1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

RumpkinRumpkin

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  18.53% ABV

Availability: Fall

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 547 | Reviews: 172 | Show All Ratings:
FeDUBBELFIST

1.3/5  rDev -68%

8oz draft pour served in a slender tulip for $8. Sampled 12/16/11.

Per the menu, "this beer is breed with pumpkin puree and a blend of 5 spices...aged in extremely fresh Gosling's rum barrels for 6 months..."

A: Pours a completely opaque, very dark amber color with ruby highlights along the glass's edge. Less than 1 finger of head on the pour which is light tan in color and quick to disappear. While a solid collar remains, lacing is unlikely. And it is.

S: After many intriguing sniffs, I'm unsure if the aroma is decent or detestable. Big pumpkin puree aroma with sopping wet dark fruit standing in uncut dark rum. The autumnal spices play the background more than expected, which is the only positive I find in the nose. Ultimately, I've decided this beer is not for me. And the longer the beer sits - the more offensive it becomes. Pumpkin beers are clearly not suited for stratospheric levels of alcohol.

T: Sickly sweet. The malty sweetness is just too big for the flavor profile. The caramel component is abrasively strong and adds unnecessarily to the already-too-prominent flavors of toffee and butterscotch. These flavors linger long, overstaying their welcome for minutes after each sip. Someone get me a glass of water. Somebody else: Light me up a cigarette.

M: The mouthfeel is actually decent. Adequate carbonation. Gently fizzy...but still cloyingly sweet. The rum barrel is less significant on the palate - mainly showing up on the backend - where it leads to an entirely unpleasant finish. Way too hot. Attenuation seems low.

O: I planned on Rumpkin being my last beer of the night, but that wouldn't have been fair to myself or my palate. So I sent back what remained in the glass and ordered something that I could enjoy.

03-10-2012 12:37:00 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
Siriusfisherman

Montana

1.73/5  rDev -57.4%

I had a bottle with a someone a couple nights ago, hands down the worst tasting beer I have ever had. I see lots of people giving this beer good reviews and I can only think that I got a bad bottle.
It looked fine, but it smelled and tasted like someone poured a glass of rum and a punch of rotten, fermented pumpkin in my ale. I could not stand anymore than three sips, it was horrid and I had a terrible stomach ache all night. I am very disappointed with avery, I know that they didn't intend for this to happen and it was a mishap, but if a beer is that expensive I expect it to be done properly. I don't want this to be taken as a bashing of avery, I just wanted to log my experience of this beer and hopefully make people aware that there may have been a bad barrel or two.

12-29-2011 17:12:31 | More by Siriusfisherman
champ103

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

On tap at Rudyard's in Houston.

A: Pours a clear burnt orange color. No head forms and no lace. Looks pretty lifeless.
S: An odd mix of peppery spice, pumpkin bread, and lots of alcohol.
T: Again lots of spicy flavors. Pumpkin and tons of alcohol. Fusel ethanol like alcohol. Plenty of sweetness as well. Actually, pretty much just sweetness and alcohol burn. I am not enjoying this.
M/D: A medium to full body. Low on the carbonation that is heavy and sticky. Really hard to drink. Way to much fusel alcohol.

I did not enjoy this. To much alcohol and nothing else really mixes well. I would not recommend this. I love Avery, but this is a big miss.

12-31-2010 03:28:53 | More by champ103
stumac

2.35/5  rDev -42.1%

Just watched I Heart Huckabees. Epic movie yet so humble in its honest and easy truth. Easy truth about the complexities of life. Any fart, this beer started out huge. Big pumpkin aroma and flavor. Some molasses. Spicy alcohol. Little hop profile. Then it immediately became a Dogfish 120. Not quite a Mephistopheles but almost a Samael. Dusty profile. Huge alcohol taste. One dimensional. Just heavy booze. Then it hit me. The complexities in this brew are buried beneath the dominate alcohol. So subtle but very real. Just like I Heart Huckabees, this beer is real life. Great at first, redundant inbetween, and a real eye opener in the end. Oh and it is crimson in color. Just like the other rum beer I've had in this series (The Black Tot) I think it's waaayyyy too boozy. Go fudge yourself Avery. Fudge away...

01-29-2013 05:20:42 | More by stumac
billab914

2.53/5  rDev -37.7%

12oz bottle into my Stone IRS glass. It poured a caramel brown color with a thin white head sticking to the edges of the glass.

