Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  16.73% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.
Reviews: 226 | Hads: 1,099
3.32/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle $10.99. I'd heard about this beer for years and finally capitulated to the high price. To start off it looks like shit, tons of sediment mixed throughout what would have been a pretty beer. Aroma is this strange melange of pumpkin, spice, and booze. The flavor is very sweet, spices, pumpkin and booze. My first couple sips had me ready to pour it out but it grew on me and I finished my glass. Still, this one is not for me. (437 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

On tap at the Cheeky Monk on Colfax, Poured into a Cheeky Monk Balloon.

It was also listed at 13.20% ABV on the tap list for Sunday Breakfast at Cheeky Monk, listed as "Imperial Pumpkin Ale Aged in Rum Barrels."

A: 2-fingers rich head, deep mahogany with a rust-orange tint. Transparent.

S: Front is rich pumpkin with nutmeg and spices. Front doesn't last long and is consumed by rum, entirely.

T: Tastes like a pumpkin being actively drowned in rum (note that this is somewhat violent sounding, and the taste was similarly so). The rum is a little overpowering at first, but by the end of the 12oz pour, it seemed to balance out a bit more (although by the end of the 12oz pour I was decidedly less balanced ... ).

F: Thick and rich, a bit cold for my taste, and hence just a touch thinner than I'd like.

D: Decent beer, but ultimately it couldn't stand up to the rum, which overpowers in places, instead of enhancing.

When I saw this on the menu I thought that this would end-up tasting like pumpkin pie, Rum gives off many brown-sugar notes. Nearer the end of the beer this started to come through (but i'll chalk that up to mild-drunkeness).

While I was able to finish this beer (a problem i've had with 12oz pours of Avery beers at Cheeky Monk before), I would again suggest that a 12oz pour of a 13.2% ABV beer is ... a tad much. (1,344 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a very murky copper color. The head is around half a finger high, with an off-white shade. Given the fact that it's nearly 17%, its poor retention is unsurprising. There are some alcohol legs (but no real lacing) left on the glass, though. (2.75)

Smell: Some credit is due, as this does a decent job of smelling like pumpkin pie. I pick up a little gourd, and a huge amount of nutmeg/cinnamon. The huge spiciness accentuates the rum barrel, at least. Letting it warm up even further will expose some general alcohol. Actually, it's the spice that comes across more harshly than the booze. But it's still an intriguing nose. (3.5)

Taste: At first, it pulls off the pumpkin pie impression admirably. Lots of cinnamon and nutmeg, backed by some gourd and even some vanilla cream. The finish sees an explosion of brown sugar, molasses, rum, and leather; even some graham cracker. And yes, it's RIDICULOUSLY sweet and sugary. Having said that, it's not ridiculously sweet, sugary, and brutally harsh - it's just a big-ass sugar bomb with some nice autumnal qualities. Despite that, it has reasonable depth without being overly sloppy in its flavor profile. (3.5)

Mouthfeel: It doesn't quite burn the throat and esophagus the way Pump[KY]n or Mephistopheles did...but still, this betrays every ounce of its near 17% strength. That, and the massive body leaves behind an ass-load of residual sugar on the palate. A semblance of carbonation does at least help it go down more easily. (3)

Overall: Avery's barrel-aged beers (excluding the sours, natch) are always like manhandling a 1994 Dodge Viper in a rainstorm - big, ridiculous, but almost charmingly silly. This is no exception. It's a little less harsh than Pump[KY]n, thankfully. Sure, it's too sweet, but it also does a good job of drinking like a pumpkin pie with a shot of rum. I'll drink this again, though I probably won't buy it again because of the price point. And even if I do, I'll have to not only make sure I sit on the bottle for a couple years, but also split it with a good friend. (3.5)

3.41/5: Not elegant, but a solid fall-time dessert beer (2,163 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -14.1%

Had on-tap straight from the source at Avery. Poured into a tulip-type glass. This one has been aged in rum barrels for 9 months.

