Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

New World Porter - Avery Brewing Company

New World PorterNew World Porter

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-27-2002

Reviews: 500 | Hads: 1,025

This beer pours a dark brown color, that, when held up to a light, has a slight ruby red tint to it. The head is thick, fluffy, and light brown. It fades very slowly, leaving a lot of laces.

The first thing I noticed about the aroma, was as I was pouring it, it was strong. Malty caramle sweetness. Also, some slight citrus hops. It has a nice coffee aroma also.

This beer tastes great. It has a coffee flavor. It tastes like sweet caramel. It has a slight hop flavor also.

This beer is very smooth. It is well carbonated for the style. It is balanced to perfection. It leaves a malty aftertaste.

I think this beer would make an excellant session beer. It tastes great, and the alcohol content is not too high.

Overall: This is probably one of the best Porters I have ever had. I was expecting a booring beer with out much taste. Unfortunately, I get that a lot from Porters. What I got this time was an amazing beer. WOW.

Tired.. to be short. DRY HOPPING! This is what this beer is all about. This beer would fall through and would have no credibility without it. Good malt.. Roast.. chocolate.. I hesitate to call it thin because its full enough to enjoy, thin enough to take a long pull. Well balanced.. for a hop head. But let me reiterate...

DRY HOPPING! Want a dark, hoppy, sessionable beer? Than this is for you! A damn good porter for a hop fix, rather than a malt fix. I believe this beer fills in a good niche, and hence deserves a spot in my cupboard! I am not a man to buy packs of many beer, but this one would warrant my money! I am a horrid reviewer.. what do the hops tastes like.. err.. well... good. Its bitter than most porters, so move along if that isn't your thing.

4.83/5  rDev +24.5%

Pours reddish brwon with a finger and a half beige head.

Coffee aromas at first, but then chocolate, and not just any chocolate, but fucking milk chocolate. Wow, it's like a liquid candy bar. Fabulous.

Alot of roastiness in the flavor, but also some black patent acid and an ever present chocolate. Nice rounded bitterness at the end.

Full bodied and chewy, this is what porter is all about. Almost as good as homebrewed. Excellent brew.

4.83/5  rDev +24.5%

12 oz into Schlitz weizen glass.

Wow this beer fits me more nicely that any other in recent memory.

A: Beautiful cascading browns on pour with 3 finger tan head over a dark reddish brown body. Laces all the way up and down and head retention is a one.

S: Floral hops and caramel malts.

T: Perfectly balanced hops, malts and yeast. bitter and malty espresso kick that starts toffee sweet and ends piney dry. Bravo!

M: Wow this feels good in there (thats what she said).

D: This beer is really good. You should try on one. I'm betting it will be a tailor fit, lads and lasses. I'm glad I live in the New World.

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%

A tremendous porter that is bold, tasty and complex. It pours nearly black and the head is modest but durable, tan in color and nicely lacing the glass. The smell is impressive--chocolate, coffee, caramel, and citrus and berry hops. The taste is equally intricate, with the flavors bursting forth, and the texture is creamy smooth, very delicious. I'm glad I grabbed more than one of this fantastic, fascinating brew that has quickly moved near the top of my list of favorite porters. Well done, as usual, by Avery.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Sooo glad I re-reviewed this one. Turns out my original sample was seriously off. Initially was about a 3.5 and a rare buy. Now 4.5 and heavy rotation.

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no dating system into a pint glass. It had a black color that showed mahogany highlights when against a bright light. It had a huge tannish head from a healthy pour that settled into a constant 1/4" inch foam with great lacing. The smell was great - roasted malts, coffee and some sweetness (the original sample had a weird piney smell that thankfully wasn't in this one). The taste was amazing. This is exactly what I want in an Am Porter. Great roasted taste from start to finish with some bitter but not too much at the end. Mouthfeel was nice and creamy. Overall this is an amazing beer that I highly recommend. This one will be a player in the rotation for sure (4.5, HR, T, Y)

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

A dry-hopped Robust Porter from Avery? Oh hell yeah!

Packaged in a 12 oz. brown bottle adorned with an attractive label featuring an ornamented map of the Americas. Served in a Willie Becher pub glass.

Color is black with a creamy beige head and sticky-icky lacing properties. Carbonation makes its way to the surface in a science-fiction bubble-shaped alien spacecraftesque manner.

The aroma is a phenomenon of sorts, as it promises the chewy caramel I crave blasted with the intrinsic essence of spicy coniferous trees.

Mouthfeel is intense and full. The creamy sensation gets clobbered halfway through as big bitter takes over for a bristling finish.

The taste is fantastic with a dogpile of chocolate malt, sweet caramel and intense hops.

