2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

RumpkinRumpkin

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  18.53% ABV

Availability: Fall

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 550 | Reviews: 172 | Show All Ratings:
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Another thank you to Mrbubbler for this high-test treat. Bottled Oct 5, 2011. 15.90% abv

Appearance. Pours a hazy, deep amber-orange with a very thin off-white head that quickly fades to a collar.

Smell. Rum, pumpkin spice, pumpkin, sweet caramel malts and molasses, and some old wood.

Taste. Pumpkin pie filling! Nice amount of spice, sweet and loads of pumpkin flavour. Some nice woody vanilla and a bit of rum. Not as boozy as I would have thought but the age may have helped in this department.

Mouthfeel. Full body, just a bit sticky. Low carbonation.

Overall. One of the better pumpkin beers I've tried. Love the drinkability considering the very high abv.

07-10-2013 18:43:54 | More by Rutager
Teleweizen2

4.26/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Avery rumpkin

A - pours a deep ruddy brownish amber. A rigorous pour yields a frothy tan head but quickly dissipates.

S - lots of brown sugar and other pumpkin flavors like clove and allspice. The spice of the pumpkin blends with the boozy rum to create notes of cake batter, licorice, nougat and black strap molasses.

T - a sweet, buttery and honeyed flavor up front. Toasty grains. Sweetness intensifies as well as Spices and boozy flavors mid palate. Molasses flavors play off of notes of clove, allspice, vanilla and menthol. There is a spicy finish with a lingering note of licorice.

M - smooth, buttery texture. Full bodied. Low carbonation creates a more viscous feel.

O - an great beer. Unique and flavorful. It drinks very easily. I genuinely did not know its strength. Definitely in the dessert beer category but it has been quite pleasure to taste this beer.

06-17-2013 03:36:46 | More by Teleweizen2
larryi86

Delaware

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Thank you JBMSH for sending me both batch 1 and 2

2012-Batch 2 poured into a snifter 4.2
A- A nice deep ruby red with a very small off-white head that fade very quickly. 4

S- Rum, pumpkin, sweet caramel malts, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar. 3.75

T- Holy shit! Pumpkin, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, oak, rum, think pumpkin pie made with rum, nice earthiness to balance the sweetness. Alcohol is present but it is not too hot or too much for 18.1%. ABV. 4.5

M- Full body, good carbonation, but the alcohol does get hot going down. 3.75

O- This is a great sipper and a lot more drinkable than I thought it was going to be. Rum adds a great flavor. Can't wait to try the 2011 bottle I have, really hope the alcohol has calmed down. 4.25

2011 Batch 1 poured into a snifter 4.14

A- A hazy dark ruby red with a two finger off-white that doesn't fade to nothing. 4

S- Sweet pumpkin, caramel malts, rum, some dark fruits, brown sugar, cinnamon, less alcohol than the 2012. 4

T- Pumpkin, cinnamon, brown sugar, dark fruits, some rum, oak, nutmeg, very sweet,really not much alcohol. 4.25

M- Smooth, full body, nice carbonation, almost no alcohol burn 4.25

O- Comprared to the 2012 this a look less boozy and easier to drink, it is sweeter which which I don't see as an improvement in taste. 4

Both years are great beers and enjoyable. I liked the earthiness of the fresher bottle and I feel it gave it better balance. I wish I could combine the flavor of the 2012 with the lack of booziness of the 2011.

06-14-2013 02:36:00 | More by larryi86
ThickNStout

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle from wagenvolks (sweet extra!). Bottled 9/17/12. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours a cherry mahogany hue with a thin wisp of bone head. No retention. No lace.

Smells of pumpkin, spices, rum and syrup.

Wow, this is crazy bold on flavor and booze. Sweet spiced rum, pumpkin, layers of spice and a lot of alcohol. It drinks hot but only half as hot as expected at 18.1%.

Syrupy thick with almost no carbonation. Pumpkin rum spice cake finish.

Great job by Avery in commiting to a flavor profile and nailing it. A nice treat in small doses. I'm glad that I split the bottle though, as a little goes a long way. I would happily drink it again though because this is a tasty beastly take on a seasonal classic.

06-01-2013 13:56:27 | More by ThickNStout
Smurf2055

Washington

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Dec 2011

6 ounce pour into a globe glass at Big Wood festival at Brouwers in Seattle.

Pours clear ruby with about a finger of off-white head.

