Ale To The Chief - Avery Brewing Company

Ale To The ChiefAle To The Chief

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Brewed occasionally during election years.

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 07-22-2008)
4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours orange amber with a thick creamy white head, and slight lacing.

Aroma is bursting with juicy citrus hop - orange and pineapple, and an underlying caramel malt base. Surprisingly, for a very hoppy beer there is no trace of resinous pine.

Taste is smooth and mild. Malty sweetness, is toasty and smooth. Hops are exactly what the nose suggested, with generous light tropical fruit notes. Finish is clean and mildly bitter without a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium-full, and slightly chewy.

A very tasty, and dangerously drinkable DIPA. Very balanced. High ABV is undetectable. A winner.

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

A- pours a nice amberish brown with a little white head
S- hops, sugar, a touch of malt, corn
T- hops, more hops, hops , finishes with a little malt and sweet but not too sweet
M- really smooth, easy to drink
D- wow its really hard to detect the extra alcohol here.. be careful with this one

a really solid dipa

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

poured from a 22 oz bomber in to a goblet.

pours a lightly hazy golden brown with a sticky, clingly white head.

Smell of citrus is bursting out. pine and sweet malt is in the back, but grapefruit and other citrus dominate.

Taste is maltier than I expected, and doesn't have the bitter kick I expected, but still creates a great taste.

Mouthfeel is very sticky and full.

No strong aftertaste and well masked alcohol make this a surprisingly drinkable dipa.

I don't like Avery's incorporation of politics in to their business, (and I told them) but this is a very good balanced DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

L:Thick off white yellowish head. The color itself is a fantastic crystal clear amber orange. Very sporatic tiny little bubbles.
S:Holy crap, insanely pungent fresh pine needle hops. Just a touch of citrusy grapefruit. Very mild candy apricot sweetness.
T:Whoa, there come those pine needle hops I smelled. Rich and vibrant pine needle hops just continue to pound your sense through out tasting this beer. There is a little bit of wheaty maltiness to balance out those hops.
M: Tight sharp little bubbles keep pounding the sides of your mouth. Yet the beer still feel rich and fat. Very nice round feeling
D: Very cool beer. Not much balance involved. Just hoppy goodness on top of hoppy goodness. Very good.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.5's across the board with this puppy!

A-Drapery of white frothy almost whipped cream head (served at room temp so it would be heady as all shit!) a mild amber color and plumes of carbonation reaching the blanket of head.

S- creme` friache, alcohol, citrus, a foreshadowing of nice hops, and apricot esters.

T- Up front spice, acidic character, almost like bighting a lemon, but in a good way. the lemon is soaked in booze, and fresh malt that dropkicks your tastebuds into submission!!! Such a powerful and refined beer.

M-chewy, sweet but ballanced by a good amount of hop!

D- This might be a new favorite from avery. they never cease to amaze me.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Slightly hazy amber-orange. Frothy off-white head. Good lacing.

S: Mmm! Hops! Pine, orange, grapefruit, mint, woodsy, complex.

T: Lots of hops. Good maltiness of toasted grains and biscuit.

M: Very smooth for 8%. A bit harsh and dry at the finish.

D: Very easy drinking for the strength. A well balanced beer.

Comments: Best Double IPA. Period.

22 oz bottle at Great Northern Tavern (Denver, CO):

Very nice hazy orange with a very nice white fluffy head that was very well retained and very nice lacing. There were also noticeable particles floating in the beer. A thin cap remained through out the beer. This is possibly one of the best looking beers that I have seen to date.

The aroma was very hoppy, floral with a hint of sweetness from the malted barley. That was really it, but it was well done.

The taste is very hoppy with a very nice malt backbone as well that really balanced the beer nicely. I also got some bready/biscuit flavor, but overall the flavor of the beer is very nice.

Full bodied beer, very good carbonation, smooth, creamy with an excellent aftertaste. I was really surprised, as most DIPA's that I have tried have a very thick feel, almost like syrup, but this beer steered clear of that and was most enjoyable to drink. Drinkability is very good, but given the ABV probably not more than one at a time, besides, this is a beer that should be savored and not rushed. I would have to say that this is an excellent to world class beer.

Color: hazy golden brown

Smell: very hoppy/piney. hint of pineapple and malty/sugary sweetness. wonderful aroma

Taste: great balance of strong hop presence and malt. character carries over from aroma. little bit of yeast in the finish

Mouthfeel: low carbonation. medium body

Notes: a centerfold of an imperial IPA. hops and alcohol tingles all the way through. gives Ruination a run with a little more fruit in the nose and on the tongue

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

It pours a slightly hazy amber, amply carbonated. A finger of dense, eggshell head sustains long enough to leave a frothy moustache after the first couple sips. Thin wires of lacing circuit the inside of the glass.

In the aroma, the hops are all the rage, with dry citrus, lemon zest, and resiny pine playing wantonly. The malt bubble through from under, with a slightly sweet cast and a caramel complexion. The alcohol punctuates the air with a hot shaft of vapor.

Upon sipping, the malt this time comes first, with a manageably sweet character boating caramel and distant berry. The hops elbow in impatiently, casting forth showers of crisp, dry grapefruit, mandarin orange, and thick, oily pine. Esters boast a bit of peach that soon disappears in the wake of a brash wash of alcohol. Residual grain presence is mostly biscuit with a touch of sugar. The finish is very crisp, very dry, and very bitter, but in a homey, hop-head pleasing way. Simply, the impressive balance leaves nothing to not like.

