Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  18.53% ABV

Availability: Fall

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010)
3.76/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled on Sept. 6 2013. 18.53% ABV.

A- Small creme caramel head that quickly dissipated to nothing. Deep garnet with a small degree of clarity, can see the shadow of my finger through the glass. Sticks to the glass like a spirit. Some fine particles in the glass, could be yeast, pumpkin, or spices.

S- Lots and lots of caramelized sugars followed by some mellow spices of cinnamon, mace and allspice, some vanilla and a light pumpkin mellowness. The alcohol is present but not nearly to the degree I thought this 18% beer would be.

T- Similar to the aroma. Very, very sweet, one of the sweetest beers I've had. Caramelized sugars, marshmallow, lots of rum raisin, the ABV comes on more in the taste can definitely tell this is a strong beer. The spices a there at a nice balanced level. Slight burn as it goes down the throat. Some vanilla and wood from the barrel on the end.

M- Heavy mouthfeel, a definite sipper.

O- This beer is very sweet, a bit too sweet for me to finish one bottle by myself, should have split this with someone. It took me about 2 hours to drink the thing. After a while thought it really grew on me, maybe I was just getting drunk. An interesting beer that I'm really going back and forth on a lot of aspects of the flavor but ultimately it's just too sweet for me to really find it outstanding, and I generally love sweet beers like Wee Heavys and English Barleywines.

PaulyB83, Mar 02, 2014

goslings rum barrel type aged six months at 13.2% abv

the barrels impart a unique flavor character to the beer that is not overrun by pumpkin; an interestingly unique brew

rum barrels from bermuda with real pumpkin in the mash

sampled this at the bistro west coast barrel aged beer festival november 13, 2010

NorCalYeti, Feb 19, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

On Tap at UJ's Manatawny for their Wood fest.

Rumpkin comes in the tulip looking hazyish orange that is semi bright up to light. A small cap of off white foam graces the top of this one, no stick. Smell is str8 rum barrel mixed in with pumpkin spices. Some small amounts of chocolate and some brown sugar. Some alcohol as well. For 13 percent or so pretty well tamed. Taste is pumpkin spice, not so much pumpkin pie flavor. Rum is well stated comes on strong and resembles a spirit in some fashion. Some small cocco, molasses, booze soaked apples and the like. The alcohol is well hidden but feel comes off like a spirit of sorts. Coating, medium bodied, a light carb. A interesting beer, not one i'll be reaching the ends of the earth for, small pours of this are encouraged, would love to have this near the holidays with family.

BARFLYB, Feb 28, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Sept. 17, 2012 Bottling. Enjoyed the day before the 2011 vintage.

A: The beer pours out of the bottle the most ridiculous color of orange I have ever seen. It rests in the glass almost brown, viscous as hell, and with an orange-tinted head. The head is nothing more than a few bubbles and hangs out for only a fleeting second. It just looks like a big beer. 4.5

S: The aroma is strangely muted. Spices, definitely some rum, and the pumpkin mostly. The alcohol is hot and dominates the other aromas. I guess I expected the pumpkin and rum to attack me right off the bat, but this seems to be a more blended, less aggressive aroma. 3

T: The taste is really focused on the rum. In fact, I'd almost say the rum is cut with pumpkin. There seems to be another factor adding thickness here, which I'll call molasses because the beer is really sweet. Spices rest on the backend, both from the beer and the rum barrel. The pumpkin really presents itself throughout the entire taste, attempting to compete with the rum when it reality it only plays second fiddle. The finish is all rum and vanilla and the beer warms you as you drink. I do like the beer despite it's over-the-top ruminess. I'm impressed that pumpkin can play on this level, but I'm afraid it isn't quite good enough to make this a top notch offering.

MF: The beer actually burns on the way down, which although I've had a good number of very high ABV beers, I can't say I'm used to. The body is thick and heavy, coating the mouth with rum and spice. The size of this beer makes the drinkability a bit lower than it could be. The alcohol just takes you over. 3.5

O: This beer quite literally warms my soul. I thought the fresh version was hot (something I remember when I had this on tap last year), so I'm excited to see what happened to the bottle I held on to for a year. If you can find this, buy it, and experience it. I doubt you'll regret it. 4

Oct. 2011 Bottling.