Smells very strongly of sweet fruit, it’s kind of like rotting fruit. Not in a bad way, just the way it gets stronger and sweeter when it rots. You can smell the rum from a mile away. There are a few light spices and I can detect very little pumpkin.

The taste was a lot of booze and sweet fruits. No surprises. Very crisp and full.

Palate was decent. Lots of alcohol bite and very carbonated.

Overall, I expected more from this. Love the style, and love the brewery, but Great Pumpkin still stands as my favorite pumpkin beer.

04-01-2013 20:25:11 | More by Smurf2055
stumac

2.35/5  rDev -42.1%

Just watched I Heart Huckabees. Epic movie yet so humble in its honest and easy truth. Easy truth about the complexities of life. Any fart, this beer started out huge. Big pumpkin aroma and flavor. Some molasses. Spicy alcohol. Little hop profile. Then it immediately became a Dogfish 120. Not quite a Mephistopheles but almost a Samael. Dusty profile. Huge alcohol taste. One dimensional. Just heavy booze. Then it hit me. The complexities in this brew are buried beneath the dominate alcohol. So subtle but very real. Just like I Heart Huckabees, this beer is real life. Great at first, redundant inbetween, and a real eye opener in the end. Oh and it is crimson in color. Just like the other rum beer I've had in this series (The Black Tot) I think it's waaayyyy too boozy. Go fudge yourself Avery. Fudge away...

01-29-2013 05:20:42 | More by stumac
AltBock

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz. bottle with a gold seal around the cap and the neck of the bottle. The label looks like the side of a barrel. The main picture is that of a moonshine jug with Batch 2 and skull and crossbones on it sitting next to a plump pumpkin. Right on the front is where you'll find the vintage date and the cases produced number. This bottle is the 2012 version. To the far sides of the label is where you'll find all the mandatory US info, a description of the beer, and the beer's ingredients. Served in a Cycle Brewing Snifter.

This Pumpkin Ale poured a unique color. It was a cross between a reddish amber and an light orange color. As for the clarity of the beer, it was a little hazy. It's not as hazy as my memory will be after I finish this 18% beer. For the head of foam, don't expect much of anything. It was just a fizzy head of bubbles. These bubbles had no color to them. These fizzy bubbles quickly faded into oblivion. If I had a magnifying glass, I might have been able to spot some spots along the side of the beer. Even though the head of foam was on the weak side (that's what you get when dealing with a high proof beer), the beer still had a nice hue to it.

This beer was definitely aged in rum barrels. It had a strong aroma of rum and more rum. It didn't burn my nostrils with rum, but it was close. Behind the thick rum wall was some oak, a drop of pumpkin purée, burnt sugar, burnt molasses, a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg, and a subtle whiff of vanilla. It would have smelled like pumpkin pie if it wasn't for the rum. Pumpkin pie dipped in rum. That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

This beer is deceiving at first. It comes on smooth, but then it realizes its a high proof beer and in comes the alcohol. The taste kicks off with the pumpkin ale aspect of the beer first. Unlike the aroma where the rum came first. The first part was filled with pumpkin purée, toasted malt, a touch of burnt sugar, a drop of molasses, and a few spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and ginger. After all that, in comes the taste of rum and oak like a typhoon. At this point, the rum completely takes over the beer. It doesn't ruin the taste. It adds uniqueness.

I'm sure you know what the mouthfeel is going to be like from a beer like this. It was full bodied with a strong aftertaste of rum and oak. Besides the rum in the aftertaste, I also found some pumpkin, molasses, and a little cinnamon and nutmeg. The rum will stick around for a long time in the back of your mouth. You will feel this beer go to work on you.

This is definitely a sipper. Take your time with this beer. You're not going anywhere any time soon when you're drinking this beer. This is one of my more unique beers that I've had lately. Is it worth a shot? Oh yeah! Even if you're not a fan of pumpkin ales. It's still worth a shot.

01-23-2013 04:33:41 | More by AltBock
jzeilinger

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

This is a 2012 bottle that is being reviewed.

A - Pours an orange/ruby color that's a little hazy which disappears as it warms to crystal clear. The head is light tan color and dies down almost as quickly as it's poured, no carbonation.

S - Figs, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet caramel malt, and boozy rum aroma.

