Tweak - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  17.81% ABV

Beer added by: rye726 on 02-18-2010

Formerly known as Meph Addict and Coffeestopholes.

Tweak is Avery Mephistopheles Imperial Stout, with a chunk of coffee thrown in. If you haven’t geeked out enough, the brewery aged in four months in bourbon barrels.
Reviews: 166 | Hads: 1,457

Easily one of Avery's best creations...the flavor, the smell, the potency. Holds up nice to even some strong cigars. Definitely a sipping beer, better the warmer it gets. Only complaint is it's tough to get a hold of some! Avery needs to distribute more! (258 characters)

Poured into 3 oz glass.
Pours black as night with dark brown head, looks like melted chocolate.
Smeels like a strong espresso, chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel, so much going on.
Tastes amazing, strong coffee, espresso, toffee caramel from the nose, just a bit hot but hides it so well.
Nice creamy thick mouthfeel, as good as it gets.
Overall, this is as close to perfect as it gets. Fbs, bcbcs, kbs, bomb, none of them come close. Hands down my favorite coffee stout so far, blows them all away!

EDIT: this is a review for the non-ba tweak. (545 characters)

I had this at Stone's 14th Anniversary Celebration 8/21/10. A big pour into a taster glass.

A-Wow that's dark! Very dark head of tight bubbles that receeds quickly.

S-It screams coffee, but in a good way. I love good coffee and wish I could get more of this.

T-Coffee! big surprise there. Not harsh though light and flavorful a little alcohol but you'd never think it was 16%.

M-Luscious! Some stout's have a harshness to them that's off putting but this does not. It's smooth, definitely full bodied but well carbonated so it goes down easy.

D-I thought this was the regular Mephistopheles so I only got 1 taster thinking I could get more bottles. I should have sipped on a few more of these it was REALLY good! (719 characters)

Had it two years at EBF now.
Dark, thick, rich, and bam! Espresso!
Perfect silky mouthfeel. Unbeatable flavor.
This is their Mephistopheles Stout, coffeed.
If you like stout and you like porter, this is for you!
Best beer, hands down, at EBF Boston! Bottle this and sell it, Avery, please! (291 characters)

One of the best beers I ever tasted. Had it on-tap during GABF at Falling Rock.

Avery went all out on this one. Scramjet black, thin lacing around the head.

The coffee and almost chocolately smell overwhelms you, even when the glass is two feet from you.

The taste packs a whallop (along with the insane ABV) of espresso like blackness and it is sublimely smooth.

I could swirl and sip on one of these for hours, the complexity they baked into it is amazing.

I really hope they bottle this one someday, it is truly exceptional. (534 characters)

Had on draft at Rustico Alexandria in a snifter.

A-Pours a black opaque with a 1 1/2 finger tan head. Great lacing

S-Great aromas of coffee, chocolate, bourbon, and notes of vanilla.

T-Taste is just like the aromas. Simply amazing.

M-Mouthfeel is very very well balanced.

O-Overall this beer is excellent in all aspects. The 17.8 ABV is well hiddened. I would love to get a bottle to age to see how it would be, I could only imagine. (439 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +13.2%

I'm not worthy!

Bought six of these in October and figured I'd have one every 3-6 months or so. I'm not sure I'll have one left after 2 months.

Guess I'm a Meph Addict. (173 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +12%

Pitch black bourbon barrel coffee yummnes. Seriously a top 5 instant brew for me. If you don't like bourbon forward brews this is not for you. It smacks you in the face instantly with coffee, then a slight vanilla, followed by the heat of this big brew. I must try for any coffee or bourbon barrel fan! (302 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

On tap at Vine Street for Stout Month 2012. Re-post from my review of "Coffeestopheles" which is what Mountain Sun referred to the beer as, which is irritating because they specifially told me they were two different beers, turns out they just didn't like the name "Meph Addict"? Weak...Anyhow onto the review: They only allow a 4oz pour, arrived in a tiny wine glass that reminded me of a cordial offering. The beer is black, deep black, deep dark brown edges in light but this thing is dark. A decent dark brown head with good retention and excellent lacing. Looks impressive. The nose is rich in character with a ton going on: roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, oak, vanilla, and a hint of nuts. Hides the higher abv well. Perhaps a slight heat detectable but not much at all. Flavor explosion on the palette....wow. Big coffee tones begin as the rich flavors found in the nose come through. the chocolate and oak flavors provide an extremely well balanced beer. Mildly bitter. Hints of nut and raisin. I would never guess this was such a strong beer. Finishes clean and crisp and delicious. I've never had a coffee stout this good before. Amazing. Full bodied and reasonably carbonated. Overall, this beer is phenomenal. I really want another. Extremely highly recommended. (1,276 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Man this is better than BCBS. I don't give a shit about what people say this beer has more booze and less of an an alcohol taste!