A- Pours a crystal clear mahogany. Produced a fingers width of white head. Reduced to a semi-thick ring around the glass. Little to no lacing.

S- Smells like autumn. Upfront you get a nice whiff of pumpkin and spices. The rum creates a perfect blend here. Adds a great alcoholic sweetness to the aroma.

T- After the aroma, I can't help think that this was a let down. The base beer was just off. The initial flavors were great, but the spices and pumpkin quickly fade and take on a soda type water taste...very bland. The blandness actually intensified as the beer warmed. The rum aspect of the beer saves it. It was very rich in flavor and offered a nice compliment to the spices.

M- Medium bodied, yet slightly on the thin side. Pretty well carbonated.

D- At nearly 14% abv, the alcohol was hidden very well. However, the flavors were the problem. I just couldn't get past the spiced blandness.

Overall, at $10 for a 10oz serving I will pass from now on. However, I can't help but think that Avery is onto something with pairing pumpkin beers and rum barrels. If the base of this beer was anywhere close to that of Pumking, it would be an absolutely phenomenal beer. (1,307 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

A: pours a murky brown-orange with half a finger of beige head that almost completely vanishes with no lacing.

S: sweet caramel aromas up front followed by some tart apple aromas. Slight pumpkin spice aromas follow along with vanilla, oak, and rum. The tart fruit aromas permeate throughout.

T: lots of caramel up front with vanilla and oak. Some light pumpkin spice and ginger notes follow. Sweet rum with a light alcohol burn bring up the finish.

M: medium-thick body with low carbonation, this beer is syrupy sweet.

O: a decent beer, but much too sweet. I like the rum characters, but the pumpkin aspects are lost in the sweetness and alcohol. (650 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

Bottle poured into Founders CBS snifter. Pours a dull brown with no head whatsoever. Smell is wet wood with some hint of orange/red fruit. Mouthfeel is on the thicker side but no overly so. Taste is first tangy that gave me a twinge in my jaw (usually means sour/bitter), then a burst of brown sugar sweetness, and then the finish has as darkness to it that is musty that turns too sweet after about 3-5 seconds. Overall this is a decent beer but not sure if I will be buying it again. One thing of note is that there is absolutely no alcohol hint AT ALL, which is really weird. All this being said, I am usually not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, so the review might be slanted as such. (685 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

Little white head. Color is a bronze golden amber.

This beer is pretty much like most pumpkin beers but it has a nice oak flavor and the rum does show. Lots of pumpkin and spice.

This beer hides the abv well and drinks fairly easy despite all the spices. Reminds me of new Hollands rum ichabod. (297 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Rackhouse Pub.
A deep amber orange with a white sheen. Carbonation is light and fades a bit over time, but never goes flat. Pretty impressive for something this strong.
The nose is VERY rum heavy. Rum overpowers even the pretty potent pumpkin pie spices.
The flavor is sweet and creamy, like some of the best pumpkin beers around...and then that rum hit kicks in. While it adds flavor, it also adds a fair amount of heat and distillate character.
Allspice, sweet cream, and cinnamon are amplified by that rum sugar. Sometimes that's awesome, sometimes it's fiery and off-putting.
A pretty hot brew at 15%, and a very slow sipper. Treat it like a cognac instead of a beer.
Some sips are really, really good while others taste like pumpkin rum.
I almost wish the beer weren't rum aged. Either that or maybe just taking on a milder character.
Pretty good, but probably not one I'll seek out like I would Meph Addict or some other Avery brews. (954 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 2, bottled 9/17/12. 12 oz foil topped bottle into a brandy snifter.

A - Pours a rather clear burnt orange/brown color. Some small off white bubbles dissipate quickly leaving behind a very still body. Swirling creates some minute bubbles and leaves behind a thin alcoholic trace.

S - Pumpkin and squash flesh, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some rich malty toffee. The finish is harsh alcohol and some sweet vanilla. The beginning is quite nice and reminiscent of many pumpkin ales, but the alcohol just burns the nose and prevents the aroma from being approachable. I find myself smelling it from a few inches away from the glass rather than stuffing my nose in like most beers.

