DuganA IPA - Avery Brewing Company

DuganA IPADuganA IPA

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: GarrisWH on 10-06-2009

Released twice annually in January and again in September.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of DuganA IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 602 | Hads: 1,582
4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

This IPA is the standard by which I judge all others. Not excessively hopped and true to its heredity, it offers a perfect balance between full body and rounded, clean flavor that is very pleasurable to drink and thirst-quenching. In my opinion, the perfect flavorful brew for hot weather. It doesn't get any better than this as an IPA, and stand's up well against any other ale as well. In fact, any time I had this available for friends, they'll drink me out DuganA before drinking any other. (494 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Oh my God, what a smell - smells like heaven. And the flavor is not far behind.

Pours a beautiful clear golden with a fluffy head that leaves great lacing.

The aroma is heart stopping - sweet, citrusy, and delicate yet assertive. It's like sniffing a musky hop candy.

The flavor follows through perfectly, with sweet, floral, citrusy, candy-like hops.

This beer is to hops what high quality candied ginger is to ginger.

Beware, however, because it packs a strong alcoholic punch, and if you can recover from the delirious blast of hops, you will feel that boozy warmth behind the flavor.

The mouthfeel is thin with a strong bite of carbonation.

This beer is as close to perfect as I can imagine. If I had to think of one criticism it might be that the alcohol burn is a little stronger than it should be. And yet even that may not be a fault, just in the way that sometimes the perfect accent to a good candy is a grain of salt. (935 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

What a perfect example of a Classic Big IPA. Tons of hops and that earthy piney smell and taste that you want when drinking this style of beer. Well-balanced with hints of citrus and floral, this beer is one to be enjoyed by itself or with any pungent cheeses that can combat with the strong flavor. One of my favorite IPA's. Russian River's Pliny the Elder, Firestone's Double Jack, Drake's Hopocalypse and Ballast Point Sculpin are close runner-ups but this is the top. (471 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +17.9%

Very citrus hop smell, tiny bit harsh. Smells like a top shelf: perrfect, drinkable, lively IPA. Thought of Mojo Risin first, but cleaner. Smells of big hops..citrus../piney? (blend?) awesome. Tastes (more smell) some ethanol, not hot (other alcohols) though, just big alcohol, at 8.5 abv. Completely balanced in the taste though. Big IPA. but, not over the top (>100+IBU) but right where it should be (opinion 80-105 IBU)..I guessed 100! (it's actually 93) Very citrus, some sweet, straight west coast, all very balanced. Bright flavor. Hops (guessing:) Simcoe, cascade, centennial (could be wrong on any account w/ exact hops) Basic orange color... but special. Bright, clear, evervescant. Mohagany/red notes. Incredible head retention. Basically, a very solid, tasty, citrus, kick-ass, big 'merican IPA. I bought 4 bombers, and it surely isn't enough. Another solid(+)/awesome beer from Avery. Thanks, Adam!

_Hrvstr
;|-)

Happy Thanksgiving.

(Drink good beer (time and a place for all beer..but drink awesome always!!), don't rate much, here's the first post..ever! I'd say the beer inspired me to do it!! ...Majaraja (another avery solid), Hop Stoopid, Mojo (and 'Risin), Hoperandus moderali (ska), Ska Decadence (!) Pliney, (both or 'em), blind pig, Dogfish..., are all right there(good job everyone), to be classified with Dugana..good luck, good adventures ;) drink good beer (good ppl..hunter..etc... (1,414 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Bright clear copper with tangerine highlights. Big beige-tinted foamy head that leaves a mountainous solid sheet of lace.

Intense juicy citrus - grapefruit and tangerine, spicy floral, and resinous dank pine and ganja. A slightly sweet toasty caramel malt in the background.

Juicy citrus up front - ruby grapefruit and tangerine, spicy resinous pine and ganja come through next. A bready biscuity lightly toasted caramel malt character that holds up the hops. A biting resinous dank bitterness is left on the palette, creating desire for another sip, and another.