The aroma shows a lot of the rum flavors to it. I get some woody notes mixing with the earthy pumpkin pie, nutmeg and allspice flavors. Lots of sweet, sugary and boozy flavors coming though in it.

The taste is very boozy and sweet. I get a sugary sweet maltiness mixing with the rum booziness and a little pumpkin pie spice in the finish. The sweet, sugary maltiness is just way too overdone in it for me making it almost undrinkable.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being below average. Overall I didn't really care for it. It was cloyingly sweet with too much boozy rum showing through. The pumpkin beer flavors just seemed completely hidden and overshadowed to me. Not an enjoyable beer for me at all.

12-10-2011 02:49:46 | More by billab914
zeledonia

2.64/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled 7 September 2012. Tasted 6 September 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours an orange brown color. Clear at the top, murky at the bottom from the sediment. Just a little bit of off-white head.

Basically smells like rum, with a little bit of spice and a little bit of pumpkin. It's like sweet, candied rum. And alcohol. I tend not to drink hard liquor, so I can find its character overpowering. But this is another level.

Taste is... alcohol. It's burning, and I can barely get past it. Doesn't have enough flavor to contend with that unmasked alcohol. A touch of pumpkin and spice, but it's like pumpkin flavored rum rather than pumpkin pie. Yes, I know it's a high-ABV beer, but it's so one-dimensional.

Feel is good. Medium-bodied, with a buoyancy that the evaporative alcohol provides. Carbonation is medium-low, but that's okay for a beer like this.

Just doesn't do it for me. It's super alcoholic, and more rum beer than pumpkin beer for sure. I'm buzzed just from my share of this 12 oz. bottle. Yikes, this is potent. Not a whole lot of positive flavors, and a serious alcohol burn. Not one I'd drink again, and I struggled to finish off the bottle with my friend (who said it seemed more appropriate for drinking down by the railroad tracks).

10-28-2013 20:09:34 | More by zeledonia
TenHornsProud

2.7/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a cloudy orange/red/burgundy with a small brown head that quickly dissipates.

Smell is rum, caramel, sweet oxidized notes, cherry, booze, and oak barrel. Good, typical barrel aged smell.

Taste is up front rum and cherry/sherry that fades into a hint of spice and sweetness and ends on an absolutely sweet and absolutely boozy note. A real boozy mess if ever there was one. The barrel notes are nice but the booze character takes over everything.

Heavy body with low carbonation, and cloyingly sweet.

I wanted to like this beer but it is too boozy and too sweet. These aspects take over any subtle other flavors that might appear. Maybe with age this will settle some, but it's hard to imagine it getting much better with the sweetness as high as it is. I get the appeal, but a rare miss from Avery for me.

12-28-2011 23:38:08 | More by TenHornsProud
spdyfire83

Ireland

2.73/5  rDev -32.8%

283rd Review
12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass
Vintage: 2011 (bottled: 5 Oct. 2011) – 15.8%

From notes. Enjoyed a while back and just getting around to notes now.

A: Organish tannish brownish amberish; you get the point. Single (light mocha) fingernail head on gentle pour.

S: Loads of booze from the get-go here; mainly rum (go figure!). Diced pumpkin and butternut squash follow as well as soft touch of cinnamon, all spice, and vanilla. Booze dominates and almost distract.

T: Big. Bold. Bad. Booziness is a bit too much for this beer as rum is noticeable (and dominant) start to finish. Mix of pumpkin and light spice dances in the middle with vanilla notes towards the end. Again, mostly just booze. I feel like a broken record.

M: Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation.

O: I didn’t like this beer as much as I thought I would. I love pumpkin beers, but the booziness is distracting to me. Not sure the process to sit this on rum barrels, but I’d be curious to know if there’s any way to cut the ABV a bit to optimize the flavour profile of this a bit more. It has potential at a lower ABV to be good (the autumn pumpkin spice notes are nice and well executed when not hidden), but again just too boozy.

11-08-2012 12:51:13 | More by spdyfire83
perrymarcus

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
bottled oct 11, 2011

nose is rich, sweet, and malty with notes of rum, spice, and booze.

flavor is hugely sweet and malty... and boozy; cloyingly sweet, in fact, all of which in my opinion overshadow it's other characteristics (spice, pumpkin, molasses, a little vanilla). medium-full on the palate with average carbonation.

overall, just way too sweet and boozy for my taste, although i can see where it might be appealing to others. disappointing (especially considering it's $12.95 price point).

