Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  16.73% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.
Reviews: 258 | Hads: 1,213
3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Gold foil wrapped 12 oz. bottle served in a Bell's Tulip. Bottled 10/5/2011.

A: Pours an almost brown body with dark orange a small, quick dissolving off white head. It recedes to a very thin collar, but doesn't leave any lace. The body is lively with carbonation though.

S: Smells like a rum soaked pumpkin pie. Crumbly pie crust, pumpkin pulp, cinnamon, allspice, a touch of nutmeg and some sweet rum round this guy out. Very interesting to say the least.

T: The taste takes a complete 180 here. Notes of caramel, burnt sugar, rum soaked dark fruits and some oak all shine together. A sweet spiced rum makes it's presence known in the middle and a malty vanilla sweetness that's almost on the verge of be cloying rounds it out. The is a great warming sensation on the finish, but it isn't hot. There is barely any pumpkin to be found.

M: Full bodied with a stick and coating mouthfeel, yet the carbonation is slightly prickly to keep the tongue interested. The taste lingers in the mouth for quite sometime. This is definitely a sipper.

O: This was a very interesting beer. It had old ale and barleywine qualities to it. The pumpkin gets lost in the taste really and I would have like more of the nose to shine through in taste. If it had a touch more pumpkin I would have given this a much higher score. Not bad, very different.

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Rackhouse Pub.
A deep amber orange with a white sheen. Carbonation is light and fades a bit over time, but never goes flat. Pretty impressive for something this strong.
The nose is VERY rum heavy. Rum overpowers even the pretty potent pumpkin pie spices.
The flavor is sweet and creamy, like some of the best pumpkin beers around...and then that rum hit kicks in. While it adds flavor, it also adds a fair amount of heat and distillate character.
Allspice, sweet cream, and cinnamon are amplified by that rum sugar. Sometimes that's awesome, sometimes it's fiery and off-putting.
A pretty hot brew at 15%, and a very slow sipper. Treat it like a cognac instead of a beer.
Some sips are really, really good while others taste like pumpkin rum.
I almost wish the beer weren't rum aged. Either that or maybe just taking on a milder character.
Pretty good, but probably not one I'll seek out like I would Meph Addict or some other Avery brews.

1.32/5  rDev -67%

8oz draft pour served in a slender tulip for $8. Sampled 12/16/11.

Per the menu, "this beer is breed with pumpkin puree and a blend of 5 spices...aged in extremely fresh Gosling's rum barrels for 6 months..."

A: Pours a completely opaque, very dark amber color with ruby highlights along the glass's edge. Less than 1 finger of head on the pour which is light tan in color and quick to disappear. While a solid collar remains, lacing is unlikely. And it is.

S: After many intriguing sniffs, I'm unsure if the aroma is decent or detestable. Big pumpkin puree aroma with sopping wet dark fruit standing in uncut dark rum. The autumnal spices play the background more than expected, which is the only positive I find in the nose. Ultimately, I've decided this beer is not for me. And the longer the beer sits - the more offensive it becomes. Pumpkin beers are clearly not suited for stratospheric levels of alcohol.

T: Sickly sweet. The malty sweetness is just too big for the flavor profile. The caramel component is abrasively strong and adds unnecessarily to the already-too-prominent flavors of toffee and butterscotch. These flavors linger long, overstaying their welcome for minutes after each sip. Someone get me a glass of water. Somebody else: Light me up a cigarette.

M: The mouthfeel is actually decent. Adequate carbonation. Gently fizzy...but still cloyingly sweet. The rum barrel is less significant on the palate - mainly showing up on the backend - where it leads to an entirely unpleasant finish. Way too hot. Attenuation seems low.

O: I planned on Rumpkin being my last beer of the night, but that wouldn't have been fair to myself or my palate. So I sent back what remained in the glass and ordered something that I could enjoy.

4.14/5  rDev +3.5%

A - Little to no head. No lacing. Head that swirls in is a creamy-beige color. Brew is cloudy amber with tons of orange and brown.