Sticky, mouth coating, resinous, drying, smooth, medium body. Slow steady carbonation. very fresh and refreshing.

Love it, super hoppy, complex hop bouquet, drinks smooth and juicy and bitter and refreshing. I hope they distribute this more out here in Seattle, I will be a frequent buyer. Also had on tap at their tasting room. New addition to my top 10 DIPAs, perhaps top 5. (944 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Grabbed this one on Kane at Roof Brother's in Paducah's suggestions and I'm owing him big time for this one... I had never heard of this one and he saw that I'm a hophead and grabs this one off of the shelf and says, " You GOTTA try this one.." Boy, am I glad he did...

Into a Duvel tulip...

Pours an absolutely beautiful glowing golden with an ever present fluffy eggshell head.. Laces all the way down my tulip during the session as well.. This really looks like a terrific beer in the glass..

I'm getting a surprisingly muted aroma of oily hops and a sweet maltiness here at first but as this brew warms, the hops explode out of this one and invade my senses... It's what I would imagine standing in a fresh green hop field would smell like.. It's earthy yet uber hoppy and oily and resiny.... Not getting any booze at all in the aroma here which leads me to believe that this one could be dangerous....

Oh man.... This is truly delicious.... Beautifully delicious oily piney and citrusy hops are definitely the star of this show....They are overpowering in every way which is just how I like my DIPAs... Hoppy and oily and totally one dimensional... There's this citrusy pineappley like hoppiness here that I only find in the truly elites of the style such as Dreadnaught or Pliny the Elder... I'm so stoked about getting to try this one and yet pissed that I didn't buy more... No booze evident in this one at all either... If I had more than one bomber of this one, I'd be in big trouble...

I have to say that this is one of the best DIPAs that I've ever had the privilege to try... It's got everything I look for in an Imperial IPA with overwhelming one-sided hoppiness and not a lot of booziness that you get with many others... It's truly a world class brew in my opinion.. Well done Avery and another thanks and props to Kane... (1,844 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +17.2%

I had this on tap at Bruery Provisions in Orange, Ca. Poured a copper orange with loose lacing and not much of a head.

On the nose there was a LOT of barnyard, feet, armpit, Bret smelling. There was more barnyard in this one than other IPA's I've had that were purposefully inoculated with Brettanomyces. It gave it a depth that I really liked. Musky with some pine of course.

Taste was more barnyard, followed by barnyard dirt, musky, pine. I really enjoyed this beer as there were many layers to peel back. My only complaint was there was a little too much carbonation (573 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into snifter from bomber.

A: Light amber color. Head quickly recedes. Some lacing.

S: Pineapple and sweet dough, medium-intensity smell.

T: Awesome, the pineapple generalizes to an understated citrus, hop kick is then everpresent, nice, sharp earthiness. I had to start eating my dinner salad early with this one, so I could enjoy each sip afresh.

M: Chunky without imposing, excellent dry finish.

D: Aftertaste lets you know it wants to stick around. 10 oz. goes too fast.. that's why man invented bombers. (521 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

APPEARANCE - Bright, copper colored and clear. Full head with excellent retention.

SMELL - Hop-forward and sweet citrus.

TASTE - Nice balance of hop and malt. Hoppy, but not overly. Mild sweetness with orange and grapefruit. Mild alcohol flavor. Floral.

MOUTHFEEL - Medium-thick, full and rich. Correctly carbonated.

OVERALL - Labeled IPA, but nearly a DIPA. Like a toned-down Maharaja, with less alcohol, less hops, less malt. This may be my favorite beer at the moment. Have had several times, both in the bottle and on tap. Preferred the bottle, but it could have been the glass choice (I’m not a big fan of the traditional pint glass). Perfectly balanced for this style.

