Brabant - Avery Brewing Company

BrabantBrabant

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.65% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-09-2009)
3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

This is going to be a bit interesting to review. This is a young beer (per packaging) and will probably age out nicely. Put that said if the brewer thought that it was be better aged, they wouldn't have released it so early.

Pours a semi cloudy drown color with some amber hues throughout. A fizzy off white head that has limited retention, but once you swirl the glass leaves a fluffy head that has good retention. Limited lacing throughout.

The nose has a light brett aroma. Somewhat subtle overall with a light funk, horse blanket and a light butyric. Would like a bit more funk overall. Just a bit too light for me. The malt is there with some caramel notes and a light toffee/bready aroma. Some minor esters cherries and figs with a light sharp lactic note. Some wine character, but limited aroma as a whole.

The taste is similar. The malt comes out a bit more and balances with the yeast. A slight sour taste up front with some drying but limited. Is replaced with a toffee malt note. A little generic in flavor with a wispy feel. Some red wine and cherry notes come out next. The yeast comes out as well, with some brett notes and a light barnyard note. Really would like more funk altogether, hopefully with age this will be more apparent.

The body is a touch wispy. Dry in the finish, but would like a ton more complexity overall. Carbonation is a touch high which could be a bad think down the line. Overall kind of sad to open this so early. It reminds me a lot of Avery's 15th Anniversary beer, but without the extra spices kicked in.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

The bottle ays 8.65ABV

Color was black with some red hues. Tiny champagne like bubbles when poured. Tiny brownish head.

Smell was the funk of wine barrel aging. Smells like consecration but sweeter, with sour fruit essences.

Taste was a cluster-fuck of flavors bursting in your mouth.
Barnyard funk coated with pretty high hop content for the style. Some alcohol hotness, with red wine overtones through out. Not as sour as you would expect from the smell.

Mouthfell was dry, a little thin, but pleasant.

This is a drinkable young beer, that Im sure would do much in the cellar as the brett transforms the flavors.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottled on Feb 10 2009

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have to say I haven't had a ton of experience with wild ales. I did enjoy a La Roja sampled at a local Alefest a while ago, so I thought further research was needed.

When I topped off the pouring of this dark brown liquid with copper edges, I heard a strange sound. It was carbonated, like I just poured Coke in my Stella glass, hmm? Not truly knowing what I was getting myself into, the smell surprised me. I read a lot of different kinds of information on here and kept seeing users mention a "barnyard funk" smell. Now I understand. Diving taste-buds-first into the glass, I realized the beer didn't taste as funky as it smelled, rather, it was more sour and tart. I could tell it had been aged in zin barrels, but as it warmed, it delivered notes of oak and tobacco.

Wandering around the inside of my mouth, the carbonation reminded me of sparkling wine but would be more acceptable to my palette if it was cellared for a year or more.

For me, the jury is still out on the style of wild ales but there's only one juror still undecided. Not me. I like wild ales, and enjoyed this bottle of Brabant.

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

12 oz bottle, bottled on 2/10/09. Pours a dark reddish brown with a large rocky light brown head that retains and laces the glass.

The aroma is some wheaty malts, funky yeast and acidic brett. As it warms some chocolate, fruits and leather come out.

The flavor is funky yeast and a little vinous fruitiness followed by a pretty big acidic bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with creamy carbonation.

Overall, very different. I'm not sure I care for the acidic bitterness. There's a lot of brett here but it's a bit over the top and not well balanced. I'd prefer a bit more sourness. It would be interesting to see how this ages.

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

250 ml serving in a Chimay goblet at the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party on 3/29/09 poured from a 12 ounce bottle by Julian, reviewed from notes on my cell phone

A-Very dark brown color with some red around the edges, one inch creamy beige head that stays around for close to ten minutes, leaves a ring, some nice wine-like legs
S-Brettanomyces, raisins, caramel, cherries, hint of roasted malt, other dark fruits, red grapes, sugar, and sour earthiness
T-Starts off with a light sour flavor, sweet fruit in the middle that is mostly dark grapes, finish is very dry with some tart from the wild yeast, malt becomes a lot stronger once it warms, nicely balanced between sweet and sour throughout, will probably get even better with a few months of aging in the bottle
M-Dry, sweet, slightly tart, and funky mouthfeel, medium bodied, good amount of carbonation, taste lingeres with brett at first and then grapes later
D-Could have drank another few glasses of this, on the heavier side for a wild ale and you can expect that with the color alone, booze are hidden well though, goes down like red wine

I was planning on making a special trip to South Bay Drugs on Sunday morning to pick a bottle or two but I got to have it hear instead, I plan on going some bottles in Denver too, will be putting some in the cellar to see how they age, recommended

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

APPEARANCE: Top marks because I've never seen a beer so dark! In a round goblet it looks like a exactly like a black bowling ball. I held it up to a halogen bulb and literally no light made it through. Holy cow!