T - Sweet caramel malt briefly out front before being drowned out with pumpkin, cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, candied figs, light vanilla, light oak, and a huge medicinal wall of rum booziness. The sweetness is almost cloying at times. There is some nice complexity but it gets squashed and overshadowed by the aggressive rum presence. Leaves a coating of spices and rum in the mouth making it salivate like crazy.

M - Oily, viscous, slick, velvety smooth, full bodied, lightly syrupy.

O - The strong alcohol presence forced me to score this lower on the taste scale which is unfortunate because the beer is wonderfully complex. The first few sips left my throat with a "fire in the hole", too medicinal and needs to be aged to mellow out as would any young high alcohol beer like this. (IMO) 'Good thing I have (5) of these left to cellar experiment with. Looking forward to trying another in 6-12 months to see how it's progressing.

12-14-2012 00:18:12 | More by jzeilinger
ngeunit1

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Pours a cloudy orange-brown with a finger of frothy off-white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of sweet caramel malts, brown sugar, oak, rum, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, a bit of dark fruit, and some booze.

T - Starts off with some caramel malts with some brown sugar, pumpkin, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Through the middle, some oak and Rum comes through with some more pumpkin pie spices and a bit of dark fruit. The finish is a mix of brown sugar, Rum, oak, caramel malts, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, dark fruit, and some booze.

M - Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet, warming, and spicy finish.

D - Very drinkable. The almost 16% abv is well hidden and the overall balance is fantastic.

12-06-2012 07:08:58 | More by ngeunit1
russwbeck

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Sept. 17, 2012 Bottling. Enjoyed the day before the 2011 vintage.

A: The beer pours out of the bottle the most ridiculous color of orange I have ever seen. It rests in the glass almost brown, viscous as hell, and with an orange-tinted head. The head is nothing more than a few bubbles and hangs out for only a fleeting second. It just looks like a big beer. 4.5

S: The aroma is strangely muted. Spices, definitely some rum, and the pumpkin mostly. The alcohol is hot and dominates the other aromas. I guess I expected the pumpkin and rum to attack me right off the bat, but this seems to be a more blended, less aggressive aroma. 3

T: The taste is really focused on the rum. In fact, I'd almost say the rum is cut with pumpkin. There seems to be another factor adding thickness here, which I'll call molasses because the beer is really sweet. Spices rest on the backend, both from the beer and the rum barrel. The pumpkin really presents itself throughout the entire taste, attempting to compete with the rum when it reality it only plays second fiddle. The finish is all rum and vanilla and the beer warms you as you drink. I do like the beer despite it's over-the-top ruminess. I'm impressed that pumpkin can play on this level, but I'm afraid it isn't quite good enough to make this a top notch offering.

MF: The beer actually burns on the way down, which although I've had a good number of very high ABV beers, I can't say I'm used to. The body is thick and heavy, coating the mouth with rum and spice. The size of this beer makes the drinkability a bit lower than it could be. The alcohol just takes you over. 3.5

O: This beer quite literally warms my soul. I thought the fresh version was hot (something I remember when I had this on tap last year), so I'm excited to see what happened to the bottle I held on to for a year. If you can find this, buy it, and experience it. I doubt you'll regret it. 4

Oct. 2011 Bottling.

A: The body has gotten much darker, and the bright orange appearance that so struck me before has turned into more of a sludge amber with a white head. The body is much more clear than the 2012 version. As before, the bubbly head doesn't stick around that long at all. A ton of crap has built up at the bottom of the bottle, which I didn't pour into my glass. I can't stress enough that they look like different beers. 3.5

S: The pumpkin asserts itself much more, with the spices underneath. The rum plays well here and the booze is as strong as ever at the finish. I'm actually a little surprised the alcohol hasn't been cut a bit more, it's still almost burning my nostrils. 3

T: I'll say this right up front, the taste is significantly better. I'd say the best pumpkin beer I've had to this point. The balance, finally, is noticeable and MUCH appreciated. The sweetness is still big, and the caramel seems to be much stronger than any pumpkin. The rum and alcohol play big parts here, but as I said it's actually balanced. The spices are gone. Big malt finish and I appreciate the beer not burning on the way down. 5

MF: Thinner body with more carbonation. The drinkability is much higher because of the balance and lower level of noticeable alcohol. I still feel the 18.1% ABV after I'm about halfway through the bottle, however. 4

O: Huge improvement. I actually wish I had another bottle to hold onto for a few year. My guess is this will only continue to get better. I absolutely recommend you age this over drinking it fresh. Having had it fresh on tap and in the bottle, this is much better. 4.5

11-29-2012 00:09:06 | More by russwbeck
davey101

Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 2, bottled 9/17/12. 12 oz foil topped bottle into a brandy snifter.