One sitting was immediately following a Pliny the Elder. I prefer the DuganA. (759 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +16%

I absolutely love this beer. This is what dry-hopping is all about. This beer comes with a big floral and citrusy hop taste, aromatic freshness and just the right malt body. It's also a whopping 8.5%, though you certainly wouldn't know it.

I tried this at the fantastic Avery taproom, where each visit is a chance to try something new and fantastic. The boys do their job well, and don't slack at their craft. I sampled this along side of 2 of their other IPAs: the Maharaja (an excellent imperial) and a cask version of their standard IPA. Overall, this was my favorite with the Maharaja closely following. (608 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

22 ounce bottle poured into an oversized glass beer mug with a 1-1/2 inch thick head, bright color and outstanding aroma.

given a few moments to settle, the flavor is an IMMENSE and HUGE and citrus-like IPA.

the only weakness of the beer, in my opinion, is that the beer hangs on the tongue in a slightly oily way. (316 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

Typical DIPA appearance, with an ultra clear , pale golden body, and large and durable head consisting of rather gigantic bubbles. The smell of hops was apparent even before I tried to bring the glass close to my nose. The aroma was very piney and citric, as it should be for a DIPA. The taste was a showcase for the hops as the spicy, resinous, and citric qualities of the hops were apparent from the moment the beer passed the lips. The malts were in the background imparting a butterscotch hard candy like sweetness. The mouthfeel was very sticky and the resulting tongue coating made of a long lasting hop aftertaste. A hophead's wet dream, and the scantily clad Indian beauty on the label isn't half bad to look at either :) (729 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14.5%

This is my first Avery ever, I am thoroughly excited.
Poured into a tulip glass.

Crystal clear, golden orange. Much more clear than your usual IPA.

Sweet malt overshadowed by bitter grapefruit scent. Smells like a great West Coast IPA.

Taste is similar to the smell. Hops hit hard, but they hit right on the mark. Sweet, then dry west coast hops. Aftertaste of grapefruit lasts all night. Really amazing.

A little thin, but in my opinion does not take away from the beer, it just tastes too good.

Overall I think one of the best IPA's I've ever had. Right up there with Sculpin, a definite homerun. (604 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a Sam Adams pint.

A: Pours a hazy, golden orange color with one finger of off-white head. Good retention and great, sticky lace.

S: Peach, citrus and a bit of butter.

T: Spicy peach, some honey, touch of lavender, pine on the finish. Delicious. Herbal, minty sweetness lingers on the aftertaste, giving the hops something to balance with.

M: Medium-light body, well carbonated, and just a bit of oil.

O: Another fantastic beer from Avery. Tons of flavors, all of them good. Worth seeking out. (523 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip. I would have really liked to drink this one sooner, but real life and school got in the way of me enjoying a nice huge bottle of a DIPA.

Anyhow, on with the show. This one pours a very hazy orange color crested with one and a half fingers of head that retain and lace beautifully. Some larger floaties in here are apparent. The aroma is absolute hop perfection. Hops, hops and more hops on the nose, along with some nice citrus aspects. The taste is just downright dank and juicy. Nice, very oily and dank hops pair with juicy citrus. Just a bit of alcohol and malts make themselves known on the backend. It's straight-forward, but if it tastes this good it can be as straight-forward as it wants.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and fairly oily, the hops stick around for quite some time. The drinkability is just great, I want to drink this delicious nectar all night. The low-down here? Avery knows their double IPAs. This was just overall a great double IPA that doesn't get carried away with the booze. I really enjoyed both DuganA and Majaraha, and their releases are sure to be some of my most anticipated over the next few years. (1,197 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into an oversized wine glass. Beautiful label art as usual from Avery.

A golden orange body with a thick white seafoam head. Leaves a ton of lacing on the inside of the glass! A constant stream of bubbles comes up to the top from the bottom of the glass.

Immediate smells of oranges, papayas, grapefruit and dank pine!

Tastes of citrus fruits and a strong bitterness with a nice clean malty sweetness on the end. A decent dry finish, makes is hard not to gulp this down!f Abrasive without being overly aggressive.

