Ale To The Chief - Avery Brewing Company

Ale To The ChiefAle To The Chief

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Brewed occasionally during election years.

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 07-22-2008)
meeekyh

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from the 22 oz bottle into a Fin Du Monde glass. It is a nice hazy orange-amber and the ample head is off-white and leaves a lot of lacing.

Nose is caramel, anise, coriander and hoppy pine. There is also some dried-good/fish-store smell I cannot place, maybe caraway.

Taste is tangy and hoppy and bitter with little to no sweetness, but a good malt balance and a spicy aftertaste. And an earthiness that seems to go with the smell I couldn't place.

The mouthfeel is round but not real big, well carbonated and clean and dry.

I would be happy to drink more of this and it goes down with relative ease.

Avery makes some nice beers and this is no exception. There is a complexity that I cherish in beers but find on few occasions. I hope to revisit and see if I can place the smell and taste a bit more specifically.

01-10-2010 03:52:16 | More by meeekyh
Frosty80

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Color: hazy golden brown

Smell: very hoppy/piney. hint of pineapple and malty/sugary sweetness. wonderful aroma

Taste: great balance of strong hop presence and malt. character carries over from aroma. little bit of yeast in the finish

Mouthfeel: low carbonation. medium body

Notes: a centerfold of an imperial IPA. hops and alcohol tingles all the way through. gives Ruination a run with a little more fruit in the nose and on the tongue

01-23-2009 04:30:10 | More by Frosty80
BRLockwood

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

01-02-2012 03:42:40 | More by BRLockwood
Biggness

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer pours a semi cloudy amber with a one fingered head and lots of lacing. The smell is nice of carmel and malt, not alot of pine/citrus that I would expect from a dipa, but it is very nice. The flavor is the same, a very nice malt base but a tad low on the hop bill in my opinion for a DIPA, BUT in my opinion this is a wonderful double Pale. The mouthfeel is nice, not too creamy and the slightest dry aftertaste. A nice drinkablility for a high ABV beer.

03-19-2009 20:02:52 | More by Biggness
Rainintheface

4.05/5  rDev 0%

A: copper with the slightest cloudiness. has a one inch off white head which clings nicely most of the way down.

S: freshly sliced grapefruit, orange, mint and a cabbagey/vegetation kind of smell

T: has a rye-like spiciness. citrus with some malt lingering in the back

M: moderate in body, rather crisp with some hop bitterness. very nice feel

D: great drinkabilty

08-17-2008 17:42:20 | More by Rainintheface
bigbelcher

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

Lot's of well deserved hype about this beer. Big rocky head that lingers for quite a while. Exceptional amount of Belgian Lace indicating the great body of the beer. Color is deep golden.
Aroma is very fruity and crisp hop aroma of citrus. Flavor resembles a smoother version of Maharaja with more malt sweetness. Alcohol is well disguised and masked by the malt and hops. Veery well carbonated as indicated by the lingering head. Wish is were a regular Avery beer instead of a seasonal.

09-01-2008 15:44:55 | More by bigbelcher
sweetbrew82

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

22 oz. bomber/ bottled on 11/08 (according to website)

P: This "Presidential Pale Ale" sits a beautiful orange-tinged copper in my snifter. The nice and healthy white head is thick and creamy, with an almost whipped texture that shows good retention.

A: Hmm...These juicy hops are bringing my nasal passages to their knees with their power and brilliance. They smell amazingly fresh for being locked up for for more than 5 months! The lightly toasted pale malts hit the deck and cover their heads as the barrage of pineapples, melons, peaches, & tons of citrus to match come on a kamikaze mission for my sweet spot.

T: I usually don't even review really hoppy brews that are this old. But my first impression...once again, I'm amazed at how well this puppy has held up for the past 5 months! So just the fact that you're reading this is a compliment to the brewers at Avery. Just like Maharaja, this hop beast hasn't lost its greatest characteristic over time; Hoppiness!

Those hop flavors pretty much follow the nose. Citrus and tropical fruits with a hint of pineyness underneath. The pale malts know their role in the deal. They are just enought to support the brew and add a touch of caramel sweetness to slightly contrast the bitterness. If I'm not mistaken, those Magnum hops hijack the finish and release their acidic bitterness that bites your tongue on the finish. I really like this!

M: Ale to the Chief is a medium-bodied brew that is already pretty clean and smooth, with a creaminess underneath. But upon warming, it becomes much more heavy as well.

Notes: I wish I could have had this fresh! As is, this is a deliciously-hopped brew that was perfectly suitable for the onset of Spring. I love Pale Ales this time of year!

04-12-2009 12:03:44 | More by sweetbrew82
BigLittleHokis

10-07-2012 06:35:43 | More by BigLittleHokis
sevopie

4.7/5  rDev +16%

Appearance - Caramel Golden color; pours a generous almond colored head. Laces well.

Smell - Caramelly sweet, and citrus/piney hops bitter.