Appearance: Black as night, aggressive pour gives you a decent amount of head.

Aroma: Boozy but not as bad as other beers, it actually smells like a beer should. Some booze in the aroma but more chocolate, coffee and malts. Smells like a regular BA imperial stout!

Taste: Not too boozy really for what it is, coffee, chocolate and some roasted malts are prominent. But the booze is not all that strong surprisingly. Thus far this is one of the better BA stouts I have had!

Overall: Nice beer. I totally enjoyed this one! (654 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Batch No.1 - Bottled on October 28, 2014

Almost black. Smooth but potent bourbon notes in the nose. The flavor profile includes a healthy dose of roasted malt and coffee with a sweet finish. The various flavors blend together so well.

The alcohol warmth on the finish gets to the edge of intrusive but it is not nearly harsh enough to ruin an exquisite drinking experience. (378 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +11.1%

2014 reserve, served in a Speigelau Stout Glass

Look: This is one of the best looking beers I've ever seen, with a gorgeous dark brown head that dissipates quickly leaving a river of hellish blackness through which no light shines. I don't often remark on the aesthetics of beer, but this is a sight you don't see every day.

Smell: Bourbon and alcohol. Also a few subtle hints of coffee, but mostly alcohol and bourbon.

Taste: This is one hell of a beer. The bourbon hits you straight out of the gate like a wrecking ball, but I was expecting that based on my experience with other barrel aged stouts like Parabola and Bourbon County. That said, after that initial gut punch, Tweak really opens up in a way that those other beers don't. Behind all this thickness lies a surprisingly complex beer. There's a whole lot to this beer, with bourbon, malts, and chocolate hitting the tongue one after the other, ending with subtle coffee notes that keep it from having the same sort of harsh, boozy aftertaste that plague most other barrel aged beers when they're new. It's the sort of taste that lingers for days, but with a taste like this, I eagerly look forward to that.

Feel: This is a brick. The next thickest beer I know of is Bourbon County, but that's nothing compared to this. But oh, what a brick it is.

Overall: At $12.50 for a 12oz bottle, this is a very expensive beer, and I took a big risk buying it. But- and I can't believe I'm saying this, given the ludicrous price- it's worth it, and I'll definitely see if I can find another bottle next time I'm near the bottle shop where I found it.

I don't rate a lot of beers here, but this is something else. A tremendously exciting beer hiding in a familiar shell, Tweak is something I'd recommend to any stout lover. It only gets better as it warms, which is a great thing- after all, given it's extreme richness and its 17.81% alcohol content, it's going to take me hours to finish this thing. Could this be the best beer I've ever tried? Maybe it could. (2,019 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Arrives pitch black with a nice tan head that leaves a decent amount of lacing

Smell: Rich coffee aromatics galore

Taste: Chocolate, roast, French Roast coffee and more French Roast coffee; a bit of sweetness on the palate and a ton of coffee flavor in the finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; hides the ABV

Overall: I am overwhelmed by how good this beer is; it is like a rich Vietnamese or Turkish coffee without all the sugary sweetness (476 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap at the Uncle Jacob's Stout release party yesterday. This is my first BA review :)

Serving style was a small 5oz snifter. Immediately when it's set in front of you, you get a blast of espresso, and from multiple feet away. It completely fills the area in which you sit. Appearance wise, I let my pour sit for a good 45 minutes while I enjoyed a 2013 Rumpkin, and the head never dissipated which is incredible for a 15.1% abv brew. The base of this beer is essentially Mephistopheles with pounds upon pounds of coffee beans added throughout the entire brewing process. The smell is incredible, like a freshly french pressed shot of espresso and the appearance might even fool you into thinking it is. The taste matches the nose perfectly with a huge dose of mouth puckering espresso, tons of roast, and a peppery well masked burn from the booze. I think that if you were to tell somebody that this wasn't beer, they would buy it, since the burn could almost pass as the acidic quality found in actual coffee. I love this beer and I hope some day they are able to bottle it.

It is also worth noting that hours later, my mouth still tasted like tweak (even after all of the other beers) so if you plan on doing a tasting, save tweak as your last as to not spoil the other brews. (1,283 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It's thick and dark black with a rich golden mocha head
smells strongly of bourbon of faintly of coffee and chocolate. The smell is not overpowering though.
feels warm and creamy and then a faint burn of bourbon on the way down.
I taste the bourbon right away and then notice the coffee, chocolate, and a slightly salty finish.
I really like this beer and would highly recommend it. (383 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Dark pour with a two finger tan head. Solid lacing and retention.

