New World Porter - Avery Brewing Company

New World PorterNew World Porter

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-27-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New World Porter Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -67.5%

1.56/5  rDev -59.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This porter had a great appearance when poured. It was a little more carbonated than I preferred.

We could definitely tell the difference of the dry-hopping process. This tasted bitter and very citrusy. Reminiscent of crossing a Shock-top with a porter look.

Not my style, as it claimed to have sweet caramel and chocolate characteristics. All I could taste was citrus and hops.

Will not buy this again.

2.05/5  rDev -46.8%

A beautiful label does not make a great beer. Too bad, this label is very nice.
Pours a rich, dark, deep ruby red, almost brown but not quite. Good head and good lace.
Smell is hoppy with just a hint of roasted malt and nothing else.
Taste is like a weakly flavored porter mated with an IPA. Just hops, a slight hint of toasted malt and some coffee hint in the aftertaste. And noticeable alcohol. No complexity, no balance.
Mouthfeel: medium body, effervescent on the front of the tongue.
Drinkability: If you want a porter, get something else. Should be labeled a dark IPA. Would be more accurate, surely. (I know, don't call you Shirley.)

2.23/5  rDev -42.1%

Pours out nearly black with dark ruby hues along with a frothy, cappuccino head. Smells of roasted malt with a rather forceful aroma of alcohol that's almost off-putting. Things start off nice with flavors of the roasted malts followed by some sweetness. After that comes some unpleasant alcohol. It's so overpowering that it gets to the point of nauseating. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth enough, yes, but there's too much alcohol warmth on the tongue for what is to be somewhat of a sessionable style. This is hard to finish even just one, and I love porters. That should tell you something.

This beer's downfall is characteristic of the majority of Avery brews: too much booze. I really do not understand how they do it. It actually impresses me that they manage to let the alcohol run the show on almost every beer they make. A very consistent brewery.

2.25/5  rDev -41.6%

To hoppy, if i wanted an IPA i would drink an IPA.

2.35/5  rDev -39%

A - red around the edges with some light through the center of the glass. Tall near white creamy head leaving some lacing.

S - hops are present with a little malt.

T - overly hoppy for a porter. Mild malts and chocolate.

M - very mild coating and tiny tingle on tip of tongue.

D - pass.

2.35/5  rDev -39%

Appearance - Pours a black color which displays quite a bit of ruby when held to the light. Has a tan one finger foamy head.

Smell - Smells of hops and some malt with coffee.

Taste - Hops come to the forefront with coffee bitterness and some malt. Too hoppy for a Porter in my opinion. Not enough malt flavor.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied, bitter, and has quite a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability - Drinkability is below average. There are plenty of Porters better than this one.

2.53/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A) a little flat, only small head that faded quickly. Dark dark brown, good color.

S) kinda light, nothing really eminating from the glass, just a slight roasted toffee type smell.

T) Fizzy and a bit tart. I'm used to Porters being more full flavored than this.

M) Again, a tad sharp on the tongue. I like my porters on the creamy side, this is thin.

D) I bought a 6er, certainly I will finish it, but I won't be buying again as there are too many good beers to be had.

2.54/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Alright, after my experience with their Mephistopheles stout, I had high hopes for this porter from the Avery brewery. It starts out decent enough with the pour-- black as night with a good head and decent retention, but then the aroma warns me of trouble ahead... Hoppy? It's just a hint of hops, but then I'm shocked by the amount of hops I taste. WTF? This just isn't what I expect from a porter, but then I tend to judge porters by Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter and this is a far cry from that. This seems to be an attempt to satisfy the American urge to hop-up everything and it leaves me feeling a little pissed off. Enjoy, hopheads... This one is for you.

2.58/5  rDev -33%

I begining to question why Avery has even bothered to push their standard beers out beyond their local area. This porter for example which I have heard so much about is just a mess. Dark with a good head and lacing to boot. But come on dry hopping a porter this much is not the best idea. It didn't work for Alpha Klaus although the choice of hops here better compliments the porter. I do like the smell of the C-hops but that is not what I want in my porter. While they do not come through too strong in the taste they do take away form what tastes like a very nice robust porter. I would like to try the base with out the aggressive dry hop and I think it would be much better. As it is I would drink this again.

2.65/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A - As black as the night itself (okay, dark brown) with a small brown head. No big clumps of lacing, but the entire glass got covered in tiny circles of bubbles.

S - WHOA! It is like being kicked in the face by a cow - a ca-cow. Which is also cacao if you can spell. A bit of burnt malt aroma too.

T - Strong chocolatey malts with a bit of coffee and burnt malt. Aftertaste is some lingering chocolatey-ness with a strong characterless bitterness. After these two fade there is a bit of a taste like burnt bread that lasts even longer.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and chewy. It isn't refreshing.

D - Abominable. Porters should be quaffable. It is bold and potent (as I have come to expect from Avery), but not enjoyable to drink. It's lingering flavors and lack of refreshing palate make this hard to finish. This is the sort of beer that I take one sip, and then I don't want another sip until about two minutes later when the awesome smell makes me think, "Come on, it must be good if it smells like this." Sigh. If only that were true. After I drank most of my glass, it became very easy to drink! Yeah, I will pass on this porter in the future. But don't worry, I've got more Avery brews in the fridge!

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

This beer was really not up to par with the usually very high quality of Avery's brews. It is the only bad experience that I have had with beer from this brewery. Go with one of their stouts instead. If you are in the area, the brewery is worth a stop also.

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

I poured this odd beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was black and poured a really nice head It also had great lacing. My hopes were high. The taste started off nice with a great burnt chocolate hit, however it was hopped. A hoppy porter is not my cup of beer. The beer also had a bitter finish like a Engkish Ale. I will not buy again.

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Black with a touch of light coming through the edges. One
finger tan head with good retention and and lacing.

S: A weird combination of chocolate roasted malts and floral
hops. Smells a tad like throw-up.

T: Chocolate and toffee upfront. Again the weird hop profile
comes through, like floral and pine but the roasted malts
really mess with it. Bitterness is mild.

M: Medium light body. Medium carbonation. A touch dry.

O: Not my cup of tea. The hops and malt do not work together in this one.

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

Appearance: This black beer is opaque. The head is thin, but holds up throughout. The lacing is thin.

Smell: The smell is sweet, as if it is a milkstout. Coffee and chocolate are noticeable. The bottle claims that it is dry-hopped but I don't detect that in the nose.

Taste: Tastes like a milk stout to me. Lots of roasted malt. The alcohol is not noticeable at all.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation provides for a bubbly brew.

Drinkability: I probably won't come back to this beer.

2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

My never-ending quest to drink more porters continues.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Sam Adams glass a deep brown to black. A one-finger tan head forms on top and drops to a large collar with an almost full bubbly surface coating.

SMELL: In a surprise twist, the nost is dominated by hops. Citrusy and piny, they definitely overwhelm any malt aromas present. A slight roasted character is there in the background, but not enough to get through the hops.

TASTE: This is definitely one of the more hoppy porters I've ever had. It's too bad that the malt doesn't come up to match it. Initially, some chocolate and caramel flavors come through. But as it gets to the point where you need some bitter black malt to balance it out, the hops try and do it and take it too far. The finish as all hop flavor, leaving me wishing this beer were more balanced.

MOUTHFEEL: A tad thin but not too bad. Carbonation is at an average level which is right where it should be.

DRINKABILITY: Porters aren't necessarily a hop-forward style so taking the hops past the malt is really overkill. Definitely makes it harder to drink. One and done for me.

Ah well, not all of them can be winners. There are much better examples of the style out there. Pass on New World Porter and grab something else.

New World Porter from Avery Brewing Company