Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  16.73% ABV

Availability: Fall

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rumpkin Alström Bros

3.53/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 2, bottled 9/17/12. 12 oz foil topped bottle into a brandy snifter.

A - Pours a rather clear burnt orange/brown color. Some small off white bubbles dissipate quickly leaving behind a very still body. Swirling creates some minute bubbles and leaves behind a thin alcoholic trace.

S - Pumpkin and squash flesh, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some rich malty toffee. The finish is harsh alcohol and some sweet vanilla. The beginning is quite nice and reminiscent of many pumpkin ales, but the alcohol just burns the nose and prevents the aroma from being approachable. I find myself smelling it from a few inches away from the glass rather than stuffing my nose in like most beers.

T - Starts off with some basic roasted pumpkin flesh flavors along with the standard spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and all spice. These flavors are then interrupted by a huge wave of alcohol that burns the mouth and throat. Aftertaste is of oak and some brief vanilla. The rum is just noticeable in a lingering spice. Disappointing and light in the flavor department. Its saving grace is that its not too sweet or cloying.

M - Medium to thin bodied with low carbonation. Drink ability is quite low. I'm struggling with the first 6 oz pour.

O - I really wanted to like this one, but alas I'm just left perplexed. Sticking a pumpkin ale in a rum barrel sounds like an amazing idea. Somewhere along the line Avery decided to make the beer an 18% abv monster. Big boozy beers rarely bother me, but this one is just a bit too harsh and simple.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Rumpkin is a thick orange, as in extremely thick, somewhat bright but with no give to it. The orange-tinted head is small and develops a firm layer with some bubbling coming in as it drops. It leaves behind tight lace in light to moderate quantity, mostly in spotting.
I think my nostrils are eating pumpkin, honestly. Otherwise it has a lot of sugary sweetness and some alcoholic burn. There seems to be vanilla and wet molasses, like a syrup was made and woody spices added.
The flavor is extremely sweet, exceedingly so in fact. Spices make their play, and they do add something good but they can't do much to cut the sweetness. The alcohol stings hard, a little too hard, and it just ends up leaning too cloying and harsh even for a dessert beer.
The sweetness in the thick body make this beer too syrupy in the feel. The body ends up full, obviously sweet with no dryness balancing and the ethanolic sting hitting the tongue pretty hard.
I can't get into the beers that are this hard as much as I'd like, though it could be a good enough sipper for sure.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

12oz Bottle into a wine glass.

A-Dark brown color with minimal head. Super thick and syrupy as seen from the pour.

S-The smell of this is weird, like rum infused pumpkins with old milk. Frankly I could not smell this for long.

T-Tastes like pumpkin pie on crack. There is a lot of molasses, clove, honey, lots of honey, graham cracker and the slightest rum after taste.

M-This is super sweet and sticky. It is smooth for being 16% though.

O-I do not know why but I kept sipping on this beer. It is not that great but for some reasonable enjoyable. Worth a try once. It is like old school barleywine with a pumpkin twist. Super weird beer.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Bottle: Poured a cloudy dark orangey color ale with a sizeable foamy head with OK retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of rums and cinnamon is quite intense with loads of sweet notes. Taste is a complex mix of cinnamon, light pumpkin and rums layered with a solid but extremely sweet malt backbone. Body is full with limited filtration and good carbonation. This is a complex one for sure though it was too sweet (a 12 ounces bottle can easily be shared) to drink repeatedly.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

12oz bottle poured into Narke tulip.

A - Pours a mirky burnt orange/brown color, thin collar.

S - Big boozy rum notes, nutmeg, brown sugar, cinnamon, light pumpkin. The note is very sweet and spicy with lots of booze. I think the pumpkin really gets lost in the mix here. That said, it's still a nice nose, just a bit too much going on.

T - Well, I didn't notice until after the first few sips that was beer clocks in at almost 16%! I was wondering why I was tasting a huge booze-bomb, and that's exactly why! The booze really isn't as big as 16%, but I would still have guessed 12% or so. Similar to the nose, lots of spices, rum, light barrel, and perhaps maybe a touch of pumpkin (but not enough).

M - Medium, light carbonation, creamy spice finish.

O - Well, it's a nice take on a pumpkin ale, but a bit too boozy for me to enjoy more then 4-6oz. I couldn't finish the 12oz bottle by myself without fear of passing out, so I just gave the rest to my sink. That said, I would easily drink my first pour and did enjoy it. It's "different", but not near excellent or world-class. Give it a try and see for yourself!

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured into a wine glass.

Dark brown/amber in color. One finger of off white head. Decent retention and lacing. Nice legs.

Smells of rum, spice, caramel, and molasses.

Taste follows smell. Quite sweet, molasses, caramel, pumpkin, rum, oaky vanilla, rum. Kinda like taking a bite of apple pie, a bite of pumpkin pie, and vanilla ice cream followed by a tiny sip of rum.

Well carbonated, medium bodied. Touch oilly.

