Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  16.73% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rumpkin Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,088 | Reviews: 245
3.6/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Well, rum and pumpkin. I'll be.

Pours bright ruby/orange, clear with a rather small head.

Aroma is pumpkin, spices and spiced-rum. The pumpkin is the most noticeable, with rum coming in second. The spices dance around, not letting you to completely capture them

yeah, pumpkin is the flavor. But it seems thin. The rum comes in a reminds me of the old days when we would spike pumpkins (and melons, et al). The alcohol isn't hot, but noticeable. Gives a slight nail polish remover aftertaste.

Overall, for 13% this is quite drinkable. Better for colder days/nights I think. Not sure what the pair this one with.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

12oz bottle poured into Narke tulip.

A - Pours a mirky burnt orange/brown color, thin collar.

S - Big boozy rum notes, nutmeg, brown sugar, cinnamon, light pumpkin. The note is very sweet and spicy with lots of booze. I think the pumpkin really gets lost in the mix here. That said, it's still a nice nose, just a bit too much going on.

T - Well, I didn't notice until after the first few sips that was beer clocks in at almost 16%! I was wondering why I was tasting a huge booze-bomb, and that's exactly why! The booze really isn't as big as 16%, but I would still have guessed 12% or so. Similar to the nose, lots of spices, rum, light barrel, and perhaps maybe a touch of pumpkin (but not enough).

M - Medium, light carbonation, creamy spice finish.

O - Well, it's a nice take on a pumpkin ale, but a bit too boozy for me to enjoy more then 4-6oz. I couldn't finish the 12oz bottle by myself without fear of passing out, so I just gave the rest to my sink. That said, I would easily drink my first pour and did enjoy it. It's "different", but not near excellent or world-class. Give it a try and see for yourself!

3.62/5  rDev -11.3%

Had on tap, poured into a matching Avery stemmed flute glass. Pours a ruby red with almost no head. Ok, lets just call it flat out no head. At least it has bubbles rising up, but they don't stick around for the party long. Nearly had legs, but not quite.

Smell is booze, spice, rum, a bit of pumpkin, and overall fallness. it could have been a bit more forward.

Taste is spice, rum, some caramel, a dash of pumpkin, and a healthy dose of booze. It's alright, but probably could used more pumpkin.

Pretty light in terms of mouthfeel. it works out ok, not really sure what it should be.

It's booze, and more booze. It nearly burns going down. What the hell do you expect from Avery.

3.64/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Murky light brown body. Lots of floaties, carbonation streaming up the glass, alcohol legs (while the beer is still on the cold side, not after it warms), and of course no head whatsoever...wouldn't expect any from such a high ABV beer.

Candied pumpkin aroma upfront along with some of the added spices and caraway seed. Ginger and rum notes come out more in the back end.

The rum barrels don't overtake the beer...I'm am getting the alcohol burn/sweetness though. Flavors of vanilla, pumpkin, ginger towards the middle/finish, nutmeg, and faint taste of cinnamon as the beer drys out. Middle of the mouth the rum and pumpkin flavor springs up in unison. Sweetness coast the mouth and really sits strong on the tongue. Finishes a bit thin also.

Alcohol presence is quite strong, at 16% it is quite understandable, but I've had a few beers at this strength that do a better job of masking it. That's not to say I don't enjoy alcohol heat in certain beers. The only problem is that it really overtakes the taste/feel in the finish which subtracts from some other qualities. The beer finishes very one note. A strong alcohol sweetness coats the palate and what came through in the taste/feel from the start to middle is fazed out. I still find plenty to enjoy here, but taking the alcohol level down a notch and adding some more body could do a lot to this brewski. A very intriguing take on a pumpkin beer.

[88/100]

1st review:

Nearly no head. This beer pours a beautiful, cloudy orange-brown color with a great alcohol scent. Pumpkin taste is evident but not so much as the rum flavor. Not a huge fan of rum to begin with but overall great job by Avery. Really different but absolutely delicious.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours clear dark ruby color, not much head at pour. Aroma smells spicey, clovey, cinnamon, faint pumpkin. Alcohol seems to be a big factor in aroma as well. Alcohol from rum is definitely the biggest factor in flavor, especially when the beer is colder. Still clovey cinnamon spice in flavor but not very well in balance with rum. Pumpkin takes a while to find, becomes slightly more evident in flavor as beer warms. Mouthfeel is relatively thick. Finish has an mild alcohol burn. Sweetness is a little on the heavy side, and lingers on finish. Was hoping for a litte more pumpkn and for rum to be a little more balanced with the rest of the flavors. Glad I could say I got to try it though.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Surprisingly light in color, a light murky brown with a very thin head. Smells of pumpkin and spices. Cake and pumpkin tastes are upfront with nutmeg and cinnamon lingering on the pallet, along with a boozy warming sensation (15.9% anyone??). The beer is a sipper for sure, feels real bubbly in the mouth.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled in October, 2011. Not sure if I'm ready for this.

