New World Porter - Avery Brewing Company

New World PorterNew World Porter

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New World Porter Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +19.5%

Pertinent Preliminary Comments: Many thanks to Beaver13 for turning me on to this beer – he didn’t buy this one for me, but the first one I ever had was due to his generosity, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge him for his good taste.

Avery hasn’t made a beer that I haven’t liked, and I’ll tip my hand – I’ve had this before, and it’s terrific. IIRC, this is a dry-hopped Porter… brilliant!

APPEARANCE: Translucent dark root beer brown. Head is ENORMOUS – half the beer is still in the bottle, awaiting its turn to be drank. Tight, firm bubbles… I might go take a walk while this settles down.

Okay… back. Only 2 inches left of this head, and the lacing left behind by the first inch is beautiful! Quite a sight.

AROMA: MMMMmmm… hops! What a pleasure to be able to SMELL them in a porter! Decent malt as well, but the hops certainly take center stage here.

FLAVOR: It’s quite odd for me to taste hops right off in a porter (forgive me – I’ve had so many porters over the last few months they were all beginning to taste the same), and this is a nice change. Every sip carries the tell-tale tongue-tip-tingling of a strong hop presence. Coffee and chocolate in the middle – nice balance – but this is a hop bomb (and I mean that in a good way). And why not?

MOUTHFEEL: Nice spiciness, medium weight, clean finish.

DRINKABILITY: This is a great late spring or early fall brew. I could see myself lifting a few of these on a brisk September evening out on someone’s deck in the mountains… as long as I’m not driving home afterwards; the 6.7% ABV is somewhat winding-mountain-road-driving prohibitive.

OVERALL COMMENTS: You know, this really doesn’t fit the style for a porter, what with all the hoppiness and such… and you know what else? I just don’t care. OUTSTANDING beer!

fretlessman71, May 12, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +19.5%

A brown creamy thick head rests on top of a deep brown to black beer. At first I get a fruity fresh hoppy aroma, then aromas of toasted bread, and roasted coffee kick in. The toasted aromas are quite wonderful. This is a thick full bodied porter. Taste of chocolate, toasted biscuits, and a full malt character. There is an aftertaste of burnt malt/ roast coffee. The hop flavor is quite good and quite interesting, with the present roasted notes it is quite hard to tell what types of hops are used, but they are quite noticeably there. The hops add an interesting zing to this tasty brew. This is a very well done beer, and it is quite tasty to boot.

Gueuzedude, Mar 08, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a bottle, solid black color with a nice light mocha colored head.

Lots of chocolate and sweetness on the nose, and something that I couldn't place. It had a candy bar type of sweet smell

When I took my first sip, I realized that the smell I couldn't place was the hops mixed with the malty esters. Lots of chocolate and a slight bit of coffee, followed by a lot of sweet hops with a little bit of citrus. Very tasty beer and very sessionable, I'll definitely seek this out again!

tbizzle0, Jul 15, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +19%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Deep amber red, chestnut color. When not touched by light it looks brown, but has the chestnut, red highlights throughout. Highlights look fairly clear A big tan head erupts with a hard pour and this beer produces some insanely good lacing. The froth clings to the beer for dear life!

Smell is exceptionally good. If every six pack beer could smell exactly like this, the world would be a wonderful place. Dark malts with slight hints of chocolate, and maybe some slight nuttiness. Well hopped, citrus dry-hopped. This smell would make any beer lover happy, very diverse.

The taste is completely on par with the smell. Dark malts, slight hints of bitter chocolate and hints of sweetness; similar to molasses or some glazed nuts. Toasted/roasted malt sweetness I guess. Also a good earthy/citrusy hoppiness to it. Overall it's big and bold, has a lot going on in every aspect of the flavor, while being extremely well balanced.

Mouthfeel is very good. Full bodied. Starts sweet and finishes clean and bitter. The strong flavors are well balanced and it it. The carbonation level is perfect. Did I mention well balanced??? This beer is extremely drinkable, literally perfect.

Big, bold and excellent, nice job Avery!

AndyAvalanche, Mar 10, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

I'm not a huge fan of porters, but Ed insisted that I just had to try this one last night. Thank you, Ed. I owe you a favor.

This beer arrived a typical porter opaque black color. What was really different about it was the head. about 2 inches of foam so dense and stiff, you could have sculpted it with a putty knife. I've never seen a head this dense and creamy on a porter without being a nitro tap (which this was not).

Smell was actually somewhat difficult to detect. I practically had to bury my nose in the foam to smell anything. I finally got traces of sweet carmelized malt but not much else.

The taste on other other hand was very upfront. This is one absolutely outstanding porter. Heavy sweet malt rolls around on the tongue for an extended period. Faint traces of coffee and fruit in the finish.

I'm amazed that this beer doesn't have a higher rating.
Absolutely outstanding.

oracle, Feb 23, 2005

-ABV: 6.7%
-Malts: Columbus, Fuggles

I guess Avery thinks the name New World Porter is a pretty clever play on the cliché phrase, new world order. I guess I do to, as it’s not only an old-style beer brewed in the new world, it’s also slightly unusual for a porter in that it’s dry-hopped. In my opinion, the resulting flavor actually does set it apart quite nicely.

