Avery Anniversary Ale - Sixteen - Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.69% ABV

Beer added by: waltonc on 05-31-2009

2.17/5  rDev -43%

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear very light yellow with a small white head that quickly goes to a thin film and leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is very stinky earthy yeast.

The flavor is sweet vegetal malts with earthy yeast and spices and some fruits. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very spritzy carbonation that makes me hiccup.

Overall, I didn't care for this at all.

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

On tap. Pours a hazy lemonade yellow with a medium white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of citrus, honey, and a strange mineral character. Overly sweet and just generally unpleasant. The taste differs, with sweet malt and sugars coming to the forefront, along with some light fruity notes and spices. No real saison character. Kind of bad actually. Medium body with good carbonation. Overall, slightly offensive.

2.72/5  rDev -28.6%

Bomber from Buffalo.

Pours a rich and deep gold with a soapy cream head that soon fizzes away to nothing. Only a few lace spots remain. The aroma is big, fruity sweet malts, and really lacks the complexity of a true saison. There's not really any detectable funk, and only the slightest note of barnyard. What I do get though is the peach that this was brewed with, as well as the occasional tea note. The flavour follows suit, and while its still decent, this isn't my kind of saison, and not a direction I would want the style to go in. Sweet peachy notes dominate throughout, mixing with a touch of pepper and clove, and a slight wheat tanginess. Its way too estery, overly sweet and devoid of complexity for me to say this is anything more than mediocre. Medium, sticky body has me a bit meh. Certainly not refreshing.

I hate giving a bad score to my favourite style, and this isn't all that bad a beer, but as a saison this is crap.

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

Procured at Vintage Estate & poured into a stemmed tulip.

Pours a rich, transparent yellow-gold with two fingers of frothy white head & plenty of fast, strong nucleation. Head drops to a spattering & a thick collar.

Smell is interesting, somewhere between Riesling & dry apple cider, with some floral & honey notes in there. Good stuff, but I feel like it would reach saturation pretty quickly.

Ew, boy. Taste is kind of a mess. Starts with some light malt, honey, white grape flavors, soon gets an apple skin kind of dryness & gains in booze WAY too quickly, ending dry, hot, & kind of sickening. Seriously, this tastes medicinal. Too bad, I had higher hopes.

Mouthfeel is moderately full with some effervescence, which is nice. Then it ends too dry & hot, kind of a turn-off.

Man, this started off strong & turned ugly, way too much alcohol taste for a 7.69% beer. That said, there were some interesting things going on here, & outside of sours, this might be the most vinous beer I've had, which is interesting in & of itself. But yeah, this is literally a hot mess.

2.81/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Hazy gold, shining like a flashlight from beneath the glass, glowing from its base. A narrow lip of white head wraps the outer edge and thinly covers the top.

Acidic from the start, with citrus and yeast being the most apparent. The sweet tang of peaches is there as well - almost too much. Reminiscent of other acidic liquids - like stomach acid.

Lemons and other citrus are highlights, underscored by a floral bitterness - guessing that's the jasmine. Honey sweetness and yeasty to close.

Biting carbonation blows up in the mouth at the swallow, bringing with it a sweet and bitter close, which slowly fades, drying the mouth as it does.

Off-putting from the outset, but after awhile it is a beer that begins to grow on you. Unfortunately, there is not enough beer in that bottle for me to like it very much. Love the experiment, not the end result.

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange color. At first a two finger white head forms, but recedes to nothing. No lace to speak of.
S: A very odd sulfur aroma hits me first that really detracts for me. After that, some sweet malt. Citrus fruits as well.
T: Sweet malt and fruity. Not much is here. The sulfur character is pretty much gone.
M/D: A medium body a carbonation. A good creaminess. For being 8% this drinks pretty smooth. Though I can't say that I really want to keep coming back for more.

This did not really do it for me. There is not a lot going on, and the sulfur is really annoying. Not one of Avery's better offerings. I would not recommend this.

2.91/5  rDev -23.6%

A - Hazy straw-like, turns more a rich golden hue as the beer warms. Head is thin, white creamy.

S - Black pepper spice, lively carbonation, bannana, orange zest, bittering floral hops.

D/T - Jasmine, young peaches, very little tartness. The carbonation slightly overpowers the floral and more complex notes that could have made the beer a better representation of saison. This would be good with fresh fruit or an heirloom tomato salad.

Poured out of a bomber bottle into a tasting glass. Served cool but not cold.

A-very clear yellow body and a nice fluffy white head.

S-yeasty, clove and slight veggie smell

T-spicey, hard candy middle, metallic aftertaste.

M-light, well carbonated.

D-okay, there are such better representations or this style out there. Might pass if given limited options.