S - Big brown sugar scent. Very oakey and vanilla. Slight booze burn. Some nice deep spice is buried inside. Lots of ginger and nutmeg. Smells like a strong rummed-eggnog.

T - Very spicy and elegant vanilla. Some nice strong rum notes along with banana and brown sugar. Tastes like bananas foster. yum yums. Not much in the way of pumpkin, but spice is still nice.

M - Perfect (light) carbonation. Hidden heat, but you can feel the burn.

O - Tastes like a shot of Captain Morgan's with a slight beer kick. Not the most impressive, but still a nice brew. This doesn't fit the style, but it's enjoyable. I will recommend this one, but I won't be buying any more.

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle. Enjoyed this on Thanksgiving Day with a slice of pecan pie and also pumpkin pie. Poured a dark amber color with minimal head. Smells incredible, spiced rum, spices, caramel, malt. Tastes-Whoa! The high ABV is not hidden at all but still has amazing flavors. Pumpkin? Pretty subtle. Spiced rum dominates. Finishes hot. I shared the bottle which was a good idea. Perfect end to a huge Thanksgiving day meal and paired very well with dessert.

3.74/5  rDev -6.5%

Sept. 17, 2012 Bottling. Enjoyed the day before the 2011 vintage.

A: The beer pours out of the bottle the most ridiculous color of orange I have ever seen. It rests in the glass almost brown, viscous as hell, and with an orange-tinted head. The head is nothing more than a few bubbles and hangs out for only a fleeting second. It just looks like a big beer. 4.5

S: The aroma is strangely muted. Spices, definitely some rum, and the pumpkin mostly. The alcohol is hot and dominates the other aromas. I guess I expected the pumpkin and rum to attack me right off the bat, but this seems to be a more blended, less aggressive aroma. 3

T: The taste is really focused on the rum. In fact, I'd almost say the rum is cut with pumpkin. There seems to be another factor adding thickness here, which I'll call molasses because the beer is really sweet. Spices rest on the backend, both from the beer and the rum barrel. The pumpkin really presents itself throughout the entire taste, attempting to compete with the rum when it reality it only plays second fiddle. The finish is all rum and vanilla and the beer warms you as you drink. I do like the beer despite it's over-the-top ruminess. I'm impressed that pumpkin can play on this level, but I'm afraid it isn't quite good enough to make this a top notch offering.

MF: The beer actually burns on the way down, which although I've had a good number of very high ABV beers, I can't say I'm used to. The body is thick and heavy, coating the mouth with rum and spice. The size of this beer makes the drinkability a bit lower than it could be. The alcohol just takes you over. 3.5

O: This beer quite literally warms my soul. I thought the fresh version was hot (something I remember when I had this on tap last year), so I'm excited to see what happened to the bottle I held on to for a year. If you can find this, buy it, and experience it. I doubt you'll regret it. 4

Oct. 2011 Bottling.

A: The body has gotten much darker, and the bright orange appearance that so struck me before has turned into more of a sludge amber with a white head. The body is much more clear than the 2012 version. As before, the bubbly head doesn't stick around that long at all. A ton of crap has built up at the bottom of the bottle, which I didn't pour into my glass. I can't stress enough that they look like different beers. 3.5

S: The pumpkin asserts itself much more, with the spices underneath. The rum plays well here and the booze is as strong as ever at the finish. I'm actually a little surprised the alcohol hasn't been cut a bit more, it's still almost burning my nostrils. 3

T: I'll say this right up front, the taste is significantly better. I'd say the best pumpkin beer I've had to this point. The balance, finally, is noticeable and MUCH appreciated. The sweetness is still big, and the caramel seems to be much stronger than any pumpkin. The rum and alcohol play big parts here, but as I said it's actually balanced. The spices are gone. Big malt finish and I appreciate the beer not burning on the way down. 5

MF: Thinner body with more carbonation. The drinkability is much higher because of the balance and lower level of noticeable alcohol. I still feel the 18.1% ABV after I'm about halfway through the bottle, however. 4

O: Huge improvement. I actually wish I had another bottle to hold onto for a few year. My guess is this will only continue to get better. I absolutely recommend you age this over drinking it fresh. Having had it fresh on tap and in the bottle, this is much better. 4.5

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Brown ale with a slight orange tint to the body. Medium bubbles with a slightly off-white head. Head initially rose to about a finger's length and settles with very even lacing.

