Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  16.73% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,061 | Reviews: 239
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled on Sept. 6 2013. 18.53% ABV.

A- Small creme caramel head that quickly dissipated to nothing. Deep garnet with a small degree of clarity, can see the shadow of my finger through the glass. Sticks to the glass like a spirit. Some fine particles in the glass, could be yeast, pumpkin, or spices.

S- Lots and lots of caramelized sugars followed by some mellow spices of cinnamon, mace and allspice, some vanilla and a light pumpkin mellowness. The alcohol is present but not nearly to the degree I thought this 18% beer would be.

T- Similar to the aroma. Very, very sweet, one of the sweetest beers I've had. Caramelized sugars, marshmallow, lots of rum raisin, the ABV comes on more in the taste can definitely tell this is a strong beer. The spices a there at a nice balanced level. Slight burn as it goes down the throat. Some vanilla and wood from the barrel on the end.

M- Heavy mouthfeel, a definite sipper.

O- This beer is very sweet, a bit too sweet for me to finish one bottle by myself, should have split this with someone. It took me about 2 hours to drink the thing. After a while thought it really grew on me, maybe I was just getting drunk. An interesting beer that I'm really going back and forth on a lot of aspects of the flavor but ultimately it's just too sweet for me to really find it outstanding, and I generally love sweet beers like Wee Heavys and English Barleywines.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle. Enjoyed this on Thanksgiving Day with a slice of pecan pie and also pumpkin pie. Poured a dark amber color with minimal head. Smells incredible, spiced rum, spices, caramel, malt. Tastes-Whoa! The high ABV is not hidden at all but still has amazing flavors. Pumpkin? Pretty subtle. Spiced rum dominates. Finishes hot. I shared the bottle which was a good idea. Perfect end to a huge Thanksgiving day meal and paired very well with dessert.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.17/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm just not really sure how to describe what I was tasting. Was like drinking a really thick, mulled cider. Lots of rum, cloves, cinnamon, and alcohol burn. Not very smooth and I don't really feel like the flavors complimented each other. Glad I was given the opportunity to try this, but don't really feel l need another. Possibly would be better with aging.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.16/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Just need to weigh in on this beer. Poured from a bottle in to a Hill Farmstead stemmed snifter. I tried to be patient and let this bad boy warm on the cabinet for a while before cracking open. Should have waited a tad more, but wow. Even at a colder temp you could tell it was going places. As it warmed it began revealing amazing, boozy pumpkin pie flavors. I paired it with some extremely dark chocolate and was in heaven.

I first had this beer at FOBAB in 2012 and recalled adoring it. This was my first chance to revisit it and I'm hoping it becomes an annual thing. I can't recommend this beer enough if you're a fan of big, spicy-sweet yam and pumpkin beers. I do wish I'd enjoyed one at the height of the Autumn months. This would be an absolute gem on a crisp Autumn day.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Rumpkin from Avery Brewing Company