New World Porter - Avery Brewing Company

New World PorterNew World Porter

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New World Porter Alström Bros

MacStinson, Feb 22, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Served in a Delirium Tremens snifter.

A: Well, I got maybe a tinge of ruby over in one corner I glass (I think), but the rest of this was abysmally dark. The head was a very pretty mocha color that clung to the glass on the way down.

S: I actually got more chocolate milk than actual roast here, but once I set my mind to it, I was able to detect some char. Lots of dark malt and chocolate was also present.

T: Lots of flavor here! I definitely get lots of roast on the taste side of the house, as well as a nice, bitter, raw cacao component. I got the bitterness on the mid-palate section, in fact. The finish was actually smooth and silky.

M: Thick and creamy, like a good porter should be, with ever the slightest hint of booze. Also, there was quite a hop component to this, and it was almost as if there was some chocolate-covered grapefruit embedded in there.

O: I thought this was an outstanding representation of the style and one of the better porters I've tried here recently. Avery continues to impress me.

Chaney, Feb 21, 2012

mechanicalprints, Feb 21, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Tjizzel, Feb 20, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Dark brown, thin light brown head with fair retention

S - Chocolate and herbal scents, very appeasing!

T - Dry roasted malts and sweet coffee chocolate undertones. As other users are saying the hop profile on this one makes it unique, and I do not find it dis-satisfying.

M - Medium body that leaves my mouth a bit tingly. Cannot say I am the biggest fan for in a porter I expect something quite different.

O - Overall this is good beer that I would recommend to others. It is a very unique porter and does some things I feel some people would really enjoy. Given the wide selection of craft beers at present day I feel that one could do better to find more "classically" defined porter.

mscudder, Feb 19, 2012

jskennedy, Feb 19, 2012

Braseltonage, Feb 18, 2012

Jamstone714, Feb 18, 2012

BlackBelt5112203, Feb 18, 2012

elec, Feb 18, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Pours a very deep brown color with a finger's worth of head. Aroma is roasty and chocolatey with some citrus and earthy hops. The taste is very good, with a nice amount of hop flavor joining the roast party. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and fairly well carbonated, and the drinkability is good. One of the hoppier porters I've had, and went great with the beef stew I paired this with.

shand, Feb 18, 2012

Telestic, Feb 16, 2012

kiki3drt292, Feb 15, 2012

jwmarcum, Feb 15, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance:
Dark brown color. Small tan head. Lacing looks awesome on the glass.

Aroma:
Citrus fruit, piney, black licorice.

Taste:
IPA-like hoppiness up front, mostly citrus and piney. Dark fruit, smoked wood, black licorice, burnt caramel. Dry-crisp finish.

Body:
Very smooth. Oily. Tangy. Well carbonated.

mjurney, Feb 12, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Served from a bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance – pours a VERY dark brown (not quite black) – with a chocolaty essence – light caramel colored head, but very little of it, and disappates quickly

Smell – chocolate is the first thing that I notice, along with a general sense of Earth – dirt/herbs/mint

Taste – obviously, chocolate and malts make themselves very apparent, also one of the rare occasions where the earthy/dirt smell actually come through in the taste (I know the idea of dirt taste isn’t appealing, but trust me, this is delicious).

Mouthfeel – very nice. Smooth, drinkable, moderate carbonation but not overwhelming. The alcohol level hovers around 6.5%, and is another element that is very apparent. Not quite as masked as other brews I’ve had, but not overpowering or imposing

Overall - not quite a porter, but a very nice black IPA. Flavors work well together, high drinkability – not super original or unique, but I will buy this again.

fatmusic14, Feb 11, 2012

shelby415, Feb 11, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

this may by far be the hoppiest US porter I've come across in my short life. not knowing a thing about it, never having known Avery produced a porter, i ordered a glass knowing it would probably be, at worst, not bad. and it wasn't bad at all!

to sum it up:

very dark, almost totally black liquid. perhaps a bit of mocha color to the head, though it wasn't poured with much on it. subsequent swirls didn't show a ton of gas.

