2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

RumpkinRumpkin

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  18.53% ABV

Availability: Fall

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 552 | Reviews: 174 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by russwbeck:
russwbeck

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Sept. 17, 2012 Bottling. Enjoyed the day before the 2011 vintage.

A: The beer pours out of the bottle the most ridiculous color of orange I have ever seen. It rests in the glass almost brown, viscous as hell, and with an orange-tinted head. The head is nothing more than a few bubbles and hangs out for only a fleeting second. It just looks like a big beer. 4.5

S: The aroma is strangely muted. Spices, definitely some rum, and the pumpkin mostly. The alcohol is hot and dominates the other aromas. I guess I expected the pumpkin and rum to attack me right off the bat, but this seems to be a more blended, less aggressive aroma. 3

T: The taste is really focused on the rum. In fact, I'd almost say the rum is cut with pumpkin. There seems to be another factor adding thickness here, which I'll call molasses because the beer is really sweet. Spices rest on the backend, both from the beer and the rum barrel. The pumpkin really presents itself throughout the entire taste, attempting to compete with the rum when it reality it only plays second fiddle. The finish is all rum and vanilla and the beer warms you as you drink. I do like the beer despite it's over-the-top ruminess. I'm impressed that pumpkin can play on this level, but I'm afraid it isn't quite good enough to make this a top notch offering.

MF: The beer actually burns on the way down, which although I've had a good number of very high ABV beers, I can't say I'm used to. The body is thick and heavy, coating the mouth with rum and spice. The size of this beer makes the drinkability a bit lower than it could be. The alcohol just takes you over. 3.5

O: This beer quite literally warms my soul. I thought the fresh version was hot (something I remember when I had this on tap last year), so I'm excited to see what happened to the bottle I held on to for a year. If you can find this, buy it, and experience it. I doubt you'll regret it. 4

Oct. 2011 Bottling.

A: The body has gotten much darker, and the bright orange appearance that so struck me before has turned into more of a sludge amber with a white head. The body is much more clear than the 2012 version. As before, the bubbly head doesn't stick around that long at all. A ton of crap has built up at the bottom of the bottle, which I didn't pour into my glass. I can't stress enough that they look like different beers. 3.5

S: The pumpkin asserts itself much more, with the spices underneath. The rum plays well here and the booze is as strong as ever at the finish. I'm actually a little surprised the alcohol hasn't been cut a bit more, it's still almost burning my nostrils. 3

T: I'll say this right up front, the taste is significantly better. I'd say the best pumpkin beer I've had to this point. The balance, finally, is noticeable and MUCH appreciated. The sweetness is still big, and the caramel seems to be much stronger than any pumpkin. The rum and alcohol play big parts here, but as I said it's actually balanced. The spices are gone. Big malt finish and I appreciate the beer not burning on the way down. 5

MF: Thinner body with more carbonation. The drinkability is much higher because of the balance and lower level of noticeable alcohol. I still feel the 18.1% ABV after I'm about halfway through the bottle, however. 4

O: Huge improvement. I actually wish I had another bottle to hold onto for a few year. My guess is this will only continue to get better. I absolutely recommend you age this over drinking it fresh. Having had it fresh on tap and in the bottle, this is much better. 4.5

11-29-2012 00:09:06 | More by russwbeck
KYGunner

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It seems appropriate that a Pumpkin Ale would have a Pumpkin orange color but this has a beaming glow of pumpkin. The head is a touch thin as it collared with a bubbly fizz.

The aroma is spicy, i.e. cinnamon, nutmeg, peppercorn, anise and all spice, with enough gourd to make it pleasing. The rum barrel adds nice subtle tones of oak and sweet liquor.

The flavors truly expand as this warms. The pumpkin really drives the backbone as the spices compliment the taste. I catch the cinnamon and nutmeg but it blends with the malty gourd. The rum barrel further adds to flavor and the distilled sugar cane adds a tangy sweetness.

The feel is light but has a bit of alcohol harshness. There is a touch of spicy tang but the beer has a true fullness.

I'm fully impressed with this beer and found that it truly responded to warmth. It has a lot of complexity and is very delicious.

04-23-2014 01:52:33 | More by KYGunner
barczar

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a slightly hazy deep copper/amber with minimal khaki head that dissipates to nothing.

Rum and pumpkin dominate the aroma, with strong accents of booze, vanilla, and alcohol esters adding complexity. There's a note of sherry contrasting the rummy sweetness.

Extremely sweet, reminiscent of pumpkin pie initially. Underpinnings of rum, clove, and vanilla are not subtle! There's a muted dark fruit character that adds complexity to the sugary pumpkin onslaught. The finish is surprisingly dry and a touch oaky, exposing a squash backbone. Alcohol esters are a bit fusel and solventy.

Body is thick and syrupy, with modest carbonation and significant alcohol burn.

Definitely sweet, the sugary pumpkin and rum mingle well together. Esters balance nicely, keeping the beer drinkable.

04-22-2014 21:49:45 | More by barczar

03-05-2014 22:16:12 | More by Flowsauthentic
PaulyB83

3.76/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled on Sept. 6 2013. 18.53% ABV.

A- Small creme caramel head that quickly dissipated to nothing. Deep garnet with a small degree of clarity, can see the shadow of my finger through the glass. Sticks to the glass like a spirit. Some fine particles in the glass, could be yeast, pumpkin, or spices.

S- Lots and lots of caramelized sugars followed by some mellow spices of cinnamon, mace and allspice, some vanilla and a light pumpkin mellowness. The alcohol is present but not nearly to the degree I thought this 18% beer would be.

T- Similar to the aroma. Very, very sweet, one of the sweetest beers I've had. Caramelized sugars, marshmallow, lots of rum raisin, the ABV comes on more in the taste can definitely tell this is a strong beer. The spices a there at a nice balanced level. Slight burn as it goes down the throat. Some vanilla and wood from the barrel on the end.

M- Heavy mouthfeel, a definite sipper.

O- This beer is very sweet, a bit too sweet for me to finish one bottle by myself, should have split this with someone. It took me about 2 hours to drink the thing. After a while thought it really grew on me, maybe I was just getting drunk. An interesting beer that I'm really going back and forth on a lot of aspects of the flavor but ultimately it's just too sweet for me to really find it outstanding, and I generally love sweet beers like Wee Heavys and English Barleywines.

03-02-2014 06:37:57 | More by PaulyB83
ToddHolder

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle. Enjoyed this on Thanksgiving Day with a slice of pecan pie and also pumpkin pie. Poured a dark amber color with minimal head. Smells incredible, spiced rum, spices, caramel, malt. Tastes-Whoa! The high ABV is not hidden at all but still has amazing flavors. Pumpkin? Pretty subtle. Spiced rum dominates. Finishes hot. I shared the bottle which was a good idea. Perfect end to a huge Thanksgiving day meal and paired very well with dessert.

02-28-2014 21:25:36 | More by ToddHolder