SMELL: Extraordinarily sour sipping wine. Very much the cheesy funkiness like people describe. Super unique and unaccustomed to what I'd imagine beer to smell like.

TASTE: Quite strange sensation - but not bad. Like drinking really palatable wood. Sour berry fuitiness comes out in the middle, but it's largely devoid of sweetness. Very dry with a sweet/tangy red wine finish.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights and a thin off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of brett, lemons, sour cherries, almost a smoked malt character in there, maybe from the barrel. Taste is fruity and funky. A bit of phenol, spicy Belgian yeast, and a touch of alcohol mid way. Finishes quite dry but leaves a lingering funk mixed with lemons on my palette. Carbonation is middle of the road, refreshing as a lot of sours seem over carbonated to me. Body is medium with a dry finish. Mouthfeel is syrupy. The brett character comes out well in this. Easy drinker, for a funkified brown ale.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Bottle.

Poured a deep dark brownish color...wow i was not expecting that color to come out of the bottle.

Aroma right away before i can get it up to my nose is a lot of brett funk. Its musty, wine like with hints of cinnamon, vanilla and dark fruits. It also has a small sour note to it.
Taste is good. Dark fruits, a mix or sour and funk from the brett, some oak, vanilla and a hint of chocolate. Its a nice beer, i think it needs some time to develop a bit more.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

12oz bottle with 8.65% ABV listed on it. says bottled feb 10 2009. 694 total cases produced.

A- this one pours a dark brown, nearly black, body with a finger and a half of mocha colored head. little to no lace left on the sides of the glass, and poor head retention.

S- this one smells strongly of red wine, and also lots of other fruits. grapes of course, plums, figs, raisins/tobacco, and cherries. lots of mustiness from the wild yeast.

T- easily the most vinous beer ive ever tasted. lots of red wine. lots of the other fruits i could smell also. grapes, cherries, plums, figs, and raisins/tobacco. some sourness, but hard to notice. lots of mustiness comes through. slight warming from the alcohol. some oakyness too.

M- medium bodied with a low level of carbonation. lots of warming in my belly after every sip. very smooth.

D- as i said, this is the most wine-like beer ive ever had. i bet this would be a good introduction into the world of craft beer for the wine enthusiast. easy to finish the small bottle, but too much of a novelty to want a second, and the price is pretty steep for something to session.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Just tried this with a few buddies, which I recommend b/c if you're not into sour beers of any kind it's better to pop one with more than just a couple of other guys. The Zin barrrelling is prevalent in the nose. Kind of Vanilla and a little vinous. Very interesting. Color was deep mahogany. The head was creamy yet delicate. The consistency was a little stickier than expected; definitely stuck more to the roof your mouth and to the palate. Flavors were slightly toasty from the barrel treatment. Adam Avery married the slight raisoniness of the zin with the sour notes from the Bret. Not quite what I expected and way more pleasing than other sour beers I've tried before. The amberness delivers on the palate with the heft of dryer malts. The end kind of kept coming on in waves. Even now as I type with most of my glass gone the threads still are leaving their imprints of wine, sour dough bread, and woody dry malt on the tongue. I don't recommend this as a quick pint at the ball park.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

A - Dark, dark brown with a fluffy three-finger tan head Thick & chunky lacing.

S - Brett, vinegar, grapes and oak (the zin barrel definitely makes its presence known). Other dark fruit notes (plum).

T - Plum, fig, earth and oak hit the palate. Musty. Much more grape in the nose than the palate. Some chocolate notes. Tart, but not sour. A bit sweet in the middle, actually. Like Duchesse, only not gross.

M - Light and fluffy. Off-dry finish.

D - One is enough for me. Tasty, but it doesn't leave me wanting more.

An interesting beer. I'm not sure if the Flemish Red was the style they were after, but it's very close to what they ended up with. Not bad by any means, but it lacks the magic of the other great American Wilds.

Bottle From shigadeyo.

Poured dark brown color with a large frothy off-white head that was mostly lasting with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy sour yeasty aroma. Medium body with a slick texture and flat carbonation. Medium to heavy sweet & sour flavor with a medium sweet & sour finish of moderate to long duration.

My expectations where met with another of the top six as a sweet flemish sour style.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: The Brabant pours much darker than I imagined it would. Even after holding this puppy up to the light, I still can't see through it. It is essentially black with only the slightest bit of purple-brown color sneaking out from time to time. There is a fair amount of lacing, but really not much head at all.

Smell: The fermented brettanomyces yeast is all up in the nose, which is accompanied by lots of dark fruit aromas such as prunes, raisins, and figs. This combination of smells puts off a lot of funk. In the back, too, I get a nice bit of extremely ripe (bordering on rotten) banana. As I had hoped, I definitely smell the deep smoky grape components in here from the zinfandel barrels.

