2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ale To The Chief - Avery Brewing Company

Ale To The ChiefAle To The Chief

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Brewed occasionally during election years.

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 07-22-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 488 | Reviews: 378 | Show All Ratings:
Patrick999

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Had this on a whim at Abraxas....poured into a fairly large, straight-sided glass. Orange-y body, soapy looking head that really looked like it wanted to stick on the glass, but didn't....I'm pretty sure that was the fault of the glass, possibly some detergent residue, as I never get any lacing at Abraxas. I'll give the beer the benefit of the doubt.

Appetizing citric hop aroma.

So, I was bracing myself for a grapefruit hop explosion, but what I got was more of a hit from what seemed like flowery noble hops. Not complaining - it was tasty, but I was surprised. This did not taste like your normal American DIPA. Staunch malt backbone. I don't think I'd call this a DIPA, but whatever it is, I liked it.

Slithery, soapy mouthfeel to go along with the soapy looking head.

It was pretty easy-drinking. Glad to have tried it.

08-23-2009 21:23:25 | More by Patrick999
caddybuyer

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass

A-Murky bright peach amber with a thin creamy head

S-Sweet malts with citrus hops in the background. A pungent nose.

T-Big, sweet caramel malts balanced roll across the palate, followed by the slightly tart citrus hops, a waft of alcohol, and astringent bitterness at the back end. I'm sure this was more hop-centric at oath taking time, but here at the end of August it has mellowed considerably.

M-On the heavier side of medium, with a big creamy feel. Nice balance of carbonation. Well done overall.

D-This is a pretty drinkable and enjoyable beer. A bit sweeter and malt oriented than expected (and I am by no means a hophead) Reminds me very much of DFH 90 Minute.

Another great effort from Avery...I just wish thier beers were not so expensive. This is pretty decent, and if any are left on your shelves, I would not hesitate to give it a try. not what it was when it was young, I am sure, but pretty damn solid with a bit of age.

08-18-2009 23:22:09 | More by caddybuyer
Stunner97

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance- amber brown with low to little carbonation, slightly white foam head and lacing that stays up on the top of the glass, very nice color, and the bottling is just awesome and the statement even better

Smell- such a beautiful smell on this beer, sweet malts and spicey hops mix together for such a beautiful nose, caramel sugar molasses and hops, great great smell

Taste- beautiful taste to me right from the first sip each time I have this, to me they with this beer found the absolute perfect balance between hops and malts, you get the sugar sweetness and the bitter hops both beautifully lacing each other out through a long integrated finish, this is honestly perfection

Mouthfeel- full bodied creamy and soft, just such and even nice mouthfeel

Drinkability- its so drinkable its so dangerous, you cant sense any alcohol and the lingering hoppy finish mixed with the malts leaves you just craving your next sip, Its a long finish and such a perfect balance, I have to say this maybe if not the best one of the best beers I have ever had hands down. Im telling you even Obama haters you have to try this beer. Its of and absolute legend status to me this beer. I really hope that this becomes a full time offering beer though I have fears it wont. Go get this beer before maybe its to late. You will thank me. So so so good.

08-06-2009 06:23:21 | More by Stunner97
hughesm4

3.18/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is not anything that I expected. The bottle states that is a pale ale, but beer advocate lists it as a double ipa. It is very possible that we had an old bottle.
A. There is a copper brown color with a very small amount of head

S. Smells extremely dtrong of malt with maybe a slight hint of hops but not much.

T. Tastes like watered down malt with a little hop after taste.

M. A bitter malty aftertaste

D. struggled through this one. I hope that i just had a bad bottle. This unfortunately was the worst avery that i have had.

07-31-2009 02:38:45 | More by hughesm4
mwa423

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

I can't tell if this is an old bottle or if ba has the style wrong. The bottle specifically says it is a pale ale with some extra hops. I suppose that could be a DIPA that has just aged but I am quite confused about what this is supposed to be.

The smell is all malty sweetness, almost reminds me of malt extract. The appearance was a half finger of head and a cloudy straw color. Appearance was closer to a hefeweizen then anything else.

