Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  18.53% ABV

Availability: Fall

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

03-16-2013 02:42:33 | More by dbc5
PaulyB83

3.76/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled on Sept. 6 2013. 18.53% ABV.

A- Small creme caramel head that quickly dissipated to nothing. Deep garnet with a small degree of clarity, can see the shadow of my finger through the glass. Sticks to the glass like a spirit. Some fine particles in the glass, could be yeast, pumpkin, or spices.

S- Lots and lots of caramelized sugars followed by some mellow spices of cinnamon, mace and allspice, some vanilla and a light pumpkin mellowness. The alcohol is present but not nearly to the degree I thought this 18% beer would be.

T- Similar to the aroma. Very, very sweet, one of the sweetest beers I've had. Caramelized sugars, marshmallow, lots of rum raisin, the ABV comes on more in the taste can definitely tell this is a strong beer. The spices a there at a nice balanced level. Slight burn as it goes down the throat. Some vanilla and wood from the barrel on the end.

M- Heavy mouthfeel, a definite sipper.

O- This beer is very sweet, a bit too sweet for me to finish one bottle by myself, should have split this with someone. It took me about 2 hours to drink the thing. After a while thought it really grew on me, maybe I was just getting drunk. An interesting beer that I'm really going back and forth on a lot of aspects of the flavor but ultimately it's just too sweet for me to really find it outstanding, and I generally love sweet beers like Wee Heavys and English Barleywines.

03-02-2014 06:37:57 | More by PaulyB83
NorCalYeti

goslings rum barrel type aged six months at 13.2% abv

the barrels impart a unique flavor character to the beer that is not overrun by pumpkin; an interestingly unique brew

rum barrels from bermuda with real pumpkin in the mash

sampled this at the bistro west coast barrel aged beer festival november 13, 2010

02-19-2011 22:50:35 | More by NorCalYeti
BARFLYB

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

On Tap at UJ's Manatawny for their Wood fest.

Rumpkin comes in the tulip looking hazyish orange that is semi bright up to light. A small cap of off white foam graces the top of this one, no stick. Smell is str8 rum barrel mixed in with pumpkin spices. Some small amounts of chocolate and some brown sugar. Some alcohol as well. For 13 percent or so pretty well tamed. Taste is pumpkin spice, not so much pumpkin pie flavor. Rum is well stated comes on strong and resembles a spirit in some fashion. Some small cocco, molasses, booze soaked apples and the like. The alcohol is well hidden but feel comes off like a spirit of sorts. Coating, medium bodied, a light carb. A interesting beer, not one i'll be reaching the ends of the earth for, small pours of this are encouraged, would love to have this near the holidays with family.

02-28-2011 06:05:49 | More by BARFLYB
russwbeck

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Sept. 17, 2012 Bottling. Enjoyed the day before the 2011 vintage.

A: The beer pours out of the bottle the most ridiculous color of orange I have ever seen. It rests in the glass almost brown, viscous as hell, and with an orange-tinted head. The head is nothing more than a few bubbles and hangs out for only a fleeting second. It just looks like a big beer. 4.5

S: The aroma is strangely muted. Spices, definitely some rum, and the pumpkin mostly. The alcohol is hot and dominates the other aromas. I guess I expected the pumpkin and rum to attack me right off the bat, but this seems to be a more blended, less aggressive aroma. 3

T: The taste is really focused on the rum. In fact, I'd almost say the rum is cut with pumpkin. There seems to be another factor adding thickness here, which I'll call molasses because the beer is really sweet. Spices rest on the backend, both from the beer and the rum barrel. The pumpkin really presents itself throughout the entire taste, attempting to compete with the rum when it reality it only plays second fiddle. The finish is all rum and vanilla and the beer warms you as you drink. I do like the beer despite it's over-the-top ruminess. I'm impressed that pumpkin can play on this level, but I'm afraid it isn't quite good enough to make this a top notch offering.

MF: The beer actually burns on the way down, which although I've had a good number of very high ABV beers, I can't say I'm used to. The body is thick and heavy, coating the mouth with rum and spice. The size of this beer makes the drinkability a bit lower than it could be. The alcohol just takes you over. 3.5

O: This beer quite literally warms my soul. I thought the fresh version was hot (something I remember when I had this on tap last year), so I'm excited to see what happened to the bottle I held on to for a year. If you can find this, buy it, and experience it. I doubt you'll regret it. 4

Oct. 2011 Bottling.

A: The body has gotten much darker, and the bright orange appearance that so struck me before has turned into more of a sludge amber with a white head. The body is much more clear than the 2012 version. As before, the bubbly head doesn't stick around that long at all. A ton of crap has built up at the bottom of the bottle, which I didn't pour into my glass. I can't stress enough that they look like different beers. 3.5

S: The pumpkin asserts itself much more, with the spices underneath. The rum plays well here and the booze is as strong as ever at the finish. I'm actually a little surprised the alcohol hasn't been cut a bit more, it's still almost burning my nostrils. 3

T: I'll say this right up front, the taste is significantly better. I'd say the best pumpkin beer I've had to this point. The balance, finally, is noticeable and MUCH appreciated. The sweetness is still big, and the caramel seems to be much stronger than any pumpkin. The rum and alcohol play big parts here, but as I said it's actually balanced. The spices are gone. Big malt finish and I appreciate the beer not burning on the way down. 5

MF: Thinner body with more carbonation. The drinkability is much higher because of the balance and lower level of noticeable alcohol. I still feel the 18.1% ABV after I'm about halfway through the bottle, however. 4

O: Huge improvement. I actually wish I had another bottle to hold onto for a few year. My guess is this will only continue to get better. I absolutely recommend you age this over drinking it fresh. Having had it fresh on tap and in the bottle, this is much better. 4.5

11-29-2012 00:09:06 | More by russwbeck
mdfb79

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

From 11/23/11 notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip, split with my brother. Batch 11.1, bottled 10/05/11.

a - Pours a hazy dark reddish brown color with one inch of tan head and low to moderate carbonation evident. Little head retention and no lacing.

s - Smells of pumpkin, gingerbread, nutmeg, rum, alcohol, and light spices. Lots of pumpkin and bread, and not quite as much alcohol as I was expecting.

t - Tastes of pumpkin, very sweet dark fruits, bready malts, rum, alcohol, spice, wood, light toasted notes. Again, actually not quite as much alcohol as I expected, though it was more prevelant than in the nose. A little too sweet, but still good.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Light alcohol warmth, but considering the ABV, not bad at all.

o - Overall I thought this beer was pretty good, and it was better than I was expecting. The taste was a bit sweet and boozy, but I enjoyed the nose quite a bit. Would be interested to see how this is with a year on it; may throw a bottle in the cellar until next Thanksgiving.

11-28-2011 16:47:40 | More by mdfb79
zhanson88

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Batch #3, bottled 9/6/13.

Appearance: Pours an extremely deep, clear copper color with a ton of carbonation. Just a beautiful hue to this beer. About 1" of light khaki head forms, which has decent retention, and really no lacing. Head retention characteristics are quite good for a beer this ABV. Reduces down to a healthy ring around the edges of the glass. One of the more gorgeous beers I have seen recently.

Smell: Toasted caramel, maybe a slight pumpkin note, as well as the requisite pumpkin pie spice. Not a lot of barrel, but a significant rum presence. Does not smell quite as big as the ABV would indicate.

Taste: Whoa, there is the ABV. Big time alcohol burst upon the first sip. Underneath that, sweet pumpkin and toasted caramel, along with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc. Again, not a ton of woodiness or barrel character, but the rum is quite prominent.

Mouthfeel/Overall: The body on this beer is quite big as you would expect, and all of that carbonation does not show quite as much on the palate, oddly enough. A bit on the syrupy side. Extreme alcohol burn on the back end. Overall, this is a beer I was very excited to get ahold of and try. It certainly lived up to expectations on a number of levels. Very flavorful and a good fall beer. In the end though, the ABV for this style is just too high for me, making this a quintessential sipper and a bit hard to get through. Half of this 12oz bottle would have been sufficient for me. Definitely worth a try though.

10-19-2013 02:47:09 | More by zhanson88
Vonerichs

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Entering from some hand written notes:

Murky orangish-brown color with a thick texture. Almost no head and looks flat.

Smells heavily of spiced rum and canned pureed pumpkin with a dash of allspice.

Ok, for taste I have down BOOZY, in all caps. Yep, that's what I remember most. It was more like a pumpkin rum than a pumpkin beer. Spiced rum and pumpkin spice sums it up. It's very sweet, too.

The mouthfeel is syrupy and I can recall a lot of Avery's bigger beers having this texture- thick body, low carbonation, and borderline cloyingly sweet.

I really dig the way the pumpkin and rum play off each other but I'm glad I was only drinking a 6oz pour of this. It's very boozy and thick. Proceed with caution.

01-06-2012 03:15:56 | More by Vonerichs
depechemode1983

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

A - Deep mahogany with reddish hues. Poured with minimal head. Only patches of lacing on this beer.

S - Very sweet and alcoholic. Nice rum notes and lots of spices. Like cinnamon and nutmeg and even a little clove spiciness. Smells like a pumpkin pie.

T - Spiced rum comes to mind. Taste exactly what it smells like. An alcoholic pumpkin pie. With all the sweet cinnamon and nutmeg flavors being more dominant. Alcohol is also very strong in the taste. Its very warming.

M - Full bodied, smooth and a little chewy. Has a nice medium level of carbonation. Works well with the flavors.

D - Not to high considering the ABV. The flavors are all very strong as well. One is enough for me.

Notes - A pretty interesting beer. Very tasty. Not very complex but all the flavors and smells seem natural and not artificial. I might consider trying this one again. Even though its a bit pricey.

01-09-2011 21:18:01 | More by depechemode1983