A: The body has gotten much darker, and the bright orange appearance that so struck me before has turned into more of a sludge amber with a white head. The body is much more clear than the 2012 version. As before, the bubbly head doesn't stick around that long at all. A ton of crap has built up at the bottom of the bottle, which I didn't pour into my glass. I can't stress enough that they look like different beers. 3.5

S: The pumpkin asserts itself much more, with the spices underneath. The rum plays well here and the booze is as strong as ever at the finish. I'm actually a little surprised the alcohol hasn't been cut a bit more, it's still almost burning my nostrils. 3

T: I'll say this right up front, the taste is significantly better. I'd say the best pumpkin beer I've had to this point. The balance, finally, is noticeable and MUCH appreciated. The sweetness is still big, and the caramel seems to be much stronger than any pumpkin. The rum and alcohol play big parts here, but as I said it's actually balanced. The spices are gone. Big malt finish and I appreciate the beer not burning on the way down. 5

MF: Thinner body with more carbonation. The drinkability is much higher because of the balance and lower level of noticeable alcohol. I still feel the 18.1% ABV after I'm about halfway through the bottle, however. 4

O: Huge improvement. I actually wish I had another bottle to hold onto for a few year. My guess is this will only continue to get better. I absolutely recommend you age this over drinking it fresh. Having had it fresh on tap and in the bottle, this is much better. 4.5

russwbeck, Nov 29, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

From 11/23/11 notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip, split with my brother. Batch 11.1, bottled 10/05/11.

a - Pours a hazy dark reddish brown color with one inch of tan head and low to moderate carbonation evident. Little head retention and no lacing.

s - Smells of pumpkin, gingerbread, nutmeg, rum, alcohol, and light spices. Lots of pumpkin and bread, and not quite as much alcohol as I was expecting.

t - Tastes of pumpkin, very sweet dark fruits, bready malts, rum, alcohol, spice, wood, light toasted notes. Again, actually not quite as much alcohol as I expected, though it was more prevelant than in the nose. A little too sweet, but still good.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Light alcohol warmth, but considering the ABV, not bad at all.

o - Overall I thought this beer was pretty good, and it was better than I was expecting. The taste was a bit sweet and boozy, but I enjoyed the nose quite a bit. Would be interested to see how this is with a year on it; may throw a bottle in the cellar until next Thanksgiving.

mdfb79, Nov 28, 2011
3.79/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Batch #3, bottled 9/6/13.

Appearance: Pours an extremely deep, clear copper color with a ton of carbonation. Just a beautiful hue to this beer. About 1" of light khaki head forms, which has decent retention, and really no lacing. Head retention characteristics are quite good for a beer this ABV. Reduces down to a healthy ring around the edges of the glass. One of the more gorgeous beers I have seen recently.

Smell: Toasted caramel, maybe a slight pumpkin note, as well as the requisite pumpkin pie spice. Not a lot of barrel, but a significant rum presence. Does not smell quite as big as the ABV would indicate.

Taste: Whoa, there is the ABV. Big time alcohol burst upon the first sip. Underneath that, sweet pumpkin and toasted caramel, along with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc. Again, not a ton of woodiness or barrel character, but the rum is quite prominent.

Mouthfeel/Overall: The body on this beer is quite big as you would expect, and all of that carbonation does not show quite as much on the palate, oddly enough. A bit on the syrupy side. Extreme alcohol burn on the back end. Overall, this is a beer I was very excited to get ahold of and try. It certainly lived up to expectations on a number of levels. Very flavorful and a good fall beer. In the end though, the ABV for this style is just too high for me, making this a quintessential sipper and a bit hard to get through. Half of this 12oz bottle would have been sufficient for me. Definitely worth a try though.

zhanson88, Oct 19, 2013
3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Entering from some hand written notes:

Murky orangish-brown color with a thick texture. Almost no head and looks flat.

Smells heavily of spiced rum and canned pureed pumpkin with a dash of allspice.

Ok, for taste I have down BOOZY, in all caps. Yep, that's what I remember most. It was more like a pumpkin rum than a pumpkin beer. Spiced rum and pumpkin spice sums it up. It's very sweet, too.

