Quinquepartite - Avery Brewing Company

QuinquepartiteQuinquepartite

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.91% ABV

"No. 5 in our Barrel-Aged Series. Brewery release only. 60 cases shared. 27 hoarded. This beer consists of: 37% Ale aged in Cabernet Savignon barrels, 25% Ale aged in Chardonnay barrels, 21% Ale aged in Port barrels and 17% Ale aged in Zinfandel barrels."

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-12-2010)
4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

reviewed from notes.

a - light golden in color. white head.

s - nose is very sour and funky. smells like wet hay.

t - damn sour. like lemon zest.

m - light body with good carbonation. rips my tounge.

overall - very nice beer. I'd love to have this again especially with some age on it.

levifunk, Nov 15, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Many thanks to Forgetfu for the hook up on this bottle. Missed the release.

Pours a golden orange with a nice beige head. Nose has oak, red and white wine, tart fruits and barnyard funk. Taste is not super sour, but well balanced with good depth of flavors. Medium body has a dry finish. Bit over carbonated. One of the better of the series.

rye726, Nov 11, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle pour served in a tulip glass

A - Light gold, little head, decent lacing

S - Funky diapers = goodness

T - Sour yeasts and light fruits --> sparkling wine mixed with sweet malts and a touch of bourbon --> sour & slightly spicy finish; very nice

M - Medium-bodied, effervescent, awesome carb

D - I'd drink too many of these given the opportunity...very drinkable.

klikger, Nov 06, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A 12oz bottle poured into a souvenir glass. Enjoyed with Adam Avery at his Adam Avery Experience at the Buckeye Beer Engine during Cleveland Beer Week 2010.

This was the "rarest" beer Adam brought out with him as less than 1000 bottles made it to the general public. The name of this beer (Quinquepartite) means 'something divided into five parts'. I know Adam chose that name because it is the fifth release in the series, but I have a better meaning: I, like all beer raters, always review my beers based of appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability. So, here's my Quinquepartite review of Quinquepartite! The beer is a nice amber color with a white head. It looks a bit more appealing than the other two barrel aged beers I have it next to. Some gold and orange highlights around the edges of the glass and a nice white head leave me thinking this is a great looking American Wild, especially on that is almost 10% ABV.

The beer smells great! Tart sourness and chardonnay grapes jump out along with some port and black grapes. There are notes of lemon, cherry, orange and strawberry. A nice touch of wood adds some earthiness and slight tannins to the mix. There's also a slight presence of lactobacillus bacteria, giving a sour edge, as well as pediococcus bacteria, which lends a touch of butterscotch to the mix. The malt is sweet but is buried in a sea of wine barrel, fruity esters, and funky organisms.

This beer tastes simply amazing. If I had to describe it in one phrase it would be: sour woody wine. What I mean is that the beer has four huge, distinct wine barrel aged elements as the base. The mastery of the blend here is unparalleled. I can taste the buttery Chardonnay hints, the Port wine's dark dried fruit and spice, the plum and cherry from the Cabernet and the spicy kick of the Zinfandel. The wood comes into play next, with some great tannins and touches of oak, spice, and vanillin. Finally, the sour element from the bacteria brings in hints of sour cherry and tart lemon. This is so complex and so well executed. One of the best examples of multi-dimensional flavor in an American Wild Ale I've ever experienced.

The beer has low carbonation which leads to a lightly sticky sensation in-between sips. But the body never becomes syrupy and the beer is enjoyable to sip. There is no hint of alcohol, as the complex wood and sour tastes that linger cover up any booze. I'd happily drink this beer again and I'm actually going to try to find a bottle or two to share with wine-drinking family members. A world class barrel aged beer from Avery's Basement!

jampics2, Oct 26, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

A huge thanks to tjmodica for sharing a bottle with me.