T - Starts off with some basic roasted pumpkin flesh flavors along with the standard spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and all spice. These flavors are then interrupted by a huge wave of alcohol that burns the mouth and throat. Aftertaste is of oak and some brief vanilla. The rum is just noticeable in a lingering spice. Disappointing and light in the flavor department. Its saving grace is that its not too sweet or cloying.

M - Medium to thin bodied with low carbonation. Drink ability is quite low. I'm struggling with the first 6 oz pour.

O - I really wanted to like this one, but alas I'm just left perplexed. Sticking a pumpkin ale in a rum barrel sounds like an amazing idea. Somewhere along the line Avery decided to make the beer an 18% abv monster. Big boozy beers rarely bother me, but this one is just a bit too harsh and simple. (1,531 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smell is of some pumpkin spices and straight alcohol. A deep inhale burns the nostrils almost as if it were a glass of whiskey. Taste is tons of molasses, and ginger and nutmeg come through as well. The finish is rough, though. Medicinal, buttery, boozy. Too much.

Disappointing as I had been wanting to try this for years. This definitely has potential. Perhaps some age will mellow it out. (394 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -10.8%

I applaud Avery for their inventive brews. I happen to be fairly particular about my pumpkin ales and I was very curious when I came across this one in the local grocery store for a winter seasonal. First off, very little head and carbonation which really leaves the mouthfeel to the weight of the brew itself. Soft, and a little flat. A little heavy, and naturally so at 15%. It is a very interesting combination, I just felt like the ABV weighed it down. Aging in old rum barrels was a clever combo. I wonder if this might be better with a bourbon barrel. Nevertheless, the pumpkin was drowned out. I got a little bit, but I most tasted some spice and brewing sugar. Not a bad beer, imaginative pumpkin ale, probably best for when you are in an exploratory mood. (764 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -10.6%

12oz Bottle into a wine glass.

A-Dark brown color with minimal head. Super thick and syrupy as seen from the pour.

S-The smell of this is weird, like rum infused pumpkins with old milk. Frankly I could not smell this for long.

T-Tastes like pumpkin pie on crack. There is a lot of molasses, clove, honey, lots of honey, graham cracker and the slightest rum after taste.

M-This is super sweet and sticky. It is smooth for being 16% though.

O-I do not know why but I kept sipping on this beer. It is not that great but for some reasonable enjoyable. Worth a try once. It is like old school barleywine with a pumpkin twist. Super weird beer. (643 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a wine glass.

Dark brown/amber in color. One finger of off white head. Decent retention and lacing. Nice legs.

Smells of rum, spice, caramel, and molasses.

Taste follows smell. Quite sweet, molasses, caramel, pumpkin, rum, oaky vanilla, rum. Kinda like taking a bite of apple pie, a bite of pumpkin pie, and vanilla ice cream followed by a tiny sip of rum.

Well carbonated, medium bodied. Touch oilly.

For some reason it just doesn't all come together right. A touch too sweet for sure. (503 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

A - Shimmering ruby and copper, translucent; looks very clean. An aggressive pour gives a tan finger head, but quickly falls down to a sturdy ring around the edge of the glass that has been hanging out for a bit.

S - Lots of barrel character - charred wood, sweet/sugary rum, vanilla, a bit of toasted coconut. Then the pumpkin essence wafts in - nutmeg, cinnamon, hearty bread.

T - A rum barrel can really do nice things to a pumpkin beer. Fact: all pumpkin beers are godawful and need things to make them be less awful. Enter: rum barrel! In this case, all of the characteristics from the barrel found in the nose are right here in the flavor - burnt wood, gobs of vanilla, toasted coconut, supersweet molasses and caramel. This would absolutely be cloyingly sweet if it wasn't for that burnt barrel taste keep the sweetness in balance. The spice comes in shortly thereafter and isn't bad - again, nutmeg, cinnamon, maybe a little anise, but overall the spices aren't overpowering or making me think twice about spending $10 on a 12oz beer...

