Sui Generis - Avery Brewing Company

American Wild Ale |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: Oxymoron on 09-10-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this one from Schmittymack, cheers Dan!

Pours an effervescent orange/caramel with 3 fingers of rocky tan head. Great head retention & tons of ivory flecked lacing dot the the glass

S: Barnyard funk & plenty of horse blanket, sour apples; fades a bit once warm, not too much

T: Tart & twangy with apples, raspberry vinaigrette & sour cherries up front. Oaky dryness, sourness & tartness dominate as this warms, along with leather & raspberries, a little booze lingers around the edge, actually benefits the flavor profile. I also pick up some figgy & Bing cherry sweetness right on the edges, sneaking by the sourness every once in a while, plus big-time port notes. Finishes puckery dry & tart with with some nice cherry sweetness balancing it out & a whisper of booze

MF: Medium bodied with slight carbonation & so puckery

Drinks very easy for the style & ABV. I appreciate the smaller size too, 750 ml of sour sometime overwhelms me, are you listening Russian River??? Almost on a par with RR IMO, well done Avery! (1,025 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Quite a special beer when you realize the time and thought that went into it. The second of Avery's barrel aged series, it is a blend of beers aged in cabernet, chardonnay, port, and bourbon barrels. They also used brettanomyces, lactobacillus, and pediococcus yeasts.

Bottled Sept. 18, 2009.

Served in a tulip glass, it pours a hazy redish copper color with a thin cap of head that settles quickly to just a skim layer.

Aroma is full of sour cherries and apples, tart berries, and funky yeasts. Very complex and enjoyable.

Flavor is equallly impressive with intensity and depth rarely seen outside of Russian River's wild ales. Also amazing considering how recently it was bottled although there is no indication of how long it has aged.

Tart and sour fruits combine with the unique combination of barrels to create a surprisingly unified beer. The cab and chard wines are evident and to lesser extent the port and bourbon. I don't think I would have picked them all out without a hint from the label but such is the power of suggestion. Sweet, sour, tart, bitter... are there any taste buds that haven't been touched on the tongue?

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well-carbonated. Drinkability is good but I doubt I could handle more than one bottle in a sitting.

The only other beer I've had that even compares is Consecration. Both deliver amazing hits of flavor intensity and complexity. It's hard to say which I prefer without doing a side-by-side but I consider myself lucky to have tried them both alone.

Overall a great success and further proof of how talented the people at that brewery really are. (1,618 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%

Ditmier shared this a few nights ago.. 1" head.. the brew is a hazy lite amber... descent lace and cap.

Nose is surprisingly balanced.. I was expecting something alot more lactic or acetic.. but Wow.. cherry skin.. apple cider.... woody elements that remind me of cedar.. some very minor vanilla.. funky and sour and definitely special.

Flavor is fantastic.. dry sour cherry juice combines with green apple skin.. oakey and tannic.. leathery ... dry cabernet comes to mind but is blow out by the great wild notes.. no alcohol to even remotely bring up... as it warms I get hints of oakey chardonnay (I typically don't like appreciate chardonnays, but this is nice.) grape skins.... tart and dry underripe pineapple?? vanilla shows more as it warms up.... Digging this one sooo much.

Brabant was very good ... I had Voltron a few times in Denver and was blown away.. Voltron had more berry/cherry essence and was sweeter but was amazing .... But this is a proper American sour done soo well... very balanced and is pretty magnificent... Worthy of the hype.

I need to try this one again soon!!! (1,096 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a rich woody brown with a creamy beige head. Excellent lacing around the glass.

Nose has tart cherries, barnyard funk, oak, chardonnay, cabernet, toffee, vanilla, and bourbon.

Taste has sour pitted fruits, musty funk, oak, red and white wine grapes, dark caramelized candies and a hint of whiskey.

Medium body has a crisp yet delicate carbonation. Nice dry finish.

Another well done sour from Avery. Not as good as some of their other blends, but still quite tasty. (477 characters)

12oz bottle shared by a friend so I got a good six ounces of this stuff. The first smell was funky but delicious, sour fruits all over the place. The color was a cloudy dark orange. The flavor was more fruitiness, brett funk, not much sour but enough, really impressive. The more I think about this, the more I'd like to buy some! (330 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

So my fiancee surprised me last time I visited her in Colorado by picking me up at the airport with some Sui Generis in the back of her RAV 4. She doesn't even like beer, but simply put, that's love.

What can I say: it's an elegantly made beer - very delicate in its flavor. Reminds me more of a Sonoma Chardonnay then any beer I've had. Sour, but not offputting. Floral, but intriguing. It smells like wine and drinks like lambic. This will be one of those beers that will be distinctly personal in its appreciation, so the best I can do is say that it entices the oenophil and zymurgist in me at the same time. (614 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Poured out a very clear, caramel color with a small, thin, white head. It left soapy residue on the glass.

S - It smelled funky and sour, mostly apples and pears. A really nice aroma.

T - This was one of the most amazing sours that I've ever had. The tart sour flavor was really smooth. Sometimes a sour beer can be a little offensive, that's not the case with this one.

M - It was very sharp on the tongue. A crisp, medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a great sour beer. I don't know if I've said that enough times. Great, great brew. (539 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Sui Generis meaning constituting a class of its own; unique.
This beer was made by mixing 10 different aged beers into one very tasty one. " Sui Generis is a truly unique ale fermented with brettanomyces, lactobacillus and pediococcus...yielding a beautifully intricate sour ale". 39% ale aged in cabernet sauvignon barrels, 35% ale aged in chardonnay barrels, 13% ale aged in port barrels, 13% ale aged in bourbon barrels. 10.2 % Alc.

Appearance: translucent golden amber with a pale white head that recedes as it warms. Real nice lacing

Smell: Sour green apple, peaches, grassy. Makes my mouth water getting ready for the pucker like a sweet tart

Taste: Just like the smell but there is almost no pucker at all. fills my mouth with huge flavor and then some how turns delicate and disappears with a very clean finish. There's no bitter beer face or dry mouth with this. I can't exactly taste the port or bourbon barrel but can only assume the sweetness from those ales even out the acidity.

Drinkability: I usually take 30 min to an hour to drink a sour beer even with food to pair but I couldn't put this beer down. I wanted to savor it more but my sips kept getting bigger. with only 147 cases made I'm glad i bought more than one (1,239 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Got this at the release party at Avery, and managed to get 6 bottles signed by Adam.
Light copper/amber appearence, white head with good lacing, sour smells of green apple, oak, and melon?, taste is first medium sour, then oaky, followed with a bit more tartness then a great clean finish. Slight hints of vanilla and grassy tones. There is alot going on with this beer!! Overall a great sour beer. (399 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Went to the release for this. According to Adam Avery, it's a blend of ten different beers, aged in four different kinds of barrels - cabernet, port, chardonnay, and bourbon. Pours apple cider with a half inch white head. All sorts of stuff going on in the taste and smell here and I'm sure I'll just hit the tip of the iceberg. Quite tart, not a lot of funk, highly acidic, a tad of vinager, green apple, not very dry. Body is medium, slightly astringent, with high carbonation. As this warms, it gets sweeter. Overall, quite a delicious beer. Having tasted this and a couple of the one-off sours at the Avery Tap Room this week, I'm impressed with what they're doing and look forward to future sour releases from Avery. (721 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last