Smell: It smells great but lacks the extra punch you will be looking for.

Taste: Complex taste, sweet and lightly spicy. Nutmeg with a hard hit of either amaretto or the sweet rum used to concoct this animal. The pumpkin is very very evident, the cinnamon feel and cakey taste makes you want to indulge for more.

Mouth: Medium carbonation that lightens up a bit before you get to the end of the glass. Ridiculously sticky, I swear you put the glass down and all you can thick of are pieces of cake or pie still in your cheeks.

Overall: What it all comes down to is this, this brew as expensive as it is an absolute delight. Worth every penny and worth the trouble looking for it. It is literally dessert in a glass. Already one of my top three pumpkins, salud!

3.92/5  rDev -2%

This pours a really dark burgundy color with just the slightest creamy head. It smells really boozy and at 15.8% it’s not out of line, lots of rum and oak, hard to pick up the pumpkin but the spices are there and blend with the oak really well. The flavor is really pleasant, pumpkin hits your tongue with spices but the booze just comes flying in on the tongue. Lots of rum and oak flavors that actually compliment the spices really well making this a surprisingly well rounded beer. The alcohol adds a lot of heat to the mouth and can be felt all the way down.

Verdict: This is a strong sipping beer so I’m actually glad it comes in a 12 oz. bottle. The flavors are really balanced and the rum barrels really make this beer. Easily my new favorite pumpkin beer.

3.91/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Picked this up in a great trade with Jonathan. Beautiful clear mahogany pour with a creamy one finger beige head with decent retention and nice lacing. The nose is big and sweet and boozey with hints of butterscotch, brown sugar, oak, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and subtle ginger. Huge sweet molasses dominates the taste along with hints of vanilla, butterscotch, maple, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, and ginger. The rum barrels really come through, more so than I can remember with any other rum-aged beer. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy while the body is medium to thin. Drinkability is terrible, but sippability is huge with a subtle warming burn on the finish. Overall, this is what it is...a sipper. The sweetness is cloying, but there's enough flavor and complexity to kind of excuse it.

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

On draft at Capones in a 5.5oz glass

Purposely poured w/short head over an opaque dark orange body

Aromas are full of spices and lots of rum barrel with apple juice

Wow. Where to start? Super sweet, featuring caramelized pumpkin, allspice, cinnamon, apple pie, molasses, and some rum sweetness. Tasty but almost over-the-top sweetness

Mouthfeel is obviously rich, yet juicy (as if that makes sense). Goes down WAY too easily.

Dangerously drinkable beer. Good thing for 5.5 oz pours!

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

bottled on 10/5/11

a - poured a one finger thick tan and fizzy head into a tulip glass that settled quickly to a thin ring that was gone about halfway through the beer. the body was a muddy brown color.
s - big rum aromas with some sweetness likely from the molasses.
t - boozy rum, woody, with a slight pumpkin taste. nicely sweet too.
m - creamy and smooth.
o - really interesting take on a pumpkin and i really enjoyed it. i think it could have used another year or so of aging as it was still a little hot but still a pleasant heat.

4.74/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fresh from a snifter on tap. This is the only pumpkin ale I whole heartedly endorse.
Ale was a lightly cloudy reddish amber with light lacing and light foam. Huge nose of
caramel, bananas, figs, nutmeg, and rich rum. Flavors are explosive. Rum up front with a
very nice warming sweet flavor, thick caramel and molasses notes to the back and sides
mingling with toffee, banana, and mild pumpkin pie flavor mixed with a good amount of
nutmeg. Aftertaste of rum and nutmeg linger without being unpleasant. Very complex.
Smooth sipping and mildly carbonated mouthfeel. Silky and decadent. Packs a punch.
Be warned, it is a beast of a killer brew.

