Avery Anniversary Ale - Fifteen - Avery Brewing Company

good

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.68% ABV

(Beer added by: ArrogantB on 04-27-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avery Anniversary Ale - Fifteen Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -65.2%

After seeing the first two reviews were B+ I wondered if I got a bad beer but am afraid to buy another one to try.

Poured mirky yellow with yeast floating in the glass. Thick head and well carbonated

I split this with a couple of friends and we all gasped for air after smelling this beer.

It smelled of pork and saurkraut. The bottle read "funky" I guess they were right.

I tried to get down more than one drink but spit it into my glass. Tasted spicy and sour.

The label read April 2008 so I can't imagine this beer being bad from neglect.

1.35/5  rDev -62.4%

Wow, this beer is bad. I'm not sure if it's my taste, a bad batch, or what. I mean, when it says right on the bottle that it's smells funky, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This is definitely the most expensive beer I've ever poured out.

I guess if you're feeling adventurous, or you have the opportunity to get one for free, it might be worth trying. Otherwise... grab something else.

I would also like to echo the sentiments of some other reviewers and say that this is NOT characteristic of Avery brews in general, they make high quality stuff and I love some of their other beers. That's really why I purchased this one.

1.58/5  rDev -56%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Golden color and clear; good head with spotty lace.

Wild indeed; Lots of earthy and barnyard aromas. Faint olive, berry and dairy farm. (Yes, you read that correctly. If you haven't been to a milk producing barn, you can get an idea from this smell.)

OMG, the taste is poorer than the smell, particularly in the swallow, which is like drinking from the stalls of said dairy barn. It's sour without flavor--I can't find any of the spices, herbs or figs here. The aftertaste is ugly and unfortunately long lasting. Imagine stale postage stamps.

The body is too little of an improvement to save this one. I may have to dump this. Sorry guys; this is a clear miss.

1.6/5  rDev -55.4%

Beer poured a clear light amber with a nice head of pure white foam. Aroma has notes of sour citrus and unidentified florals.

Taste, however, is almost nothing but alcohol and a slight chemical burn that sticks in the back of the throat.

Likely a bad bottle, but not something I would chance on buying again. This will be the first bomber that I have ever poured down the drain.

1.7/5  rDev -52.6%

Wow, what a shocker. Had this on tap at Toronado and it was the first time I did not finish a beer there.

A - a reddish, copper like pour w/ about a half an inch of foam.

S - A very musty smell, I was expecting a more typical sour beer style smell akin to the RRBC beers, but was quite surprised that it smelled like a gym locker w/ fruits

T - Not good. Like drinking sour grass, probably the best way to put it

M - low carbonation, slightly astringent

D - Not very drinakble, I had to leave a third of it

1.75/5  rDev -51.3%

22 oz bottle purchased from BevMo at $7.49
The pour looked pretty good. A golden yellow, reminiscent of RR Temptation.
The smell was quite funky. Good, but something was off.
Taste was absolutely horrid for my palate. I couldn't stand the strong horsey taste to this. I love the wild beers and seek them out but this was absolutely awful tasting to me.
The mouthfeel wasn't bad, quite dry and effervescent
Drinkability was a dud. This was the first beer I have had, besides some homebrew, that I have actually taken two sips and dumped the rest.
Not my cup of tea, but obviously others have enjoyed it. To each their own and cheers to Avery for making 15 years worth of quality beers. Even if I didn't enjoy this particular offering, I still think Avery is one of the great breweries in America.

1.8/5  rDev -49.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by nickd717, mostly to make a point, I guess.

A: A murky light straw body with a finger of moderately-retaining off-white head. No clinging or lace.

S: Mild aroma of pressed rose petals. Musty.

T: Spritzy rose grenadine flavor. Maybe some pepper and a light hay flavor. Quite watery. The finish just drops off a cliff. For the style, this is pretty far below mediocre.

M: Overcarbonated, watery, unsatisfying. It's not offensive, but it's so underwhelming.

D: This is abysmal. I don't understand how anyone can regard this as an A-level beer. Does it really measure up to wilds from Russian River, Jolly Pumpkin, Lost Abbey? Really lame stuff.

1.83/5  rDev -49%

Pours murky yellow with a thin, fizzy white head. Aroma is very pleasant, possibly the only good thing about this beer. Figs, apples, and the advertised funky yeast reminiscent of a Flemish. The taste is brutal. Up front is nice: fig, hops, and hibiscus flavors. Then the wretched wild yeast takes over. Sour is not the word for it. It tastes like the tangiest pink taco you could imagine with a bile back. I gave this one a chance, making it thorugh 2/3 of a bomber until I cried "no mas." The only reason this rating didn't go lower is because I like Avery and applaud their willingness to take a chance. However, you could not force me to drink this again. You can ban me for life for this rating, I will stand by it until I die.