Pours a deep copper/brown color with good clarity. A small tan head fades and leaves some lacing. Smell is FULL of alcohol with lots of spices, pumpkins, grains, and caramel. Aroma is strong. Taste is decent. So much booze and pumpkin. Not much going on in the taste. Leaves a sticky coating on the tongue. Mouthfeel is pretty full. Overall this is a truly unique beer but just too much for my palate.

3.67/5  rDev -10%

Had this on 2014-10-26 in Lancaster, PA at The Fridge on tap

Plenty of pumpkin pie spice and moderate rum. Tasty but very sweet. The rum is a nice touch. Thick mouthfeel. Glad I tried 5 oz of it today. I enjoyed it but not as much as other pumpkin beers I've had this season at 1/3 to 1/2 as much alcohol.

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

Time to catch up on reviews of beers I had over the holidays. On draft at Capone's. Served in a 5.5 oz snifter...

A - Presented a deep orange color with some honey-like highlights when held to the light. Surprisingly nice eggshell white head that recedes to a cap. Some nice lacing.

S - Whoa. Sweet rum and vanilla come out right away; much more rum than I would've expected. This is followed by a big blast of nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, brown sugar and pumpkin. The aromas are quite sweet.

T - Quite sweet and very rich; and I have a BIG sweet-tooth. Lots of rum stands out mixing trying to mix with the pumpkin and pumokin pie spices (allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon). Caramel malts and oak come through too making it seem much sweeter.

M - Medium to full bodied beer that is quite rich, sticky and sweet. Higher carbonation than I would've expected, but it was on tap.

O - The sweetness of this one, mixed with the high ABV, made it a little tough to get through. DEFINITELY a sipper if I've ever encountered one. Really interesting idea, although I wonder if rum barrels were the best choice for a beer like this.

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

12/03/2011

On tap at Strong Ale 2011.

A: Ruddy reddish brown with an off-white head.

S: Big notes of allspice and nutmeg. Rum is pretty strong, but there's not really any harshness one might expect from such a high ABV. Pumpkin blends with pie crust and cinnamon.

T: Lots of rum with strong notes of allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Alcohol is bold but not harsh or out of place. I get a lot of pumpkin, as well as earth, fig, and date. This is quite sweet.

M: Medium body with high carbonation on tap.

Overall: This is well done, but it's not my style and is a bit much for me. Four ounces is more than enough.

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Batch 3 / Bottled 9-Sep-13

12 oz. poured into Lost Abbey Teku on 10-Oct-13

Aromas of pumpkin, sweet cherries, cinnamon, nutmeg, burnt molassas, rum and spices. Just a little booze, interesting.

The spice and rum dominate the flavors. Whew, the heat at the end! It's great cause it's not boozy and doesn't seem like 18% is obliterating my senses. Overall, I don't get enough of the pumpkin and oak barrel as I'd like to because the rum and spices dominate palate. It reminds me of how Uncle Jacobs does the same; it's as if Avery just pours a couple ounces of the spirit straight into the beer just prior to bottling. Let the reader know that I'm not particularly fond of Rum.

The body is rather light than I prefer as well for a pumpkin ale, but I suppose the body's gotta be as is due to the high ABV. Doesn't come close to Almanac's, but still a great pumpkin ale to enjoy during the cold fall and winter months.

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle of the 2014 release. Poured into a snifter 10/21/2014.