2.8/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
bottled oct 11, 2011

pours a deep, dark amber tone while yielding a short-lived 3/4" head; a bit of patchy lacing evident. nose is rich, sweet, and malty with notes of rum, spice, and booze. for better or worse you know this one will be something else.

flavor is hugely sweet and malty... and boozy; cloyingly sweet, in fact, all of which in my opinion overshadow it's other characteristics (spice, pumpkin, molasses, a little vanilla - which are discernible, just eclipsed). medium-full on the palate with average carbonation.

overall, just way too sweet and boozy for my taste, although i can see where it might be appealing to others. i like bold pumpkins but this just didn't work for me. disappointing (especially considering it's $12.95 price point).

(originally reviewed: 12-20-2011)

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a semi-transparent reddish brown color with very little tan head. A tad bit of lacing.

The nose is huge. Lots of spices, pumpkin and rum. Boozy with a ton of heat. It smells like a sweet booze bomb, but in a nice way.

The taste is just as powerful as the nose, if not more. A ton of autumn spices, with some gingerbread and pumpkin. The rum brings out some spices, vanilla and a hefty amount of boozy heat.

The mouthfeel is smooth and rich, thick and syrupy, and creamy.
A bit of a cloying feel is brought by the sweetness. Low carbonation.

Overall, this is is sweet, beastly, rich, and powerful. Great flavors and enjoyable complexity.

3.7/5  rDev -7.5%

Time to catch up on reviews of beers I had over the holidays. On draft at Capone's. Served in a 5.5 oz snifter...

A - Presented a deep orange color with some honey-like highlights when held to the light. Surprisingly nice eggshell white head that recedes to a cap. Some nice lacing.

S - Whoa. Sweet rum and vanilla come out right away; much more rum than I would've expected. This is followed by a big blast of nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, brown sugar and pumpkin. The aromas are quite sweet.

T - Quite sweet and very rich; and I have a BIG sweet-tooth. Lots of rum stands out mixing trying to mix with the pumpkin and pumokin pie spices (allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon). Caramel malts and oak come through too making it seem much sweeter.

M - Medium to full bodied beer that is quite rich, sticky and sweet. Higher carbonation than I would've expected, but it was on tap.

O - The sweetness of this one, mixed with the high ABV, made it a little tough to get through. DEFINITELY a sipper if I've ever encountered one. Really interesting idea, although I wonder if rum barrels were the best choice for a beer like this.

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I had a 9/2012 rumpkin on 9/2013. The bottle abv is stated at 18.1%

the pour was very cloudy like fresh apple cider, settles out to a nice amber.
The aroma is fruity, with a hint of caramel and raisin.
It was light on the pallet, with an alcohol mouth feel, and very little carbonation.
A sweet flavor, with the rum and spice pleasantly noticeable at the end.
The whole is a greater sum of its parts.

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

My Halloween beer, because I can. Newest batch is 15.9%

A - Pours a half dinger head, cappuccino in color which quickly dissipates. Body is burnt indian red which is slightly hazy.

S - Mostly sweet candies. Some alcohol. I'm picking up some sourness, like a sour cream, but in a good way.

T - The alcohol is there throughout. This is not a "spicy" pumpkin beer, but hints of cinnamon and cloves with a stronger allspice flavor. I don't taste the rum, but the alcohol is not hidden. Some sweet plum as well.

M - Nicely balanced with good carbonation and feel.

O - a bit much on the alcohol and I am not totally convinced it is a pumpkin beer. It is tasty and well done on all other effects. Much better than the current year Beast which is way too hot.

2012 version - A lot more pumpkin in this than I remember from 2011. I think I like it better.

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Had on-tap at Rattle N Hum at the Avery tap takeover on 10/25/11.
Review taken from notes.

