Rumpkin - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  18.53% ABV

Availability: Fall

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 10-09-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next › last »

Beerdius, Dec 29, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

Bottle at Hop n Pie poured into a snifter and sipped SLOWLY!

Aroma: Dark malts mixed with a spiced rum quality like your smelling a bottle of Captain Morgan or Kraken. A small whiff of aromatic pumpkin and a but of woodsy funk from the barrel.

Taste: Pumpkin pie with a shot of rum! This is really one of the best pumpkin beers I have ever had. The fact that you can taste all of the layers of ingredients at 18% ABV is an accomplishment. I got candied sugar, dark molasses, vanilla, oak, spices, and, of course, pumpkin and a faint balance of grassy hops to balance the considerable sweetness.

Most beers of this strength end up being overpowered by the sugar or alcohol heat but this is drinkable and still tastes like a beer. A true seasonal celebration beer that is special and continues to change as it warms up. It is more like rum or a liquor but with a drinkability that is uncommon for extreme beers.

Mouthfeel: Thick in body but not syrupy or sludgy, doesn't coat or leave oily. Doesn't have the pancake syrup quality of many strong beers and that's a good thing!

Overall: If you see this, drink it. Period.

LubricatedWisdom76, Nov 12, 2012

Avenging_Knight, Jan 24, 2014

levylaw, Feb 18, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Ginzy, Mar 27, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

KhakCane, Aug 30, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Just need to weigh in on this beer. Poured from a bottle in to a Hill Farmstead stemmed snifter. I tried to be patient and let this bad boy warm on the cabinet for a while before cracking open. Should have waited a tad more, but wow. Even at a colder temp you could tell it was going places. As it warmed it began revealing amazing, boozy pumpkin pie flavors. I paired it with some extremely dark chocolate and was in heaven.

I first had this beer at FOBAB in 2012 and recalled adoring it. This was my first chance to revisit it and I'm hoping it becomes an annual thing. I can't recommend this beer enough if you're a fan of big, spicy-sweet yam and pumpkin beers. I do wish I'd enjoyed one at the height of the Autumn months. This would be an absolute gem on a crisp Autumn day.

agwalters, Jan 11, 2014

NicAutry, Nov 17, 2011

mclowery81, Dec 18, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

On tap at the Flying Saucer-Houston. 8oz pour and a good thing too, potent.

A- Deep copper with a short lived white head. No lacing with medium body.

S- Rum, cinnamon, nutmeg, wood.

T- Coconut, wood, cinnamon, nutmeg, alcohol. Low carbonation.

D- Not very drinkable but I really don't think they were shooting for drinkability on this one.

Overall I am glad I tried this monster. The spices are not overdone and it all comes together well. I am pretty sturdy and this one has me whipped at the 4oz mark. A good one timer.

Adouble, Jan 07, 2011

bhollas, Dec 14, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Cloudy amber/caramel color with thin head that dissipates quickly. Nothing spectacular about the appearance, but I don't tend to place too much empahsis on this aspect of beer -- it's more about nose and flavor for me.

The aroma is pretty delightful: torched sugar, rum, caramel, vanilla, booze, a flutter of dark fruit. A second whiff harkens back to mom's kitchen in late autumn in New England - warm pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon.

Taste for me is delectable - like a sweet and complex, albeit boozy, dessert that galvanizes my palate. Almost like noshing on the butane-torch-caramalized crust of a pumpkin custard that's been aged in oak. A truly sweet, rummy, oaky, caramel raisin sensation. When the tasty flavors mellow I become more aware of the intense booze - this one packs a wallop at 15.9%.

Overall this is an outstanding beer. I can see how it could be a bit too sweet for some, but it's a gustatory homerun for me. The second bottle was a bit overkill, but the first one was amazing.

AmgineDanus, Feb 25, 2012

ianorama, Jan 10, 2012

jon96cobra, Jan 17, 2014
3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

I applaud Avery for their inventive brews. I happen to be fairly particular about my pumpkin ales and I was very curious when I came across this one in the local grocery store for a winter seasonal. First off, very little head and carbonation which really leaves the mouthfeel to the weight of the brew itself. Soft, and a little flat. A little heavy, and naturally so at 15%. It is a very interesting combination, I just felt like the ABV weighed it down. Aging in old rum barrels was a clever combo. I wonder if this might be better with a bourbon barrel. Nevertheless, the pumpkin was drowned out. I got a little bit, but I most tasted some spice and brewing sugar. Not a bad beer, imaginative pumpkin ale, probably best for when you are in an exploratory mood.

JDRourke, Dec 16, 2011

overtsilence, Nov 14, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

TheSlipperyOne, Nov 13, 2013

Gsands, Aug 16, 2014

jwk0408, Aug 31, 2014
3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Got to try this at the Cambridge Brewing Company's Pumpkin Beer Festival.

High alcohol content comes through, yet very drinkable. Highly enjoyable - wish it was more widely available.

I believe the alcohol content listed here is incorrect: listing last night was 13.2%, not 13.8%.

Spoonfed, Oct 31, 2010
2.76/5  rDev -32%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle at Common Table. Much more rum beer than pumpkin beer in smell and especially taste. Smooth mouthfeel for such high alcohol content. Sweetness masked any alcohol burn for me - however the sweetness grew to a nearly intolerable level before the bottle was halfway finished. Glad to have tried this one, but far, far too sweet to order again.

ragoins, Nov 06, 2013