A - Pours a rather clear burnt orange/brown color. Some small off white bubbles dissipate quickly leaving behind a very still body. Swirling creates some minute bubbles and leaves behind a thin alcoholic trace.

S - Pumpkin and squash flesh, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some rich malty toffee. The finish is harsh alcohol and some sweet vanilla. The beginning is quite nice and reminiscent of many pumpkin ales, but the alcohol just burns the nose and prevents the aroma from being approachable. I find myself smelling it from a few inches away from the glass rather than stuffing my nose in like most beers.

T - Starts off with some basic roasted pumpkin flesh flavors along with the standard spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and all spice. These flavors are then interrupted by a huge wave of alcohol that burns the mouth and throat. Aftertaste is of oak and some brief vanilla. The rum is just noticeable in a lingering spice. Disappointing and light in the flavor department. Its saving grace is that its not too sweet or cloying.

M - Medium to thin bodied with low carbonation. Drink ability is quite low. I'm struggling with the first 6 oz pour.

O - I really wanted to like this one, but alas I'm just left perplexed. Sticking a pumpkin ale in a rum barrel sounds like an amazing idea. Somewhere along the line Avery decided to make the beer an 18% abv monster. Big boozy beers rarely bother me, but this one is just a bit too harsh and simple.

11-25-2012 03:30:28 | More by davey101
dannyancient

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A:
2011 vintage poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip. Pours a burnt orange color that becomes a reddish rust color when held up to the light. The head pours off white, and disappears immediately

S:
Smells incredible. Notes of cinnamon, pumpkin, pumpkin pie, brown sugar, and maple syrup. There is also a great barrel aged aroma of oak, though the rum is not as prevalent as you might think. It seems to be surrounded by a very pleasant alcohol warmth, though it is secondary. Pretty amazing when you consider it's 15+% ABV.

T:
The taste is where this beer shines. A great pumpkin flavor wrapped around notes of brown sugar, cinnamon, maple syrup, molasses, and a really pleasant alcohol warmth that gets more pronounced as the beer warms.

M:
Really rich mouthfeel, full bodied with a light to medium carbonation. The alcohol hotness is really pleasant, and the barrel aged taste is great. I wish there were more of a rum flavor, but it could be that it's just blended into the mix. Great beer!

11-25-2012 01:27:29 | More by dannyancient
AndyAvalanche

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary snifter. Liquid comes out a pretty nice amber red color that gets closer to autumn orange when you hold it up to the light. Only a small white to off white colored head. Goes away pretty quick and not much in the way of lacing. Excellent clarity on the beer but a little bit of glass retention of the liquid itself, sort of syrupy.

Smell is pretty good, but really more unique than anything else in my opinion. Some classic pumpkin pie aromas including spices. Blends well with the rum, a little woody too, but it's an afterthought.

The taste is a huge step up from the smell, it's wonderful. Pumpkin comes out much stronger here. More of a hearty natural pumpkin flavor that's sweetened up a bit. Still a spicy note with a nice spoonful of molasses mixed in topped off with a nice sweet rum flavor. All in all this is one tasty beer.

Mouthfeel is good. Certainly full bodied and a slight weak carbonation level. For such a high alcohol beer, it's actually not too hot, I'm sure rum has something to do with it instead of the normal bourbon or whiskey barrel beers. The balance is good, starts really sweet and a nice warm finish. It's drinkable but certainly a nice sipper. Good night cap beer on a cool evening. Well done Avery, another solid brew.

11-23-2012 05:40:47 | More by AndyAvalanche
kawilliams81

Yukon (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

2011 vintage. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 8 oz snifter.

A- pours caramel in color with a half finger of cream colored head. No lacing.

S- caramel, cinnamon, maple syrup, nutmeg and faint pumpkin.

T- sweet maple syrup, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg.

M- medium body and carbonation. Syrupy with a alcohol burn still.

O- the rum aging works very well with the pumpkin beer. I think another year on this beer and the booze will fade more and will drink very well.

