Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  18.53% ABV

Availability: Fall

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 526-550 | 551-575 | 576-600  | next › last »
ragoins

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from 12 oz. bottle at Common Table. Much more rum beer than pumpkin beer in smell and especially taste. Smooth mouthfeel for such high alcohol content. Sweetness masked any alcohol burn for me - however the sweetness grew to a nearly intolerable level before the bottle was halfway finished. Glad to have tried this one, but far, far too sweet to order again.

11-06-2013 21:04:04 | More by ragoins
BostonHops

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
bottled oct 11, 2011

pours a deep, dark amber tone while yielding a short-lived 3/4" head; a bit of patchy lacing evident. nose is rich, sweet, and malty with notes of rum, spice, and booze. for better or worse you know this one will be something else.

flavor is hugely sweet and malty... and boozy; cloyingly sweet, in fact, all of which in my opinion overshadow it's other characteristics (spice, pumpkin, molasses, a little vanilla - which are discernible, just eclipsed). medium-full on the palate with average carbonation.

overall, just way too sweet and boozy for my taste, although i can see where it might be appealing to others. i like bold pumpkins but this just didn't work for me. disappointing (especially considering it's $12.95 price point).

(originally reviewed: 12-20-2011)

06-22-2012 23:17:13 | More by BostonHops
Duff27

06-05-2013 01:52:06 | More by Duff27
perrymarcus

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
bottled oct 11, 2011

nose is rich, sweet, and malty with notes of rum, spice, and booze.

flavor is hugely sweet and malty... and boozy; cloyingly sweet, in fact, all of which in my opinion overshadow it's other characteristics (spice, pumpkin, molasses, a little vanilla). medium-full on the palate with average carbonation.

overall, just way too sweet and boozy for my taste, although i can see where it might be appealing to others. disappointing (especially considering it's $12.95 price point).

12-20-2011 03:57:45 | More by perrymarcus

2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

283rd Review
12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass
Vintage: 2011 (bottled: 5 Oct. 2011) – 15.8%

From notes. Enjoyed a while back and just getting around to notes now.

A: Organish tannish brownish amberish; you get the point. Single (light mocha) fingernail head on gentle pour.

S: Loads of booze from the get-go here; mainly rum (go figure!). Diced pumpkin and butternut squash follow as well as soft touch of cinnamon, all spice, and vanilla. Booze dominates and almost distract.

T: Big. Bold. Bad. Booziness is a bit too much for this beer as rum is noticeable (and dominant) start to finish. Mix of pumpkin and light spice dances in the middle with vanilla notes towards the end. Again, mostly just booze. I feel like a broken record.

M: Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation.

O: I didn’t like this beer as much as I thought I would. I love pumpkin beers, but the booziness is distracting to me. Not sure the process to sit this on rum barrels, but I’d be curious to know if there’s any way to cut the ABV a bit to optimize the flavour profile of this a bit more. It has potential at a lower ABV to be good (the autumn pumpkin spice notes are nice and well executed when not hidden), but again just too boozy.

11-08-2012 12:51:13 | More by spdyfire83
TenHornsProud

Colorado

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a cloudy orange/red/burgundy with a small brown head that quickly dissipates.

Smell is rum, caramel, sweet oxidized notes, cherry, booze, and oak barrel. Good, typical barrel aged smell.

Taste is up front rum and cherry/sherry that fades into a hint of spice and sweetness and ends on an absolutely sweet and absolutely boozy note. A real boozy mess if ever there was one. The barrel notes are nice but the booze character takes over everything.

Heavy body with low carbonation, and cloyingly sweet.

I wanted to like this beer but it is too boozy and too sweet. These aspects take over any subtle other flavors that might appear. Maybe with age this will settle some, but it's hard to imagine it getting much better with the sweetness as high as it is. I get the appeal, but a rare miss from Avery for me.

12-28-2011 23:38:08 | More by TenHornsProud
zeledonia

2.64/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled 7 September 2012. Tasted 6 September 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours an orange brown color. Clear at the top, murky at the bottom from the sediment. Just a little bit of off-white head.

Basically smells like rum, with a little bit of spice and a little bit of pumpkin. It's like sweet, candied rum. And alcohol. I tend not to drink hard liquor, so I can find its character overpowering. But this is another level.

Taste is... alcohol. It's burning, and I can barely get past it. Doesn't have enough flavor to contend with that unmasked alcohol. A touch of pumpkin and spice, but it's like pumpkin flavored rum rather than pumpkin pie. Yes, I know it's a high-ABV beer, but it's so one-dimensional.

Feel is good. Medium-bodied, with a buoyancy that the evaporative alcohol provides. Carbonation is medium-low, but that's okay for a beer like this.

Just doesn't do it for me. It's super alcoholic, and more rum beer than pumpkin beer for sure. I'm buzzed just from my share of this 12 oz. bottle. Yikes, this is potent. Not a whole lot of positive flavors, and a serious alcohol burn. Not one I'd drink again, and I struggled to finish off the bottle with my friend (who said it seemed more appropriate for drinking down by the railroad tracks).

