Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  16.73% ABV

Availability: Fall

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rumpkin Alström Bros

1.08/5  rDev -73.5%

1.16/5  rDev -71.6%

1.25/5  rDev -69.4%

1.3/5  rDev -68.1%

8oz draft pour served in a slender tulip for $8. Sampled 12/16/11.

Per the menu, "this beer is breed with pumpkin puree and a blend of 5 spices...aged in extremely fresh Gosling's rum barrels for 6 months..."

A: Pours a completely opaque, very dark amber color with ruby highlights along the glass's edge. Less than 1 finger of head on the pour which is light tan in color and quick to disappear. While a solid collar remains, lacing is unlikely. And it is.

S: After many intriguing sniffs, I'm unsure if the aroma is decent or detestable. Big pumpkin puree aroma with sopping wet dark fruit standing in uncut dark rum. The autumnal spices play the background more than expected, which is the only positive I find in the nose. Ultimately, I've decided this beer is not for me. And the longer the beer sits - the more offensive it becomes. Pumpkin beers are clearly not suited for stratospheric levels of alcohol.

T: Sickly sweet. The malty sweetness is just too big for the flavor profile. The caramel component is abrasively strong and adds unnecessarily to the already-too-prominent flavors of toffee and butterscotch. These flavors linger long, overstaying their welcome for minutes after each sip. Someone get me a glass of water. Somebody else: Light me up a cigarette.

M: The mouthfeel is actually decent. Adequate carbonation. Gently fizzy...but still cloyingly sweet. The rum barrel is less significant on the palate - mainly showing up on the backend - where it leads to an entirely unpleasant finish. Way too hot. Attenuation seems low.

O: I planned on Rumpkin being my last beer of the night, but that wouldn't have been fair to myself or my palate. So I sent back what remained in the glass and ordered something that I could enjoy.

1.73/5  rDev -57.6%

I had a bottle with a someone a couple nights ago, hands down the worst tasting beer I have ever had. I see lots of people giving this beer good reviews and I can only think that I got a bad bottle.
It looked fine, but it smelled and tasted like someone poured a glass of rum and a punch of rotten, fermented pumpkin in my ale. I could not stand anymore than three sips, it was horrid and I had a terrible stomach ache all night. I am very disappointed with avery, I know that they didn't intend for this to happen and it was a mishap, but if a beer is that expensive I expect it to be done properly. I don't want this to be taken as a bashing of avery, I just wanted to log my experience of this beer and hopefully make people aware that there may have been a bad barrel or two.

1.75/5  rDev -57.1%

2.25/5  rDev -44.9%

2.33/5  rDev -42.9%

On tap at Rudyard's in Houston.

A: Pours a clear burnt orange color. No head forms and no lace. Looks pretty lifeless.
S: An odd mix of peppery spice, pumpkin bread, and lots of alcohol.
T: Again lots of spicy flavors. Pumpkin and tons of alcohol. Fusel ethanol like alcohol. Plenty of sweetness as well. Actually, pretty much just sweetness and alcohol burn. I am not enjoying this.
M/D: A medium to full body. Low on the carbonation that is heavy and sticky. Really hard to drink. Way to much fusel alcohol.

I did not enjoy this. To much alcohol and nothing else really mixes well. I would not recommend this. I love Avery, but this is a big miss.

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

Overly sweet could harld drink a taste of it

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

I'll revisit it after it's aged a bit. For me, fresh, this beer was super hot, boozy, and overly sweet. I enjoyed the spice and pumpkin aroma and flavor, but the sweetness was overpowering for me. Hopefully in time it ages into a wonderful beverage.

2.53/5  rDev -38%

12oz bottle into my Stone IRS glass. It poured a caramel brown color with a thin white head sticking to the edges of the glass.

The aroma shows a lot of the rum flavors to it. I get some woody notes mixing with the earthy pumpkin pie, nutmeg and allspice flavors. Lots of sweet, sugary and boozy flavors coming though in it.

The taste is very boozy and sweet. I get a sugary sweet maltiness mixing with the rum booziness and a little pumpkin pie spice in the finish. The sweet, sugary maltiness is just way too overdone in it for me making it almost undrinkable.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being below average. Overall I didn't really care for it. It was cloyingly sweet with too much boozy rum showing through. The pumpkin beer flavors just seemed completely hidden and overshadowed to me. Not an enjoyable beer for me at all.

Rumpkin from Avery Brewing Company