The mouthfeel is syrupy and I can recall a lot of Avery's bigger beers having this texture- thick body, low carbonation, and borderline cloyingly sweet.

I really dig the way the pumpkin and rum play off each other but I'm glad I was only drinking a 6oz pour of this. It's very boozy and thick. Proceed with caution.

Vonerichs, Jan 06, 2012
3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Deep mahogany with reddish hues. Poured with minimal head. Only patches of lacing on this beer.

S - Very sweet and alcoholic. Nice rum notes and lots of spices. Like cinnamon and nutmeg and even a little clove spiciness. Smells like a pumpkin pie.

T - Spiced rum comes to mind. Taste exactly what it smells like. An alcoholic pumpkin pie. With all the sweet cinnamon and nutmeg flavors being more dominant. Alcohol is also very strong in the taste. Its very warming.

M - Full bodied, smooth and a little chewy. Has a nice medium level of carbonation. Works well with the flavors.

D - Not to high considering the ABV. The flavors are all very strong as well. One is enough for me.

Notes - A pretty interesting beer. Very tasty. Not very complex but all the flavors and smells seem natural and not artificial. I might consider trying this one again. Even though its a bit pricey.

depechemode1983, Jan 09, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

On tap at the Flying Saucer-Houston. 8oz pour and a good thing too, potent.

A- Deep copper with a short lived white head. No lacing with medium body.

S- Rum, cinnamon, nutmeg, wood.

T- Coconut, wood, cinnamon, nutmeg, alcohol. Low carbonation.

D- Not very drinkable but I really don't think they were shooting for drinkability on this one.

Overall I am glad I tried this monster. The spices are not overdone and it all comes together well. I am pretty sturdy and this one has me whipped at the 4oz mark. A good one timer.

Adouble, Jan 07, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Light murky prune, small tan head that is slow to leave. Some cling.

S - Smells like a big ass barley wine that was cooked with a little pumpkin. Alcohol apparent.

T - Delicious. Massive sweet malt, hot, hint of sweet pumpkin pie therein, finished off with sufficient bittering.

M - Medium to heavy body, good carb, balances to the sweet and a little cloying.

D - Pretty happy with this one - except for the price.

srandycarter, Dec 13, 2011
3.84/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Dec 2011

6 ounce pour into a globe glass at Big Wood festival at Brouwers in Seattle.

Pours clear ruby with about a finger of off-white head.

Smells very strongly of sweet fruit, it’s kind of like rotting fruit. Not in a bad way, just the way it gets stronger and sweeter when it rots. You can smell the rum from a mile away. There are a few light spices and I can detect very little pumpkin.

The taste was a lot of booze and sweet fruits. No surprises. Very crisp and full.

Palate was decent. Lots of alcohol bite and very carbonated.

Overall, I expected more from this. Love the style, and love the brewery, but Great Pumpkin still stands as my favorite pumpkin beer.

Smurf2055, Apr 01, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Deep copper to brown in color. I see definite evidence of alcohol from rum barrel aging in the cloudiness of this beer. The head was minimal and quickly vanished after the pour. The aroma is of dark rum and perhaps dark malt with a bit of caramel. The mouthfeel is thick,chewy,and warm with alcohol. I get dark rum on the front of the palate. I get some sweetness and body from the pumpkin. I also get some definite warming in my throat from the alcohol. While you can tell there is abundant alcohol,I would not have guessed what I see listed on the bottle!

Franziskaner, Dec 01, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Colossus snifter.

Appearance: Pours a murky reddish amber with just a very little bit of off white head.

Smell: Incredibly sweet with a ton of malt and some alcohol. There is some pumpkin and rum in there. It also smells like some other fruits, perhaps ripe pineapple or bananas.

Taste: As in the taste, extremely sweet, but that is expected. Notes of caramel and dark fruit as well as pumpkin and some mild banana notes. The somewhat unpleasant pineapple like note in the smell doesn't show up here. Some Rum and very warm alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side of medium and mildly syrupy. Aggressively tingly carbonation and a finish that is a little bit dry and quite hot.