For some reason it just doesn't all come together right. A touch too sweet for sure.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Well, rum and pumpkin. I'll be.

Pours bright ruby/orange, clear with a rather small head.

Aroma is pumpkin, spices and spiced-rum. The pumpkin is the most noticeable, with rum coming in second. The spices dance around, not letting you to completely capture them

yeah, pumpkin is the flavor. But it seems thin. The rum comes in a reminds me of the old days when we would spike pumpkins (and melons, et al). The alcohol isn't hot, but noticeable. Gives a slight nail polish remover aftertaste.

Overall, for 13% this is quite drinkable. Better for colder days/nights I think. Not sure what the pair this one with.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

I applaud Avery for their inventive brews. I happen to be fairly particular about my pumpkin ales and I was very curious when I came across this one in the local grocery store for a winter seasonal. First off, very little head and carbonation which really leaves the mouthfeel to the weight of the brew itself. Soft, and a little flat. A little heavy, and naturally so at 15%. It is a very interesting combination, I just felt like the ABV weighed it down. Aging in old rum barrels was a clever combo. I wonder if this might be better with a bourbon barrel. Nevertheless, the pumpkin was drowned out. I got a little bit, but I most tasted some spice and brewing sugar. Not a bad beer, imaginative pumpkin ale, probably best for when you are in an exploratory mood.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

A - Shimmering ruby and copper, translucent; looks very clean. An aggressive pour gives a tan finger head, but quickly falls down to a sturdy ring around the edge of the glass that has been hanging out for a bit.

S - Lots of barrel character - charred wood, sweet/sugary rum, vanilla, a bit of toasted coconut. Then the pumpkin essence wafts in - nutmeg, cinnamon, hearty bread.

T - A rum barrel can really do nice things to a pumpkin beer. Fact: all pumpkin beers are godawful and need things to make them be less awful. Enter: rum barrel! In this case, all of the characteristics from the barrel found in the nose are right here in the flavor - burnt wood, gobs of vanilla, toasted coconut, supersweet molasses and caramel. This would absolutely be cloyingly sweet if it wasn't for that burnt barrel taste keep the sweetness in balance. The spice comes in shortly thereafter and isn't bad - again, nutmeg, cinnamon, maybe a little anise, but overall the spices aren't overpowering or making me think twice about spending $10 on a 12oz beer...

M - The body is mediumish, perhaps a bit on the thin side and the carbonation is a little high for my liking. The mouthfeel comes off as a little harsh.

O - For a guy that hates pumpkin beers, this is mildly enjoyable. About halfway through the beer I discovered I was drinking a 15.9% beer. Other than a very slight heat i'm getting in my gums, the booze is hidden like a boss.

My Halloween beer, because I can. Newest batch is 15.9%

A - Pours a half dinger head, cappuccino in color which quickly dissipates. Body is burnt indian red which is slightly hazy.

S - Mostly sweet candies. Some alcohol. I'm picking up some sourness, like a sour cream, but in a good way.

T - The alcohol is there throughout. This is not a "spicy" pumpkin beer, but hints of cinnamon and cloves with a stronger allspice flavor. I don't taste the rum, but the alcohol is not hidden. Some sweet plum as well.

M - Nicely balanced with good carbonation and feel.

O - a bit much on the alcohol and I am not totally convinced it is a pumpkin beer. It is tasty and well done on all other effects. Much better than the current year Beast which is way too hot.

2012 version - A lot more pumpkin in this than I remember from 2011. I think I like it better.

1st review:

Nearly no head. This beer pours a beautiful, cloudy orange-brown color with a great alcohol scent. Pumpkin taste is evident but not so much as the rum flavor. Not a huge fan of rum to begin with but overall great job by Avery. Really different but absolutely delicious.

3.63/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Pours clear dark ruby color, not much head at pour. Aroma smells spicey, clovey, cinnamon, faint pumpkin. Alcohol seems to be a big factor in aroma as well. Alcohol from rum is definitely the biggest factor in flavor, especially when the beer is colder. Still clovey cinnamon spice in flavor but not very well in balance with rum. Pumpkin takes a while to find, becomes slightly more evident in flavor as beer warms. Mouthfeel is relatively thick. Finish has an mild alcohol burn. Sweetness is a little on the heavy side, and lingers on finish. Was hoping for a litte more pumpkn and for rum to be a little more balanced with the rest of the flavors. Glad I could say I got to try it though.

3.63/5  rDev -11%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled in October, 2011. Not sure if I'm ready for this.

Pours a deep copper/brown color with good clarity. A small tan head fades and leaves some lacing. Smell is FULL of alcohol with lots of spices, pumpkins, grains, and caramel. Aroma is strong. Taste is decent. So much booze and pumpkin. Not much going on in the taste. Leaves a sticky coating on the tongue. Mouthfeel is pretty full. Overall this is a truly unique beer but just too much for my palate.

Rumpkin from Avery Brewing Company