The taste was all malt and relaticely unimpressive. It is almost like drinking watered down malt. I will have to read a bunch of reviews to get a better idea of what this beer is supposed to be

07-31-2009 02:27:14 | More by mwa423
Jmoore50

Nevada

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

This is a little old, sitting nicely on a BevMo shelf in the San Fran.

I liked the appearance, it was great. It comes with a nice copper amber color that is a slight hazy because of sediment floating around. I also like the two finger frothy head that came about, and the sticky medium lacing that covered the sides of my glass.

The smell was good, hops, hops, and hops. I also got a little sweet alcoholic smell, goes well with the taste.

The taste was good. Still has a hop bite, but mellowed out now because of the age on it. I get a sweetness and a honey influence as well. There is a little alcoholic tinge to the experience but I think that it adds a sort of complexity that I am really liking right now. I also get a dry malt taste that responds with the palate very well.

Good brew, worth the money paid.

J

07-25-2009 02:43:07 | More by Jmoore50
MisterClean

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Shared with friends at poker night.

A - Pours a copper-orange with a 2 fingered white head. Little retention, which gives way to no lacing.

S - Honey, caramel, and hearty notes of grapefruit.

T - Honey, caramel, and the hearty notes of grapefruit have been turned on by bittering hops.

M - Moderate bodied, well-balanced, and slightly sweet. May not have fully attenuated.

D - Good, could use some more aroma hops and attenuate a little further.

07-16-2009 05:26:00 | More by MisterClean
TeeCee

Louisiana

3.05/5  rDev -24.7%

Quick review - while I'm not an IPA guy, I've found a few recently that I like. This isn't really one of them.

Color - an orangey amber, cloudy. There was yeast in the bottle. Apparently, it's bottle conditioned. The pour, my pour, created about an inch of head, collapsing in short order, leaving lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - flowery, piney, and when agitated, some overripe fruitiness.

Taste - all the hops I was smelling, some maltiness that I couldn't smell, and that mysterious overripe fruit (not so much that it's the reason that I don't like this beer). The finish is all bitterness to the point that it dries my mouth.

Mouthfeel - medium thin in the mouth. I would have expected a little thicker to balance the hops, but not today.

Closing notes - the Shiner Cheer this past year had a rotten peach flavor to me. That's a bit of what I'm tasting here.

07-12-2009 18:56:23 | More by TeeCee
spratmi

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Poured a hazy amber/burnt orange color with a thick three finger head. Retained a lot of foamy lacing along the sides of the glass.
S: Very strong caramel malt dominated the front end of the nose. There were also notes of sweet floral hops and some citrus bitterness. A slight buttery alcohol presence was also noted.
T: The taste is a wonderfully complex blend of sweet caramel malt and citrus bitters with an alcohol presence at the end. Finishes with a lingering but not overly strong grapefruit bitterness. Hidden in it all is a buttery note throughout.
M: Excellent. Full, rich, and buttery with mild carbonation.
D: Very drinkable. I could easily drink several of these at a sitting. An interesting take on an Imperial IPA.

07-10-2009 03:52:09 | More by spratmi
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

4.13/5  rDev +2%

First off let me tell you that this beer has been in the fridge since it was purchased. Second, I didn't want to drink it because I cannot stand the current pReSiDeNt - he sucks.

Poured into a tasting cup this beer is deep caramel toffee in color with little head and a generous share of translucency (unlike the presidency thusfar).

The aroma is of cascade and chinook hops and a decent malt backbone. I wish our current president had as much - unfortunately he's a real pussy.

The taste is decent and has a high hop profile with a major alpha acid bite throughtout the experience.

The mouthfeel is light and femine much like Barrack herself.

The drinkability is fairy easy much like Mr. and Mrs. President. Let's hope this beer lasts longer than the president's reign.

06-19-2009 03:14:04 | More by PerzentRizen
number1bum

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a burnt orange amber color with a slight haze to it and three fingers of creamy light beige head. Lacing is very good, with a thick and very full lace and a ton of stick on the sides.

Smell is full of resiny pine, as well as earthy and bitter grapefruit hop aromas. Big malt presence as well, with bready and toasty grain as well as some caramel.

