Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  16.73% ABV

Availability: Fall

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010)
Reviews by russwbeck:
3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Sept. 17, 2012 Bottling. Enjoyed the day before the 2011 vintage.

A: The beer pours out of the bottle the most ridiculous color of orange I have ever seen. It rests in the glass almost brown, viscous as hell, and with an orange-tinted head. The head is nothing more than a few bubbles and hangs out for only a fleeting second. It just looks like a big beer. 4.5

S: The aroma is strangely muted. Spices, definitely some rum, and the pumpkin mostly. The alcohol is hot and dominates the other aromas. I guess I expected the pumpkin and rum to attack me right off the bat, but this seems to be a more blended, less aggressive aroma. 3

T: The taste is really focused on the rum. In fact, I'd almost say the rum is cut with pumpkin. There seems to be another factor adding thickness here, which I'll call molasses because the beer is really sweet. Spices rest on the backend, both from the beer and the rum barrel. The pumpkin really presents itself throughout the entire taste, attempting to compete with the rum when it reality it only plays second fiddle. The finish is all rum and vanilla and the beer warms you as you drink. I do like the beer despite it's over-the-top ruminess. I'm impressed that pumpkin can play on this level, but I'm afraid it isn't quite good enough to make this a top notch offering.

MF: The beer actually burns on the way down, which although I've had a good number of very high ABV beers, I can't say I'm used to. The body is thick and heavy, coating the mouth with rum and spice. The size of this beer makes the drinkability a bit lower than it could be. The alcohol just takes you over. 3.5

O: This beer quite literally warms my soul. I thought the fresh version was hot (something I remember when I had this on tap last year), so I'm excited to see what happened to the bottle I held on to for a year. If you can find this, buy it, and experience it. I doubt you'll regret it. 4

Oct. 2011 Bottling.

A: The body has gotten much darker, and the bright orange appearance that so struck me before has turned into more of a sludge amber with a white head. The body is much more clear than the 2012 version. As before, the bubbly head doesn't stick around that long at all. A ton of crap has built up at the bottom of the bottle, which I didn't pour into my glass. I can't stress enough that they look like different beers. 3.5

S: The pumpkin asserts itself much more, with the spices underneath. The rum plays well here and the booze is as strong as ever at the finish. I'm actually a little surprised the alcohol hasn't been cut a bit more, it's still almost burning my nostrils. 3

T: I'll say this right up front, the taste is significantly better. I'd say the best pumpkin beer I've had to this point. The balance, finally, is noticeable and MUCH appreciated. The sweetness is still big, and the caramel seems to be much stronger than any pumpkin. The rum and alcohol play big parts here, but as I said it's actually balanced. The spices are gone. Big malt finish and I appreciate the beer not burning on the way down. 5

MF: Thinner body with more carbonation. The drinkability is much higher because of the balance and lower level of noticeable alcohol. I still feel the 18.1% ABV after I'm about halfway through the bottle, however. 4

O: Huge improvement. I actually wish I had another bottle to hold onto for a few year. My guess is this will only continue to get better. I absolutely recommend you age this over drinking it fresh. Having had it fresh on tap and in the bottle, this is much better. 4.5

The Rumpkin is perfect beer. Can barely call it beer, it closer to liquid Valhalla! You laugh, but don't. Rum barrel have made BAJM do jizz before, but never such like this. So good, almost run out of jizz!!!!!??!!!

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

A delight of a desert beer, designed and crafted very well for the cooler Autumn season.

Rumkin pours with a lightly carbonated mohogany redish-brown color and good clarity. Early froathy head formation eventually falters underneath the weight of alcohol and savory sweetness.

Spiced rum hits the nose with a mellow and rich scent. Elements of molassas, toasty, light chocolate, and pumkin pie spice round out the rum/barrel woodiness very well. Very appetizing and mouth watering.

Even more intense is the flavor; where the Porter-ish flaovor of toast, chocolate, nutty, and coffee flavors apply the initial flavor. Sweet rum flavor develops the Porter flavors into more congac and port wine richness and layers. Chocolate and pumpkin pie linger into the long and sweet finish and give a lasting impression in the aftertaste.

Rich, oily and weighted- Rumkin drinks much like a well aged Barleywine with a silky smooth sweet feel. No dryness or fleeting progression, this beer doesn't need it, Rumkin is a desert all to itself.

Surprisingly, the beer's own sweetness develops its into layers upon layers of complexity and substitutes balance very well. Savory and succulent throughout.

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch 1 (bottled 10/5/11) and 3 (bottled 9/8/13) tasted side-by-side

Appearance: Pours a clear copper color and, of course, the younger beer has better head retention, at first, but both heads fritter away after about 30 seconds; not surprising, given the ABV

Smell: The rum is much more apparent in the younger version as is the spicing, but the older version has more depth of pumpkin aromatics

Taste: The pie spice, caramel sweetness and rum pounce on the tastebuds in the younger version but the older version is more mellow, bringing a complex melding of the spices, the rum and the pumpkin; a lot of warmth in the gullet from the younger version bursts forward and interrupts the flavor development while the complexity builds in its older sibling, with the warmth in that one settling deep in the belly

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low carbonation and plenty of boozy warmth

Overall: Not sure why this beer has to have such a high ABV but it was very interesting to sample these two beers side by side; at first, I thought the younger version far superior as it forced itself upon the palate; after a few sips, I found myself returning again and again to the older version as it only revealed its complexity with the passage of time

Thanks, RuckusDu, for the 2013 version and I cannot recall the source of the older bottle but thanks go out to whomever shared it with me if indeed I got it from a trade

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Blue Palms Brewhouse in Los Angeles, CA as part of their Jingle Bell Jubilee.

Pours a murky orange-brown with a 1/2 inch tan head that settles to a film on the top of the beer. Random dots of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, spices, pumpkin, rum, and wood. A very nice barrel aged aroma on this one. Taste is of malt, sugar and spice (cinnamon and the like), graham crackers, rum, and wood. The pumpkin is there but very subtle in my opinion. This beer has a nice level of carbonation with crisp and sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a great pumpkin beer that turned out extremely well with the rum barrel aging.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle share at Proof courtesy of scotchzi. Opaque orangey amber. Zero head, but who cares? Aroma reminds me of hot cider: spice (cinnamon, clove) sweet almost burnt sugar, and pumpkin replaces the apple, but there is a touch of baked apple too. Taste is very similar, but a warm spiced rum comes through too. Thin-medium body with almost no carbonation; but who cares? Extremely well thought out brew, and yummy as hell. Maybe my new favorite pumpkin?

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Thanks to barzigkin for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy orange color with no real head. The aroma has a lot of pumpkin pie spices in it, as well as some rum notes. I get some cinnamon and allspice most predominantly. The flavor is similar. I get some big pumpkin notes, as well as some cinnamon, allspice and cloves. There is also a good dose of oak and a ton of rum character. The beer is very boozy and fairly sweet. Medium to thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%