The deep reddish-black body and long-lasting, sticky-lacing brown head set the stage for a standard porter experience, but mingled in with the strong coffee and unsweetened chocolate aroma is a big smack of what I thought were American hops. The Avery web page claims that this porter uses Columbus and Fuggles, and I bet this beer is dry hopped with the Fuggles, because that’s how I’d do it…. Still on first sniff, I thought it was Cascades…

A full, chocolaty-citric body also shows strong sub flavors of super-strong coffee, and burnt toast. It’s really a strange sensation to taste the expected porter flavors and to also taste such a pronounced hoppiness. I like the experimentation and I think it works well. This beer is dry, bitter, full, crisp, sweet, malty and citric all at the same time. Cool!

Nice beer—well done. I could drink a LOT of these. In fact, I think I’ll have another.

Update--after a few weeks and the depletion of my stash of New World Porter, I HAD to come back and bump up the score on this beer. I found myself thinking about it a lot--at work, while going to bed, while drinking other beers... The chocolatey, toasty maltiness and the big, pronounced hoppiness are just addictive. This is a REALLY good beer...

TXHops, May 01, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

This mahogany brew forms an elegant lace, and thick tan head. When it's in a well lit pint glass, there are pleasant hints of red in its depths. The complex appearance embodies an equally complex brew.

The aroma of vanilla, coffee, and mint is enticing, as are the flavors that blend coffee, chocolate and rich barley notes. The beer is neither exceptionally bitter, nor acrid. It is robust and full bodied, yet smooth, benefiting from a transparent yeast.

AllThingsNinja, Nov 14, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

Had this out at Buffalo Wild wings after work.

A - Black coffee brew with a one finger khaki head that reduces to a thick collar. A good swirl brings a full finger back.

S - Coffee, roasted grains, toast, and big floral hops. Dark and roasty with epic levels of hop for a porter.

T - Rich dark chocolate, espresso, and massive toasty grains. Again, lots of hops...the bottle says dry hopped, and It sure tastes like it! Nearly perfect. Reminds me of Boulevard Bully Porter in that it's really roasty and highly hopped for a porter.

M - Moderate pillowy carbonation with an extremely full body. Big and rich in the mouth, but tingly enough to be refreshing.

D - Just an outstanding porter. I love the dry, roasty, and hoppy flavors and the big full mouthfeel. This is really complex, but never overwhelming. I will surely have this again. Dangerously drinkable for such a big beer.

pmcadamis, Jun 02, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

Finally found another six pack of this here in Raleigh for the first time in six months. Loved it back then and still love it now. Avery boasts that what makes this porter different is that it's dry hopped. This is definitely evident in the aroma. Hops also are not shy in the taste as well. For a hophead like me, this beer is great for the winter months. If I want a dark beer on a cold night and am also in the mood for an IPA, I'll certainly look for this stuff.

atsprings, Jan 25, 2007
4.51/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
Appearance - black, though against the light a bit of mahogany is present. A mocha colored, marshmallow like head. Lace all over the glass!
Smell - sweet hop aroma, some chocolate brownie which is very nice!
Taste - very tasty, hop forward, but well balanced with the standard, but terrific malt backbone of the black ale style!
Feel - surprisingly light for the style and for the 6.7% ABV. Refreshing and a nice bitterness from the hops.
Overall - I love the style, and this is a fantastic representation and at a great price point!

DenverHopHead, Jan 04, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

pours dark dark brown almost pitch black with a huge tan head with small tight bubbles that had great retention and left lacing all down the glass

smells of fruity hops and roasted chocolate

taste - is great lots of hops - reminds me a little of alpha klaus - call me crazy but the combo of roasted chocolate caramel malt mixed with the fruit from the hops give it a blueberry flavor??

mouthfeel is a tad thin - light body decent carbonation very smooth and somewhat creamy

drinkability is out of this world - the body might be a little thin but that is ok because now i can drink multiple bottles

jsh420, Mar 11, 2011

SquidVicious, Feb 07, 2012

Huffaroma, Jan 31, 2012

jmint, Feb 18, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

12 fl oz brown bottle, served in a nonic.

A deep maple in color that is nearly opaque with a hue of ruby. A dense, coffee colored head that recedes from the outside-in, leaving an ice cream scoop of foam in the nonic's center. Ringed and cascading lacing that barely leaves a centimeter untouched on the glass' sides.

Deeply, roasted maltiness with bitter hints of dark chocolate, oats, and robust espresso. A lingering whaff of smoke that brings out a dry, nutty aroma with bittered coffee beans. Awesome!

Smoke with notes of cedar, reminiscent of a Rauchbier that prelude a rich and robust malt character. Bitter dark chocolate, espresso, and off hints of dark caramel. The hop presence is rather aggressive with pine and spruce flavors. Following a moderate bitterness is an espresso and cedar-smoked aftertaste.

Full bodied; a great balance of such intense flavors. Despite the richness, this Porter has a remarkably smooth mouthfeel.

What intense flavors and balance! Probably fits the Baltic Porter style, more than an American Porter, but I can't deduct points for that. Impressive on nearly every front.

NEhophead, Jan 23, 2007