Taste starts off ok, with some caramel sweetness, toasted malt and a blast of pine. Midway through it starts to go downhill, however, with a gritty, very earthy and otherwise off flavor that I can't completely place. It becomes most acute in the finish, which is very bitter and tastes of soap scum, dirt and metal. I found myself needing to cleanse my mouth with another sip, the first half of which is pretty good, or a splash of water to wash the bitter, unpleasant aftertaste from my mouth. This off flavor really killed this one for me; it was so persistent that even a 3.5 was too high.

Mouthfeel is a bit more than medium bodied and pretty creamy, but not all that smooth owing to the gritty, dirty off flavor in the finish. Has a bit of a slick, oily feel to it but finishes chalky and somewhat dry.

Whether this is a DIPA, IPA, Pale Ale or somewhere in between two of the three, I must admit to being disappointed by this one. I'm a huge fan of Maharaja and Avery in general, but the off flavor in this one was unexpected and unpleasant. It's an ok beer, but doesn't come close to Avery's typical standard. I have another bottle in the fridge to share with my dad this weekend, so if this bottle seemed to be an anomaly I will revisit as appropriate. If not, I won't revisit this one again.

06-11-2009 00:26:17 | More by number1bum
PhillyStyle

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

22 oz bottle at Great Northern Tavern (Denver, CO):

Very nice hazy orange with a very nice white fluffy head that was very well retained and very nice lacing. There were also noticeable particles floating in the beer. A thin cap remained through out the beer. This is possibly one of the best looking beers that I have seen to date.

The aroma was very hoppy, floral with a hint of sweetness from the malted barley. That was really it, but it was well done.

The taste is very hoppy with a very nice malt backbone as well that really balanced the beer nicely. I also got some bready/biscuit flavor, but overall the flavor of the beer is very nice.

Full bodied beer, very good carbonation, smooth, creamy with an excellent aftertaste. I was really surprised, as most DIPA's that I have tried have a very thick feel, almost like syrup, but this beer steered clear of that and was most enjoyable to drink. Drinkability is very good, but given the ABV probably not more than one at a time, besides, this is a beer that should be savored and not rushed. I would have to say that this is an excellent to world class beer.

06-10-2009 16:38:07 | More by PhillyStyle
Onenote81

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Big thanks to Kiefdog for this 'extra' brew in a recent trade. Knocked one off my wants list...

First off, this is a very pretty beer. Pours a deep gold honey color with a huge off-white head bursting forth. Excellent retention, and it leaves some very pretty sticky lacing on the glass. Smells very sweet like caramel and buttered bread. Some faint floral in there, but nothing overpoweringly hoppy. I'm a little surprised at this as it's a DIPA.

Mouthfeel is a little slick and watery. Could stand a little more carbonation. Flavor is very sweet, mirroring the scent. Big malty caramel flavor all over this. Finishes bitter, but faintly. This is an interesting DIPA. This is more like an Imperial Pale Ale, rather than a Double IPA. A little too sweet for the style, but a good beer nonetheless.

06-03-2009 18:05:02 | More by Onenote81
meatmallet

3.93/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden orange with a medium off white head.

Smell: It has a wonderful pineapple smell to it. There are also hints of caramel and banana and pine.

Taste: Sweet and bitter all atthe same time. Oranges and hops blend well with the malts.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Leaves a good aftertaste in your mouth. A medium body and light carbonation make this easy to drink.

05-23-2009 22:13:10 | More by meatmallet
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Bought on my latest trip to CO for $6.79

This pours a clear deep amber gold with a 2 finger head of foam. There's plenty of nice lacing.

The smell is very big on caramel malt with also big notes of bread and earthy hops. A very nice aroma so I can't wait to dig in.

The taste doesn't let me down after such a rich mix of smells. Plenty of sweet malt character with the caramel and the bread with nice citrus and piney hops bringing THE balance and whoa...I'm loving it. It makes me wonder why I waited so long to pick up a bottle and even why I didn't pick up more than 1 bottle. It's also a strong puppy but the flavours I'm enjoying pretty much put the abv on the sidelines where it belongs so I can enjoy this Double/Imperial IPA's obvious talents. This is a great tasting example of the style. I make no bones about it.