A: Pours a beautiful hazed reddish/orange color. At first a two finger white head forms quickly, and recedes in a minute. Some patchy lace is left behind. The color is stunning though.
S: Bretty funky up front. Yeast and a distinct horse blanket aroma. As this warms up lots of tart cherries, pears, and apples come out that are awesome. Some vinous grape character as well. A light acidic aroma with some toasted biscuit. Really well balanced and all around excellent.
T: Plenty of funky yeast and Brett that one would expect. Some tart cherries and vinous grapes. Light acidic qualities and some toasted malt. Not as complex as the nose, but still really good.
M/D: A medium body that is perfectly crisp, dry, and refreshing. So smooth at the same time. Very textured. There is just a touch of heat up front. Though incredibly easy and smooth to drink. I can finish this in no time, but I want to savor every drop.

An excellent beer. So many complexities and nuances. It is not overly sour or acidic at all, which makes for a really well balanced and well made Wild Ale. Another hit from Avery's Barrel-Aged Series. Highly recommended if you can find it.

champ103, Oct 25, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Poured out a reddish color with golden highlights. It had a thick, bubbly, white head of foam. It left some sudsy rings of lace.

S - Ahhh, Brett! Great funky, barnyard/horse blanket aroma. You could smell the sour.

T - This is a great sour ale. Great funkiness and yeastiness. The barrel aging mellows out some of the tartness. There is a muted caramel sweetness.

M - It was crisp and sharp with a puckering bite. A medium bodied ale with a warm alcohol presence.

D - This is a really good wild ale. No surprise that Avery nailed another rare brew.

zeff80, Oct 21, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours a lovely dirty orange. Excellent frothy, cloudy head and lacing.

Zesty citrus and funk. Orange peel, lemon and earthy bits. Smells VERY sour.

Taste is very complex sour goodness. Not as sour as I had anticipated but still good. Lots of earthiness in this one, floral bits too. Powerful cranberry/grapefruit finish. After a while, I get diacetyl flavors, too much buttery confusion; not sure if this is intended, but the taste is less than amazing.

The barrel ageing adds an oaky dimension. The mouthfeel is a bit too frothy/bubbly however for my taste.

A very interesting brew, glad I had the opportunity to try it. Though I don't think it's something I would pick up regularly.

ptykozoon, Oct 10, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

No. 5 in the Avery barrel series.
Aged in cabernet, chardonnay, zinfandel, and port barrels.
Bottled May 6, 2010. Only 97 cases produced.
Brewed with brett, pedio, and lacto.

Pours a redish caramel body with a white head.

Aromas of port soaked cherry, brown sugar, and chardonnay.

So nuch more going on with this beer than with Depuceleuse. It honestly does taste like 4 sours were aged in different wine barrels and blended. So many layers of flavor. All these little nuances from the different barrels. Fruit, wine, oak and brett come together to form a fremarkable beer.

Rich body with an amazing finish. Like licking a stave from a used wine barrel.

This could be one of Avery's best beer and that is saying something. One of my favorite beers from one of my favorite breweries.

BradLikesBrew, Sep 29, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

A huge thanks to Popkas (Jason) for throwing this beer in as an extra!

I was very surprised by this pour, as I have had sours of lesser strength not hold up as well as this did in the glass. I had a nice, white, frothy head and the lacing was superb.

Right away, I picked up the usual barnyard-like funk that many sour beers like this have in common. It also had a faint citrusy zest. Is this beer really this strong? I get no sense of the alcohol in the smell or the taste. Upon my first sip, I really picked up on a strong red wine characteristic, which only got more interesting and complex as the beer warmed. I am pleasantly surprised with this beer, and so happy that Jason added this as an extra to our trade. This is certainly one of the finer American Wild Ales I have tried yet

DeutschesBier, Sep 24, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a Matilda glass. Good active carbonation noted, bright amber color.