11-23-2012 04:46:26 | More by kawilliams81
JayQue

3.98/5  rDev -2%

A great over-the-top Avery beer. Pours a hazy orange/amber with a medium size light beige head on a hard pour from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Head retention and lacing are just about non-existent, as you would expect from a 15.9% abv beer.

Aroma is good. Cinnamon and allspice, rum, caramel malt, and a little oak.

Flavor is the same. The alcohol is very present but it is not overpowering. Sweet caramel malts, cinnamon, allspice, pumpkin and oak are all present in a boozy concoction.

Mouthfeel is rich and spicy. The alcohol fall just short of off-putting, adds some warmth and a little bite.

In all a very good winter slow sipper.

11-22-2012 04:19:45 | More by JayQue
Alieniloquium

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Firestone Walker snifter. Bottled October 5, 2011. Labeled 15.90% ABV. Trying to get rid of bottles in my "cellar," but this one isn't in my catalog. Just found it back there. Hate when that happens. It's like it doesn't even count.

Appearance - Burnt orange to deep ruby body. Ample head as I pour it, but it's short lived. Collar sticks around a while. Sediment floats about the glass.

Smell - I can smell the rum from the initial crack of the cap. Spiced rum. Further inspection reveals a deep molasses sweetness and a ton of booze. Reminiscent of a rum barreled English barleywine.

Taste - Smooth sweet caramel and rum. Maybe some pumpkin there, definitely the spices associated. Cinnamon and nutmeg. All that stuff. After the initial flavors, an oaky dry boozy wave of alcohol hits. Sharp flavors sting the tongue. It settles to a lingering sugar flavor. The flavors aren't bad, but the alcohol is killer.

Mouthfeel - The blast of booze in the middle makes it very difficult to drink. Initial flavor is good, but the knowledge that the second wave of flavor will hit is fearsome.

Overall - I doubt I'm going to be able to finish this. I figured I could handle the 12 oz. bottle, but this is intense. Not really worth the flavors it provides.

11-20-2012 01:34:16 | More by Alieniloquium
Brewnami

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I scooped up one these by chance as my local beer store was not suppose to get any of these... Glad they did though! Poured into a snifter, stuck my nose into it, and was punched in the face with rum notes, nutmeg, and pumpkin. Pours with a slight head and quickly disipates to a clear, dark redish/orange color brew. Very smooth and sweet and the first sip left behind a nice burn in my chest almost as if I took a shot of whiskey. The most overwhelming notes on the palate to me is the rum and molasses sweetness. This is a very refreshing change from the super bready big pumpkin beers on the market like the Pumpking from Southern Tier... Though no where near the ABV of this. Aside from this being a little to much on the sweet side, I wish I was able to get more and set aside until next year because I would love to see how this would do with a year or two of aging. Overall great beer, especially if you're a fan of extreme brews! Plus since only 418 cases of this were sold this year, you would be silly not to pick on up if you find it and have not tried it yet!

11-19-2012 02:24:02 | More by Brewnami
lokieman

Oklahoma

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into tulip:

A: Pours a clear dark orange with a slight haze. Very little white head that dissipates very quickly at 18%

S: So complex...sweet boozy pumpkin pie. Earthy spices cut through an ever present rum sweetness. So much going on here...

T: Spicy dessert, rum fruitcake are the first 2 flavors I get. A vanilla barrel sweetness hits you just behind the initial taste finishing with a delightful rum booziness. Definitely a great sipper on a cool fall night. Surprisingly smooth for 18%. As it warms all these flavors intensify, making having a Rumpkin a 1.5 to 2 hour experience. Love it...

M: Very smooth and creamy. Just enough carbonation and crispness to keep it from becoming cloying at 45 degrees. As it warms to cellar temps a stickiness begins to develop as I would expect with a beer of this nature.

O: Rumpkin is as well crafted as any "extreme", high gravity brew out there. Very difficult to make 18% as palatable as Avery has. Brewdog should take some notes from these guys. Job well done..

11-19-2012 01:36:12 | More by lokieman
LubricatedWisdom76

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

Bottle at Hop n Pie poured into a snifter and sipped SLOWLY!

Aroma: Dark malts mixed with a spiced rum quality like your smelling a bottle of Captain Morgan or Kraken. A small whiff of aromatic pumpkin and a but of woodsy funk from the barrel.