It feels full bodied to me with a lightish amount of carbonation so it has a very creamy overall feel to it. One of the best mouthfeels I've experienced in any beer of any style.

Drinkability? Ha! No interference from the abv, delicious and enough complexity in the flavours to keep me on the edge of my seat, not to mention the superb balance....I could sip on more than 1 bottle at a sitting. Easily. Pure joy to drink and well worth the price I paid. This is now one of my favourite brews from the folks at Avery!

Oh and...head retention is top notch.

05-16-2009 20:50:11 | More by Bitterbill
snaotheus

Washington

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

22oz bottle poured into a 22oz mug.

Pours a nice cloudy golden with a slight orange tinge. Big poofy head and super lacing. Pretty carbonated. Smells bright, citric, and hoppy. Spicy.

Taste is pretty balanced -- the hops are very strong, but not overwhelming, and there's muted citrus sour and smoky nuttiness and fruity sweetness to even it out.

Feels a little abrasive in the mouth -- probably partially due to the heavy carbonation. Pretty drinkable beer -- not that I would recommend downing six of these in a night, but I might be willing to try it.

05-12-2009 01:57:20 | More by snaotheus
EnojysAnyBeer

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +14.3%

aged 6 or 10 months in the bottle. Not a DIPA, more of a barleywine with a light malt profile. Or a "Presidential Pale Ale" as Avery calls it.

A- Hazy copper/peach color with no visible streams of carbonation in my pint glass. Nice looking head with big, reflective bubbles common to beers with a lot of alpha acids.

S- Pineapples, bananas, mangos, a hint of caramel, and of course citrus fruits. Did I spill suntan lotion into this?

T- Lots of delicate balance to this beer. There is no single element dominating the flavor, everything mixes together great. The malts are sweet and slightly bready, the hops are bitter, resinous and dank, the yeast is fruity and the alcohol is dry and subdued. All the right things come across on the palate.

M&D- Gentle carbonation and a medium body with a certain dry character to it make for easy drinking and great by itself or as a pair with some grilled meat and your preferred sauce. BBQ for me.

05-10-2009 01:43:36 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
arizcards

Arizona

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up a bomber at Total Wine and More back in late February for $7.49.

Beer poured orange-amber with a huge fluffy head that is leaving lacing behind. Nose initially said malt bomb. Hints of perfumed northwest hops come out with a bit of warming. Taste is big on pale malts balancing nicely with a fair amount of floral hops. Mouthfeel is pretty full and pretty darn smooth. Drinkability is good as the abv is pretty well hidden. This is a big beer geared for the hop heads. Definitely a winner, recommended to try.

05-09-2009 00:58:56 | More by arizcards
scootny

4.13/5  rDev +2%

A chill hazed copper/amber with a thick shaving cream head of off white hue. Superb retention and lacing. An island sits in the middle of my glass all the way down as rings on the sides mark the descent. Mild carbonation.

Smell is a good indication of the what is to come. A very balanced but hoppy bouquet. More piney than citrus but nice grapefruit component is there. Light butterscotch. A sweet malt and caramel structure tuck the hops into a bready blanket bringing a bakery yeastiness tahat mixes with an estery fruitiness. Atop this the grapefruit makes a reprise.

Taste is what you have been set up for at the nose. With bigger hops of course. Still the malt structure is deep and satisfying. Hops are first with a firm flexing that melds into the malt for a moment as the caramel and toffee tinged sweetness rolls over your tongue. Bitterness fights it back with a pervasive wraping of the tongue with hop oil and grapefruit skin. This one doesn't stun the buds with a KO assault but subdues them with a constant bittering that lays down a suppressing layer on the mouth. Finish is dry and clean with more hop oil and tea leaves. A toasted crackery facet as well. Feel is somewhat syrupy with and gentle carbonation. A girthy medium weight and smooth.

Drinkability is quite good considering the abv and somewhat thick feel. It drinks almost like an IPA but it does catch up with you so be careful and enjoy!

A nice nod to the President and a good brew for us.