12-20-2011 03:57:45 | More by perrymarcus
BostonHops

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
bottled oct 11, 2011

pours a deep, dark amber tone while yielding a short-lived 3/4" head; a bit of patchy lacing evident. nose is rich, sweet, and malty with notes of rum, spice, and booze. for better or worse you know this one will be something else.

flavor is hugely sweet and malty... and boozy; cloyingly sweet, in fact, all of which in my opinion overshadow it's other characteristics (spice, pumpkin, molasses, a little vanilla - which are discernible, just eclipsed). medium-full on the palate with average carbonation.

overall, just way too sweet and boozy for my taste, although i can see where it might be appealing to others. i like bold pumpkins but this just didn't work for me. disappointing (especially considering it's $12.95 price point).

(originally reviewed: 12-20-2011)

06-22-2012 23:17:13 | More by BostonHops
ragoins

2.76/5  rDev -32%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from 12 oz. bottle at Common Table. Much more rum beer than pumpkin beer in smell and especially taste. Smooth mouthfeel for such high alcohol content. Sweetness masked any alcohol burn for me - however the sweetness grew to a nearly intolerable level before the bottle was halfway finished. Glad to have tried this one, but far, far too sweet to order again.

11-06-2013 21:04:04 | More by ragoins
Arbitrator

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at the Bistro barrel-aged fest.

A: Pours a deep orange-honey colored body with good clarity and a nice head. Decent retention with some lace.

S: This beer is intense on the nose. The rum barrel really stands out. Lots of rum, vanilla, oak, brown sugar, nutmeg on the nose.

T: This is horribly, horribly sweet. Cloying, really. Rum, vanilla, brown sugar. The only things that fight the flavor a little bit are the oak and a touch of nutmeg and/or cinnamon. Just the same, it fills that small need in me to have sickly-sweet things around holiday time (and holiday time only) -- then I can spend the rest of the year convincing myself they were awesome. Candy corn falls in this category. Candy corn and Rumpkin. Anyway, it's not the worst pumpkin beer I've had, but 2 oz is all you need, really.

M: Full-bodied. Very sticky, sweet flavors. Could clean up better. I prefer my pumpkin beers to be pie-like but fairly clean in flavor, not syrupy.

O: I was told by some other patrons to leave this "palate-wrecker" toward the end. I was skeptical; how badly could this wreck a palate at a BARREL AGED BEER FEST? Turns out, quite badly. A very sweet beer.

11-14-2011 03:37:15 | More by Arbitrator
Thorpe429

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

On tap at Rustico - Alexandria.

Pours a moderate brownish color with a bit of an orange tint to it. There's some light lacing after a single-finger head dies down. The nose is pretty boozy, but at the same time it works with the brown sugar and dark rum character in addition to plenty of pumpkin spicing. Everything is well integrated and though it's boozy, the rum notes work well with the pumpkin and spicing, so I don't have anything to complain about.

The taste goes quite a ways downhill as the intricate rum characteristics are overlaid with all too much booze. Just really, really heavy on the alcohol here. There is some spicing there as well. The feel takes it even lower, as there is nothing there but booze. Pretty heavy body. Drinkability isn't all that high given the excessive booze. It's a shame that the booze took this one over. I wish this were in bottles so I could lay one down for a year to see what happens.

12-09-2010 02:43:53 | More by Thorpe429
trxxpaxxs

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

Got this from 2beerornot2beer in the Blind Beer Round 6 BIF.12oz. bottle poured into my Wild Heaven snifter:

A: Pours a murky brown with big hues of red. There is about a half finger of khaki colored head that settles quickly into a thing ring that hugs the edges of the glass.

S: This beer is big on booze (possibly barrel treatment), but yet smells kind of like a band-aid. There is a definite astringency to this beer. There are scents of big malts, a little vinegar, and dash of sea-weed. This beer isn’t for me.

T: This beer is sweet and syrupy right up front. But that quickly changes into a ton of boozy and a touch of tartness. It’s a bit sour. God damn, this beer has to be high in ABV. The finish is a mix of all three major players: the booze, the sweet malt, and whatever is making it tart.

M: Full bodied beer. This beer is sticky, chewy, and totally cloying. The flavors envelop the palate and hold on for dear life.

O: This beer just isn’t doing it for me. It’s seems like a barleywine or an old ale that is just starting to turn into a sour mess.

01-06-2012 23:09:22 | More by trxxpaxxs
mulder1010

Australia

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

From notes: Had on tap at Avery. 5 oz taster

A-- Poured an opaque ruby color, no head at all, small layer of film. Just a few small carbonation bubbles.