M - The body is mediumish, perhaps a bit on the thin side and the carbonation is a little high for my liking. The mouthfeel comes off as a little harsh.

O - For a guy that hates pumpkin beers, this is mildly enjoyable. About halfway through the beer I discovered I was drinking a 15.9% beer. Other than a very slight heat i'm getting in my gums, the booze is hidden like a boss. (1,429 characters)

My Halloween beer, because I can. Newest batch is 15.9%

A - Pours a half dinger head, cappuccino in color which quickly dissipates. Body is burnt indian red which is slightly hazy.

S - Mostly sweet candies. Some alcohol. I'm picking up some sourness, like a sour cream, but in a good way.

T - The alcohol is there throughout. This is not a "spicy" pumpkin beer, but hints of cinnamon and cloves with a stronger allspice flavor. I don't taste the rum, but the alcohol is not hidden. Some sweet plum as well.

M - Nicely balanced with good carbonation and feel.

O - a bit much on the alcohol and I am not totally convinced it is a pumpkin beer. It is tasty and well done on all other effects. Much better than the current year Beast which is way too hot.

2012 version - A lot more pumpkin in this than I remember from 2011. I think I like it better. (855 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Rumpkin is a thick orange, as in extremely thick, somewhat bright but with no give to it. The orange-tinted head is small and develops a firm layer with some bubbling coming in as it drops. It leaves behind tight lace in light to moderate quantity, mostly in spotting.
I think my nostrils are eating pumpkin, honestly. Otherwise it has a lot of sugary sweetness and some alcoholic burn. There seems to be vanilla and wet molasses, like a syrup was made and woody spices added.
The flavor is extremely sweet, exceedingly so in fact. Spices make their play, and they do add something good but they can't do much to cut the sweetness. The alcohol stings hard, a little too hard, and it just ends up leaning too cloying and harsh even for a dessert beer.
The sweetness in the thick body make this beer too syrupy in the feel. The body ends up full, obviously sweet with no dryness balancing and the ethanolic sting hitting the tongue pretty hard.
I can't get into the beers that are this hard as much as I'd like, though it could be a good enough sipper for sure. (1,066 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottle: Poured a cloudy dark orangey color ale with a sizeable foamy head with OK retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of rums and cinnamon is quite intense with loads of sweet notes. Taste is a complex mix of cinnamon, light pumpkin and rums layered with a solid but extremely sweet malt backbone. Body is full with limited filtration and good carbonation. This is a complex one for sure though it was too sweet (a 12 ounces bottle can easily be shared) to drink repeatedly. (474 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Well, rum and pumpkin. I'll be.

Pours bright ruby/orange, clear with a rather small head.

Aroma is pumpkin, spices and spiced-rum. The pumpkin is the most noticeable, with rum coming in second. The spices dance around, not letting you to completely capture them

yeah, pumpkin is the flavor. But it seems thin. The rum comes in a reminds me of the old days when we would spike pumpkins (and melons, et al). The alcohol isn't hot, but noticeable. Gives a slight nail polish remover aftertaste.

Overall, for 13% this is quite drinkable. Better for colder days/nights I think. Not sure what the pair this one with. (616 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%

12oz bottle poured into Narke tulip.

A - Pours a mirky burnt orange/brown color, thin collar.

S - Big boozy rum notes, nutmeg, brown sugar, cinnamon, light pumpkin. The note is very sweet and spicy with lots of booze. I think the pumpkin really gets lost in the mix here. That said, it's still a nice nose, just a bit too much going on.

T - Well, I didn't notice until after the first few sips that was beer clocks in at almost 16%! I was wondering why I was tasting a huge booze-bomb, and that's exactly why! The booze really isn't as big as 16%, but I would still have guessed 12% or so. Similar to the nose, lots of spices, rum, light barrel, and perhaps maybe a touch of pumpkin (but not enough).

M - Medium, light carbonation, creamy spice finish.