10-28-2013 20:09:34 | More by zeledonia
billab914

2.53/5  rDev -37.8%

12oz bottle into my Stone IRS glass. It poured a caramel brown color with a thin white head sticking to the edges of the glass.

The aroma shows a lot of the rum flavors to it. I get some woody notes mixing with the earthy pumpkin pie, nutmeg and allspice flavors. Lots of sweet, sugary and boozy flavors coming though in it.

The taste is very boozy and sweet. I get a sugary sweet maltiness mixing with the rum booziness and a little pumpkin pie spice in the finish. The sweet, sugary maltiness is just way too overdone in it for me making it almost undrinkable.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being below average. Overall I didn't really care for it. It was cloyingly sweet with too much boozy rum showing through. The pumpkin beer flavors just seemed completely hidden and overshadowed to me. Not an enjoyable beer for me at all.

12-10-2011 02:49:46 | More by billab914

Exiled

12-04-2011 04:54:25 | More by Exiled
stumac

2.35/5  rDev -42.3%

Just watched I Heart Huckabees. Epic movie yet so humble in its honest and easy truth. Easy truth about the complexities of life. Any fart, this beer started out huge. Big pumpkin aroma and flavor. Some molasses. Spicy alcohol. Little hop profile. Then it immediately became a Dogfish 120. Not quite a Mephistopheles but almost a Samael. Dusty profile. Huge alcohol taste. One dimensional. Just heavy booze. Then it hit me. The complexities in this brew are buried beneath the dominate alcohol. So subtle but very real. Just like I Heart Huckabees, this beer is real life. Great at first, redundant inbetween, and a real eye opener in the end. Oh and it is crimson in color. Just like the other rum beer I've had in this series (The Black Tot) I think it's waaayyyy too boozy. Go fudge yourself Avery. Fudge away...

01-29-2013 05:20:42 | More by stumac
champ103

2.33/5  rDev -42.8%

On tap at Rudyard's in Houston.

A: Pours a clear burnt orange color. No head forms and no lace. Looks pretty lifeless.
S: An odd mix of peppery spice, pumpkin bread, and lots of alcohol.
T: Again lots of spicy flavors. Pumpkin and tons of alcohol. Fusel ethanol like alcohol. Plenty of sweetness as well. Actually, pretty much just sweetness and alcohol burn. I am not enjoying this.
M/D: A medium to full body. Low on the carbonation that is heavy and sticky. Really hard to drink. Way to much fusel alcohol.

I did not enjoy this. To much alcohol and nothing else really mixes well. I would not recommend this. I love Avery, but this is a big miss.

12-31-2010 03:28:53 | More by champ103

12-29-2013 16:25:47 | More by david18
Siriusfisherman

Montana

1.73/5  rDev -57.5%

I had a bottle with a someone a couple nights ago, hands down the worst tasting beer I have ever had. I see lots of people giving this beer good reviews and I can only think that I got a bad bottle.
It looked fine, but it smelled and tasted like someone poured a glass of rum and a punch of rotten, fermented pumpkin in my ale. I could not stand anymore than three sips, it was horrid and I had a terrible stomach ache all night. I am very disappointed with avery, I know that they didn't intend for this to happen and it was a mishap, but if a beer is that expensive I expect it to be done properly. I don't want this to be taken as a bashing of avery, I just wanted to log my experience of this beer and hopefully make people aware that there may have been a bad barrel or two.

12-29-2011 17:12:31 | More by Siriusfisherman
FeDUBBELFIST

1.3/5  rDev -68.1%

8oz draft pour served in a slender tulip for $8. Sampled 12/16/11.

Per the menu, "this beer is breed with pumpkin puree and a blend of 5 spices...aged in extremely fresh Gosling's rum barrels for 6 months..."

A: Pours a completely opaque, very dark amber color with ruby highlights along the glass's edge. Less than 1 finger of head on the pour which is light tan in color and quick to disappear. While a solid collar remains, lacing is unlikely. And it is.

S: After many intriguing sniffs, I'm unsure if the aroma is decent or detestable. Big pumpkin puree aroma with sopping wet dark fruit standing in uncut dark rum. The autumnal spices play the background more than expected, which is the only positive I find in the nose. Ultimately, I've decided this beer is not for me. And the longer the beer sits - the more offensive it becomes. Pumpkin beers are clearly not suited for stratospheric levels of alcohol.

T: Sickly sweet. The malty sweetness is just too big for the flavor profile. The caramel component is abrasively strong and adds unnecessarily to the already-too-prominent flavors of toffee and butterscotch. These flavors linger long, overstaying their welcome for minutes after each sip. Someone get me a glass of water. Somebody else: Light me up a cigarette.

M: The mouthfeel is actually decent. Adequate carbonation. Gently fizzy...but still cloyingly sweet. The rum barrel is less significant on the palate - mainly showing up on the backend - where it leads to an entirely unpleasant finish. Way too hot. Attenuation seems low.

O: I planned on Rumpkin being my last beer of the night, but that wouldn't have been fair to myself or my palate. So I sent back what remained in the glass and ordered something that I could enjoy.

03-10-2012 12:37:00 | More by FeDUBBELFIST