This beer pours a dark mahogany copper color with some ruby hues. There was a tiny layer of off-white head that dissipated very quickly leaving some specs of lace behind on the glass. The nose is big and sweet. There are dark toasted malt, dark fruits, spiced rum, pumpkin, and holiday spices. There is a big booziness as well. The taste is deep dark and sweet. There are fruit flavors like raisin, fig, cherry, and plum. There is a hefty dose of pumpkin, cinnamon, and brown sugar. It is quite boozy, which is to be expected from a beer that is almost 14% alcohol. The whole flavor seems to linger on the palate in the finish. This is full bodied and has more carbonation than I thought it would have. There is some tingling and some roastiness. There is quite a bit of sweetness, and pretty big boozy warmth in the finish. This has really good drinkability. It is most definitely a slow sipper, but the flavor is great. I enjoyed every drop of this one. I really think the rum barrels were a good choice for this beer. I recommend trying this. I thought it was great.

3.14/5  rDev -21.5%

From notes: Had on tap at Avery. 5 oz taster

A-- Poured an opaque ruby color, no head at all, small layer of film. Just a few small carbonation bubbles.

S-- All spice, Nutmeg, pumpkin and rum. ABV is well hidden for a high ABV beer.

T-- Dark rum, all spice, nutmeg, and pumpkin. Very sweet and a lot of alcohol.

M-- This was tingly, thick and syrupy. Very sweet and a lot of alcohol. Was told Goslings rum barrels were used for it. Could easily taste that though.

D-- Taster was more than enough. Great nose but after that not much great about it. More like rum and very sweet I thought. Too syrupy and not a huge fan of rum. Had to try it though.

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 2, bottled 9/17/12. 12 oz foil topped bottle into a brandy snifter.

A - Pours a rather clear burnt orange/brown color. Some small off white bubbles dissipate quickly leaving behind a very still body. Swirling creates some minute bubbles and leaves behind a thin alcoholic trace.

S - Pumpkin and squash flesh, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some rich malty toffee. The finish is harsh alcohol and some sweet vanilla. The beginning is quite nice and reminiscent of many pumpkin ales, but the alcohol just burns the nose and prevents the aroma from being approachable. I find myself smelling it from a few inches away from the glass rather than stuffing my nose in like most beers.

T - Starts off with some basic roasted pumpkin flesh flavors along with the standard spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and all spice. These flavors are then interrupted by a huge wave of alcohol that burns the mouth and throat. Aftertaste is of oak and some brief vanilla. The rum is just noticeable in a lingering spice. Disappointing and light in the flavor department. Its saving grace is that its not too sweet or cloying.

M - Medium to thin bodied with low carbonation. Drink ability is quite low. I'm struggling with the first 6 oz pour.

O - I really wanted to like this one, but alas I'm just left perplexed. Sticking a pumpkin ale in a rum barrel sounds like an amazing idea. Somewhere along the line Avery decided to make the beer an 18% abv monster. Big boozy beers rarely bother me, but this one is just a bit too harsh and simple.

4.34/5  rDev +8.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary snifter. Liquid comes out a pretty nice amber red color that gets closer to autumn orange when you hold it up to the light. Only a small white to off white colored head. Goes away pretty quick and not much in the way of lacing. Excellent clarity on the beer but a little bit of glass retention of the liquid itself, sort of syrupy.

Smell is pretty good, but really more unique than anything else in my opinion. Some classic pumpkin pie aromas including spices. Blends well with the rum, a little woody too, but it's an afterthought.

The taste is a huge step up from the smell, it's wonderful. Pumpkin comes out much stronger here. More of a hearty natural pumpkin flavor that's sweetened up a bit. Still a spicy note with a nice spoonful of molasses mixed in topped off with a nice sweet rum flavor. All in all this is one tasty beer.

Mouthfeel is good. Certainly full bodied and a slight weak carbonation level. For such a high alcohol beer, it's actually not too hot, I'm sure rum has something to do with it instead of the normal bourbon or whiskey barrel beers. The balance is good, starts really sweet and a nice warm finish. It's drinkable but certainly a nice sipper. Good night cap beer on a cool evening. Well done Avery, another solid brew.