And yes, I like sours, I like Bretty beers, I just could not take this. Sorry.

1.88/5  rDev -47.6%

Picked up a bomber of this beer last night. I don't get many chances to sample wild ales, so this one was an easy choice. Poured in to a red wine glass a nice looking blood orange color, with more head than was expected. White heading sticks to the sides of the glass, and holds up pretty well. Smell is how I expected: some light sour fruit, basement funk, a bit of vinegar; overall good. Taste on the other hand was a complete one eighty. The only thing that came to mind is old milk, with a really weird stinky cheese taste. Some tartness sticks in there in the background, but not nearly enough to suppress the nasty dairy taste. Mouthfeel was weird in that although it wasn't that big, the flavors almost made me believe that it was as thick as milk. I also have to say that I am the last person to dump a brew down the sink, but I did in this case. It was simply a foul beer. I still like Avery a lot, but I have no idea what they were going for with this stuff. Go for the Fourteen if you can find it.

1.9/5  rDev -47.1%

Serving type: Bottle - 22oz

Purchased at Hollingshead.

A- Poured into 3 different glasses: pint glass, tulip, and mug. This beer pours a light, cloudish yellow, with a slight hint of orange. Huge head and extremely bubbly pour for the first (3+ finger), 2nd was a 2 finger head, and the 3rd was a 1 finger. They dissapated accordingly, but the 3 finger needed a spoon to scoop the thickness (seriously not a messed up pour, i swear), leaving minimal lacing.

S- This is one of the craziest beers I've ever smelled. It's a mixture of rotten fruit, stinky cheese, mustard seed, a sour twist, with other earthy smells. Frankly, it smells even worse the warmer it gets. It's not pleasent at all...

T- WOW, this beer tastes even worse than it smells. I've never been to prison, but I've heard countless stories of the alcohol they make in there - by more than one person who has made it- and from every description I've been given, this would be exactly what I would imagine it tasting like. The first taste I picked up was an overpowering rotten fruity concoction. The same rotten cheese notes were present as well. Call me crazy, ,but it has a hint of mustard SEED (a little different than same mustard). This beer still has a bit of tartness and a good deal of yeasty notes on the finish. This to me was something I would NEVER expect Avery to brew... definately the worst tasting brew (of an outstanding brewery), I've had of theirs

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium, with a yeasty feel and after-taste. The first glass poured was extremely carbonated, and actually retained it for a longer period than the others. The last seemed semi flat. It was a rather violent bottle-cap opening, and there seemed to be a little more carbonation than usual.

D- If you found this beer to be good, you could probably drink a bomber, but you'd have to be one crazy person to drink a full one.

From what I had heard (before reading the reviews), I thought it would be a refreshing farmhouse. This was actually the biggest letdown of any beer I've ever had. I've never reviewed any other beer before (nor do I have an urge to review anymore b/c you guys have a way with words that I don't), but this horrible experience was motivation enough to write this sole review. I bought another to try a year or so from now, and hopefully then, it will completely change (high hopes). Let me add that I love every single Avery beer, and would go to Boulder, CO just to visit them, but this beer was absolutely horrible. I jumped into this review thing with a big splash, and might be flamed for my criticism, but holy crap - this beer was straight up the most un-Avery thing possible. I can't believe they actually made this an anniversary brew... ouch...

Worth a try to see if you like it, but not recommended if you have any dislike for prison beer.

Can I please get a big beer next year??? I know you have it in you...

1.93/5  rDev -46.2%

Poured into a tulip slightly chilled, it pours a straw color with a big, fluffy off white head that grows to 3 fingers. Quickly begins to dissipate. Slight haze to this one.

Fairly sour aroma, reminding me of grapefruit juice. Maybe some alcohol on this one, as well as a bit of "I don't know what"...not very happy with the aroma of this one. A little mediciney.

Lots of carbonation hits my tongue and kills off some of the flavor I was hoping to experience instead. Not much flavor i can detect, except a bit of citrus flavors as well as a bit of peppery alcohol phenols...not impressed much at all.

Tough to say...carbonation kills much of the flavors and very sharp on my tongue. Medium bodied maybe....

I'll finish it to respect the beer, but this is the weakest offering I've ever had from Avery...usually a solid brewery. Not sure if I may have gotten a "bad bottle" or not, but this was close to drinking Budweiser in terms of "drinkability".