A- Darker brown-amber body, minimal head, minimal retention time, minimal lacing. Not that impressive in terms of appearance. [3.5]

S- Holy rum booze and pumpkin spices. Lots of cinnamon and nutmeg that is still dominated by the white sugary sweet base beer. Kind of hard to get the nuances of this beer. [3.75]

F- Rum booze, cinnamon, nutmeg, cider-like tartness. But this is very rum-forward. I definitely feel drunk after tasting an ounce of this beer. [3.75]

M- Full bodied, thick and sugary. Strong body, strong booziness. I can't even begin to imagine how much malt they used to brew this. Sugary sweet and hot finish on this one. [3.5]

O- Definitely a flavour intense pumpkin beer, but its not exactly what I'm looking for in a pumpkin beer, especially not at the price point it sells for. The booze quotient is extremely high in this one, as is the diabeetus quotient. This 12oz bottle is definitely best split with multiple people. [4]

Final score: 3.71

3.74/5  rDev -8.3%

Sept. 17, 2012 Bottling. Enjoyed the day before the 2011 vintage.

A: The beer pours out of the bottle the most ridiculous color of orange I have ever seen. It rests in the glass almost brown, viscous as hell, and with an orange-tinted head. The head is nothing more than a few bubbles and hangs out for only a fleeting second. It just looks like a big beer. 4.5

S: The aroma is strangely muted. Spices, definitely some rum, and the pumpkin mostly. The alcohol is hot and dominates the other aromas. I guess I expected the pumpkin and rum to attack me right off the bat, but this seems to be a more blended, less aggressive aroma. 3

T: The taste is really focused on the rum. In fact, I'd almost say the rum is cut with pumpkin. There seems to be another factor adding thickness here, which I'll call molasses because the beer is really sweet. Spices rest on the backend, both from the beer and the rum barrel. The pumpkin really presents itself throughout the entire taste, attempting to compete with the rum when it reality it only plays second fiddle. The finish is all rum and vanilla and the beer warms you as you drink. I do like the beer despite it's over-the-top ruminess. I'm impressed that pumpkin can play on this level, but I'm afraid it isn't quite good enough to make this a top notch offering.

MF: The beer actually burns on the way down, which although I've had a good number of very high ABV beers, I can't say I'm used to. The body is thick and heavy, coating the mouth with rum and spice. The size of this beer makes the drinkability a bit lower than it could be. The alcohol just takes you over. 3.5

O: This beer quite literally warms my soul. I thought the fresh version was hot (something I remember when I had this on tap last year), so I'm excited to see what happened to the bottle I held on to for a year. If you can find this, buy it, and experience it. I doubt you'll regret it. 4

Oct. 2011 Bottling.

A: The body has gotten much darker, and the bright orange appearance that so struck me before has turned into more of a sludge amber with a white head. The body is much more clear than the 2012 version. As before, the bubbly head doesn't stick around that long at all. A ton of crap has built up at the bottom of the bottle, which I didn't pour into my glass. I can't stress enough that they look like different beers. 3.5

S: The pumpkin asserts itself much more, with the spices underneath. The rum plays well here and the booze is as strong as ever at the finish. I'm actually a little surprised the alcohol hasn't been cut a bit more, it's still almost burning my nostrils. 3

T: I'll say this right up front, the taste is significantly better. I'd say the best pumpkin beer I've had to this point. The balance, finally, is noticeable and MUCH appreciated. The sweetness is still big, and the caramel seems to be much stronger than any pumpkin. The rum and alcohol play big parts here, but as I said it's actually balanced. The spices are gone. Big malt finish and I appreciate the beer not burning on the way down. 5

MF: Thinner body with more carbonation. The drinkability is much higher because of the balance and lower level of noticeable alcohol. I still feel the 18.1% ABV after I'm about halfway through the bottle, however. 4

O: Huge improvement. I actually wish I had another bottle to hold onto for a few year. My guess is this will only continue to get better. I absolutely recommend you age this over drinking it fresh. Having had it fresh on tap and in the bottle, this is much better. 4.5

3.74/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

This brew is a deep, dark amber. Smells of alcohol & a fruity sweetness. The initial taste mirrors that smell with dark molasses & roasted pumpkin flavors. That is followed up by a boozy shot of cinnamon & other spices. I think the rum adds a slight warming into the finish. Despite the high abv popping through, this is a very tasty pumpkin offering that y'all need to go pickup. Good brew to sip next to the firepit after sundown.