Taste: Pumpkin pie with a shot of rum! This is really one of the best pumpkin beers I have ever had. The fact that you can taste all of the layers of ingredients at 18% ABV is an accomplishment. I got candied sugar, dark molasses, vanilla, oak, spices, and, of course, pumpkin and a faint balance of grassy hops to balance the considerable sweetness.

Most beers of this strength end up being overpowered by the sugar or alcohol heat but this is drinkable and still tastes like a beer. A true seasonal celebration beer that is special and continues to change as it warms up. It is more like rum or a liquor but with a drinkability that is uncommon for extreme beers.

Mouthfeel: Thick in body but not syrupy or sludgy, doesn't coat or leave oily. Doesn't have the pancake syrup quality of many strong beers and that's a good thing!

Overall: If you see this, drink it. Period.

11-12-2012 16:16:04 | More by LubricatedWisdom76
jondeelee

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

Rumpkin (Batch No. 2) opens with a heavy rum scent that can be detected from a good foot or so away from the bottle. Up close the rum aromas mingle with heavy doses of fruit esters, including the obvious pumpkin, but an equally large helping of banana. The fruits are so strong here that they actually overtake the rum after the bottle has been opened for a few seconds, and the beer more resembles a fresh-baked batch of banana bread. Good edges of toast crust and buttery graham cracker add to the pastry qualities of the nose, joined by heavy whipping cream, Bailey’s Irish Cream, vanilla bean, caramel syrup, molasses, almond extract, and oak. As a whole, the nose is very intriguing, bearing little resemblance to a beer (or, in fact, any other beer I’ve ever encountered), and obviously speaking to an incredible amount of sugars. It says much of these sugars that the incredibly high 18.1% ABV is mainly apparent as a liqueur-like rim, as if just slightly too much Bailey’s had been added to a bowl of whole-bean vanilla ice cream. Very interestingly, the rum barrel aging is not as present here as could be expected, mainly seeming to add extra touches of vanilla, as well as oak. The overall effect is quite incredible.

On the tongue, the beer opens with a heavy shot of alcohol that makes immediately apparent the high ABV. The first impressions are of cognac, bourbon, rum, and orange liqueur mixed together, the alcohol, charcoal, and charred oak strong enough that they bite at the tongue, shoot heavy vapors up the nose, and give the beer all the appearance of a spiced and high-quality rum on the rocks. A good dose of the pumpkin and banana fruit esters comes through, with additional spice support from pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and allspice. Some graham cracker and toast crust elements add to the pie feeling of the flavor palate. Heavy whipped creams, vanillas, molasses, and caramel sit atop the pile. The effect is that of a nicely-spiced pumpkin pie topped with heavy cream, eaten contiguously with a thick, moist, chewy slice of five-star banana bread, and all of it washed down with an aged, smooth, fruity spiced rum. The aftertaste is a long-lingering continuation of these impressions, still easily detectable after a full two minutes. Mouthfeel is an alcohol-burning medium, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is stunning beer, and most certainly not your average pumpkin ale. The difference between this and the standard seasonal offering is kind of like the difference between a Toyota Camry and a fire-breathing, gas-guzzling, nitroused funny car. This does, of course, mean that anyone not already familiar with some of the more extreme possibilities of barrel aging should likely be very wary of this brew, and anyone who finds the alcohol kick of straight bourbon or rum should also stay away. But if you are a fan, and you’re ready to spend several hours nursing this sucker (because there’s no way you’re going to shoot this in ten minutes), it’s definitely an amazing offering.

11-12-2012 01:26:12 | More by jondeelee
spdyfire83

Ireland

2.73/5  rDev -32.8%

283rd Review
12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass
Vintage: 2011 (bottled: 5 Oct. 2011) – 15.8%

From notes. Enjoyed a while back and just getting around to notes now.

A: Organish tannish brownish amberish; you get the point. Single (light mocha) fingernail head on gentle pour.

S: Loads of booze from the get-go here; mainly rum (go figure!). Diced pumpkin and butternut squash follow as well as soft touch of cinnamon, all spice, and vanilla. Booze dominates and almost distract.

T: Big. Bold. Bad. Booziness is a bit too much for this beer as rum is noticeable (and dominant) start to finish. Mix of pumpkin and light spice dances in the middle with vanilla notes towards the end. Again, mostly just booze. I feel like a broken record.

M: Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation.