Overall another great brew from Avery! A nicely crafted DIPA with a deep dankness but is sweet enough to be balanced on the palate. Will definitely seek this out again! If you like an aggressive DIPA this one is for you! (766 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

From the makers of one of the greatest double IPAs of all time, in my opinion (Ale to the Chief), and whose other double IPA, Maharaja, is nearly as mouth-wateringly awesome...it's hard not to have high hopes for DuganA (don't know what's up with the big A, but I'll play along...)

The haze screams "hop-haze" of course...the head is a modest but creamy thing that sticks around the whole time, and the color is a sunny rusty orange. Splashes of lace dot the glass. Mmm mmm.

Resiny and piney nose, in the absolute. Wow. Won't rip your nostril-hairs off, but might come close. Lemon rind and pineapple are strongly represented too.

Hops slather the tongue mercilessly...the resin and pine in the nose come to technicolor life on the tongue. Lemon peel, pineapple, mutant toffee, and spearmint too, all big, all magnificent. Grassy astringency in the finish, surprise surprise. Yet, somehow this is controlled...it's like Hopsickle wearing its Sunday best and acting as nice as it possibly can.

Creamy mouth, round, a little stick, also magnificent and just perfect for the flavors going on.

DuganA is nirvanA. You can't get a much hoppier beer that's as drinkable, although it still is probably more for hops veterans/geeks than newcomers. Avery totally does huge IPAs right, and that's probably an understatement. (1,319 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer poured a perfect hazy orange color into my Flying Fish tulip glass with a two finger pure white head. The head left crazy lacing on the glass. From just appearances alone, this looks like a beer I’m going to fall in love with. On the nose, I got definite citrus, specifically grapefruit with a hint of booze and spice. On the taste, the first thing I think is how freaking good this is. It’s been awhile since I’ve had a great DIPA and this really hits the spot. The taste had definite notes of grapefruit and pineapple with the booze really well hidden. The malt came through at the end with some caramel sweetness that is complemented by the high carbonation. The finish is all citrus and amazing. It wasn’t as sticky as I expected. A really smooth West Coast IPA. I would have this again in a second. This is exactly what I needed tonight. (860 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Hands down, one of my top favorite double IPAs. Had this on tap from the Tap Room in PB. Massive grapefruit and citrus/ pine in the nose. Taste was quick follow with the most appropriately balanced bitterness I've ever experienced. Two thumbs up for this beer, I will be most definitely seeking it out in the near future. (321 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured at basement temp in short glass

A: blonde orange, small head; not much carbonation or lacing
S: lovely floral, hoppy aroma
T: outstanding IPA, moves from grassy to grapefruity; very bitter, highly complex
M: silky, smooth

Outstanding! Would be superb with a steak. (273 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Purchased this 22 ounce bottle at Joe Canals in Lawrenceville NJ.

The beer pours a golden brown, almost caramel color. Vey nice head with great retention throughout the session. The aroma has notes of pine, citrus, and grapefruit.

The taste is not as bitter as I'd imagine it would be. Resinous pine, very dank, medium carbonation. Great flavor.

The body is all about the hops. The malt plays only the suportign role in this brew. Slight alcohol taste as the beer finishes, with a slight bitterness.

Extremely drinkable. No cottonmouth with this beer. Great IPA. (566 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +12.3%

Serving: Bomber into an ale glass.

A: Pours a cloudy, copper-yellow color. About a quarter inch of head on it that dissipatted pretty fast. Leaves quite a bit of lacing on the glass though.

S: Sweet, piney, resinous hops. I give this a 5/5 because I didn't even have to pick the glass up - the smell was strong enough to drift across the table.

T: The malts take a back seat to the hops on this one. And there is a LOT of hops in this one. Very bitter up front, with a slight malt sweetness in the background. Leaves a pretty bitter finish as well. Alcohol is not really that noticeable. Great.