S-- All spice, Nutmeg, pumpkin and rum. ABV is well hidden for a high ABV beer.

T-- Dark rum, all spice, nutmeg, and pumpkin. Very sweet and a lot of alcohol.

M-- This was tingly, thick and syrupy. Very sweet and a lot of alcohol. Was told Goslings rum barrels were used for it. Could easily taste that though.

D-- Taster was more than enough. Great nose but after that not much great about it. More like rum and very sweet I thought. Too syrupy and not a huge fan of rum. Had to try it though.

12-01-2010 05:04:11 | More by mulder1010
denver10

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a burnt dark orange/bronze with absolutely zero head. Aroma has a ton of heat to it; dominated by the rum with some pumpkin and spices hiding underneath. Flavor too is dominated by the heat, it lets you know its 18% but the other flavors are more prevalent in the flavor, some pumpkin, spices, and a nice thick sugary vanilla.. Mouthfeel is nice, fuller with little activity. Overall, I was hoping for a little more from this than it delivered. Avery usually does an amazing job disguising the ABV in these beers but here all 18% definitely showed itself. I would have liked the pumpkin and spices to have been more assertive to help balance things out.

10-14-2012 02:46:49 | More by denver10
ThePaleRider

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm just not really sure how to describe what I was tasting. Was like drinking a really thick, mulled cider. Lots of rum, cloves, cinnamon, and alcohol burn. Not very smooth and I don't really feel like the flavors complimented each other. Glad I was given the opportunity to try this, but don't really feel l need another. Possibly would be better with aging.

02-03-2014 21:01:27 | More by ThePaleRider
slackerlack

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Brown, dark copper color. Clear. No head.

S - Smells like a mix of spiced rum, pumpkin, and alcohol.

T - Sweet pumpkin alcohol. Tastes more like a mild liquor than a beer to me.

D - This one will warm you up fast. It is not very refreshing due to the high alcohol content. This would be a substitution for hard liquor in my opinion.

02-04-2011 04:58:07 | More by slackerlack
TMoney2591

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Never thought this one would be found on my local shelves, but, hey, I'm not gonna argue. It pours a sunset tawn' topped by a half-finger of cream-tan foam. The nose comprises spiced rum, extra brown sugar, light oak, vanilla bean, and caramel. A heavy spike of booze keeps full enjoyment at bay. The taste follows pretty closely, with the rum getting all up-close-and-personal with my tastebuds. The spices and vanilla bean are strong as well. There's pretty much no trace of any pumpkin, save the residual spices that get lost in the pre-existing spice forest in the rum. And, once again, the booze is more than present. The body is a stolid medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a thick, syrupy feel. Overall, this was too much of a rum bomb to be fully enjoyable. If you like spiced rum, you'll love this stuff. It's not bad enough to be considered bad, but nothing I would really feel comfortable calling truly good.

01-02-2012 05:34:12 | More by TMoney2591
PatrickSwayze

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Pours a beautiful dark amber that is clear and bright with little to no head

S: Incredibly bold on the nose with  plenty of spice, a lingering cinnamon from the pumpkin puree, and molasses like sugar.

T: Im not to big into pumpkin ales but i had to jump at the opportunity to try this barrel aged attempt. Quite thick with low carbonation and huge flavor explosion reminiscent of  nutmeg. A little all spice with lingering cinnamon and really mild rum characteristics.

M: Pretty thick and syrupy but not overwhelming kind of like mephistopheles.

O: Soo this is a good offering. Nice and complex but prolly should of split it with a friend to compare notes with. I dig it but wish it was a little drier and wish it i could taste more of the wood and rum

05-03-2012 04:10:02 | More by PatrickSwayze
Alieniloquium

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Firestone Walker snifter. Bottled October 5, 2011. Labeled 15.90% ABV. Trying to get rid of bottles in my "cellar," but this one isn't in my catalog. Just found it back there. Hate when that happens. It's like it doesn't even count.

Appearance - Burnt orange to deep ruby body. Ample head as I pour it, but it's short lived. Collar sticks around a while. Sediment floats about the glass.

Smell - I can smell the rum from the initial crack of the cap. Spiced rum. Further inspection reveals a deep molasses sweetness and a ton of booze. Reminiscent of a rum barreled English barleywine.

Taste - Smooth sweet caramel and rum. Maybe some pumpkin there, definitely the spices associated. Cinnamon and nutmeg. All that stuff. After the initial flavors, an oaky dry boozy wave of alcohol hits. Sharp flavors sting the tongue. It settles to a lingering sugar flavor. The flavors aren't bad, but the alcohol is killer.

