Tweak | Avery Brewing Company

TweakTweak

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Formerly known as Meph Addict and Coffeestopholes.

Tweak is Avery Mephistopheles Imperial Stout, with a chunk of coffee thrown in. If you haven’t geeked out enough, the brewery aged in four months in bourbon barrels.

Added by rye726 on 02-18-2010

Reviews: 229 | Ratings: 1,839

Easily one of Avery's best creations...the flavor, the smell, the potency. Holds up nice to even some strong cigars. Definitely a sipping beer, better the warmer it gets. Only complaint is it's tough to get a hold of some! Avery needs to distribute more!

Poured into 3 oz glass.
Pours black as night with dark brown head, looks like melted chocolate.
Smeels like a strong espresso, chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel, so much going on.
Tastes amazing, strong coffee, espresso, toffee caramel from the nose, just a bit hot but hides it so well.
Nice creamy thick mouthfeel, as good as it gets.
Overall, this is as close to perfect as it gets. Fbs, bcbcs, kbs, bomb, none of them come close. Hands down my favorite coffee stout so far, blows them all away!

EDIT: this is a review for the non-ba tweak.

I had this at Stone's 14th Anniversary Celebration 8/21/10. A big pour into a taster glass.

A-Wow that's dark! Very dark head of tight bubbles that receeds quickly.

S-It screams coffee, but in a good way. I love good coffee and wish I could get more of this.

T-Coffee! big surprise there. Not harsh though light and flavorful a little alcohol but you'd never think it was 16%.

M-Luscious! Some stout's have a harshness to them that's off putting but this does not. It's smooth, definitely full bodied but well carbonated so it goes down easy.

D-I thought this was the regular Mephistopheles so I only got 1 taster thinking I could get more bottles. I should have sipped on a few more of these it was REALLY good!

Had it two years at EBF now.
Dark, thick, rich, and bam! Espresso!
Perfect silky mouthfeel. Unbeatable flavor.
This is their Mephistopheles Stout, coffeed.
If you like stout and you like porter, this is for you!
Best beer, hands down, at EBF Boston! Bottle this and sell it, Avery, please!

One of the best beers I ever tasted. Had it on-tap during GABF at Falling Rock.

Avery went all out on this one. Scramjet black, thin lacing around the head.

The coffee and almost chocolately smell overwhelms you, even when the glass is two feet from you.

The taste packs a whallop (along with the insane ABV) of espresso like blackness and it is sublimely smooth.

I could swirl and sip on one of these for hours, the complexity they baked into it is amazing.

I really hope they bottle this one someday, it is truly exceptional.

Had on draft at Rustico Alexandria in a snifter.

A-Pours a black opaque with a 1 1/2 finger tan head. Great lacing

S-Great aromas of coffee, chocolate, bourbon, and notes of vanilla.

T-Taste is just like the aromas. Simply amazing.

M-Mouthfeel is very very well balanced.

O-Overall this beer is excellent in all aspects. The 17.8 ABV is well hiddened. I would love to get a bottle to age to see how it would be, I could only imagine.

4.98/5  rDev +12.9%

I'm not worthy!

Bought six of these in October and figured I'd have one every 3-6 months or so. I'm not sure I'll have one left after 2 months.

Guess I'm a Meph Addict.

4.96/5  rDev +12.5%

In the glass, the beer looks almost pitch black, save for a faint dark brown at the very bottom. The head was creamy and light brown when initially poured. It died fast, as was expected, but a thin half finger or so stuck around far long than expected, and leaves sheets of creamy brown lacing down the sides of the glass.
The aroma is sweet, complex, and bourbon-forward. Explosions of butterscotch, vanilla, brown sugar, milk chocolate, toasted coconut, coffee cake, caramel, oak, and bourbon tear into the nostrils and immediately invite you in.
This beer tastes like candy upfront. Butterscotch, caramel, milk chocolate and toffee spread their sticky-sweet goodness over the palate. Next, the sweetness is balanced out by a bitter cocoa note, oak tannins, espresso roastiness, mocha, and burnt toast. On the finish, the bourbon takes the palate by force--although it still remains surprisingly smooth--smacking you upside the head with burnt sugar, toasted coconut, and vanilla extract notes. The retro-exhale burns the nostrils with a hot chili-like fervency. The aftertaste is fairly clean with a light caramel, butterscotch, and milk chocolate lingering sweetness.
The mouthfeel is oily, smooth, and creamy. Not quite as slippery smooth as BCBS, but close.