S: A wallop of espresso beans, with some hint of chocolate and alcohol.

T: Wow. Really nice: a rich, dense, penetrating espresso flavor that just oozes throughout your mouth. Incredibly smooth finish. The chocolate is subdued but adds another dimension.

MF/D : Big, full-bodied. The feel of this beer in your mouth is just heavenly. It coats the tongue with espresso goodness; you practically chew it down. But it goes down easy and leaves just the right amount of alcohol-- not a burn, more of a hint.

O: This is a big beer, one of the biggest I've tried. What an amazing beer. Similar to Avery's Out of Sight, but much better in my opinion. I love big beer and Avery hit this one out of the park. (775 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

well....my 666th review. Already reviewed Devil Dancer and Beast. This is a stretch but given the base brew is Mephistopheles and it's named after a character from South Park, this'll have to do.
Look: Black as the dark one's backside. Gorgeous mocha lead.
Smell: Rich decadent, espresso, bourbon in the background, some dry, some sweet. Badass.
Taste: I just can't imagine a more satisfying taste....maybe some brews will compete but they'll come out a draw at best imo. Espresso, roast, bitter-sweet chocolate. Rich and decadent.
Overall: Just a wonderful creation from the wizards at Avery. (594 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional beer. Right up there with BCBCS and KBS, although you may want to split this one. The coffee, bourbon, and stout flavors balance each other out nicely. (165 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

Had on tap at the Momi Hiwa release party at the brewery!! Pours up black with a nice dark brown head. Great lacing. Aroma is intense coffee. Some chocolate. Taste is HUUUGE coffee!!! Biggest coffee beer I've ever had!!! Chocolate, roasted malts, blah blah blah. It's all about this HUUUGE coffee flavor!! Full bodies, nice carbo. Amazing! (339 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

This is an exceptional Beer! I had it on tap at my fav bar Rock Island Public House in blue island, IL 5oz glass at $8! First I saw the 17.8% then bourbon barrel aged and finally coffee stout words on the board! I don't think anything else needs to be said other than "I DO!" The 1st sip brings a full sMile 2 my face this is delicious. Thank u beer GoDs! (356 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome BB coffee stout. Loads of vanilla, coffee, and bourbon in the nose and taste. Pretty potent, and didn't disguise the high ABV but still pretty drinkable. Nice level of carbonation; mouthfeel added with a creamy texture. Very enjoyable. (243 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

I had this beer two months ago so I cant give it an "as it happens rating" but I will say that it is awesome. If you love imp. stouts you will love this beer and I will go on a limb to suggest you will like this more than whatever your current favorite stout is. Get it if you see it. Really expensive?....yes. Part with the cash for a one time splurge, think of it as a gift to yourself. Stout lovers you will not regret it.

I only docked the taste because the giant alcohol presence but take it for what its worth because @17.81% ABV its still masked better than some that are half that much and lower.

I only dock the feel because Im being modest and I cant remember it well enough. (689 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

bottle picked up locally, enjoyed from an avery tulipy snifter.

a - brew pours a lush deep black. great shine...not midnight, the real middle of the night. thin creamy deep tan that hung around. super attractive. lush not sludgy.

s - nose screams awesome. deep rich gourmet coffee melded with godiva chocolate...everything is in the right place. this is what mocha wednesday wishes it was. the wood comes across in a big way and is just right.

t/m/o - WOW! huge beer. everything the nose said is turned up to 11 on the taste. the first thing i noticed was the silky feel with such lush chocolate and robust gourmet coffee. big and boozy, but more than manageable. avery really does these big beers so well. the price point is tough, but they almost always make it worth it. this one is no exception. you like coffee bourbon barrel aged stouts you say? then this is a MUST try. (895 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Better than the base beer. Great coffee presence without being overpowering. Alcohol content not noticeable at all. Far too drinkable. Just awesome. (152 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8%

What set this apart from some other bourbon BA stouts was how well the coffee seemed to tie in with the roasted malt and the bourbon flavors. Definitely hot with a little burn at this alcohol level, but not off-putting. It was tough to tell that it had coffee added with how well you could pick up the malt and the bourbon. A lot will hit you in the head with the coffee.
Has a great, creamy body. I'm not sure it's quite where BC Coffee is, but it's close. (461 characters)

Tweak from Avery Brewing Company