O - Well, it's a nice take on a pumpkin ale, but a bit too boozy for me to enjoy more then 4-6oz. I couldn't finish the 12oz bottle by myself without fear of passing out, so I just gave the rest to my sink. That said, I would easily drink my first pour and did enjoy it. It's "different", but not near excellent or world-class. Give it a try and see for yourself! (1,121 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -9%

Had on tap, poured into a matching Avery stemmed flute glass. Pours a ruby red with almost no head. Ok, lets just call it flat out no head. At least it has bubbles rising up, but they don't stick around for the party long. Nearly had legs, but not quite.

Smell is booze, spice, rum, a bit of pumpkin, and overall fallness. it could have been a bit more forward.

Taste is spice, rum, some caramel, a dash of pumpkin, and a healthy dose of booze. It's alright, but probably could used more pumpkin.

Pretty light in terms of mouthfeel. it works out ok, not really sure what it should be.

It's booze, and more booze. It nearly burns going down. What the hell do you expect from Avery. (687 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Murky light brown body. Lots of floaties, carbonation streaming up the glass, alcohol legs (while the beer is still on the cold side, not after it warms), and of course no head whatsoever...wouldn't expect any from such a high ABV beer.

Candied pumpkin aroma upfront along with some of the added spices and caraway seed. Ginger and rum notes come out more in the back end.

The rum barrels don't overtake the beer...I'm am getting the alcohol burn/sweetness though. Flavors of vanilla, pumpkin, ginger towards the middle/finish, nutmeg, and faint taste of cinnamon as the beer drys out. Middle of the mouth the rum and pumpkin flavor springs up in unison. Sweetness coast the mouth and really sits strong on the tongue. Finishes a bit thin also.

Alcohol presence is quite strong, at 16% it is quite understandable, but I've had a few beers at this strength that do a better job of masking it. That's not to say I don't enjoy alcohol heat in certain beers. The only problem is that it really overtakes the taste/feel in the finish which subtracts from some other qualities. The beer finishes very one note. A strong alcohol sweetness coats the palate and what came through in the taste/feel from the start to middle is fazed out. I still find plenty to enjoy here, but taking the alcohol level down a notch and adding some more body could do a lot to this brewski. A very intriguing take on a pumpkin beer.

[88/100] (1,419 characters)

1st review:

Nearly no head. This beer pours a beautiful, cloudy orange-brown color with a great alcohol scent. Pumpkin taste is evident but not so much as the rum flavor. Not a huge fan of rum to begin with but overall great job by Avery. Really different but absolutely delicious. (282 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours clear dark ruby color, not much head at pour. Aroma smells spicey, clovey, cinnamon, faint pumpkin. Alcohol seems to be a big factor in aroma as well. Alcohol from rum is definitely the biggest factor in flavor, especially when the beer is colder. Still clovey cinnamon spice in flavor but not very well in balance with rum. Pumpkin takes a while to find, becomes slightly more evident in flavor as beer warms. Mouthfeel is relatively thick. Finish has an mild alcohol burn. Sweetness is a little on the heavy side, and lingers on finish. Was hoping for a litte more pumpkn and for rum to be a little more balanced with the rest of the flavors. Glad I could say I got to try it though. (691 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Surprisingly light in color, a light murky brown with a very thin head. Smells of pumpkin and spices. Cake and pumpkin tastes are upfront with nutmeg and cinnamon lingering on the pallet, along with a boozy warming sensation (15.9% anyone??). The beer is a sipper for sure, feels real bubbly in the mouth. (305 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled in October, 2011. Not sure if I'm ready for this.

Pours a deep copper/brown color with good clarity. A small tan head fades and leaves some lacing. Smell is FULL of alcohol with lots of spices, pumpkins, grains, and caramel. Aroma is strong. Taste is decent. So much booze and pumpkin. Not much going on in the taste. Leaves a sticky coating on the tongue. Mouthfeel is pretty full. Overall this is a truly unique beer but just too much for my palate. (502 characters)

Rumpkin from Avery Brewing Company