Bottled in 2009. This is probably 3 years past it's prime. It kind of tastes like apple juice. Low carb, not bad by any means, but tasting kind of old.

A: It pours a honeydew sort of hue, like a yellowish green, with pretty lively carbonation and about a finger's worth of head.

S: I did get some honey and floral notes, but definitely not a jasmine or peach smell. It has a sweet, light, and tart smell.

T: Honestly, I was let down a bit because I was looking forward to something heavy in either honey, jasmine, or peach, and if I did get any of those notes, they were subtle in the utmost. I didn't really get any jasmine, either in smell or taste, a small touch of peach tartness in taste, and I wish the honey was as present as, say, Chateau Jiahu by dogfish head.

M: Light, thin, fizzy, has a very summer ale, champagneish mouthfeel.

O: It wasn't bad, definitely drinkable, and if you're into lighter tasting beers, this will be something to consider. However, I won't be grabbing for this one again. Usually, when a beer lists ingredients, I want those ingredients in spades, and if I don't get them, I'm usually disappointed.

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

a- light white one finger head that reduced to nearly no retention and good carbonation. A very cloudy light yellow.

s- bad, i cant peg it really, it is kind of like old hops and the tannins, not fun to smell at all.

t- light wheaty dry with some esters.
barely can tell much about the jasmine or peaches' qualities. A light honey finish

m- light and bubbly, kind of weird bitter finish from the jasmine.

d- some how this was heavy to get down, it took me awhile, there is still a little heat from the abv.

One to try and especially after a few months to see if it improves.

3.11/5  rDev -18.4%

After the initial pour of golden yellow, with a foamy white head that left some Brussels lace - the next biggie was the sniff !!

Good grief, yah this is a Saison, not a wild ale = but this one is total musty farm blanket. Quaff has the butt load of blanket too, with only some subtle hints of fruity goodness. Even the apple in here seems to be rotten.

I don't mind wild ales, in fact will enjoy them if forewarned, but don't label them as a Saison.

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into Ommegang chalice with a mild pffft of the cap. Jasmine, peach and honey, they say...

Very pale...like white grapefruit juice and maybe a little straw. But there's a decent ½ - 2/3 finger of head that drops pretty quickly but half of it sticks around. There's a lot of active carbonation here...after a while there are a fair amount of yeasty wisps up top. It's a little translucent but not hazy - the glare from the lighting in the house isn't helping, either...but that's irrelevant.

Definitely honey, and some kind of flower - I guess it's the jasmine. Sort of a cross between gardenia and chamomile. A faint hint of peach essence. Yeast electricity is there, as is a bit of austere, light grains. Hop profile is pretty latent and nondescript.

At first there's a little metallic bite - after this goes away (quickly), there's a nice carbonation bite that works in sync with the jasmine, the significant dryness and the peach essence...along with a fair amount of honey. Hop bite comes around a little bit - Styrian Goldings, maybe? Yeast electricity does its job, as does a little light Belgian candi sugar. Solid if not spectacular without the peculiar adjuncts, but I gotta be honest - they mess this one up quite a bit.

Palate feel is, as mentioned before, a little dry and tinny. Not a huge fan of the jasmine. Or the peaches. In this case, not even the honey. It's well-constructed but personally I could do without a lot of sweetness in a Saison...just a bit of candi sugar and go on with yo' bad seff. Yeast electricity dries it up nicely with a little Styrian Goldngs hop pine. Finish benefits from the carbonation, which fortunately cuts through the sweetness.

Given the ingredients this is definitely well-constructed, but I don't dig the extra-sweet and floral adjuncts in here. It drinks a bit on the light side even with the sweetness, so I imagine if you took all that stuff out you'd have a pretty damn good Saison.

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

Thanks to whoever I got this one from. I know I didn't buy it.

Poured a 22oz foiled bomber into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a light straw yellow with a massive 4 inch, pancake batter thick, cream head that left some serious lacing down the sides of the glass. Reminded me of looking through Lorraine Swiss cheese. Really a beautiful beer. The aroma is like a dirty slap in the face. Dirty mushrooms, Bretty earthiness, grass and just a hint of peach. The nose really has some dominant aromas in it. I'm surprised that they work so well together. I was really looking forward to the flavor of the beer because of the appearance and aroma but man, this beer is just to "Earthy" for me. Huge barnyard earthiness, a bit of ammonia, grass, and a medical aspirin bitterness. Just a bit of peach and honey come through at the very tail of the flavor profile. As much as I love what Brett can do to a beer, this is just a bit too much. Reading the label, it makes me wonder what the "Special Belgian Yeast" is. Its just a bit too much for me. The mouthfeel finished just a little too sweet. I would rather have it finish very dry. I just don't understand Avery. They try so hard to go above and beyond standard brewing processes but so many of their beers just fall flat.