This beer is very flavorful and enjoyable to drink. This is no English Porter as evidenced by the assertive bitterness and upfront hop aroma. I very much enjoyed this cutting-edge American-brewed bastardization of a classic English style.

4.64/5  rDev +19.6%

this beer caught me with my pants down was not expecting to find a dark port that had so much hoppy goodness the smell is nothing but hop but yet the balance of the taste was not to overpowering sill had some malt taste very easy to drink all around a very great beer

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearance: dark, rich brown, and a big, creamy, cocoa/ tan head.
Aroma is perfect! Rich, delicious, bitter at first, but quickly dissolves into a luscious, creamy essence, redolent with notes of coffee, spice, rum, pepper, anise...a beautiful blend!
Taste possesses small bitterness, thick, sweet, roasted malt, and is ultimately rounded out and smoothed, immensely palatable. Tenacious flavor continues with every sip, and is instantly met with creamy smoothness. Long, rich, flavorful finish. Yum, yummy, yum! Damned near perfect, and I'd put it up there with Anchor for flavor and smooth drinkability.
If the world was better, I could get this around here, and drink it every day.
As it is, I thank kbub6f (and TXHops!) for helping me to sample this exemplary porter. Oh, it's good!

4.61/5  rDev +18.8%

New World Porter pours a large coffee and cream colored head that is dense and thick. It has great retention, becoming rocky as it settles, and leaves heavy lacing. Body is about as dark as brown can get, almost black. Aroma has roasted dark chocolate, coffee, and piney hops. A small touch of citrusy hops as well.

Taste starts with bitter roasted dark chocolate, then coffee with grapefruit and lemon, with a piney and slightly herbal hop finish, with a hint of vanilla. Roasty and piney aftertaste. Feel is maybe just a tad light for the style, with expected carbonation, great creamy feel.

Wow, I had high hopes for this one, and my hopes were far exceeded. This is the best Hoppy Porter/ Black IPA/ American Black Ale (whatever you wanna call it) I have ever had, easily surpassing Sublimely Self-Righteous (which is a great beer in its own right).

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

a dry-hopped porter

A: the pour set forth brown colors of all shades paired with deep orange reddish hues. The caramel mocha whipped top left dangling chunks and streaks of sticky lace, nice look. By the pour I get the feeling that this brew has some "heft" to it

S: dark roasted chocolate malts, with subtle toffee nut whiffs. What tickles my nose the best is the solid dose of citrusy and fruity hops. Overall, I like my porters robust and malty and the bursting smells of hops surprised and intrigued me. Lets see what happens

T: Dang. I was fearing that this would be a hop bomb and jab at the roasted malty flavors, not the case at all. Avery Brewing has done a great job of keeping the roasted chocolate cocoa sprinkled malts in a good footing while the hops swirl about. The hops are melded, dare I say perfectly, in the mix and take on flavors of oranges, grapefruits, and fresh florals. The finish has a snap of peppery hops with a few splinters of woodiness and the tastes of bitter coffee, chocolates, and caramel are still going strong. Great stuff going on in this one!

M: to even further my compliments of this porter is the meaty body. One of the heavier porters I have had in a while with a glassy smooth finish. The body just fits the flavors, tastes, and style wonderfully

D: I am marking this one in my beer book. This has to be one of the tastiest porters I can remember having. As mentioned before, I like the typical robust malty porters and shy away from really hopped type porters or stouts. But, if they get the right combination going, I am hard pressed to set the glass/bottle down. This one great!

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured a very dark tawny color... nearly black. Nice tan head.

The smell was full of hops with a nice malt background. The taste was a wonderful combination of dark roasted chocolate malts and strong citrusy hops with a bit of a sour note. The balance is incredible and, amazingly enough, they both go well together.

The mouthfeel was thin but complex... the alcohol was warming but not overpowering.

An excellent but very different porter. Highly recommended!

4.58/5  rDev +18%

Pertinent Preliminary Comments: Many thanks to Beaver13 for turning me on to this beer – he didn’t buy this one for me, but the first one I ever had was due to his generosity, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge him for his good taste.

Avery hasn’t made a beer that I haven’t liked, and I’ll tip my hand – I’ve had this before, and it’s terrific. IIRC, this is a dry-hopped Porter… brilliant!

APPEARANCE: Translucent dark root beer brown. Head is ENORMOUS – half the beer is still in the bottle, awaiting its turn to be drank. Tight, firm bubbles… I might go take a walk while this settles down.

Okay… back. Only 2 inches left of this head, and the lacing left behind by the first inch is beautiful! Quite a sight.

AROMA: MMMMmmm… hops! What a pleasure to be able to SMELL them in a porter! Decent malt as well, but the hops certainly take center stage here.

FLAVOR: It’s quite odd for me to taste hops right off in a porter (forgive me – I’ve had so many porters over the last few months they were all beginning to taste the same), and this is a nice change. Every sip carries the tell-tale tongue-tip-tingling of a strong hop presence. Coffee and chocolate in the middle – nice balance – but this is a hop bomb (and I mean that in a good way). And why not?

MOUTHFEEL: Nice spiciness, medium weight, clean finish.

DRINKABILITY: This is a great late spring or early fall brew. I could see myself lifting a few of these on a brisk September evening out on someone’s deck in the mountains… as long as I’m not driving home afterwards; the 6.7% ABV is somewhat winding-mountain-road-driving prohibitive.

OVERALL COMMENTS: You know, this really doesn’t fit the style for a porter, what with all the hoppiness and such… and you know what else? I just don’t care. OUTSTANDING beer!

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a bottle, solid black color with a nice light mocha colored head.

Lots of chocolate and sweetness on the nose, and something that I couldn't place. It had a candy bar type of sweet smell

When I took my first sip, I realized that the smell I couldn't place was the hops mixed with the malty esters. Lots of chocolate and a slight bit of coffee, followed by a lot of sweet hops with a little bit of citrus. Very tasty beer and very sessionable, I'll definitely seek this out again!

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Deep amber red, chestnut color. When not touched by light it looks brown, but has the chestnut, red highlights throughout. Highlights look fairly clear A big tan head erupts with a hard pour and this beer produces some insanely good lacing. The froth clings to the beer for dear life!

Smell is exceptionally good. If every six pack beer could smell exactly like this, the world would be a wonderful place. Dark malts with slight hints of chocolate, and maybe some slight nuttiness. Well hopped, citrus dry-hopped. This smell would make any beer lover happy, very diverse.

The taste is completely on par with the smell. Dark malts, slight hints of bitter chocolate and hints of sweetness; similar to molasses or some glazed nuts. Toasted/roasted malt sweetness I guess. Also a good earthy/citrusy hoppiness to it. Overall it's big and bold, has a lot going on in every aspect of the flavor, while being extremely well balanced.

Mouthfeel is very good. Full bodied. Starts sweet and finishes clean and bitter. The strong flavors are well balanced and it it. The carbonation level is perfect. Did I mention well balanced??? This beer is extremely drinkable, literally perfect.

Big, bold and excellent, nice job Avery!

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

-ABV: 6.7%
-Malts: Columbus, Fuggles

I guess Avery thinks the name New World Porter is a pretty clever play on the cliché phrase, new world order. I guess I do to, as it’s not only an old-style beer brewed in the new world, it’s also slightly unusual for a porter in that it’s dry-hopped. In my opinion, the resulting flavor actually does set it apart quite nicely.

The deep reddish-black body and long-lasting, sticky-lacing brown head set the stage for a standard porter experience, but mingled in with the strong coffee and unsweetened chocolate aroma is a big smack of what I thought were American hops. The Avery web page claims that this porter uses Columbus and Fuggles, and I bet this beer is dry hopped with the Fuggles, because that’s how I’d do it…. Still on first sniff, I thought it was Cascades…

A full, chocolaty-citric body also shows strong sub flavors of super-strong coffee, and burnt toast. It’s really a strange sensation to taste the expected porter flavors and to also taste such a pronounced hoppiness. I like the experimentation and I think it works well. This beer is dry, bitter, full, crisp, sweet, malty and citric all at the same time. Cool!

Nice beer—well done. I could drink a LOT of these. In fact, I think I’ll have another.

Update--after a few weeks and the depletion of my stash of New World Porter, I HAD to come back and bump up the score on this beer. I found myself thinking about it a lot--at work, while going to bed, while drinking other beers... The chocolatey, toasty maltiness and the big, pronounced hoppiness are just addictive. This is a REALLY good beer...

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

A brown creamy thick head rests on top of a deep brown to black beer. At first I get a fruity fresh hoppy aroma, then aromas of toasted bread, and roasted coffee kick in. The toasted aromas are quite wonderful. This is a thick full bodied porter. Taste of chocolate, toasted biscuits, and a full malt character. There is an aftertaste of burnt malt/ roast coffee. The hop flavor is quite good and quite interesting, with the present roasted notes it is quite hard to tell what types of hops are used, but they are quite noticeably there. The hops add an interesting zing to this tasty brew. This is a very well done beer, and it is quite tasty to boot.

4.54/5  rDev +17%

Finally found another six pack of this here in Raleigh for the first time in six months. Loved it back then and still love it now. Avery boasts that what makes this porter different is that it's dry hopped. This is definitely evident in the aroma. Hops also are not shy in the taste as well. For a hophead like me, this beer is great for the winter months. If I want a dark beer on a cold night and am also in the mood for an IPA, I'll certainly look for this stuff.

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

This mahogany brew forms an elegant lace, and thick tan head. When it's in a well lit pint glass, there are pleasant hints of red in its depths. The complex appearance embodies an equally complex brew.

The aroma of vanilla, coffee, and mint is enticing, as are the flavors that blend coffee, chocolate and rich barley notes. The beer is neither exceptionally bitter, nor acrid. It is robust and full bodied, yet smooth, benefiting from a transparent yeast.

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%

I'm not a huge fan of porters, but Ed insisted that I just had to try this one last night. Thank you, Ed. I owe you a favor.

This beer arrived a typical porter opaque black color. What was really different about it was the head. about 2 inches of foam so dense and stiff, you could have sculpted it with a putty knife. I've never seen a head this dense and creamy on a porter without being a nitro tap (which this was not).

Smell was actually somewhat difficult to detect. I practically had to bury my nose in the foam to smell anything. I finally got traces of sweet carmelized malt but not much else.

The taste on other other hand was very upfront. This is one absolutely outstanding porter. Heavy sweet malt rolls around on the tongue for an extended period. Faint traces of coffee and fruit in the finish.

I'm amazed that this beer doesn't have a higher rating.
Absolutely outstanding.

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Just finished the last growler of the bottom of the keg. Wonderfully hoppy aroma and flavor but no bitter aftertaste. the dry hopping really does come through. Reminds me of a delicious black IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
Appearance - black, though against the light a bit of mahogany is present. A mocha colored, marshmallow like head. Lace all over the glass!
Smell - sweet hop aroma, some chocolate brownie which is very nice!
Taste - very tasty, hop forward, but well balanced with the standard, but terrific malt backbone of the black ale style!
Feel - surprisingly light for the style and for the 6.7% ABV. Refreshing and a nice bitterness from the hops.
Overall - I love the style, and this is a fantastic representation and at a great price point!

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Had this out at Buffalo Wild wings after work.

A - Black coffee brew with a one finger khaki head that reduces to a thick collar. A good swirl brings a full finger back.

S - Coffee, roasted grains, toast, and big floral hops. Dark and roasty with epic levels of hop for a porter.

T - Rich dark chocolate, espresso, and massive toasty grains. Again, lots of hops...the bottle says dry hopped, and It sure tastes like it! Nearly perfect. Reminds me of Boulevard Bully Porter in that it's really roasty and highly hopped for a porter.

M - Moderate pillowy carbonation with an extremely full body. Big and rich in the mouth, but tingly enough to be refreshing.

D - Just an outstanding porter. I love the dry, roasty, and hoppy flavors and the big full mouthfeel. This is really complex, but never overwhelming. I will surely have this again. Dangerously drinkable for such a big beer.

4.5/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

pours dark dark brown almost pitch black with a huge tan head with small tight bubbles that had great retention and left lacing all down the glass

smells of fruity hops and roasted chocolate

taste - is great lots of hops - reminds me a little of alpha klaus - call me crazy but the combo of roasted chocolate caramel malt mixed with the fruit from the hops give it a blueberry flavor??

mouthfeel is a tad thin - light body decent carbonation very smooth and somewhat creamy

drinkability is out of this world - the body might be a little thin but that is ok because now i can drink multiple bottles

4.5/5  rDev +16%

12 fl oz brown bottle, served in a nonic.

A deep maple in color that is nearly opaque with a hue of ruby. A dense, coffee colored head that recedes from the outside-in, leaving an ice cream scoop of foam in the nonic's center. Ringed and cascading lacing that barely leaves a centimeter untouched on the glass' sides.

Deeply, roasted maltiness with bitter hints of dark chocolate, oats, and robust espresso. A lingering whaff of smoke that brings out a dry, nutty aroma with bittered coffee beans. Awesome!

Smoke with notes of cedar, reminiscent of a Rauchbier that prelude a rich and robust malt character. Bitter dark chocolate, espresso, and off hints of dark caramel. The hop presence is rather aggressive with pine and spruce flavors. Following a moderate bitterness is an espresso and cedar-smoked aftertaste.

Full bodied; a great balance of such intense flavors. Despite the richness, this Porter has a remarkably smooth mouthfeel.

What intense flavors and balance! Probably fits the Baltic Porter style, more than an American Porter, but I can't deduct points for that. Impressive on nearly every front.

New World Porter from Avery Brewing Company