Quinquepartite - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.91% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-12-2010

"No. 5 in our Barrel-Aged Series. Brewery release only. 60 cases shared. 27 hoarded. This beer consists of: 37% Ale aged in Cabernet Savignon barrels, 25% Ale aged in Chardonnay barrels, 21% Ale aged in Port barrels and 17% Ale aged in Zinfandel barrels."
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 73 | Reviews: 35
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

No. 5 in the Avery barrel series.
Aged in cabernet, chardonnay, zinfandel, and port barrels.
Bottled May 6, 2010. Only 97 cases produced.
Brewed with brett, pedio, and lacto.

Pours a redish caramel body with a white head.

Aromas of port soaked cherry, brown sugar, and chardonnay.

So nuch more going on with this beer than with Depuceleuse. It honestly does taste like 4 sours were aged in different wine barrels and blended. So many layers of flavor. All these little nuances from the different barrels. Fruit, wine, oak and brett come together to form a fremarkable beer.

Rich body with an amazing finish. Like licking a stave from a used wine barrel.

This could be one of Avery's best beer and that is saying something. One of my favorite beers from one of my favorite breweries.

4.48/5  rDev +9%

A huge thanks to Popkas (Jason) for throwing this beer in as an extra!

I was very surprised by this pour, as I have had sours of lesser strength not hold up as well as this did in the glass. I had a nice, white, frothy head and the lacing was superb.

Right away, I picked up the usual barnyard-like funk that many sour beers like this have in common. It also had a faint citrusy zest. Is this beer really this strong? I get no sense of the alcohol in the smell or the taste. Upon my first sip, I really picked up on a strong red wine characteristic, which only got more interesting and complex as the beer warmed. I am pleasantly surprised with this beer, and so happy that Jason added this as an extra to our trade. This is certainly one of the finer American Wild Ales I have tried yet

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Another gem provided by jale. Jim has a gift for finding some elusive things. The label states that 37% is aged in cabernet sauvignon barrels, 25% in chardonnay, 21% in port, and 17% in zinfandel.

This pours a dark orange copper, really hazy, with a thick crown that lowers at a rate detectable on a human scale. Slightly awesome looking while the foam existed.

It smells much much better than I expected, horseblanket and funk, some non-citrus fruit like apples and pears. I am impressed. As it warms the acidity seems more pronounced in the aroma. The taste follows the smell, a very good wild but I can't catch the complexities that should come from all the barrels. I'd have liked the chance to try each barrel independently, but in the aggregate it comes across as a pleasant wild ale.

It happens that we opened this after a ton of world class sours (J&J Blauw, 3F Oude Gueuze, 50N4E, even Veritas 8...), and I'm completely honest when I say that this was not the worst of the bunch.

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A 12oz bottle poured into a souvenir glass. Enjoyed with Adam Avery at his Adam Avery Experience at the Buckeye Beer Engine during Cleveland Beer Week 2010.

This was the "rarest" beer Adam brought out with him as less than 1000 bottles made it to the general public. The name of this beer (Quinquepartite) means 'something divided into five parts'. I know Adam chose that name because it is the fifth release in the series, but I have a better meaning: I, like all beer raters, always review my beers based of appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability. So, here's my Quinquepartite review of Quinquepartite! The beer is a nice amber color with a white head. It looks a bit more appealing than the other two barrel aged beers I have it next to. Some gold and orange highlights around the edges of the glass and a nice white head leave me thinking this is a great looking American Wild, especially on that is almost 10% ABV.

The beer smells great! Tart sourness and chardonnay grapes jump out along with some port and black grapes. There are notes of lemon, cherry, orange and strawberry. A nice touch of wood adds some earthiness and slight tannins to the mix. There's also a slight presence of lactobacillus bacteria, giving a sour edge, as well as pediococcus bacteria, which lends a touch of butterscotch to the mix. The malt is sweet but is buried in a sea of wine barrel, fruity esters, and funky organisms.

This beer tastes simply amazing. If I had to describe it in one phrase it would be: sour woody wine. What I mean is that the beer has four huge, distinct wine barrel aged elements as the base. The mastery of the blend here is unparalleled. I can taste the buttery Chardonnay hints, the Port wine's dark dried fruit and spice, the plum and cherry from the Cabernet and the spicy kick of the Zinfandel. The wood comes into play next, with some great tannins and touches of oak, spice, and vanillin. Finally, the sour element from the bacteria brings in hints of sour cherry and tart lemon. This is so complex and so well executed. One of the best examples of multi-dimensional flavor in an American Wild Ale I've ever experienced.