Taste: There is an immediate tartness from the yeast and the funk carries over to the palate. This is the element of the beer that makes it hard for me to love. I really like the zinfandel barrel aging of this beer. I think wine barrels for darker beers like this will be a good movement. There is a medium amount of bitterness here that I like, but I don't think it's enough to balance out the other flavors. I'm definitely getting the dark fruit components from the nose here, too.

Mouthfeel: This is where the Brabant falls short for me the most. There is a light tartness that stays on the tongue for awhile. The zinfandel aromas are left only after everything else has gone. But it is ultimately the yeast component that lasts the longest.

Overall: I guess I wasn't sure what my expectation of this one would be. I have not transformed myself yet to loving the brettanomyces yeast beers. This is only a personal thing that I hope to get past soon. For the most part, though, the Brabant was enjoyable but not something I would hanker for again. I would love to see this one be a little more balanced with a bit more body.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Looks and smells the part of a Wild Ale, if blindfolded I would have said Madrugada Obscura from Jolly Pumpkin. Pours black with a crimson glint when backlit, fizzy bubbles fade to a ring, leaving spotty lace. Very complex nose, wet gravel and hay, moss, dried berries, dark malts. Flavor is very dry and Brett forward, a distracting metallic note is also there with some astringency. Lingering scorched popcorn kernels and dark berry. Feels dry and effervescent at first, but deflates across the palate. Berry or Zin gives it a trace sweetness that cues the salivary glands ever so slightly. Flavors are interesting, but in the end don't feel harmonious. Hope this series refines itself as it progresses...

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a dark ruby brown color with a large fluffy tan head.

Scent of dark fruit, sugars, oak, vanilla, maple syrup, yeast, and a hint of alcohol. Great scent, complex, but not too overly so and well rounded.

Taste of fruits with a harsh marshmallow flavor initially with some yeast, oak, caramel and sugars. Alcohol is well hidden, but other than that this one is pretty underwhelming, it's a shame considering the wonderful scent.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with great carbonation.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

The beer appeared a dark brown on the pour and was opaque when held to light. Smelling was a treat; the tartness of the farm ale yeast fermentation, accentuated by the sweet and sour aromas of the Zinfandel make for an intriguing odor that refreshes with every swallow. Taste was nice and tart, but not at all in an off putting manner (coming from one who is not particularly fond of the farm ale/lambic/barley wine styles); I found that, overall, the flavor had a nice balance. From the first touch of the tongue to the swallow, one experiences a range of sweet and tart to a hearty, but subtle, bitterness in the back of the mouth. Mouthfeel is pleasant--smooth, good carbonation, but nothing terribly remarkable. As far as drinkability is concerned, I'd drink several of these if I had them; the beer is delicious and refreshing all in all.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

A- Dark dark brown, borderline black. Dark beautiful head that settles slow.

S- Fruity, sour

T- Complex mix of fruityness and sour. Little to no hop presence, appealing for this kind of beer. I enjoy it.

M- Silky, slippery, strange, first sour beer I have ever had. Different but good!

D- Very drinkable

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

12 oz bottle poured into an Ommegang tulip. Half inch of dark tan head. Gradually recedes and leaves delicate lacing. Color is a dark bakers chocolate brown with polished mahogany highlights.

Smell is a sharp tart sour berry with dark hardwood aromas. Taste has much more of a malt character than I would have expected. It's like chocolate malt with cranberries.

Medium bodied with a mild, crisp carbonation. Very smooth and drinkable. I would like to see how the Brett ages with this one.

Blipped "Sour Times" by Portishead

Bottle into red wine glass.

Pours a dark brown, a bit hazy, with a one-and-a-half finger, fizzy light tan head. Clings to the glass.

Nose is funky up front, with some light citric sourness and bretty horseblanket funk, with some nice, sweet cocoa notes poking up from underneath as well. There's a clean fruitiness that is reminiscent of tart berries, and Zin barrel comes through as well, but not overpoweringly so.

Zin aging seems much more prominent in the taste - there's a nice, mellow dark malt character, hinting at cocoa and dark fruit (currant, red grape, even a bit of blackberry), enveloped in a musty sourness. Sourness carries wild notes of horseblanket and barnyard, with the tannic vinousness really coming out for finish - again, a bit musty, lingering funk, with a vinous exhale.

Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, full bodied - well suited to the beer.

A nicely done beer; nice balance between beer and brett, letting the body of the beer have a say as well. Seems to lack the integration you see in the absolute best of the wild-yeast American takes. A bit of lacto, I think, would have really brought it up a notch overall. Still, a well done and nuanced beer.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

I let crazynelson talk me into a bottle of this. Wild ales are quite a challenge to my palate, here's hoping some zinfandel barrels help out.