Mouthfeel - The blast of booze in the middle makes it very difficult to drink. Initial flavor is good, but the knowledge that the second wave of flavor will hit is fearsome.

Overall - I doubt I'm going to be able to finish this. I figured I could handle the 12 oz. bottle, but this is intense. Not really worth the flavors it provides.

11-20-2012 01:34:16 | More by Alieniloquium
xnicknj

3.25/5  rDev -20%

on tap at pope in philly

Pours a slightly hazed leafy brown color with some brighter auburn tones. Very little head, retention or lacing.

Whoa, lots of booze on this one. Strong tones of spiced rum, vanilla, oak, and pumpkin. Some caramel and cinnamon. Warm alcohol esters.

Sweet and rich up front on the tongue. A strong sense of straight up Captain Morgan-like spiced rum, slight astringency as well. Thick bready caramel malts, very roasty and warm on the tongue. Vanilla and candy corn with some oak. Finishes hot and sweet.

Fuller body, decent carbonation, sticky, chewy, and coating on the tongue. I was happy to try this, but I thought the rum was a little overboard and the sweetness was pretty strong.

11-16-2011 02:37:51 | More by xnicknj
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark amber, almost pumpkiny color. Brown and orange in there, sweet aroma, no doubt from the rum.

Somewhat simplistic taste, rum, pumpkin, beer, yeah, somewhat exotic, would like to see Avery do their hopping and dry hopping thing in this, I realize that's pretty simplistic too, but it is a crowd pleaser. A little bit of spice, the abv was too easily tasteable in this one for me.

"Rum barrels from Bermuda with real pumpkin in mash."

11-25-2010 21:19:35 | More by Beerandraiderfan
codewarrior

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

On tap at the Cheeky Monk on Colfax, Poured into a Cheeky Monk Balloon.

It was also listed at 13.20% ABV on the tap list for Sunday Breakfast at Cheeky Monk, listed as "Imperial Pumpkin Ale Aged in Rum Barrels."

A: 2-fingers rich head, deep mahogany with a rust-orange tint. Transparent.

S: Front is rich pumpkin with nutmeg and spices. Front doesn't last long and is consumed by rum, entirely.

T: Tastes like a pumpkin being actively drowned in rum (note that this is somewhat violent sounding, and the taste was similarly so). The rum is a little overpowering at first, but by the end of the 12oz pour, it seemed to balance out a bit more (although by the end of the 12oz pour I was decidedly less balanced ... ).

F: Thick and rich, a bit cold for my taste, and hence just a touch thinner than I'd like.

D: Decent beer, but ultimately it couldn't stand up to the rum, which overpowers in places, instead of enhancing.

When I saw this on the menu I thought that this would end-up tasting like pumpkin pie, Rum gives off many brown-sugar notes. Nearer the end of the beer this started to come through (but i'll chalk that up to mild-drunkeness).

While I was able to finish this beer (a problem i've had with 12oz pours of Avery beers at Cheeky Monk before), I would again suggest that a 12oz pour of a 13.2% ABV beer is ... a tad much.

11-01-2010 16:25:23 | More by codewarrior
rhinos00

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Had on-tap straight from the source at Avery. Poured into a tulip-type glass. This one has been aged in rum barrels for 9 months.

A- Pours a crystal clear mahogany. Produced a fingers width of white head. Reduced to a semi-thick ring around the glass. Little to no lacing.

S- Smells like autumn. Upfront you get a nice whiff of pumpkin and spices. The rum creates a perfect blend here. Adds a great alcoholic sweetness to the aroma.

T- After the aroma, I can't help think that this was a let down. The base beer was just off. The initial flavors were great, but the spices and pumpkin quickly fade and take on a soda type water taste...very bland. The blandness actually intensified as the beer warmed. The rum aspect of the beer saves it. It was very rich in flavor and offered a nice compliment to the spices.

M- Medium bodied, yet slightly on the thin side. Pretty well carbonated.

D- At nearly 14% abv, the alcohol was hidden very well. However, the flavors were the problem. I just couldn't get past the spiced blandness.

Overall, at $10 for a 10oz serving I will pass from now on. However, I can't help but think that Avery is onto something with pairing pumpkin beers and rum barrels. If the base of this beer was anywhere close to that of Pumking, it would be an absolutely phenomenal beer.

11-03-2010 03:22:57 | More by rhinos00