taste is of sweet malt, sugar, and a bit of mild hops are detectable in the finish as well. Mouthfeel is medium-full, a bit slick because there is no carbonated burn... very fine carbonation, and slightly dry. The alcohol is very well hidden and the overall experience of drinking this beer are so good it can be very drinkable.. but beware, at 9%. Overall just a bit more full bodied and sweeter than Damnation.

Salvation from Avery Brewing Company