3.74/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap on Tapwerks in an 8 oz snifter. Dark red/amber caramel color with very little head produced. Very sweet aroma of rum, caramel, and cinnamon. The taste is interesting. Very sweet at the start with caramel candy flavors, slight cinnamon, nutmeg, banana bread ,vanilla, and cane sugar rum flavors. Definitely some alcohol warmth, but surprisingly not boozy. As this warms up its gets way too sweet and cloying to point of being unpleasant. Mouthfeel is sticky, full ,and cloying towards the finish. Overall, its good, especially at first, but way too sweet towards the end. Plenty of rum flavor and sweet candy sugar, but it becomes too much and even at 8 oz it was hard to finish. I'd have it again, but I'd prefer an even smaller portion. (82/100)

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance: Deep caramel/copper. Head is off-white. Thin head and a small ring grace the top of the beer. Pours on the thick side. Very still. Slight chill haze pervades.

Smell: Vanilla, rum, oak, cinnamon and pumpkin flesh. Real pumpkin flesh carries the vegetable quality I love to see in a pumpkin beer. Sweet caramel and molasses round it all out. Decidedly sweet with a nice depth and complexity. Faint touch of ginger on the back. Oh, did I mention rum?

Taste: Rum with a pumpkin pie chaser. Cinnamon and nutmeg are in abundance. Molasses and caramel coupled with hints of vanilla. Oak adds a nice dimension to the whole thing. Rum really plays through and interacts with the flavors of a beefy pumpkin ale. Spice profile is on point. Malts are pleasantly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Nice and full with hints of something syrupy. Dry on the back from the big hit of booze. Carbonation is low.

Overall: Definitely a sipper, but a nice treatment for the pumpkin ale. The rum flavors add a nice depth that compliments the delicious fall spices. A bit too aggressive overall, but a year or two should make this interesting.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

On Tap at UJ's Manatawny for their Wood fest.

Rumpkin comes in the tulip looking hazyish orange that is semi bright up to light. A small cap of off white foam graces the top of this one, no stick. Smell is str8 rum barrel mixed in with pumpkin spices. Some small amounts of chocolate and some brown sugar. Some alcohol as well. For 13 percent or so pretty well tamed. Taste is pumpkin spice, not so much pumpkin pie flavor. Rum is well stated comes on strong and resembles a spirit in some fashion. Some small cocco, molasses, booze soaked apples and the like. The alcohol is well hidden but feel comes off like a spirit of sorts. Coating, medium bodied, a light carb. A interesting beer, not one i'll be reaching the ends of the earth for, small pours of this are encouraged, would love to have this near the holidays with family.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Gorgeous amber color. Small off-white head which doesn't last long, decent lacing.

Smells of spices rather than pumpkin. The alcohol and rum was huge on the nose as well as sweetness, caramel and even a little banana for me.

Taste of booze and overpowering sweetness, some nice dark fruit and lovely rum flavors. Doesn't hide the high ABV at all.

Medium bodied, with low carbonation. The alcohol warms with each sip.

Got better the more I drank and was a very nice sipper on a cool night. Overall though too boozy for me, may mellow with some age?

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled on Sept. 6 2013. 18.53% ABV.

A- Small creme caramel head that quickly dissipated to nothing. Deep garnet with a small degree of clarity, can see the shadow of my finger through the glass. Sticks to the glass like a spirit. Some fine particles in the glass, could be yeast, pumpkin, or spices.

S- Lots and lots of caramelized sugars followed by some mellow spices of cinnamon, mace and allspice, some vanilla and a light pumpkin mellowness. The alcohol is present but not nearly to the degree I thought this 18% beer would be.

T- Similar to the aroma. Very, very sweet, one of the sweetest beers I've had. Caramelized sugars, marshmallow, lots of rum raisin, the ABV comes on more in the taste can definitely tell this is a strong beer. The spices a there at a nice balanced level. Slight burn as it goes down the throat. Some vanilla and wood from the barrel on the end.

M- Heavy mouthfeel, a definite sipper.

O- This beer is very sweet, a bit too sweet for me to finish one bottle by myself, should have split this with someone. It took me about 2 hours to drink the thing. After a while thought it really grew on me, maybe I was just getting drunk. An interesting beer that I'm really going back and forth on a lot of aspects of the flavor but ultimately it's just too sweet for me to really find it outstanding, and I generally love sweet beers like Wee Heavys and English Barleywines.

goslings rum barrel type aged six months at 13.2% abv

the barrels impart a unique flavor character to the beer that is not overrun by pumpkin; an interestingly unique brew

rum barrels from bermuda with real pumpkin in the mash

sampled this at the bistro west coast barrel aged beer festival november 13, 2010

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

On tap at the Flying Saucer-Houston. 8oz pour and a good thing too, potent.