Medium bodied, the malt has nice body, which is buoyed and borne by the oozing lubricant of the hops, leaving a crisp glow for the effort.

Thanks to Taylor at the Mexican Food Factory for the heads up on this, because I would not have wanted to miss it. It's big, bold, brash, and a few other good B's as well, with a balance that juggles some very hefty elements, and yet leads to a very fetching blend. And I can say definitively that it holds up impressively to a sassy quesadilla, often a daunting task but one this beer responds to with aplomb. Yes, the ABV is muscular, but it's not sly, so one can take heed easily. The only issue is knowing when to say when, because it goes down very well. Avery is always solid in my book. But this time, they went above and beyond.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

One of the highlights of Stone's 12th anniversary.

Pours an orange amber, small off white head.

Hops literally leap at you; grapefruit, citrus, and pine. Taste is explosive, with sticky, resinous grapefruit, some nice tropical/malty backing, and a lively mouthfeel. Could drink all day.

Great.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Copper color with a small head. They nailed the nose, with an intense blend of west coast hops that deliver loads of grapefruit and lemon. Flavor packs a wallop with a lovely, beautiful hoppiness. Lemon, citrus, resin, pure, oily hops. Well utilized hops and also hops of high quality. Delicious display of hops. Basically a 1.5 IPA here.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

A winner, no matter who wins.

Pours a bright amber with a fluffy, long lasting head with a bit of lacing. The aroma is huge, with a giant blast of grapefruity hops that you can smell from feet away. The taste is lovely, balanced, carmelly and malty with huge, fresh-tasting citrusy hops, with a bit of alcohol on the tongue. The mouthfeel is a bit clingy, leaving a lasting bitterness. A delicious, balanced, and beautiful offering.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Purchased at Brennan's in Madison, Wisconsin for $6.99.

Poured a beautiful medium shade of bronze, with a pillowy head of off white foam. A little lighter color than I was hoping for. Good head retention, however, and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. I was smelling this even as I poured, even before I stuck my nose in there for closer inspection. Once I did though, images of resin coated hops fill my head. Smells of sticky pine resin, and citrus fruits dominate.

Oh my, this is a flavorful beer. I have to take a few small sips to take it all in. Orange juice, fresh grapefruit, pine tree sap that you know you shouldn't taste when you were a kid, but you did anyway. At least I did. It's not all hops here though, the sweetness of the malt is substantial. It's a damn good thing there is so much delicious hop flavor, to cut through that sweetness. I don't detect any of the alcohol in the taste, although half way through my first glass, and I'm feeling pleasantly warm.

Good mouthfeel. It's a little creamy, a little chewy, carbonation is at a fine level that let's the bitterness dance all over your tongue. Finish could be a bit dryer.

I would have to say for myself, drinkability is rather high for this one. This is a highly hopped beer, perhaps even a bit unbalanced on the hop side but sometimes, that's just what I want. I was craving a hoppy, fresh tasting, pick me up beer. And that's just what I got. I'll be picking up more as soon as I am able. Ale to the Chief!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden orange in color, with a decent two finger white head with good lacing. A beautiful beer.
S: To be honest, I'm not usually big on IPAs or an imbalance of hops. But this smelled great! Citrusy grapefruit, orange, and and overall fruity smell tickled my nostrils. The piney smell of the hops was small, and the malt smelled sweet.
T: So much hop smell, but I found it to be a perfect balance of sweet malt and hop bitterness. The bitterness wasn't cloying like in some other IPAs, but balanced the malt perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised.
M: Perfect amount of carbonation and medium body. Very good feel in your mouth.
D: Highly drinkable. This was the first IPA of any sort that my girlfriend actually drank with me. I was very impressed.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It pours a beautiful clear pale copper color. Has a small dissapating off white head.

Smells of sensational citrusy-floral hops. No real malt aromas. The hops are just fine for me. Seems like more than Cascades to me.

Average to pretty nice lacing.

The flavor is of spicy, piney, citrusy hops and a little bit of malty goodness.

Pretty smooth on the palate, a little alcohol sting. And a little thin, but full bodied. A nice bitterness that lingers nice.

Bought on my latest trip to CO for $6.79

This pours a clear deep amber gold with a 2 finger head of foam. There's plenty of nice lacing.

The smell is very big on caramel malt with also big notes of bread and earthy hops. A very nice aroma so I can't wait to dig in.

The taste doesn't let me down after such a rich mix of smells. Plenty of sweet malt character with the caramel and the bread with nice citrus and piney hops bringing THE balance and whoa...I'm loving it. It makes me wonder why I waited so long to pick up a bottle and even why I didn't pick up more than 1 bottle. It's also a strong puppy but the flavours I'm enjoying pretty much put the abv on the sidelines where it belongs so I can enjoy this Double/Imperial IPA's obvious talents. This is a great tasting example of the style. I make no bones about it.

It feels full bodied to me with a lightish amount of carbonation so it has a very creamy overall feel to it. One of the best mouthfeels I've experienced in any beer of any style.

Drinkability? Ha! No interference from the abv, delicious and enough complexity in the flavours to keep me on the edge of my seat, not to mention the superb balance....I could sip on more than 1 bottle at a sitting. Easily. Pure joy to drink and well worth the price I paid. This is now one of my favourite brews from the folks at Avery!

Oh and...head retention is top notch.

Ale To The Chief from Avery Brewing Company