Good deal of Brettanomyces in the nose right now, rather horsey and barnyard urine-ish. It does open up somewhat beyond that, though, giving way to a minor citrus note that almost makes me think hops. Yeah, now I get a little orange rind and clove. Nearly a potpourri-type aroma now. Warming further, I get full-on wine, no bones about it, albeit wine with a bit of a Brett infection.

Taste is vinous, as you would expect, and bright. It has more of a bright acidity to it, whereas Brabant, by contrast, tastes like a dark thorny bush with cobwebs. Tart up front, but really doesn't build to the level of sour that you expect it might. I can't pick out the various wine barrels used here, but the fermented grape influence is certainly apparent. Fairly Brett-y, but not overwhelmingly so. I think I like this "sour" *because* it achieves a certain balance. It's a tad too strong at almost 10%, but then again, I can't really taste the alcohol, so I guess that's not going to be a terrible complaint this time. There's a certain thickness here, though, that I think is indicative of the alcohol content. Tasty, but I think I feel compelled to knock both the taste and mouthfeel down from 4.5 to 4 because of this.

Not too much of a knock, though. This is still excellent beer. I'd just rather it come in at around 7%.

Patrick999, Sep 23, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a tasting glass. Big thanks to Bman1113VR.

Murky dark golden body with a one finger white head. Dies down to a this layer of foam on top. Leaving some good lacing behind.

Initially all I could get in the nose was horse blanket. As the beer opened up I get some fruit like oranges and citrusy notes.

The taste is horse blanket, orange jam, citrusy orange zest, spicy oak, and a nice hit of vanilla. Really citrusy, surprisingly with a nice bit of acidity.

The mouthfeel has a nice mid range body, and the carbonation keeps it light and a bit dry.

The alcohol is barley noticeable. It's a really interesting and tasty beer. Surprising amounts of citrus.

billshmeinke, Sep 18, 2010

Thanks to Nellie for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is tart oranges with some oaked notes. The flavor is tart cherries, oak and red wine. I don't get much funk in the beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very good sour beer.

Mora2000, Sep 02, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rare and -bal aged? This is going to be good.

Amber hued, a bit muddy and hazy, this looks decent.

Buttery chardonnay barrels are the first thing I pick up on the nose, or maybe it's diacetyl? It also has a red wine character, tart cherries, ripe strawberries. Smells both acetic and lactic, mildly so. Not bad.

Taste is decent, very vinous with buttery oak, red wine, strawberries and balsamic vinaigrette. Alcohol is fairly noticeable, but not harsh. Full-bodied, a bit flabby maybe. Finishes vinous and boozy with moderate tannins. Not a bad little beer, about on par with Avery's other wild ales.

largadeer, Sep 01, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to buddy Mitch for providing me with this.

This is a relatively new style for me, but one that I am growing very fond of!

Pours a very hazy amber yellow into a tulip glass with an initial head of half an inch, with a quarter inch remaining. Nice lacing.

Aroma is intriguing, with some tart apples, just a slight funkiness, a bit of port wine and some oak.

Taste is very nice. Slightly tart, but not much funk. Hints of chardonnay and red wine. Slightly metallic finish.

Mouthfeel is fairly light and dry. Nicely carbonated to keep it refreshing. Alcohol very well hidden. Works well on a hot summer day.

Overall, I am a fan. I think this is a good beer to introduce to people who may not have had sours before. Would like to see this make the regular rotation!

doppelmeup, Aug 22, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a deep golden color, with a nice fluffy white head on top. Nice tartness on the nose, with sour cherries, lemons, light vanilla and brett. The tartness becomes more pronounced as it warms, with lemonade, chardonnay, grapes and a bit of funk. Nothing earth-shattering here, but a pretty decent beer.

emmasdad, Aug 21, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a bottle that was obtained through waltonc, thanks again. A golden yellow, fairly transparent with no sediment, with a light topping of fine bubbles at the edges. It is a still beer, with no visible signs of active carbonation.