O: I didn’t like this beer as much as I thought I would. I love pumpkin beers, but the booziness is distracting to me. Not sure the process to sit this on rum barrels, but I’d be curious to know if there’s any way to cut the ABV a bit to optimize the flavour profile of this a bit more. It has potential at a lower ABV to be good (the autumn pumpkin spice notes are nice and well executed when not hidden), but again just too boozy.

11-08-2012 12:51:13 | More by spdyfire83
Ricelikesbeer

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

I'm happy to see Avery released Rumpkin for sale, (even in limited quantaties). I have had this now a few times and am always impressed and blown away. I think this is a hard one for people's palates because of the monstous nature of the beer, and people's perceptions of what a pumpkin beer should be like. To me this is something completely outside of normal pumpkin beer paramaters.

A: Slightly hazy, dull brown, with some orange highlights. Very little carbonation, and a slight head with some wine-like legs on the sides of the glass. Pours viscous and with a solid chug-chug.

S: Alcohol!!! And lots of it. It's like breathing in a nice big whiff of staight ethanol. After that burning in your nostrils you pick up a rummy-malty hit., and a slight spice. This one is more barrel character than a standard pumpkin ale, and has lots of fruitiness and some burnt sugar aromas as well. the depth is like a strong port wine.

T: More boozy, estery intensity. This occurs more as you warm it up. (As do many of the complexities. I'm reminded of dark spiced rum, raisins, brown sugar cookies, slight woody-char flavor, and some light spice. (I can't pick out any one spice more than another.) I get a slight oaky/vanilla character as well. Very sweet and syrupy, I couldn't drink a ton of this.

M: Thick, chewy, as viscous as any imperial stout. Its amazing they can balance this monster whatsoever.

O: Splitting this one 3 ways was about right. The alcohol and thickness of this one makes it difficult to drink much of in a session. Despite the booziness and alcohol burn (What do you expect at 18%?) I really like this one and would buy it each year. Its almost like drinking something outside of the beer realm. If you like strong beer, rum, or any dessert-like beverage, than seek this one out despite the steep price tag. I'd like to set a few aside next chance I get, I'd love to have a 5 year old version of this one.

11-05-2012 20:54:24 | More by Ricelikesbeer
PeterIngemi

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Shared a 12oz bottle poured into a duvel glass

A: looks like a cross between barleywine, and pumpkin cider. A brown orange murky hue with littleto no head.

S: deffinatly can smell the rum barrels, along with pumking and caramel, I get a hint of cinnamon spice in the aroma bit not overwhelming, smells pretty good.

T: wow, this is delicious, I don usually like pumpkin beers either, tastes like delicious pumkin pie, with a almost cider like touch, I get caramel covered pumkins, rolled in a very nicley balanced bled of spices, and some deffinate rum on the finish, very wel balanced and delicious.

M: heavy mouthfeel with a nice medium crisp carbonation that keeps it from being syrupy, very nice mouthfeel for a barrel aged offering of this Huge abv... And while you deffinatly get oak and rum notes, particularly in the finish , I feel the boozy notes are well hidden and complimentary.

O: this is a really good brew.... Rum barrel aging seems to really round out the spice of this abv monster, giving it a nice pumpkin pie like spicing without being overbearing.... I really enjoyed this.... Honestly I went in With a negative attitude, not being a fan of the style, the idea sounded gross to me, and I now have a favorite pumkin beer, glad I have this a try.

10-30-2012 23:58:04 | More by PeterIngemi
grittybrews

Washington

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured a brilliant ruby-orange with just a few bubbles on the oily surface. Great big aroma with pumpkin, cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla, and just a hint of booze.

Moderate carbonation and a prickly, heavy mouthfeel. Big brown sugar up front with hint of pumpkin and spice before a hot blast of oaky vanilla.

The taste didn't quite live up to the aroma, probably because the alcohol is overwhelming the subtler elements. Have another bottle for the cellar so we'll see how this drinks in a year or two.

10-28-2012 20:18:56 | More by grittybrews
GilGarp

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottled September 17th of this year.

Poured into a goblet, Rumpkin is a hazy copper color with barely any head.

Aroma is rich and boozy with a big hit of a rum barrel.

Flavor is huge and intense with rum, primarily, but also some pumpkin and pie spice. The barrels impart some vanilla but the rum character really overpowers it.

Mouthfeel is big in body, low in carbonation, and high in alcohol.

An interesting beer and just about as big as it gets. Worth a try but probably only once.

10-25-2012 03:46:46 | More by GilGarp