The beer has low carbonation which leads to a lightly sticky sensation in-between sips. But the body never becomes syrupy and the beer is enjoyable to sip. There is no hint of alcohol, as the complex wood and sour tastes that linger cover up any booze. I'd happily drink this beer again and I'm actually going to try to find a bottle or two to share with wine-drinking family members. A world class barrel aged beer from Avery's Basement!

4.44/5  rDev +8%

A - Poured out a reddish color with golden highlights. It had a thick, bubbly, white head of foam. It left some sudsy rings of lace.

S - Ahhh, Brett! Great funky, barnyard/horse blanket aroma. You could smell the sour.

T - This is a great sour ale. Great funkiness and yeastiness. The barrel aging mellows out some of the tartness. There is a muted caramel sweetness.

M - It was crisp and sharp with a puckering bite. A medium bodied ale with a warm alcohol presence.

D - This is a really good wild ale. No surprise that Avery nailed another rare brew.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

A huge thanks to tjmodica for sharing a bottle with me.

A: Pours a beautiful hazed reddish/orange color. At first a two finger white head forms quickly, and recedes in a minute. Some patchy lace is left behind. The color is stunning though.
S: Bretty funky up front. Yeast and a distinct horse blanket aroma. As this warms up lots of tart cherries, pears, and apples come out that are awesome. Some vinous grape character as well. A light acidic aroma with some toasted biscuit. Really well balanced and all around excellent.
T: Plenty of funky yeast and Brett that one would expect. Some tart cherries and vinous grapes. Light acidic qualities and some toasted malt. Not as complex as the nose, but still really good.
M/D: A medium body that is perfectly crisp, dry, and refreshing. So smooth at the same time. Very textured. There is just a touch of heat up front. Though incredibly easy and smooth to drink. I can finish this in no time, but I want to savor every drop.

An excellent beer. So many complexities and nuances. It is not overly sour or acidic at all, which makes for a really well balanced and well made Wild Ale. Another hit from Avery's Barrel-Aged Series. Highly recommended if you can find it.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Pours cloudy orange with a real nice white one finger head. A little dash of lacing in there with some decent retention

S: There the sour for sure. The funky aged vinegar with some grassy notes and some grapefruit like tartness. making my mouth salivate.

T: Its not the sourest beer but my mouth gets a bomb of tartness which i want. has a lot of i guess maybe the chardonnay grassy character with a pronounced brett sour. Lots of tannins are overpowering the port barrel which is trying to poke its head out. has a lemon citrus taste after a few sips and a green grape presence

M: Carbonation is really done well with this one. my mouth gets really dried out which is expected so my palate is working hard.

D: I really dont get any alcohol in this, its pretty much just sour. I know there are beers that are more sour but I will have to say its got a great punch. Each sip I keep getting some new flavors so its fun to try to pick out something new. I think it might be a little more sour than the sui generis but a little more fruity. I cant choose which is better so thats a good thing in my book.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into a tasting glass. Big thanks to Bman1113VR.

Murky dark golden body with a one finger white head. Dies down to a this layer of foam on top. Leaving some good lacing behind.

Initially all I could get in the nose was horse blanket. As the beer opened up I get some fruit like oranges and citrusy notes.

The taste is horse blanket, orange jam, citrusy orange zest, spicy oak, and a nice hit of vanilla. Really citrusy, surprisingly with a nice bit of acidity.

The mouthfeel has a nice mid range body, and the carbonation keeps it light and a bit dry.

The alcohol is barley noticeable. It's a really interesting and tasty beer. Surprising amounts of citrus.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle pour served in a tulip glass

A - Light gold, little head, decent lacing

S - Funky diapers = goodness

T - Sour yeasts and light fruits --> sparkling wine mixed with sweet malts and a touch of bourbon --> sour & slightly spicy finish; very nice

M - Medium-bodied, effervescent, awesome carb

D - I'd drink too many of these given the opportunity...very drinkable.

4.26/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to GRG1313 for gifting me this one.

Bottled 5/6/10.

Pours a murky dark orange with a foamy tan head that settles to wisps film on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour and tart with grain, wine, wood, and acidic aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet and sour grain and fruit flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer that is super sour and tasty.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

reviewed from notes.

a - light golden in color. white head.

s - nose is very sour and funky. smells like wet hay.

t - damn sour. like lemon zest.

m - light body with good carbonation. rips my tounge.

overall - very nice beer. I'd love to have this again especially with some age on it.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to buddy Mitch for providing me with this.

This is a relatively new style for me, but one that I am growing very fond of!