1.95/5  rDev -45.7%

Pours out a cloudy amber to yellow brew with two fingers of tan suds. This one looks the part.
Smell is sour cherries and caramel sugar.
Not a lot of other smells for me here to detect.
Taste just sucks ass. Like a dirty rag that has been stuffed into my mouth.
Mouthfeel is clean enough but I can't get past the taste.
Drinkability is nil.

Appearance: Golden with slight haze, lots of visible carbonation and a big two finger head of white.

Smell: Massively funky stuff. Cheese, sweaty socks, farmyard and wet dog. There's a fresh herbal undertone that doesn't quite gel with the funk. Decent, but there are more enticing brett beers out there.

Taste & mouthfeel: Starts off with a light sourness, faint grainy sweetness underneath. Sourness quickly becomes bizarre funk; cheesy, sweaty, downright odd. There's a lot of husky astringency as well, too much for a wild ale as far as I'm concerned. The finish is an odd mix of sour, sweet and tannic, with the astringent graininess prevailing, and eventually becoming annoyingly cloying.

Nice right before dark orangeness in the color. A hearty thick head that left a whole lotta lace residue and a hearty cap through the whole thing.
I'm not really too familiar with the farmhouse ale style but the scant I tried so far did have an earthy and grassy scent. This smells "earthy" but instead of some wide flower meadow....well it smells more like the farm FIELD where the goats and chickens run around after a rain than it does the farmHOUSE up by the road with the scent of wild flowers in vases and the aroma of fresh baked rhubarb pie from the oven.
There's a weird tartness up front. Funk? Ya got that right. It's almost like they took dried orange peels and pepper corns and cooked them in butter til they were almost black. Maybe on some fish or an odd cut of beef it may be okay but it's just not cutting it here. This odd not all that pleasant stickiness goes away as the brew warms up. Problem is that the weird "organic fertilizer" scent gets stronger too. The smell kills noticing any other nuances which are just odd and not all that appetizing to this palate anyways. The finish is almost like a well balanced lemony summer whit but then that (ungood) funk shows up again.

2.03/5  rDev -43.5%

Wow this was a real surprise. I loved the fourteenth anniversary and was anticipating Avery's attempt at a sour. This poured a nice burnt golden color and had a thin white head that faded fast. The smell is pure barnyard funk, but not as good as many other sours. As it warms I can get a little bit of sweet fruit and some of the hibiscus in the nose. The taste was just almost unbearable for me, really musty. Its just a weird sweet and sour taste that is completely unpleasant. I even let it warm from below cellar temp all the way to room temp and it just never worked for me. I had high hopes for this one but it just didn't perform.

2.03/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I like the idea of a wild ale as an Anniversary beer, but concepts don't necessarily turn out well in practice. I've been looking forward to see how this one managed.

Pours a slightly hazy orange with only a faint off white collar. Looks a bite lifeless without any carbonation bubbling to the top.

First sniff strikes me with fear. Band aids. Lots of band aids. I suppose this is part of the dangers in using Brett, but I've never experienced such an intense odor. Highly phenolic with only a hint if unripened pears and apple.

The taste is somewhat saved from the phenols with some spicing and a bit more of the fruit. The figs show through at times, but not to the level I expected having read the label. Still phenolic and even more so on the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is light, airy and comes off far too thin. Drinkability is greatly harmed by the phenols and there's nothing here to hang your hat on. Really an unenthusiastic beer. I've had much better from Avery. Maybe this will be a new beer in a couple of years. Who knows with Brett.

I would like to note I'm a huge fan of Brett and funky beers in general, but this one came off poorly in my eyes.

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

I've had my share of wild ales, but this beer was definitely not what I was looking for. It is definitely spontaneously fermented with lots of horse-stable straw flavor, but it had almost no acidity to balance out the funk. It was like drinking a beer version of Rocqueforte cheese that wasn't salty or tart. Combined with a mineral quality it had a distinctly meaty taste. It looked alright, pale and couldy, with almost no head and smell was fine.

Most disappointing was that I had this at City Tap House in West Philadelphia, at an event termed, "Best of the best," when in fact this was one of the worst wild Ales I've ever tasted

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

I am a huge Ale to the chief fan, so seeing any Avery single bottle gets me pretty excited due to the lack of good liquor stores in my immediate area. Let me say I was not impressed in the least.

The beer was poured into your average pint glass and looked fairly normally to me. It had a nice golden hue that was cloudy in appearance due to yeast sediments. The smell is what took me back however, a very musty manure type smell. Perhaps fermenting fruit? Either way it smelt awful.

Taste was no better; it was an upfront sour fruit taste, quickly followed by a flat flavorless sensation. Overall, a rather unique taste property, but unfortunately it was uniquely bad.