05-01-2009 02:51:06 | More by scootny
BuffaloTapHugger

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Bomber poured into a pint glass. Color is a somewhat hazy/dark red which turns orange into the light. A nice white head that retained itself for quite a while and some killer lacing throughout the session. Smells are of some piney hops and some earthy tones. I sense some biscuit and bread starter which brings back old memories. Taste is of somewhat a citrus-pine hit of hops, little bitter, but very plausible. Medium bodied, sticky on the palate with nice carbonation. Very drinkable imperial that doesn't do any harm. I recommended very much so.

05-01-2009 01:51:44 | More by BuffaloTapHugger
argock

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from 22oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. No freshness date. Purchased at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $7.75.

A: Murky dark amber with billowing, rock off-white 2-3 finger head with excellent retention and craggy lace deposits mainly at the top but down the glass as well.

S: Pungent floral and citrus hops aromas with a sweet, caramel malt center. A bit boozy in the nose.

T: Solid if typical DIPA flavor profile which fits the "balanced" DIPA category with orange and pine hops flavors met with a fairly big dose of sweet pale and caramel malts for the style. The alcohol is not perfectly hidden, but it doesn't detract much from the flavor experience.

M: Fully slick and mouth-coating with low carbonation as expected. Aftertaste is bitter and tangy sweet.

D: A very good but not great DIPA -- I prefer Avery Maharaja, Oskar Blues Gordon, and Great Divide Hercules to this one -- but it's solid and enjoyable with plenty of hops chops.

04-29-2009 17:34:51 | More by argock
skizziks

Kentucky

3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

A limited release from Boulder Colorado's Avery Brewing in celebration of the inauguration of our latest president. The TTB disallows the use of a president's name, but the clever label makes it very clear that Avery is not a stronghold of the John Birch Society and I would bet the break room TV is not tuned to Fox News.

I am immediately greeted by a big hop aroma with plenty of sugary malt coming through. Fresh bread, a little red apple, papaya, and a significant but not distracting alcohol aroma round things out. The tropical and resinous hops play well with the apparent and restrained esters.

A big 3" off-white fluffy head forms off the pour. It quickly dies down to a few thin patches with minimal lace, not surprising with the high alcohol content. The beer is a nice light copper color with some haze that appears to be more from hops than protein.

Hits the tongue with bread, dry biscuit, brown sugar, oranges and papaya. Resinous hops smeared all over with some raw hop cone astringence. Fairly well balanced with an increasingly coarse bitterness building against the sugary malts. Finish is long with lingering hop and warming alcohol.

Full bodied with moderate carbonation. A little heavy on the palate. This isn't a small beer by any means, and the alcohol is never hot or boozy, but it drinks like a stronger beer. The bitterness becomes harsher through the glass and begins to really impact the enjoyability. Some similarities to their Hog Heaven barleywine, but with more emphasis on the bitter instead of the malt. I'll stick to the Hog Heaven in the future.

04-29-2009 00:23:23 | More by skizziks
riored4v

Colorado

Reviewed on 4/15/09

Poured into a tulip glass. 1/2 finger, white head. Clear, copper body.

Smell was consisted of biscuity notes, caramel and nice malty sweetness. Mellow hop presence of spicy and citrus hops.

Taste was mildly spicey with a bitter finish. Good amount of caramel sweetness along with some medium roasted malts. Good maltiness backed with some biscuit flavors.

Mouthfeel was a medium body. Slightly syrupy with a crisp and slightly dry finish.

Drinkability was good. Slightly sweet but balanced enough to be enjoyable even with the slight alcohol warmth.

04-26-2009 19:33:24 | More by riored4v
Drew966

3.05/5  rDev -24.7%

Ale to the Chief pours a hazy orange with an off white head from a brown twenty two ounce bottle. The aroma has a bit of piney hops, but caramel is more prevalent. The flavor is disappointing, there is some caramel and some hops, but it's poorly balanced. Alcohol is pretty noticeable. This one just does not do it for me, Avery usually does significantly better.

04-26-2009 15:29:20 | More by Drew966
giblet

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a very good brew. poured nicely into the glass with rich one inch head. smells of hops but not overpowering. malty flavor but the hops are right on ya. good lacing down the glass

not as much heavy hops as i expected but a very good and balanced brew just the same.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet