Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

New World Porter - Avery Brewing Company

New World PorterNew World Porter

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-27-2002

Reviews: 500 | Hads: 1,025
1.63/5  rDev -58%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This porter had a great appearance when poured. It was a little more carbonated than I preferred.

We could definitely tell the difference of the dry-hopping process. This tasted bitter and very citrusy. Reminiscent of crossing a Shock-top with a porter look.

Not my style, as it claimed to have sweet caramel and chocolate characteristics. All I could taste was citrus and hops.

Will not buy this again.

2.07/5  rDev -46.6%

A beautiful label does not make a great beer. Too bad, this label is very nice.
Pours a rich, dark, deep ruby red, almost brown but not quite. Good head and good lace.
Smell is hoppy with just a hint of roasted malt and nothing else.
Taste is like a weakly flavored porter mated with an IPA. Just hops, a slight hint of toasted malt and some coffee hint in the aftertaste. And noticeable alcohol. No complexity, no balance.
Mouthfeel: medium body, effervescent on the front of the tongue.
Drinkability: If you want a porter, get something else. Should be labeled a dark IPA. Would be more accurate, surely. (I know, don't call you Shirley.)

2.31/5  rDev -40.5%

Pours out nearly black with dark ruby hues along with a frothy, cappuccino head. Smells of roasted malt with a rather forceful aroma of alcohol that's almost off-putting. Things start off nice with flavors of the roasted malts followed by some sweetness. After that comes some unpleasant alcohol. It's so overpowering that it gets to the point of nauseating. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth enough, yes, but there's too much alcohol warmth on the tongue for what is to be somewhat of a sessionable style. This is hard to finish even just one, and I love porters. That should tell you something.

This beer's downfall is characteristic of the majority of Avery brews: too much booze. I really do not understand how they do it. It actually impresses me that they manage to let the alcohol run the show on almost every beer they make. A very consistent brewery.

2.38/5  rDev -38.7%

A - red around the edges with some light through the center of the glass. Tall near white creamy head leaving some lacing.

S - hops are present with a little malt.

T - overly hoppy for a porter. Mild malts and chocolate.

M - very mild coating and tiny tingle on tip of tongue.

D - pass.

2.38/5  rDev -38.7%

Appearance - Pours a black color which displays quite a bit of ruby when held to the light. Has a tan one finger foamy head.

Smell - Smells of hops and some malt with coffee.

Taste - Hops come to the forefront with coffee bitterness and some malt. Too hoppy for a Porter in my opinion. Not enough malt flavor.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied, bitter, and has quite a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability - Drinkability is below average. There are plenty of Porters better than this one.

2.53/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A) a little flat, only small head that faded quickly. Dark dark brown, good color.

S) kinda light, nothing really eminating from the glass, just a slight roasted toffee type smell.

T) Fizzy and a bit tart. I'm used to Porters being more full flavored than this.

M) Again, a tad sharp on the tongue. I like my porters on the creamy side, this is thin.

D) I bought a 6er, certainly I will finish it, but I won't be buying again as there are too many good beers to be had.

2.57/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Alright, after my experience with their Mephistopheles stout, I had high hopes for this porter from the Avery brewery. It starts out decent enough with the pour-- black as night with a good head and decent retention, but then the aroma warns me of trouble ahead... Hoppy? It's just a hint of hops, but then I'm shocked by the amount of hops I taste. WTF? This just isn't what I expect from a porter, but then I tend to judge porters by Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter and this is a far cry from that. This seems to be an attempt to satisfy the American urge to hop-up everything and it leaves me feeling a little pissed off. Enjoy, hopheads... This one is for you.

2.59/5  rDev -33.2%

I begining to question why Avery has even bothered to push their standard beers out beyond their local area. This porter for example which I have heard so much about is just a mess. Dark with a good head and lacing to boot. But come on dry hopping a porter this much is not the best idea. It didn't work for Alpha Klaus although the choice of hops here better compliments the porter. I do like the smell of the C-hops but that is not what I want in my porter. While they do not come through too strong in the taste they do take away form what tastes like a very nice robust porter. I would like to try the base with out the aggressive dry hop and I think it would be much better. As it is I would drink this again.

2.72/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A - As black as the night itself (okay, dark brown) with a small brown head. No big clumps of lacing, but the entire glass got covered in tiny circles of bubbles.

S - WHOA! It is like being kicked in the face by a cow - a ca-cow. Which is also cacao if you can spell. A bit of burnt malt aroma too.

T - Strong chocolatey malts with a bit of coffee and burnt malt. Aftertaste is some lingering chocolatey-ness with a strong characterless bitterness. After these two fade there is a bit of a taste like burnt bread that lasts even longer.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and chewy. It isn't refreshing.

D - Abominable. Porters should be quaffable. It is bold and potent (as I have come to expect from Avery), but not enjoyable to drink. It's lingering flavors and lack of refreshing palate make this hard to finish. This is the sort of beer that I take one sip, and then I don't want another sip until about two minutes later when the awesome smell makes me think, "Come on, it must be good if it smells like this." Sigh. If only that were true. After I drank most of my glass, it became very easy to drink! Yeah, I will pass on this porter in the future. But don't worry, I've got more Avery brews in the fridge!

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%

This beer was really not up to par with the usually very high quality of Avery's brews. It is the only bad experience that I have had with beer from this brewery. Go with one of their stouts instead. If you are in the area, the brewery is worth a stop also.

2.86/5  rDev -26.3%

I poured this odd beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was black and poured a really nice head It also had great lacing. My hopes were high. The taste started off nice with a great burnt chocolate hit, however it was hopped. A hoppy porter is not my cup of beer. The beer also had a bitter finish like a Engkish Ale. I will not buy again.

2.87/5  rDev -26%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Black with a touch of light coming through the edges. One
finger tan head with good retention and and lacing.

S: A weird combination of chocolate roasted malts and floral
hops. Smells a tad like throw-up.

T: Chocolate and toffee upfront. Again the weird hop profile
comes through, like floral and pine but the roasted malts
really mess with it. Bitterness is mild.

M: Medium light body. Medium carbonation. A touch dry.

O: Not my cup of tea. The hops and malt do not work together in this one.

2.94/5  rDev -24.2%

Appearance: This black beer is opaque. The head is thin, but holds up throughout. The lacing is thin.

Smell: The smell is sweet, as if it is a milkstout. Coffee and chocolate are noticeable. The bottle claims that it is dry-hopped but I don't detect that in the nose.

Taste: Tastes like a milk stout to me. Lots of roasted malt. The alcohol is not noticeable at all.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation provides for a bubbly brew.

Drinkability: I probably won't come back to this beer.

2.97/5  rDev -23.5%

My never-ending quest to drink more porters continues.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Sam Adams glass a deep brown to black. A one-finger tan head forms on top and drops to a large collar with an almost full bubbly surface coating.

SMELL: In a surprise twist, the nost is dominated by hops. Citrusy and piny, they definitely overwhelm any malt aromas present. A slight roasted character is there in the background, but not enough to get through the hops.

TASTE: This is definitely one of the more hoppy porters I've ever had. It's too bad that the malt doesn't come up to match it. Initially, some chocolate and caramel flavors come through. But as it gets to the point where you need some bitter black malt to balance it out, the hops try and do it and take it too far. The finish as all hop flavor, leaving me wishing this beer were more balanced.

MOUTHFEEL: A tad thin but not too bad. Carbonation is at an average level which is right where it should be.

DRINKABILITY: Porters aren't necessarily a hop-forward style so taking the hops past the malt is really overkill. Definitely makes it harder to drink. One and done for me.

Ah well, not all of them can be winners. There are much better examples of the style out there. Pass on New World Porter and grab something else.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

New World Porter – Porter (6.7%) - Avery Brewing Co. (Colorado)

App: Pours a very dark mahogany brown with hints of red in different light. Two finger khaki head settles to a rocky half finger retention with tons of lacing up the the glass.

Smell: Deep roasted aromas with hints of meatiness and chocolate. Ever so slight volatility, and a very basic and reclusive hops aroma. Not super strong on aroma.

Taste: Some light roasted flavors on the foretaste, expanding in to a formidable bitterness that seems to arise from both the assertive hops and the dark malts. Slightly acrid in true taste. Very dry. Aftertaste is bitter with some very deep roasted flavors commingling with the hops acidity. Not really a whole lot going on. Has a pretty unpleasant alcoholic aftertaste.

Mouth: Solidly medium bodied, but deep malts and high levels of hops make this beer seem dryer than it actually is. Because of this, perceived as thinner bodied as well. Carb is solid.

Home tasting, 12oz bottle into Tulip. 2/6/14.

I was able to try this beer at a tasting organized by Jeffo and Doopiedoopiedoo. Read some more about the tasting on my review of The Brewery - Black Tuesday.

A - A dark brown liquid with almost no head.

S - A nice hoppy scent.

T - Again hops and some choclate.

M - A low to medium carbonation and some real hop bitterness.

O - Quite a good porter, but it doesn't blow you right off your socks.

A: dark brown with a thin filmy head.
S: malty and yeasty with some coffee notes but nothing is very strong
T: again mild flavors chocolate malts coffe and hazelnut. The hops due add a unique bitter quality but nothing to special.
M/D: heavy and rough feel like it's not clean. Drinkability is ok definitely not my favorite nor will I purchase again.

Reviewed 3/24/2008 (bottle):

Pours a dark brownish, black color body. Has some head that's off-white, and somewhat lasting. Has an aroma of coffee, maltiness, some roasted elements roasted, some very dark chocolate. A coffee, roasted taste, somewhat watery. Some alcohol taste.

Appearance: dark brown, nearly black. ’Chunks’ of sediment floating in suspension. Pours with a 2" beige head that recedes slowly with moderate lacing.
Aroma: cocoa powder, coffee, citrus rind hops.
Mouthfeel: medium and slightly chewy with a dry finish.
Flavor: an echo of the aroma with cocoa, coffee, some carmel sweetness and a bold citrus rind bitterness that lingers in the finish.
Overall: Good, but not great.

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours dark dark brown, almost black and has a good head with nice retention and lacing.
Smells of light malts nothing like a strong porter.
Tastes really bland.. not a bad flavor by any means but lacking in some department, maybe if it is a bit warmer it will be nice.

Not my favorite. Not bad.

3.06/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Undated 12oz poured into a pint glass.

Deep dark brown with a head of tan that is tall and rocky. It really clings to the glass with tenacity. Lots of lace in its wake.

The nose is very hoppy for a porter. Roasted malts with a touch of cocoa powder underneath. The hops give it an herbal aroma that isn't bad, but for the style it is a bit weird.

The taste is a bit odd for style as well. The hops seem to set the whole thing off balance. They have an odd, almost off interaction with the other flavors. I get a sensation of something made with a splash of creme de menthe. The roasted flavors from the malt barely comes through. The cocoa is there but its all framed by the hops in a way that is not what I would expect from a porter. Dry finish with some lingering malt.

The mouth is a bit thin for the style. I'm glad I bought this as a single...I'll leave it at that.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

A: Very nice with an almost three finger, tan head and black body. Really dark with just the slightest red light coming though. But no active carbonation, and the head is fading fast.

S: Hoppy. Very hoppy. A citrus/floral blend I would say. Possibly a little centennial, but not a lot. A little malt, but a pretty basic profile that seems to work well. Deep wiffs though get smells i would compare to the beach and nail polish remover. odd.

T: More of that alcohol/beach/I don't know what flavor. Sort of like burnt chocolate. Oh this started so good but it just isn't doing anything for me now. There are no clear hop or malt tastes at all.

M: Smooth, with some fizz and only a hint of dryness.

D: Bleh, not any more for me. But I could see some people liking it.

Edit: looking at other reviews, particularly of people I usually agree with, this must be a bad bottle.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

I wanna say this was brewed to commemorate the achievements of Columbus, Vespucci, and their ilk, but I somehow doubt that was the case. Oh well. It pours a dark garnet-sienna topped by a half-finger of light sandstone foam. The nose comprises light roasted malts, dark chocolate, light onion, pine, and cedar. The taste does not deviate far from the smell, though thankfully the onion has dropped out, only to be replaced by a stronger pine character and some light orange peel. The body is a light-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I don't feel the hoppy-ness really jives with the porter qualities at all. It's just kind of a sad excuse for a black IPA with a smidge more roast. Not a fan, myself.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into standard pint glass.

A - Poured a deep amber color with a nice frothy head.

S - Nice malty smell. Maybe some chocolately fragrance.

T - First impression was a taste of coffee. The malt flavor is there.

M - Carbonation was medium with a bit of a tingle on the tongue.

D - I could have a couple of these. Sitting around telling stories with friends these would go over well.

3.09/5  rDev -20.4%

Appearance - Gorgeous - Dark brown liquid which appears clear, but so dark you can't see through it. Poured with a 1" thick creamy tan head, of which 1/2 inch was above the rim of the glass. The foam left great lacing all along the sides of the glass as it went down.

Smell - Roasty and sweet... a little bit of coffee and a little bit of pine.

Taste - Very bitter and roasty, a little ashy. I really like porters that have a depth of flavors. This beer has so much bitterness, it drowns everything else out. Maybe this would be more appealing after lots of aging.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium, with a bitter, dry finish.

Drinkability - Not as good as I had hoped. I would have preferred this more if it was less bitter and a lot smoother.

New World Porter from Avery Brewing Company