Overall: This beer is right up my alley. I'm a huge fan of breweries trying different and weird things. I would have another.

oline73, Oct 29, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

On tap at ChurchKey in DC. Poured into a snifter glass. Pours dark reddish brown with thin head and lacing that lasts throughout. Aromas full of toffee, caramel, cinnamon, clove, slight ginger, big notes of brown sugar, molasses, some nice spiced rum, nice sweet pumpkin notes on there as well, really big and full. Taste is just as good and the alcohol is pretty much completely hidden, starts with notes of sweet vanilla, brown sugar, toffee, and molasses, some nice cinnamon, clove, ginger, leading into a perfect blend of sweet pumpkin, rum, and a slight hint of warmth, balanced with a cinnamon, clove and ginger spice combo going into a nice dry, slightly bitter finish. Carbed well enough to carry the taste through the palate, nice full on the palate as well to have a nice lasting finish. What an interesting rum-infused pumpkin ale!

CuriousMonk, Oct 19, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2011 vintage on tap at Good Life

A - Dark amber pour with no head or foam. Has a thickness to its consistency as it swirls in the glass.

S - Scents of rich molasses and brown sugar. There is a slight aroma of pumpkin and spices. Very strong scent of rum.

T - Initial flavor is sweet but there is almost no pumpkin flavors. Some spice notes and flavors of blackstrap molasses. Finish is very boozy and similar to a tawny port wine.

M - Too heavy to be anything more than a sipper, but the balance is simply near impossible to attain given the style and ABV. In short, pumpkin beers were not meant to be this big. The experience is not bad though; a small pour of this is a really good cordial.

O - Glad to have tried this extreme beer. Avery seems to push the envelope more than most. Good times.

socon67, Oct 17, 2013
3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle into pint glass
A – Pour reminded me of pouring a bottle of soda into a pint glass but with less head, reduced to nothing instantly, stronger than average carbonation, cloudy brown amber slightly red color. 3.5
S – No surprises here…pumpkin, caramel, rum, spices, alcohol, earthy 3.5
T – Hoo waa, a VERY big spicy pumpkin ale. Big dark sweetness up front to a meaty pumpkin middle before the rum barrel and spice characteristics take over and fade to a moderately bitter finish. Brown sugar, vanilla, dark rum, cloves, molasses, slight fruit. Enough port similarities for me to mention it. An unrefined sugar pumpkin spiced rum bomb. 4
M – Thicker, smooth, with a nice/ample level of carbonation, still very large on the palate 4
O – What a truly unique beer. Not the easiest drinker, but there is so much more here that becomes a side note. I liked not loved this brew, but do recommend any BA try it simply because it is so original. Not sure I can improve upon my prior… an unrefined sugar pumpkin spiced rum bomb reflection. 4

rsdaugherty, Oct 26, 2011
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle from wagenvolks (sweet extra!). Bottled 9/17/12. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours a cherry mahogany hue with a thin wisp of bone head. No retention. No lace.

Smells of pumpkin, spices, rum and syrup.

Wow, this is crazy bold on flavor and booze. Sweet spiced rum, pumpkin, layers of spice and a lot of alcohol. It drinks hot but only half as hot as expected at 18.1%.

Syrupy thick with almost no carbonation. Pumpkin rum spice cake finish.

Great job by Avery in commiting to a flavor profile and nailing it. A nice treat in small doses. I'm glad that I split the bottle though, as a little goes a long way. I would happily drink it again though because this is a tasty beastly take on a seasonal classic.

ThickNStout, Jun 01, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

I can see where they're trying to go, but to me, they didn't quite arrive. Poured with a small, cream colored head that quickly subsided and no lace. Color is a cloudy, honey amber. Aroma is malt, pumpkin, spice, dark ripe fruit, raisins. Flavor's like nose with sweet malt, pumpkin and rum flavors on top, followed by the carbonic tang, then the other thangs. Body is excellen but carbonation seems a bit light. Finish is like flavor, very long, and surprisingly not up front boozy; it's there, you know it's there, and then, Oh man! is it there!

drpimento, Nov 18, 2011

12oz, 10/5/11
Victory tulip

A: Pours a murky dark orange color. Didn't get much head, but at that ABV it's expected. Just an off white ring around the edges. I saw some tiny bubbles up the sides, so there is some carbonation.