A- Deep copper with a short lived white head. No lacing with medium body.

S- Rum, cinnamon, nutmeg, wood.

T- Coconut, wood, cinnamon, nutmeg, alcohol. Low carbonation.

D- Not very drinkable but I really don't think they were shooting for drinkability on this one.

Overall I am glad I tried this monster. The spices are not overdone and it all comes together well. I am pretty sturdy and this one has me whipped at the 4oz mark. A good one timer.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

From 11/23/11 notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip, split with my brother. Batch 11.1, bottled 10/05/11.

a - Pours a hazy dark reddish brown color with one inch of tan head and low to moderate carbonation evident. Little head retention and no lacing.

s - Smells of pumpkin, gingerbread, nutmeg, rum, alcohol, and light spices. Lots of pumpkin and bread, and not quite as much alcohol as I was expecting.

t - Tastes of pumpkin, very sweet dark fruits, bready malts, rum, alcohol, spice, wood, light toasted notes. Again, actually not quite as much alcohol as I expected, though it was more prevelant than in the nose. A little too sweet, but still good.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Light alcohol warmth, but considering the ABV, not bad at all.

o - Overall I thought this beer was pretty good, and it was better than I was expecting. The taste was a bit sweet and boozy, but I enjoyed the nose quite a bit. Would be interested to see how this is with a year on it; may throw a bottle in the cellar until next Thanksgiving.

look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Batch #3, bottled 9/6/13.

Appearance: Pours an extremely deep, clear copper color with a ton of carbonation. Just a beautiful hue to this beer. About 1" of light khaki head forms, which has decent retention, and really no lacing. Head retention characteristics are quite good for a beer this ABV. Reduces down to a healthy ring around the edges of the glass. One of the more gorgeous beers I have seen recently.

Smell: Toasted caramel, maybe a slight pumpkin note, as well as the requisite pumpkin pie spice. Not a lot of barrel, but a significant rum presence. Does not smell quite as big as the ABV would indicate.

Taste: Whoa, there is the ABV. Big time alcohol burst upon the first sip. Underneath that, sweet pumpkin and toasted caramel, along with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc. Again, not a ton of woodiness or barrel character, but the rum is quite prominent.

Mouthfeel/Overall: The body on this beer is quite big as you would expect, and all of that carbonation does not show quite as much on the palate, oddly enough. A bit on the syrupy side. Extreme alcohol burn on the back end. Overall, this is a beer I was very excited to get ahold of and try. It certainly lived up to expectations on a number of levels. Very flavorful and a good fall beer. In the end though, the ABV for this style is just too high for me, making this a quintessential sipper and a bit hard to get through. Half of this 12oz bottle would have been sufficient for me. Definitely worth a try though.

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Serving; Bottle
Bottled on: 09-22-2014 (Batch No. 4)

A:
Pours a dirty orange-brown with a pop-like head that evaporates to nothing. No retention; no lacing. (3.25)

S:
Melange of holiday spices. Caramelized pumpkin with ginger and cloves, spiced rum, woody spiciness, butter. (4)

T:
Spiced rum with pumpkin sweetness. Very spicy ginger with rum, cinnamon, toasted biscuit, white chocolate, roast squash, butter. (3.75)

M:
Warming booziness with medium-full body, slick feel, lingering rummy warmth, sticky starchy squashiness. (4)

O:
Very good beer for what it is.
I am no fan of pumpkin beers or of a lot of barrel aged ones. This is, however, a very fine example of what it is.
Admittedly, it was too much for me, but does seem to be a solidly brewed pumpkin beer made very complex through the use of barrels. It is also too boozy in my opinion, I don't understand what is gained by being stronger than wine, but whatever. It is very multi-layered and I feel like a lower booze presence could maybe bring out somem other things in it, but who knows...
There is a lot of very spicy ginger presence and the hot-buttered-rum feel and flavor is constantly there. The aroma is of pumpkin pie and Nag Champa (appropriate since it's from Boulder). Warming, oily, and intense.
One to be sipped and shared.
Won't have again; but, if you like boozy BA beers and/or pumpkin beers, you can't go wrong, this has got to be the cream of the crop for you : ) (3.75)

Rumpkin from Avery Brewing Company