Taste - Piney hops, not so much citrus. Buttery flavor as well, with touches of sweet and malt.

Mouthfeel - Solid texture, slightly oily, good on the carbonation.

Drinkability - This brew makes me think a little bit of Stone's Ruination in a good way, because it has the hop bite I was looking for in that one. A finely crafted DIPA, I'm going to have to search this out again. Fantastic!

08-10-2008 23:53:05 | More by sevopie

10-14-2012 22:05:14 | More by Caleb
erikm25

Washington

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Pours a radiant reddish orange with crimson and tangerine highlights. The head is a rocky off white which balances nicely on the fire coppered body. Spotty lacing holds well around the glass.

S: Mandarin orange peels, leaves covered in dew, and bready caramel malts. Pine needle resin and apricots drizzled with brown sugar. Grapefruits smoked over pineapple juice. Melted candy on top of sourdough bread. Hints of toated lemon meringue pie.

T: This definitely has a massive amount of toffee and caramel malts. Solid peach, pineapple, and hop pressings. The first sip threw me off a little but still has both a sweetness and citrus hops taste. After a few more sips the balance evens out with a sugary pine and a bitter finish. Butterscotch soaked in red grapefruit juice. Spices help to numb the taste buds like rye bread topped with oranges and mangoes.

M: Solid medium and syrupy body. Slight carbonation with a heavy amount of booze goodness that clings to the mouth.

D: This was an interesting treat and a little different from most other DIPA's. Well worth the try. I'm pretty much apolitical or anti-political but I don't like or trust anyone so don't listen to me. However, I dig the Constitution and can can still appreciate the name and the idea behind the beer. In the end it was probably just a little too sweet for my tastes. Indian's "The Unquiet Sky" and Iron Maiden were and (should be) played loud.

02-08-2009 06:44:12 | More by erikm25
WhiteOak

Connecticut

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

Avery Ale to the Chief

A- Yellow-amber with a touch of haze. Expansive head settles quickly, leaving copious hanging lace and lace rings.

S- Bright citrus-rind hops, nicely pronounced buckwheat honey, bushels of apricots, coconut, pineapple, golden raisins, caramel, Riesling, and strangely and surprisingly... chocolate. Very nice aromatic characteristics.

T- Astringent attack of sour, bitter hops dominates the slightly sweet, medium bodied malt. Honey flavors. Hops also dominate the mid-palate and bitter finish.

M, D- I have noted some bottle variation. Always the flavors are appealing, but two bottles had their balance a bit off as the astringency & bitterness were quite forward, with the malt backbone slightly lacking. This leads to the mid-palate falling off abruptly, leaving a lighter finish with a tart final impression.
All other bottles have been excellent, in balance, and delicious - and are reflected in the grading.

01-31-2010 02:10:05 | More by WhiteOak
FlyingKelly

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

11-29-2012 02:06:00 | More by FlyingKelly
Spidey13

Kentucky

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Ale to the Chief pours a beautiful, hazy, amber/honey color with a small off-white head. The smell is mostly sweet, citrussy/tangerine hops.

The taste is sweet and hoppy; mainly citrus hops flavors. There is a strong but smooth bitterness on the finish. Other than the hops, there are some toast and caramel notes. The mouthfeel is full with medium carbonation.

Overall, I really liked this beer. A fairly simple Double IPA, but very drinkable.

03-02-2009 03:28:50 | More by Spidey13
ruckzuck

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Meant to drink this yesterday, but I completely forgot!

A - pours a slightly hazy burnt orange with a white head that subsided to a film pretty fast

S - hoppy all up in my nostrils. Tons of sweet pineapple with some nice floral notes. Actually fairly malty as well now that I sniff again

T - this is nice. It really isn't as hoppy as I thought it would be upon first smell out of the bottle. I mean there is some bitterness, but the sweet and fruity aspects of the hops are really the star of the show, especially that pineapple. Malt provides a nice backbone for an all around enjoyable experience

M - medium bodied with a pleasant amount of carbonation. Nice and smooth going down

D - this is good. Then again, it's from Avery, so big shocker. Would drink again, and I love the concept! Will finish bomber no questions asked

01-22-2009 04:57:12 | More by ruckzuck
Tdizzle

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

Purchased at BevMo! in Brea.

A- Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass, this beer pours amber with a billowy two-finger head that's white in color. The head settles to a thin layer that never completely dissipates, leaving some web-like lacing on the glass after each sip.

S- A decent amount of piney hops with a faint malt backing that has a slightly sweet, vegetable-like aroma to it. The 8.75% ABV becomes more noticeable as the beer warms.

T- The bitterness is not nearly as intense as I would have hoped for from an Imperial Pale Ale. That vegetable-like maltiness that the aroma possesses is also present in the flavor of this beer. The finish is only slightly dry and leaves a mild bitterness on the back of the tongue, along with a bit of a kick from the alcohol.

M- A full-bodied feel with medium carbonation.