The smell runs the gambit from brett funkiness, pineapple, lemonade, some biscuity malty undertones, sour cherries, orange rind, and a slight bit of medinciney phenols mixed with faint all spice. The aroma has a certain weight to it and is delicious.

The taste is actually a bit more focused and reminds me more of a syrupy lemonade with some brett musti/tartness mixed with granny smith apples. A sour-bitter bite at the back of the throat dries things out a bit.

Very light carbonation, but for the style works perfectly. Overall this is a really tasty beer and I look forward to seeing how this ages.

There were some forum comments regarding this beer and Avery Voltron (that they might be the same beer). From what I remember at last year's Bistro festival, this is very different than Voltron - much less wine-like and lactic. Also much better in my opinion.

JoeySchlitz, Aug 20, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

A- hazy amber in color, white thin head, looks of a barrel aged brew.

S - slightly sour with hints of green apple, wood, and something i cant quite place. also a hint of grassy hops and lemon zest.

T - Medium sourness with good balance of malt and oak to balance it out. tannins prob form the cab barrels, but overall a pretty well balanced sour ale. you can taste the blend of all the different barrels with the Chardonnay sticking out the most.

m - mouthfeel is dry with lightly prickly carbonation,

D - Like most sour ales i have tried, I would not want to drink more than one or two a night, but being only moderately sour I could easily put down a bottle of this.

seniorcleaver, Aug 13, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Pours cloudy orange with a real nice white one finger head. A little dash of lacing in there with some decent retention

S: There the sour for sure. The funky aged vinegar with some grassy notes and some grapefruit like tartness. making my mouth salivate.

T: Its not the sourest beer but my mouth gets a bomb of tartness which i want. has a lot of i guess maybe the chardonnay grassy character with a pronounced brett sour. Lots of tannins are overpowering the port barrel which is trying to poke its head out. has a lemon citrus taste after a few sips and a green grape presence

M: Carbonation is really done well with this one. my mouth gets really dried out which is expected so my palate is working hard.

D: I really dont get any alcohol in this, its pretty much just sour. I know there are beers that are more sour but I will have to say its got a great punch. Each sip I keep getting some new flavors so its fun to try to pick out something new. I think it might be a little more sour than the sui generis but a little more fruity. I cant choose which is better so thats a good thing in my book.

chefmikeanderson, Aug 13, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer pours a murky golden, light brown. Almost like a dirty martini, but with a bit-denser-than-soapy bubbles head.
A busy aroma going on here. Sweet and sour go for balance here with the sour winning by a slight edge. For a sour beer, this one isn't all that strong, but the other aromas give it salience. Chardonnay and Zin is what I get mostly from the nose.
The taste offers the port a bit more feeling from the cab barrels. Tannins come into play here and a soft, overripe pear fruitiness forms the flavor cornerstone.
This is a good sour for me. It's not a mouth-puckerer, but not bland either. The mixing of the wine barrels is interesting and gives it something more than just 'hey, I'm sour'.
Nice offering. Not sure if it will age well, though.

Mebuzzard, Aug 12, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Really? I'm going to be the one to add this beer?

Thanks to Richard for sharing this one tonight. A rare -bal aged wild ale is always one I'm willing to tick.

A: The pour is a sort of hazy amberish color with a nice rocky off-white head to it.

S: I immediately pick out the chardonnay notes from this beer, but that may be because I love Temptation and know all too well what that smell is. Lots of nice grape notes along with a definite sweetness. Almost like a slightly tart sangria.

T: While I can still really pick out the chardonnay, there's a definite port character to this beer. A bit of oxidation, which lends a touch of chocolate which works well with the sweet fruit character. Not overly tart, but a nice lactic sourness and a earthy, yeasty note.

M: The body is nothing out of the ordinary, definitely medium, with a moderate carbonation. Not quite as dry as I prefer my wild beers.

D: After Sui Generis, probably my favorite in the barrel aged beer releases from Avery. A really complex beer that should hold up quite well in the cellar.

womencantsail, Aug 12, 2010