This is absurdly good. It's just about as good as BCBS. This is a world-class BBA stout.

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured 12oz bottle into chalice. Vintage 2016. It is obsidian black with a 2 finger tan head. Gorgeous lacing coats the glass and there is a thin collar. This aroma is divine with coffee, dark chocolate covered espresso beans, and caramel. Big on the bourbon, vanilla, with hints of marshmallow and molasses. Flavor is dominant espresso, cappuccino, and coffee with a huge dark chocolate taste. Bourbon, vanilla, caramel, molasses, and some roasted marshmallow. It's a slow sipper since there isn't a way to hide that 17% ABV. Smooth, rich, velvety and decadent. Carbonation is superb and really adds to the feel. This is awesome and reminds me of 2013 BCBCS. Looks like I'll be buying a bottle each time it is out even at $10.

4.94/5  rDev +12%

I can't believe I actually am getting a chance to try. Actually at the brewery and paid $5 for a 5 ounce draft. My wife took off with it and I just got a so so here it goes. The bourbon up front and center. Smell and taste is awesome. Pours thick with an awesome nutty head. Taste...as good as bcbs. Going to stop and get back to drink.

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Pitch black bourbon barrel coffee yummnes. Seriously a top 5 instant brew for me. If you don't like bourbon forward brews this is not for you. It smacks you in the face instantly with coffee, then a slight vanilla, followed by the heat of this big brew. I must try for any coffee or bourbon barrel fan!

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

On tap at Vine Street for Stout Month 2012. Re-post from my review of "Coffeestopheles" which is what Mountain Sun referred to the beer as, which is irritating because they specifially told me they were two different beers, turns out they just didn't like the name "Meph Addict"? Weak...Anyhow onto the review: They only allow a 4oz pour, arrived in a tiny wine glass that reminded me of a cordial offering. The beer is black, deep black, deep dark brown edges in light but this thing is dark. A decent dark brown head with good retention and excellent lacing. Looks impressive. The nose is rich in character with a ton going on: roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, oak, vanilla, and a hint of nuts. Hides the higher abv well. Perhaps a slight heat detectable but not much at all. Flavor explosion on the palette....wow. Big coffee tones begin as the rich flavors found in the nose come through. the chocolate and oak flavors provide an extremely well balanced beer. Mildly bitter. Hints of nut and raisin. I would never guess this was such a strong beer. Finishes clean and crisp and delicious. I've never had a coffee stout this good before. Amazing. Full bodied and reasonably carbonated. Overall, this beer is phenomenal. I really want another. Extremely highly recommended.

4.91/5  rDev +11.3%

Batch 2, bottles 1/25/16. Pours dark mahogany/espresso from 12oz bottle. Small tan head that disappears quickly and leaves no lacing.

Aroma is somewhat muted and really hard to pick out. Its definitely sweet - and my wife pins it as butterscotch - but its hard to isolate. Surprisingly, I don't get a lot of coffee or bourbon.

Okay, taste... There's so much going on and I feel unqualified to break this down, but here it goes. Its very sweet, I've had the mephistopheles and it was nothing like this. Whatever coffee and barrels they used for aging, I want them. Its absolutely delicious. Definitely some caramel and butterscotch on the front end, boozy bourbon show up later.

The body is nice and chewy, and I enjoy the developing flavors so much I have a hard time swallowing.

Overall, this is definitely one of the most unique, complex stouts I've had the pleasure of tasting, and its going to be really, really hard to let the rest of these bottles age in the cellar.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Man this is better than BCBS. I don't give a shit about what people say this beer has more booze and less of an an alcohol taste!

Appearance: Black as night, aggressive pour gives you a decent amount of head.

Aroma: Boozy but not as bad as other beers, it actually smells like a beer should. Some booze in the aroma but more chocolate, coffee and malts. Smells like a regular BA imperial stout!

Taste: Not too boozy really for what it is, coffee, chocolate and some roasted malts are prominent. But the booze is not all that strong surprisingly. Thus far this is one of the better BA stouts I have had!

Overall: Nice beer. I totally enjoyed this one!

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on 1/25/16, poured into a Dogfish Head snifter L: pitch black with coffee colored hues, amazing head and lacing for a 17.5% ABV beer, strong alcohol legs A: flawless scent. coffee, chocolate, alcohol, malts T: dark chocolate malts, roasted coffee, appropriate alcohol flavor, heaven M: medium, velvet, slightly carbonated O: the only negative thing I can say about this beer is that there was a one bottle limit where I purchased it.

4.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Batch No.1 - Bottled on October 28, 2014

Almost black. Smooth but potent bourbon notes in the nose. The flavor profile includes a healthy dose of roasted malt and coffee with a sweet finish. The various flavors blend together so well.

The alcohol warmth on the finish gets to the edge of intrusive but it is not nearly harsh enough to ruin an exquisite drinking experience.

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%

2014 reserve, served in a Speigelau Stout Glass

Look: This is one of the best looking beers I've ever seen, with a gorgeous dark brown head that dissipates quickly leaving a river of hellish blackness through which no light shines. I don't often remark on the aesthetics of beer, but this is a sight you don't see every day.

Smell: Bourbon and alcohol. Also a few subtle hints of coffee, but mostly alcohol and bourbon.

Taste: This is one hell of a beer. The bourbon hits you straight out of the gate like a wrecking ball, but I was expecting that based on my experience with other barrel aged stouts like Parabola and Bourbon County. That said, after that initial gut punch, Tweak really opens up in a way that those other beers don't. Behind all this thickness lies a surprisingly complex beer. There's a whole lot to this beer, with bourbon, malts, and chocolate hitting the tongue one after the other, ending with subtle coffee notes that keep it from having the same sort of harsh, boozy aftertaste that plague most other barrel aged beers when they're new. It's the sort of taste that lingers for days, but with a taste like this, I eagerly look forward to that.

Feel: This is a brick. The next thickest beer I know of is Bourbon County, but that's nothing compared to this. But oh, what a brick it is.

Overall: At $12.50 for a 12oz bottle, this is a very expensive beer, and I took a big risk buying it. But- and I can't believe I'm saying this, given the ludicrous price- it's worth it, and I'll definitely see if I can find another bottle next time I'm near the bottle shop where I found it.

I don't rate a lot of beers here, but this is something else. A tremendously exciting beer hiding in a familiar shell, Tweak is something I'd recommend to any stout lover. It only gets better as it warms, which is a great thing- after all, given it's extreme richness and its 17.81% alcohol content, it's going to take me hours to finish this thing. Could this be the best beer I've ever tried? Maybe it could.

4.86/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Arrives pitch black with a nice tan head that leaves a decent amount of lacing

Smell: Rich coffee aromatics galore

Taste: Chocolate, roast, French Roast coffee and more French Roast coffee; a bit of sweetness on the palate and a ton of coffee flavor in the finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; hides the ABV

Overall: I am overwhelmed by how good this beer is; it is like a rich Vietnamese or Turkish coffee without all the sugary sweetness

4.85/5  rDev +10%

On tap at the Uncle Jacob's Stout release party yesterday. This is my first BA review :)

Serving style was a small 5oz snifter. Immediately when it's set in front of you, you get a blast of espresso, and from multiple feet away. It completely fills the area in which you sit. Appearance wise, I let my pour sit for a good 45 minutes while I enjoyed a 2013 Rumpkin, and the head never dissipated which is incredible for a 15.1% abv brew. The base of this beer is essentially Mephistopheles with pounds upon pounds of coffee beans added throughout the entire brewing process. The smell is incredible, like a freshly french pressed shot of espresso and the appearance might even fool you into thinking it is. The taste matches the nose perfectly with a huge dose of mouth puckering espresso, tons of roast, and a peppery well masked burn from the booze. I think that if you were to tell somebody that this wasn't beer, they would buy it, since the burn could almost pass as the acidic quality found in actual coffee. I love this beer and I hope some day they are able to bottle it.

It is also worth noting that hours later, my mouth still tasted like tweak (even after all of the other beers) so if you plan on doing a tasting, save tweak as your last as to not spoil the other brews.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. Bottle
Gold Foil/Capped
Batch No. 2
Bottled: Jan 25 2016
ABV: 17.5%

Poured into a chalice a very nice dark brown color, very nice carbonation, with a very nice thick/creamy one-finger tan head, which leaves a very nice HUGE thick/creamy island and some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, with some very nice chocolate/toffee notes, very nice coffee note, vanilla, some dark fruits. The taste is very nice malty, very nice sweetness, vanilla, very nice chocolate/toffee notes, very nice touch of coffee, some dark fruits. Full Body, with a nice slightly dry/bitter finish, ABV is hidden very well, for a Impy it is pretty complex. Overall, this is an exceptional brew. Glad to have it available to me near by. Highly Recommended!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Jet black, with almost no head. Coffee, vanilla & caramel deliciousness. Rather thick mouthfeel - richness abounds. Surprisingly smooth, given it's high ABV (17.5%!). Pricy, but completely worth it.

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I acquired batch No. 1 of Tweak that was bottled Oct 28 2014 and consumed Feb 16 2016. Even after a year and quarter of aging, there is still about 1/3 inch of tan head after pouring. There is minimal lacing but it is dark as the other big name stouts. This beer packs a punch at 17.8%. I never had a beer so boozy. It has the very same end notes as high-end bourbon coming most likely from the abv and or the barrel. It is certainly bitter from the coffee and dark chocolate but it isn't nearly as balanced as Bourbon County Coffee. It steps from bitter coffee to overbearing whiskey. Definitely worth a try, but certainly a sipping beer. I'm not sure how much age if any would be required to mellow this monster of a stout

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It's thick and dark black with a rich golden mocha head
smells strongly of bourbon of faintly of coffee and chocolate. The smell is not overpowering though.
feels warm and creamy and then a faint burn of bourbon on the way down.
I taste the bourbon right away and then notice the coffee, chocolate, and a slightly salty finish.
I really like this beer and would highly recommend it.

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Dark pour with a two finger tan head. Solid lacing and retention.

S: A wallop of espresso beans, with some hint of chocolate and alcohol.

T: Wow. Really nice: a rich, dense, penetrating espresso flavor that just oozes throughout your mouth. Incredibly smooth finish. The chocolate is subdued but adds another dimension.

MF/D : Big, full-bodied. The feel of this beer in your mouth is just heavenly. It coats the tongue with espresso goodness; you practically chew it down. But it goes down easy and leaves just the right amount of alcohol-- not a burn, more of a hint.

O: This is a big beer, one of the biggest I've tried. What an amazing beer. Similar to Avery's Out of Sight, but much better in my opinion. I love big beer and Avery hit this one out of the park.

4.81/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

well....my 666th review. Already reviewed Devil Dancer and Beast. This is a stretch but given the base brew is Mephistopheles and it's named after a character from South Park, this'll have to do.
Look: Black as the dark one's backside. Gorgeous mocha lead.
Smell: Rich decadent, espresso, bourbon in the background, some dry, some sweet. Badass.
Taste: I just can't imagine a more satisfying taste....maybe some brews will compete but they'll come out a draw at best imo. Espresso, roast, bitter-sweet chocolate. Rich and decadent.
Overall: Just a wonderful creation from the wizards at Avery.

Tweak from Avery Brewing Company