M: Exceptionally strong, thick mouthfeel. It coats the entire mouth and stays there for a while. I don't usually notice mouthfeel too much, but this one really shines.

O: This is very, very good IPA. The amount of hops they managed to pack into this one, while keeping it balanced, is pretty impressive. (905 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in a recent trade with mmapes. Many thanks!

A 22oz bottle with no visible date. I'm still puzzling over the meaning of the name - I get the impression it relates to India but it's hard to tell. The label states that this contains 93 IBUs - clearly an intense brew!

Poured into a Duvel tulip (twice). A rich, hazy orange-amber hue with visible sediment and good carbonation. Produces a huge head of creamy white foam that hangs around for a while before reducing to a surface layer. An overwhelming hop aroma makes love to the olfactory senses - superb! Notes of grapefruit, orange, peel, citrus, pine, resin; a smorgasbord of hop notes to distract you. This is underpinned by a hint of caramel malt and dry yeast - understated but enough to provide balance. The alcohol is well hidden. Fantastic!

Tastes of intense aromatic hops with a spicy, fruity character and a bone-dry bitterness on the finish. Notes of pine, resin, grapefruit, orange peel, citrus, subtle caramel and a hint of earthy yeast. Slightly sweet, with a hint of brown sugar in the background. Very dry and exceptionally bitter. Mouthfeel is smooth, tingly and unusually spicy - the sensation on my tongue reminds me of a good chilli. Full-bodied and nicely carbonated. Highly astringent - dries the palate thoroughly. A powerful aftertaste of bitter aromatic hops.

Wow - what a brew. The perfect balance of hops, bitterness and malt is something that US brewers do so well - if only there were more beers like this over here. A truly magical experience; I can't praise this beer enough. If you are lucky enough to have a chance to try this, don't pass it up. Superb. (1,647 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My goodness, is it possible for this beer to be even sexier than the Eastern Goddess depicted on the wonderfully artistic label? Short answer-YUP. And here's why...This brew simply explodes out of the glass. Honestly, from a good 2 feet away I can clearly pick up juicy, candied grapefruit and tangerine rinds on a bed of sticky, wet, dank grass. And buddy, that is a heavenly scent for any lupulin-lover. Come on AXE, make a body spray that even comes close to this and you will have yourselves a whole new market open up. That juicy, dank goodness percieved by the nose faithfully carries over to the tongue which is simply not ready to wrap itself around the multitude of orgasmic flavor components presented by the first sip. WHAMMY! It is simply a rush of pungent, resinous, citrusy ninja warriors that race through your mouth, tossing ninja-stars of bitterness at your teeth, gums and tongue. But then the Yakuza show up and lay waste with thier malt-spewing submachine guns; about 30 rounds per second if I had to guess. What a riot! BUt almost as quickly as it starts, it is finished, with both parties slipping back into the shadows with suprising grace and nobility. If that poorly structured metaphoric scene didn't make much sense, here is the utilitarian translation: this is a magnificant beer that is brimming with everything an IPA drinker could want while remaining incredibly drinkable pint after pint. I should know, it is on-tap right now in my kegerator. Yeah, I ain't going to be too productive this week. Thank you again and again Avery, and please keep this beer in your portfolio. (1,605 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep yellow to a light orage with a white head. gorgeous looking beer
S: It's a literal orgy of hop aromas with pine and citrus, a bit herbal, there's also some pineappley smells and all around sweetness as well.
T: Delicious hoppyness with pine dominating with a hint of citrus, some herbal qualities toward the back end and pineapple flavor hitting on the swallow. The malt never shines through but keeps everything in check.
M: very smooth and silky carbonation isn't overpowering or too light
O: One of my favorite Double IPAs that I look forward to the release of twice a year. It saddens me that they no longer distribute to my home state and my current state of residence so I'm not sure how I'll acquire it in the future. (732 characters)

DuganA IPA from Avery Brewing Company