4.92/5  rDev +23%

Rumpkin (Batch No. 2) opens with a heavy rum scent that can be detected from a good foot or so away from the bottle. Up close the rum aromas mingle with heavy doses of fruit esters, including the obvious pumpkin, but an equally large helping of banana. The fruits are so strong here that they actually overtake the rum after the bottle has been opened for a few seconds, and the beer more resembles a fresh-baked batch of banana bread. Good edges of toast crust and buttery graham cracker add to the pastry qualities of the nose, joined by heavy whipping cream, Bailey’s Irish Cream, vanilla bean, caramel syrup, molasses, almond extract, and oak. As a whole, the nose is very intriguing, bearing little resemblance to a beer (or, in fact, any other beer I’ve ever encountered), and obviously speaking to an incredible amount of sugars. It says much of these sugars that the incredibly high 18.1% ABV is mainly apparent as a liqueur-like rim, as if just slightly too much Bailey’s had been added to a bowl of whole-bean vanilla ice cream. Very interestingly, the rum barrel aging is not as present here as could be expected, mainly seeming to add extra touches of vanilla, as well as oak. The overall effect is quite incredible.

On the tongue, the beer opens with a heavy shot of alcohol that makes immediately apparent the high ABV. The first impressions are of cognac, bourbon, rum, and orange liqueur mixed together, the alcohol, charcoal, and charred oak strong enough that they bite at the tongue, shoot heavy vapors up the nose, and give the beer all the appearance of a spiced and high-quality rum on the rocks. A good dose of the pumpkin and banana fruit esters comes through, with additional spice support from pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and allspice. Some graham cracker and toast crust elements add to the pie feeling of the flavor palate. Heavy whipped creams, vanillas, molasses, and caramel sit atop the pile. The effect is that of a nicely-spiced pumpkin pie topped with heavy cream, eaten contiguously with a thick, moist, chewy slice of five-star banana bread, and all of it washed down with an aged, smooth, fruity spiced rum. The aftertaste is a long-lingering continuation of these impressions, still easily detectable after a full two minutes. Mouthfeel is an alcohol-burning medium, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is stunning beer, and most certainly not your average pumpkin ale. The difference between this and the standard seasonal offering is kind of like the difference between a Toyota Camry and a fire-breathing, gas-guzzling, nitroused funny car. This does, of course, mean that anyone not already familiar with some of the more extreme possibilities of barrel aging should likely be very wary of this brew, and anyone who finds the alcohol kick of straight bourbon or rum should also stay away. But if you are a fan, and you’re ready to spend several hours nursing this sucker (because there’s no way you’re going to shoot this in ten minutes), it’s definitely an amazing offering.

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured into a wine glass.

Dark brown/amber in color. One finger of off white head. Decent retention and lacing. Nice legs.

Smells of rum, spice, caramel, and molasses.

Taste follows smell. Quite sweet, molasses, caramel, pumpkin, rum, oaky vanilla, rum. Kinda like taking a bite of apple pie, a bite of pumpkin pie, and vanilla ice cream followed by a tiny sip of rum.

Well carbonated, medium bodied. Touch oilly.

For some reason it just doesn't all come together right. A touch too sweet for sure.

4/5  rDev 0%

From notes on 3/29/15

On Tap. Glad I got the 6 ounce pour. Not that it isn’t good, it is just soooo sweet. Might as well be drinking a glass of rum. Tastes basically like a rum candy.

3.87/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Dec 2011

6 ounce pour into a globe glass at Big Wood festival at Brouwers in Seattle.

Pours clear ruby with about a finger of off-white head.

Smells very strongly of sweet fruit, it’s kind of like rotting fruit. Not in a bad way, just the way it gets stronger and sweeter when it rots. You can smell the rum from a mile away. There are a few light spices and I can detect very little pumpkin.

The taste was a lot of booze and sweet fruits. No surprises. Very crisp and full.

Palate was decent. Lots of alcohol bite and very carbonated.

Overall, I expected more from this. Love the style, and love the brewery, but Great Pumpkin still stands as my favorite pumpkin beer.

Rumpkin from Avery Brewing Company