S: Initially smells like an old ale or something. Then I started to get the pumpkin ale character: the spices, pumpkin fruit, etc. Not getting the booze, so maybe the year helped this one. Some sweet booze.

T: Initial sip, I slight booze burn goes to the back of the throat right away. Then up front, I am getting that over riding pumpkin ale character. Nice rich pumpkin pulp and then the traditional spice blend. You get some oak and vanilla character from the barrel and it's certainly different than a bourbon barrel. More lively and spicy.

M: It's a big medium leading to full.

inlimbo77, Sep 19, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Boozy and intensely sweet pumpkin pie… in brew form….

Presentation: 12 oz brown capped and foiled bottle. Busy label with a barrel background where a drawing of a rum growler sits next to a pumpkin, framed by the the Avery branding. Side paragraphs offers intent, process, and general ingredients. Notes bottling Oct. 2011, and a production of 512 cases. Shows 15.90% Alc. by Vol. Served in a snifter.

A - Lightly hazy deep amber pour with a small head and retention, faint surface memory and minimal lacing.

S - Loooong spiced nose, sweet, clove, all-spice, cinnamon… rummy booze…

T - Impressive first sip with a loooong sweet boozy touch, pumpkin pie shining on the spices with a boozy edge… too much spice… cinnamon, clove, all-spice, touch of nutmeg, caramel, molasses… very sweetly spiced.

M - Medium/full body with medium carbonation, creamy early on and then an emerging stickiness with a touch spicy finish as the boozy settles in.

O - Stimulating at points but a bit too large, sweet and cloying all in all. Booze is not the problem is that raw spiced bomb that blocks the brew somewhat.

Notes: Monster brew that I wonder if it will age graciously. For now worth the try but ultimately a bit much. Let´s see how the other bottle ages...

Daniellobo, Dec 15, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottled September 17th of this year.

Poured into a goblet, Rumpkin is a hazy copper color with barely any head.

Aroma is rich and boozy with a big hit of a rum barrel.

Flavor is huge and intense with rum, primarily, but also some pumpkin and pie spice. The barrels impart some vanilla but the rum character really overpowers it.

Mouthfeel is big in body, low in carbonation, and high in alcohol.

An interesting beer and just about as big as it gets. Worth a try but probably only once.

GilGarp, Oct 25, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Got to try this at the Cambridge Brewing Company's Pumpkin Beer Festival.

High alcohol content comes through, yet very drinkable. Highly enjoyable - wish it was more widely available.

I believe the alcohol content listed here is incorrect: listing last night was 13.2%, not 13.8%.

Spoonfed, Oct 31, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

This pours a really dark burgundy color with just the slightest creamy head. It smells really boozy and at 15.8% it’s not out of line, lots of rum and oak, hard to pick up the pumpkin but the spices are there and blend with the oak really well. The flavor is really pleasant, pumpkin hits your tongue with spices but the booze just comes flying in on the tongue. Lots of rum and oak flavors that actually compliment the spices really well making this a surprisingly well rounded beer. The alcohol adds a lot of heat to the mouth and can be felt all the way down.

Verdict: This is a strong sipping beer so I’m actually glad it comes in a 12 oz. bottle. The flavors are really balanced and the rum barrels really make this beer. Easily my new favorite pumpkin beer.

kevanb, Nov 17, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

2011 vintage. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 8 oz snifter.

A- pours caramel in color with a half finger of cream colored head. No lacing.

S- caramel, cinnamon, maple syrup, nutmeg and faint pumpkin.

T- sweet maple syrup, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg.

M- medium body and carbonation. Syrupy with a alcohol burn still.

O- the rum aging works very well with the pumpkin beer. I think another year on this beer and the booze will fade more and will drink very well.

kawilliams81, Nov 23, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -2%

Rich, the richest pumpkin I have had? I am overwhelmed by booze and rum, did I know and expect 16% abv? Medium brown, with cinnamon and nutmeg. Smooth mouthfeel, a tad above average. No lasting head. Spicy invigorating but yes high abv aroma. Damn I must eat to stay balanced after this amount of booze, but damn worth it.

Sammy, Mar 04, 2012