Drinkability was what I would expect from a subpar beer, it was not bad enough that I had to pour it, but it certainly was not good enough to ever consider drinking it again.

Overall, it was a very disappointing effort by Avery.

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

This Avery Anniversay is purportedly brewed with spices, herbs and figs.

It pours a cloudy orange/amber with a white head. Very light brettanomyces in the nose with hints of old fruit and a bit of a musty character; not the wet blanket characteristic of bret; rather something more like wet laundry. Weak nose of mild tangerine hidden in there, as well.

Mouthfeel is very thin. Flavors are weak and a bit offensive. Little redeeming flavors or character to this one.

Flavor of soap with hints of weak tangerine. Tastes more like dish soap than anything else. No hints of figs, hibiscus flowers or the white pepper supposedly used in the brew. Light bret character but with no real character or statement at all. Simply not pleasant in the mouth; it just "doesn't taste good." Light, thin, weak flavors. My impression overall is "fizzed out orange soda."

Finish is very short and with little character. All around, I would not try this again and this is likely the least desireable Avery I've tasted. I am a huge Avery fan and like most everything they do. And, they can handle bret and make interesting, characteristic beer (i.e., try the Brabant). Anyway, this is not the Avery from which you should judge the others.

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

2.3/5  rDev -35.9%

Got this bottle today (July 29th, 2009) and thought I'd give it a whirl before I let my family taste it this weekend camping.

The bottle was dated April 2008 so it is well over a year old at this point.

A: The beer poured a honey color with a fair head that dissipated fairly quickly with very little lacing. It has some fogginess but I can see my finger (or at least the movement) through 50mm of beer.

S: I don't know how to explain it... I didn't like it. Must have been the brettanomyces. I couldn't really pick out any other scents other than possibly the white pepper, which surprised me.

T: Again, not really my thing. It is a tad sour, and what I can only assume to be the brettanomyces is first picked up at the back of my throat. It really does taste to me a bit like a urinal cake smells... There is also some citrus notes in there, but it is really hard to get past the hops.

M: Creamy, with low carbonation. I like the way it feels, if only it didn't taste so odd.

D: Mmmm, I'm really tempted to poor it down the drown the drain, but I'm going to finish it off to see if I can pick up anything as it warms up. I doubt I will ever drink this again. I have the Sixteen in my fridge for later though.

2.3/5  rDev -35.9%

A - Cloudy yellow with ok head

S - sour with figs and some pepper

T - Odd taste hard to nail down. Can definitely pick up on the pepper though.

M - Good feel and smooth

D - It was worth trying but I won't be getting it again

Tried both the bottled and tap. Tap was better IMO but I have a couple bottles I am going to try and age and see how they turn out.

2.35/5  rDev -34.5%

My first full-bottle foray into this style, one that I find hard to approach. But I've put this off long enough, so we're gonna give this a shot tonight.

Appearance - pours with much activity into the SA etched pint glass. Four fingers of white foam churn up readily, with lots of beading from underneath the surface. The beer is a hazed golden straw color. The head leaves sparse but thick chunks and lines of lace around the edge. Takes a few pours to get a glassful, working through the foam. Despite a pretty hefty layer of sediment on the bottom, the last of it decants into the glass fairly easily. The few wayward chunks that fell in are getting tossed around by a tempest of bubbles.

Aroma - soapy, very soapy, with a light but potent funkiness. What have I got myself into this evening?

Taste - I can taste the hibiscus up front, light and flowery. I can pick up bits of pepper if I concentrate. The heart of the beer, however, lies in the far bossier profile of the brett. Like a blast of olive juice (I'm not an olive fan), it is relentless and soon a related band-aid flavor overshadows all others. I still pick up a glint of hibiscus and there is a welcome tartness on the swallow that gives me something to focus on, along with a mild but welcome breath of alcohol. Ultimately though, this beer, which I expect is well made, is a task for me to finish as I am not yet comfortable with the style. I don't care for the 'not impressed' label that goes with the score on this. It's not that I'm not impressed at all, it's more that this beer *just* avoided being offensively flavored. It's anything but boring, my tastebuds are in pandemonium at the moment...

Mouthfeel - this has a rather smooth feel, impressive for the high carbonation. Moderate body, nicely done here.

Drinkability - I have another bottle of this which I will age for several years; you know, until I can work up the courage to drink it. I can't say I enjoyed the beer, but I will try others of the style for the sake of education. Just not tonight. ;-) I am happy to report that I did finish this one, though I liked it the least of any Avery beer to date.

Avery Anniversary Ale - Fifteen from Avery Brewing Company