mellow coffee and not quite so mellow chocolate malt aromas and flavor - the chocolate comes across a touch sweet while the beer has a uncommon degree of strange malty compactness to the body, helping give it mass, putting a little weight on the tongue.

my, is it hoppy though! i wouldn't say it's terribly but merely moderately, noticeably bitter - thankfully well balanced by the malt flavors. probably has some of the most relatively intense hop flavor though in a dark ale in this alcohol range. spruce-piney, for sure.

i'm guessing that the lack of head and its parallel subtle watery quality to the body had something to do with a gas line malfunction/improper setting. who knows? regardless, a pretty respectable offering from Avery.

Bouleboubier, Feb 11, 2012

matt062286, Feb 10, 2012

jwhancher, Feb 10, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured into a Southern Tier tulip-style glass. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours black with just the tiniest bit of light peeking through. Has nearly two fingers worth of off-white head that has excellent retention and lace.

S- Musty malt nose that's also nutty. Has a substantial hop aroma as well.

T- Yeah, definitely very hoppy for a porter. Wait, what's this on the label? "A pioneer black IPA"? Which is it? Porter or Black IPA? I'm gonna go with Black IPA since there's definitely a higher bitterness in it than any porter I've had. However, there's a sweetness to the roasted malts that is more characteristic of a porter. I don't know whether to be amazed or confused.

M- Equal parts creamy and prickly. The confusion continues. Medium carbonation.

O- Whatever it is, porter or IPA, it's great and that's what matters. I usually take away points for not being true to style, but I feel like Avery's well aware of what they've created in this case.

Immortale25, Feb 10, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

So is this a porter or a black ipa? The 6 pack states it to be both. Anyways, pours a dark brown with a beige head that decides to leave before I can even put the glass down. Aroma is bold, very hoppy, I get the black ipa tag. Smells like orange coffee kind of. As much as I would hate orange coffee, I like this smell. An earthy coffee taste at first, followed by some sugar coated orange and bitter hops, closes out with some roasted malt and chocolate. Mouthfeel really works for this porter, thinnish with some decent carbonation. This is a very good porter but, I must admit, the citric component to the flavor kinda is a deal breaker for me, much in the way it is in black ipa's. Everything else about this is really good though.

denver10, Feb 09, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass; no freshness dating on the bottle or label. Dark brown, nearly black body and very carbonated. More than a two-finger tan head and good lacing.

Not what I expected in the aroma. An earthy hop aroma comes through first, followed by the roasted malt.

The flavor follows the aroma and, upon further inspection, the label calls this a Pioneer Black IPA. I get that because this does not remind me of a porter at all. The roasted malt takes a serious back seat to the earthy, grassy hops. Only small notes of the malt characteristics come through, like a hint of chocolate.

Medium mouthfeel and no real notice of the alcohol. I'm not too enamored with this beer because it doesn't do enough to be a good porter or enough to be a good black IPA.

FanofHefe, Feb 08, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance is very dark brown with a tan head and lacing that never entirely fade.

Nose is roasted, but also fresh from the hops. There is also a dry tartness.

Taste is simple, dry-roasted. It has an excellent, sweet caramel note. The hops provide a slight pucker at the finish.

Mouthfeel is superbly dry. Carbonation is medium-mild. Despite its dryness, it is very refreshing.

Overall, this beer's roastiness is almost flawless, and is very drinkable despite its pleasant dryness. The taste isn't complex, but solid.

dorianmarley, Feb 08, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Black with a touch of light coming through the edges. One
finger tan head with good retention and and lacing.

S: A weird combination of chocolate roasted malts and floral
hops. Smells a tad like throw-up.

T: Chocolate and toffee upfront. Again the weird hop profile
comes through, like floral and pine but the roasted malts
really mess with it. Bitterness is mild.

M: Medium light body. Medium carbonation. A touch dry.

O: Not my cup of tea. The hops and malt do not work together in this one.

doughanson78, Feb 08, 2012