Appearance - pours surprisingly dark into a Maudite Belgian, no light getting through. I brief light mocha head disperses some dots and swipes of thin lace. A mostly bare cover after several minutes.

Aroma - yeah, it's funky, perhaps a touch of florals but it's hard to tell.

Taste - hey, not bad! The dark ale has some good roasted malt complexity, some faint chocolate and coffee notes coming through. The brett is low key, enough to make its mark but not enough to make me screw up my face or anything. The barreling comes through on the aftertaste; zinfandel isn't all that complex a wine but the vinous nature is here, along with cherry flavors. An even layer of abv warmth wraps it all up into an impressive package. Another breakthrough for the style as far as I'm concerned. This is easy to drink for me, I suppose that could mean that hardcore brett fans may be disappointed in that aspect, but there are lots of flavors here to enjoy. The finish is more zin-like, with a touch of roast and brett.

Mouthfeel - average, maybe a touch thin, but does create a light smoothness on the tongue. It is very crisp and has a refreshing element to it.

Drinkability - yes, I'd have this again willingly. Ultimately, I think my inexperience with wild ales plays to my advantage on this one, as the lighter brett character is a positive. Thanks to crazynelson for the encouragement!

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

12 ounce bottle, bottled on Feb 10th, 2009. Pours
black, with a dark tan head, fluffy and loose, and leaving nice bits of splotchy and standular lace. The nose is full of wood, barnyard, cheesy funk. Nice. Bold and flavorful offering. More barnyard, wood and slightly sour goodness. Dark malts also in evidence along with some hoppy dryness in the finish. Nice offering. Wish I had the patience and room in my house to put a few bottles away for a year or two and see what develops with the Brett. Hats off to any brewers who are taking risks and brewing wild ales such as this one. Seek out and enjoy

Served cool, about 50 degrees, in a Belgian style goblet.

Pours a very dark brown color that looks almost black in the glass. Thin white head is slow to settle leaving a nice lace around the edges.

The aroma has both wine and wood in equal measures. There is also a little bit of sour funk from the wild yeast.

Taste is tart, slightly sour, and tannic. In fact, this beer has all of the basic flavors covered with sweetness up front and bitterness on the finish. The sour is kept under control by all of the other flavors and it actually seems really well balanced. The zin barrels impart a big red wine flavor to the beer and there seems to be a tannin dryness that will be recognized by wine drinkers. The final part of the puzzle, and the part that is most puzzling to me, is the roasted malts that grow more noticible as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and well carbonated. Nothing unusual or exceptional about it.

Drinkability is good but I wouldn't imagine having another any time soon.

This beer is difficult to analyze. After having La Folie and Consecration, this just falls short. I would love to know what this beer would be like if it hadn't got the zin barrel/wild yeast treatment. I feel that it would've been a strong porter and that just doesn't seem like the best starting point for this kind of beer.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

A damn fine looking specimen of a beer. Pours an opaque deep mahagony color with a thick wound layer of tan whip cream head. Great lacing as well with wonderful retention.

Nose is earthy tartness, jammy fruits, earth, yeast, hints of wood, and more zinfandel type fruit character.

Nicely balanced not overly puckering or sour. Brett shows moderately on the middle and finish. Very fruity and tart. Earthy with a thin body that widens toward the end. Zinfandel aging works well and adds a layer of wood and jammy fruit component. A good beer that I think will keep getting better.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle shared by PWoods.

Very dark ruby brown on the pour. Half inch of off white head. Plenty of carbonation running up the side of the glass. Smell is very dark, ripe fruit.
Taste is dark plums, grapes and the Brett has taken a good foot hold on the beer already. The carbonation is a bit too much to start, but once it warms it really mellows down a bit and really smooths out. Solid offering and pretty tasty. I can't help but to keep thinking of my first love, Russian River Consecration though. At $9 a twelve ounce bottle, Avery has placed this beer in the same category as my beloved Consecration, and honestly, that's not something anybody should try to compare themselves to.

2.55/5  rDev -33.4%

As noted by others, the abv is 8.65% and this particular brew was bottled on 10 February 2009.

A: Lovely dark brown hues, which leave considerable lacing.

S: Tart, musty, farmhouse funk.

T: Initially quite sweet, but soon the sourness takes over. There is a hint of the Zin barrel at all stages. This tastes like funky wine, i.e. not something for me.

M: Solid enough.

D: I returned to this after a 30 minute dinner, wondering if I'd be more impressed. No. I prefer sipping on other sour, wild ales. Would this age well? Hmmm...

I'm not an Avery person it seems...I believe I preferred Avery 15 to this (a side by side would be warranted if someone else paid for it). I hear Maharaja will prove the exception to this rule...and I also need to try the Reverend and Salvation. I want to like this brewery...

Brabant from Avery Brewing Company