D- I had trouble finishing an entire bomber of this beer. I just didn't care for its flavor, and the 8.75% ABV is more pronounced than I would have expected.

08-12-2008 06:10:15 | More by Tdizzle
MMBrew

07-14-2013 03:01:13 | More by MMBrew
dogger6253

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Well, to say I'm stoked about a new imp. IPA is an understatement. The pour is a hazy, dark amber color topped with a huge, tan head. The head lasts forever and has a nice density to it. Great lacing!

The smell is wonderfully fresh. A nice, flowery hop scent with a little bit of citrus mixed in. The scent hints at this being a heavy beer, but at the same time is light and airy.

Hmm... It's hard to put my finger on what I'm tasting. Without a doubt, I can taste a bitter grapefruit and a grassy hop flavor. Later comes lemon zest and an almost chocolate-like bittersweetness. Each sip finishes a little sweeter than the one before.

The body is about as heavy as I expected, but with some carbonation lightening the mouthful. Crisp finish, very refreshing as well. This stuff is pretty good, it's a shame it's a one-time brew.

10-04-2008 04:03:44 | More by dogger6253
Tolann

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

A - golden in color and crisp in appearance. White head and great lacing. Not a lot of cascading bubbles.

S - Sweet fresh hops. kind of grassy and floral

T - Hops. All hops. Citrus and big hops. doesn't bite you tho. so smooth and so nice. Wow. YUM!

M - Smooth but light feel. great after taste. Not too bitter at the back of your throat. Super nice. Not too sweet either,but its there

D - Makes you wanting more. gimme gimme gimme! I think I need more of these bombers

08-09-2008 03:11:36 | More by Tolann
ballewblake

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from bottle into Duvel tulip.

Two finger off-white head that drops leaving thick lacing on the glass. Light bubbles linger on an amber body. Lacing persists through out the drink. Sweet grapefruit hops on the nose, sweetly bitter on the tongue. Good overall balance for a double ipa, perfect carbonation, great mouth feel.

02-07-2009 01:19:38 | More by ballewblake
JasonA

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a good finger and half of fairly thick off white head. Ample head, with ample staying power. Gonna let this one sit a min

Piney citrus caramel malt bouquet. Boozy malt.

Tastes like it smells. I will say I get a bit of dry biscuit in there.

I would say it might be a tad over piney pale. Not bad, but not exactly what im looking for.

Overall a good beer. Ive had better and I will probably have better in the future. For the most part it felt like a common Pale Ale albeit more boozy.

04-03-2010 21:17:08 | More by JasonA
Ek0nomik

Wisconsin

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured In: Snifter Glass
Purchased At: Surdyk's (Minneapolis, MN)

Avery Brewery, check.
IIPA, check.
Celebrating the new POTUS, check.

I know this beer is past its prime, but I found this lonely looking bottle on the shelf this past weekend. Since it's a one time brew, I figured I shouldn't pass it up and I crated it.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy copper color with a finger of head. Although it's too cloudy to see how effervescent it is, you can hear a quiet stream of bubbles grasping for air. I can tell from the smell of sweet sticky malt that lacing will be covering this snifter. Yep, sheets of lacing are scattered across the glass.

Smell: A nice blend of earthy notes with a strong sweet malt backbone. There's also a slight hint of citrus, including some grapefruit and orange peel. The alcohol just every so slightly shines through, with a little harshness climbing into my nose.

Taste: After a few splashes cross the palate, I think I'm ready. First, very sweet caramel malt. They seem to be lending themselves well to the amount of alcohol and hops in this. The sweet malt unravels into earthy notes including pine resin and grass. With the beer leaving my mouth I'm left with a slight bitterness and citrus aftertaste including orange peel and grapefruit rind.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied beer, slightly on the more full of medium side. The carbonation was a little high when I first cracked open the bottle, but now that it's been sitting for an hour it's just right.

Drinkability: Another well put together beer by Avery. I wouldn't mind seeing the sweet malt cut back just a tad, and a few more cascade hops thrown in, but still a great beer. The ABV makes it a tough one to have on a weeknight, but I'm doing it anyways.

I wish I would have had this in my hand after the election last November after I lit up the cigar to celebrate.

11-03-2009 02:07:14 | More by Ek0nomik
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

4.13/5  rDev +2%

First off let me tell you that this beer has been in the fridge since it was purchased. Second, I didn't want to drink it because I cannot stand the current pReSiDeNt - he sucks.

Poured into a tasting cup this beer is deep caramel toffee in color with little head and a generous share of translucency (unlike the presidency thusfar).

The aroma is of cascade and chinook hops and a decent malt backbone. I wish our current president had as much - unfortunately he's a real pussy.

The taste is decent and has a high hop profile with a major alpha acid bite throughtout the experience.

The mouthfeel is light and femine much like Barrack herself.

The drinkability is fairy easy much like Mr. and Mrs. President. Let's hope this beer lasts longer than the president's reign.

06-19-2009 03:14:04 | More by PerzentRizen