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%

Nice yellow color with a decent amount of bubbles. The smell was honey, flowers, jasmine, and yes peaches. The flavor leaned more towards honey, pepper, spice, and there was the slightest hint of peaches in the taste but nothing really wowed me. Mouthfeel was just fine but the drinkability was just average as the potpourri aspect of the beer really started to wear on me about 3/4 of the way through the bottle and I couldn;t finish the last few ounces.

3.22/5  rDev -15.5%

This beer confuses me. Listed (here) as a saison/farmhouse ale, I just don't see it. Keep in mind, it could be me.

Flat looking pour at Falling Rock, minimal head, if any. Hazy, pale yellow/gold body. Looks like a dirty Chardonnay. No richness to it.
Aroma. Yeah, I just don't get the farmhouse. This reminds of the Cantillon Gueze. Sour and musky. Some soft fruit in there; apricot, peach, green plum.

Feels a bit flat and sour. I don't get much, if any, yeasty esters, malt or lightness. I hope this is just a bad pour and will try again from the bottle.
I hope this ages well. It's not bad, but I would say it's not in the correct style.

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

I love Avery's Anniversary beers - many great memories - from big hoppy dark beers to a rpevious saison.

Pour is very hazy light yellow to golden. Big white - belgian head. Nose is wheat, yeast.

First impression is a wit beer. Some yeast, light and dry. Yeast is a bit understated for a saison.

Is this really an Avery Anniversary - nothing particularly defining - picking up some of the fruit and spice - some alcohol warmth, but overall, sorry lacks refinement.

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours(near room temp and vigorous pour) a hazy straw gold with a 1 finger head of ..err...1"...err...now just a ring around the glass. Wow, I didn't expect the foam to act the way it did.

The smell is of weird spices? must be the jasmine... and some honey notes and a note that tells me there should should be some tartness involved with the flavour. Really, there's not much to like here.

The taste has a decent amount of honey-like sweetness, some spiciness...the jasmine doesn't taste all that bad compared to what it added to the smell, some pepper, and a little bit of tartness. A very strange brew both smell and taste wise. I guerss I am tasting some peach but it's pretty muted. The alcohol gives me some warming after the swallow.

Light bodied with more carbonation in the mouth than what I see in the glass would suggest. It looks flat but it ain't.

Drinkability? It seems I'm getting used to the flavours here after the initial "shock" so....it's not a bad sipper. The second pour saw the same results with the foam but the taste a slightly bigger presence of the tart factor. A good thing in my book.

Bottom line: This is a very different Saison to say the least. My first impression was "no way I'm going to finish this" but things changed as the session went on. Still, it's not up to what I expect from the style and in that way, was disappointed. I guess Avery was thinking outside the box when they brewed this one....

3.24/5  rDev -15%

Poured into a snifter pours a hazy yellow with a foamy head no lace detected. This has that classic Saison smell, very clove and alcohol in the nose with outdoor freshness. Taste was a bit of a mess, this had a herbal quality to it, the peaches I coudn't really taste. This reminded me of a bad alcohol medicine that went wrong. Heavy carbonation, as this warms it seems to get a bit better though, to much of a herb taste for my liking. Overall a very different beer and one that I didn't enjoy.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

Slighly blurry golden straw colored with streams of carbonation feeding a dwindling white cap. It eventually lingers as a collar and leaves moderate lacing.
The nose is mostly wheat cracker dryness, with yeast driven allspice, clove, and pepper. Some underlying fruitness arrives, in vague kiwi, honeydew, and orange rind tones, and equally vague florality.
It's hits the mouth predominantly wheaty. Had I tasted it blind, my first guess would have been witbier. The yeast adds a bit of pepper, and a substrata of chalky, leathery dryness. Fruitiness picks up later and lower than expected, and carries only traces of melon and lemon zest. Honey shows up in a paradoxically drying way, then mingles with a low-level floral bitterness.
Charged-up and gassy right away, the body settles out over time, leaving a medium bodied, flaccid, but fairly drinkable glass of beer.
I wanted quite a bit more out of this. There is nothing concretely bad here, but nothing that specifically says "Saison" either, as the listed ingredients fail to show through the curtain of wheaty dullness.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

A bit cloudy for a saison, this aint a player but it crushes a lot.

Smells like pork?! Some sweet floral notes, but a little off. My name is mud.

Tastes just ok. Maybe that Rodenbach Grand Cru is affecting my taste buds... but spicy, peppery, crisp, like the mini buffalo ranch, chicken sandwich.

Not a bad beer, but not good. If you like Avery and must try it, do it, if not, there are other beers out there.

Avery Anniversary Ale - Sixteen from Avery Brewing Company