Pours a very hazy amber yellow into a tulip glass with an initial head of half an inch, with a quarter inch remaining. Nice lacing.

Aroma is intriguing, with some tart apples, just a slight funkiness, a bit of port wine and some oak.

Taste is very nice. Slightly tart, but not much funk. Hints of chardonnay and red wine. Slightly metallic finish.

Mouthfeel is fairly light and dry. Nicely carbonated to keep it refreshing. Alcohol very well hidden. Works well on a hot summer day.

Overall, I am a fan. I think this is a good beer to introduce to people who may not have had sours before. Would like to see this make the regular rotation!

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottle at the Brick Store.

Pours a clear golden-amber color with a two-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of light malts with robust citrus - lemon zest and hints of grapefruit. Also present are large chardonnay undertones with harsher oak lurking even further beneath. Slight amounts of funk and grassy aromas waft in and out, intensifying as the beer warms.

Tastes similar to how it smells although a bit more one-dimensional. Light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by hints of funk and white grapes. Midway through the sip moderate amounts of light citrus and slight grassy flavors make an appearance before fading out into a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I recently had a beer fermented with Brett C and for my first few sips I got a good deal of the crisp and zesty citrus that I got with that beer. As I took more sips the citrus became less sharp and allowed the barrel influence to shine more. A tasty beer that should age nicely but is worth a shot now if you're interested.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a bottle that was obtained through waltonc, thanks again. A golden yellow, fairly transparent with no sediment, with a light topping of fine bubbles at the edges. It is a still beer, with no visible signs of active carbonation.

The smell runs the gambit from brett funkiness, pineapple, lemonade, some biscuity malty undertones, sour cherries, orange rind, and a slight bit of medinciney phenols mixed with faint all spice. The aroma has a certain weight to it and is delicious.

The taste is actually a bit more focused and reminds me more of a syrupy lemonade with some brett musti/tartness mixed with granny smith apples. A sour-bitter bite at the back of the throat dries things out a bit.

Very light carbonation, but for the style works perfectly. Overall this is a really tasty beer and I look forward to seeing how this ages.

There were some forum comments regarding this beer and Avery Voltron (that they might be the same beer). From what I remember at last year's Bistro festival, this is very different than Voltron - much less wine-like and lactic. Also much better in my opinion.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Many thanks to Forgetfu for the hook up on this bottle. Missed the release.

Pours a golden orange with a nice beige head. Nose has oak, red and white wine, tart fruits and barnyard funk. Taste is not super sour, but well balanced with good depth of flavors. Medium body has a dry finish. Bit over carbonated. One of the better of the series.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

A- hazy amber in color, white thin head, looks of a barrel aged brew.

S - slightly sour with hints of green apple, wood, and something i cant quite place. also a hint of grassy hops and lemon zest.

T - Medium sourness with good balance of malt and oak to balance it out. tannins prob form the cab barrels, but overall a pretty well balanced sour ale. you can taste the blend of all the different barrels with the Chardonnay sticking out the most.

m - mouthfeel is dry with lightly prickly carbonation,

D - Like most sour ales i have tried, I would not want to drink more than one or two a night, but being only moderately sour I could easily put down a bottle of this.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle courtesy of jale. Served in a Savor snifter.

Pours a nice golden color with a white head and a touch of lacing as it moves slowly down the glass. Aroma is quite nice and complex. There is some definite sourness along with some lemon zest, funk, and a great mount of mixed barrel character. I would say that the win notes are the most prevalent, but everything gets a turn. Some light stone-fruit character eventually emerges as well.

The taste is not quite as good as the nose. Some of the sublties are less pronounced and the acidic and funky portions of the brew come more to the front, though this still tastes quite good. The feel is likewise well above par with a nice lactic character and a beautiful finish. This is a really nice beer to finish off toward the end of the night. Thanks again, Jim.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a Matilda glass. Good active carbonation noted, bright amber color.

Good deal of Brettanomyces in the nose right now, rather horsey and barnyard urine-ish. It does open up somewhat beyond that, though, giving way to a minor citrus note that almost makes me think hops. Yeah, now I get a little orange rind and clove. Nearly a potpourri-type aroma now. Warming further, I get full-on wine, no bones about it, albeit wine with a bit of a Brett infection.

Taste is vinous, as you would expect, and bright. It has more of a bright acidity to it, whereas Brabant, by contrast, tastes like a dark thorny bush with cobwebs. Tart up front, but really doesn't build to the level of sour that you expect it might. I can't pick out the various wine barrels used here, but the fermented grape influence is certainly apparent. Fairly Brett-y, but not overwhelmingly so. I think I like this "sour" *because* it achieves a certain balance. It's a tad too strong at almost 10%, but then again, I can't really taste the alcohol, so I guess that's not going to be a terrible complaint this time. There's a certain thickness here, though, that I think is indicative of the alcohol content. Tasty, but I think I feel compelled to knock both the taste and mouthfeel down from 4.5 to 4 because of this.

Not too much of a knock, though. This is still excellent beer. I'd just rather it come in at around 7%.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a nice amber golden colour with a good amount of white head. Smells pretty darn sour. Lote of fruit on the nose as well. Presumably from the port barrels. Tstes very sour. Some nice sweetness from the wine barrels. Im not sure it has the complexity that it would with 5 different barrels. Definitely a lot going on. Petty tasty for a sour. Solid carbonation on the tongue. Almost syrupy and thick. A pretty solid and interesting sour

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle courtesy of belgbeerdrinker. Served in a Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Three fingers of orange-tinged foam that lingers indefinitely, leaving stick glass-coating lace. Opaque cider-like orange-brown color, with some tiny bubbles streams visible at the bottom of the glass.

S - Intense wood character, some dill, buttery Chardonnay oak, lactic sourness, light nostril-tingling acetic white wine vinegar, and sweet tropical fruits from the brett.

T - Taste is more tart and sour, with a green apple, vinous flavors, and a tannic finish. There's a faint toffee malt backbone from whatever the base beer(s) was. As it warms I get some pineapple brett flavors, as well as lactic sourness, buttery oak, and a faint dill flavor as well.

M - Tingly high carbonation, medium-full body that is actually appropriate for the listed ABV - no obvious alcohol though. Finishes largely sticky but with some tannins as well.

D - Judging from other reviews it seems the alcohol has dropped out quite a bit in the last six months. I had no problem putting down a 12oz on my own (my wife had a little bit too) and I would love to have this one again at some point. It's like a better version of Allagash Vagabond in some ways. My second-favorite offering from the Avery barrel-aged series behind Sui Generis.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottled on May 6, 2010. 97 Cases produced. Served from bottle into a Delirium Tremens snifter. Poured a hazy red-orange with a two finger bone white head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, slight oak, and slight fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, slight funk, cherries, and slight oak. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew was quite excellent. All of the characteristics in this one were very nice and spot-on. The sour and tart notes were what made this beer so appealing to me. The aroma was also quite good and very inviting. A definite must try if you have the chance.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Really? I'm going to be the one to add this beer?

Thanks to Richard for sharing this one tonight. A rare -bal aged wild ale is always one I'm willing to tick.

A: The pour is a sort of hazy amberish color with a nice rocky off-white head to it.

S: I immediately pick out the chardonnay notes from this beer, but that may be because I love Temptation and know all too well what that smell is. Lots of nice grape notes along with a definite sweetness. Almost like a slightly tart sangria.

T: While I can still really pick out the chardonnay, there's a definite port character to this beer. A bit of oxidation, which lends a touch of chocolate which works well with the sweet fruit character. Not overly tart, but a nice lactic sourness and a earthy, yeasty note.

M: The body is nothing out of the ordinary, definitely medium, with a moderate carbonation. Not quite as dry as I prefer my wild beers.

D: After Sui Generis, probably my favorite in the barrel aged beer releases from Avery. A really complex beer that should hold up quite well in the cellar.

4.11/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to urbancaver on this wonderful spring afternoon.

A-yellow amber in color with white head
S-very sour and funky. This style gets me every time
T-sour and funky yet very smooth and delicious. Cherry flavors stand out the most
M-sweet and smootj
D-very drinkable and funky. Like it a lot

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Pours a lightly clouded, orange-yellow body with a wispy, white head.

Smell: Judiciously funky nose, neither subtle nor overblown, with a pressing leathery and horseblanket aspect and supporting notes of dried bitter citrus peels, vanilla, and still-damp wine barrels.

Taste: Meager bready barley maltiness slides into dusty, leathery tones. IV-style drip of tart cherry juice cut with mineral water, white wine, and a generous splash of cracklingly acidic "Matt's Gasline Lemonade". Slightly creamy, tannic oakiness. Quin swings both acetic and lactic throughout the taste. Drying, warming, and with a sprightly carbonation on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-high, effervescent carbonation.

Drinkability: It's a pleasant American-born wild ale. Give it a try if you happen to come across one of the scant few bottles out there.

Thanks to Nellie for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is tart oranges with some oaked notes. The flavor is tart cherries, oak and red wine. I don't get much funk in the beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very good sour beer.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »