Dihos Dactylion - Avery Brewing Company

Dihos DactylionDihos Dactylion

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  10.30% ABV

Ale aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels.

(Beer added by: thagr81us on 02-15-2011)
4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had at the Meddlesome Moth in Dallas. Was able to have a bottle a few days after their Avery Experience Dinner. Split with a friend and chose this over the Depeuceluce due to the fact that this had Cabernet undertones. We were not disappointed.

Aroma is very strong Cab. Basically it smells just like a red wine. Taste begins the same, but the sour notes, fruit (cherry) and the carbonation take over.

Overall, this is an excellent beer from start to finish. I highly recommend this!

AAxsom, Jun 21, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Choice City Butcher for stocking up on this-- Allowed me to try a 12oz bottle, months after Avery's release event. I poured into a tulip glass.

A -- Pours a gorgeous cloudy auburn color with a swirl of solid carbonation. Nice fizzy beige head of about one-half inch.

S-- Sourness, grape, blackberry, blueberry, Cab Sav. Slight oakiness.

T-- Wow. Bitter, tangy melon flavors. Hint of cantaloupe on the finish. The heavy alcohol is part of the experience. Not for the timid. You've got to love beer and red wine.

M-- Medium bodied and somewhat creamy. Well carbonated from the get-go and the carbonation is pretty relentless. Nice quick finish leaves you feeling puckered and wanting more-- but not too much more.

O-- I estimate this bottle had been aging for four months or so. That must have helped. I bet I would like this beer anyway, but it seems to be aging very well. Excellent. I tend to like Avery's experimental stuff, and this is another feather in their cap.

UpToMeBeer, Jun 20, 2011

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle covered in gold foil. Opened and poured into my Dogfish Head snifter glass. Served at cellar temperature. Bottle dated Feb. 11, 2011 (10.74% ABV).

Appearance: Amber red in color. Fizzy offwhite head recedes almost instantly. Clear in color and no yeast collection at the bottom of the glass.

Aroma: There is definitely a pronounced funk note in the aroma here. Some tart cherry fruit and lemon notes are definitely there too, but it is definitely not fruit forward. Hints of Cabernet and oak are definitely present. A slight hint of the ABV is there too after further inspection.

Taste: The funk notes of horse blanket and barnyard definitely dominate here as well. Just incredible amounts of brett funk considering this hasn't really had that much time in the bottle. A slight tart cherry note is really all I get for sour or fruit notes. The funk is definitely the main attraction. Some Cabernet and oak notes from the barrels are there in small amounts as well. Pleasant and drinkable, but I could see anyone who was expecting a really sour ale to be disappointed.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation. Stays light in the mouth.

Overall, a really pleasant, incredibly funky sour. Unfortunately the sour element is really subdued. I really enjoyed the funk and thought it really added a lot to the beer. The other elements were a bit average. A good, not great sour ale with tons of funk.

Gosox8787, Jun 17, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured into a small snifter. Pours a ruby sort of amber ish. Hazy. Thin white head dissipated to nothing but a thin ring. No lacing.

Aroma smells super sour. Super funky too. Bit of sour cherry.

Taste is not as good as expected according to the aroma. It's really plain. Really just a bit of that Bret funk with a bit of tartness. It really needs some more tart and flavor.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry. Good high carb.

Overall an ok beer. Not worth the price for the 12 oz though.

PeprSprYoFace, Jun 15, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked this up recently not thinking much would come of it, I was wrong.

This beer is fantastic. The apperance is good, reddish, amber in color with a very thin head.

The aroma is very promising. Huge Bretty nose. Stinky cheese, lactic tartness and big dose of fruit. The Cab barrel is very evident. A ton of oak in the nose.

The flavor is flat out excellent. TONS of Brett complexity. Stinky cheese, hay, grass, earthy flavors all over. Then a rush of sour followed by a mild sweetness and a very dry finish. Wow, I'm actually stunned at how good this beer is. The Brett plays lead no doubt. No trace of the abv. The mouthfeel is good, not great. Would like a little more carbonation.

Overall, I enjoyed the hell out of this beer and plan on buying it up if I can find more. On par with some of the best AWAs available in the US.

Brew33, Jun 09, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

12oz bottle into an Avery Tulip.

Pours a rusty copper with a thin off white head. Looks rather still, not showing any bubbles moving through the body.

Nose is tart, with elements of sweet fruits, tart vinegar, and a touch of funk.

Taste is interesting. The beer has a sweet/sour thing going on, but rather than a fruit sweetness it's more of an alcohol sweetness. I keep thinking this should be called a "Sour English Barleywine." I'm not getting any of the Cabernet, but I'm no expert in wine.

Mouth is heavy. It's not bad, but it doesn't have that dry, crisp quality that so many great American Wilds display. It is moderately carbonated.

Overall, an interesting take on the American Wild style. Worth a look, but not the best in category.

mondegreen, May 29, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -40.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Thanks to SuperNova777 for opening this bottle for a couple of us.

A- Pours a coppery amber color. Two finger white head shows great retention that ends up lightly capping the top of my beer. Nice streaky/sheety lacing on the sides of the glass when I took each sip.

S- This is interesting to say the least. I picked this up first and another couple people said the same thing. It smelled of some soured vinegar upfront. Nothing wrong with this of course....which leads to the next aroma. Tuna fish...as weird as this sounds this was a huge aroma as well. I mean canned tuna like scent. Like I said I had others agree with me on this one. After this there was a barnyard funk that went along with the style of the beer. Alcohol was light in the nose in the ending. Oddly enough this beer didn't have a horrible smell it was just well...disinteresting to me.

T- This beer starts off with a nice vinegar like sourness to it. Good start I think...haha. Next comes that damn tuna fish flavor. Like I said it tasted to me just like a fresh opened can of tuna. It wasn't horrible to be honest but not what I was looking for in what I thought was a soured beer..haha. Ending shows off some horseblanket barnyard funk. Alcohol comes in the very ending with a hint of vinegar as well. The flavor profile was pretty much dead on to what I was smelling...it wasn't too terrible but not what I was looking for in my flavor profile.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was good for the style I thought. Barnyard funk and tuna fish are left on the palate. Aftertaste showed a little tuna fish, alcohol, barnyard funk and hints of vinegar. Flavors were not out of balance but with such funky flavors I suppose it was in balance. No real off flavors?? Tuna fish I suppose was a off flavor but I couldn't tell of any other. High alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This beer was interesting. Not horrible but nothing that I would be seeking out again. ABV really isn't a huge part of this beer until it drys out the ending. Like I said the tuna fish flavor and scent was not only picked out by me in the group but others as well. Don't know what that was about oh well...can't win them all.

alleykatking, May 25, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from the bottle into a New Belgium tulip.

Crimson red with a nice 1cm head around the top of it. Lots of bubbles coming off the nucleation etching on the bottom of the glass. Some thin but coating lacing down the side as I sip.

Big vinous fruit notes are the most obvious scents... Raspberries, strawberries and cherries mixed together in a fresh wine barrel. Some alcohol in there as well, as well as lactic like qualities. Nice.

The taste runs along the same lines as the smell. Lots of fruit and wine flavors with some acidic qualities mid palate. Pretty delicious and I would have guessed that this beer would have been around 7-8% if I hadn't known better. Not too sour, which is nice. Could use a bit of drying flavors in here though to round out the sweetness.

Mouthfeel is medium full and juicy. Not too much carbontion once it is in your mouth which is nice.

Overall, a pretty good wild ale. Reminds me a lot of Supplication but without the big time cherry flavors you get form a fresh bottle of Supplication. Nice job, I would love to have more of this to age. I could see the beer becoming a bit more dry with time, which is really what this beer needs to be a great one.

auroracrisis, May 21, 2011

Pour yields a light reddish beer with a small white head and a bit of light lacing. The nose brings forward a bit of wine character plus some raspberries. A bit of oak and mild acid. The flavor brings forward a good amount of red wine, oak, and lactic acid. A bit of berry and slight dark fruits. Body is light to medium with good acidity and some mild tannins. Pretty nice, though not my favorite in the series.

Thorpe429, May 16, 2011

A - Red amber color beer with a good sized white head that had some decent retention. Faded to an uneven cap with some pretty solid lacing on the sides.

S - Vinous qualities are fairly pleasant. Lot of berry flavor here with strawberries, raspberries, and some general other berry stuff going on. I get some sort of sweeter, more melon-like flavors on the nose as well.

T - Oak from the barrel, as well as wine qualities. There is a good amount of berry flavor with some lactic sourness on the end. Not bad, and the alcohol is pretty well hidden considering the ABV.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, tannic on the end.

O - Pretty good beer, not great as far as a wild goes, but quite good and enjoyable to drink.

AgentZero, May 11, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

Review from notes last week of a 12 oz bottle bottled 02/11/11.
A: Slightly cloudy burnt orange/red, cream collar and film and lacing.
S: Oaky cabernet, musty, cranberry, caramel... OK.
T: Slightly over-acidic, but otherwise balanced. Lemon finish, dark candi sugar, grape juice, and a sticky sweetness that stays on your teeth.
M: Thin and bubbly like champagne, it is crisp and sticky.
O: Nothin mind-blowing, but good nonetheless. I probably won't get another bottle, but I might try it on tap if the occasion arises.

ne0m00re, May 06, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is great. I get a lot of tart fruit and some toffee malt. I could smell this beer all day long.

The flavor is full of tart strawberries with some toffee mixed in. The beer is fairly sour and is very dry and very drinkable. There is also a little bit of funk mixed into the flavor. Very nice.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, May 04, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle to tulip. Liiks good; like a barrel-aged ale. Smells and tastes excellent. The sour and the cab-barreled wood complement each other nicely. Mouthfeel is good - warm though. Overall, a good beer. It borders on excellent, but not at $9/12 oz. bottle.

b3shine, May 04, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Thanks to BA morningthief for getting me this bottle (traded it for a KBS).

Appearance: Free pour yields a one and a half inch fizzy offwhite head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing. Pours a slightly hazy ruby and leaves a few sweeping patches of lacing.

Smell: Strong lactic sourness. Mild fruit notes, cherry and strawberry. With warmth, the fruit opens up and gets stronger, but still not much else I can put my finger on. Faint oak. Decent brettanomyces tang.

Taste: Nice, deeper and darker flavors than in the smell. Creamy body comes as a welcome surprise, and works well with the mild lactic sourness, Cabernet Sauvignon, and vanilla oak flavors. Can immediately taste the 10.74% ABV--this is a hot beer, with alcohol heat lingering through the finish like hard liquor. More oak influence than wine, but the cab flavors come out stronger and deeper with warmth. More fruit emerges as well, with some melon and citrus flavors. Brettanomyces has very little influence on the flavor, though it comes out in the aftertaste occasionally.

This beer is packed with good flavor. Lots of complexity, and well-balanced. It's too hot for me, but perhaps that's the price paid to get all these beautiful flavors into the beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and very creamy. Well carbonated. Reasonably puckering. Excessively hot, but that hurts the flavor more than the feel (I enjoy a nice lingering alcohol heat now and then).

Overall: This is a very good beer, though perhaps it's too confused to be a great beer. It has bright, fruity flavors bolstered by well-implemented wild yeast and bacteria sourness, so it should be refreshing... but then there's this enormous alcohol heat burning up the refreshment, along with mildly smokey and dark fruity cab flavors and big oak influence, both of which suggest a deep, decadent treat more than Spring/Summer refreshment.

The flavors are balanced, in that they work well together, nothing jumps out and overpowers (though the heat threatens to), but they're don't necessarily compliment each other that much. If it were food, you could perhaps say the chef should have done a little editing. Still, it's a very well made beer that's packed with flavor. I'll enjoy finishing this bottle (already about 40 minutes into it) and would happily buy another.

Pahn, May 03, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Russian River stemmed glass.

A - Pours a bit murky and with lots of carbonation rising throughout the glass. Has a pinkish red tinted amber color and is capped by a finger of off-white foam that fizzes a bit quickly but then leaves a thick collar and a low layer on the surface for most of the remainder of the glass, as well as leaving behind some spiderwebby lacing too.

S - Interesting aroma. I get cantaloupe, over-ripe strawberries, red wine and lots of horsey funk. Mildly tart on the nose - lactic especially. Some interesting aromas here.

T - Somewhat sweet and fruity up front, still getting some strawberry but no cantaloupe in the flavor, but add in some cherry. Lactic sourness is on the low side, really just enough to make this pretty refreshing but not intense enough to be puckering. Red wine flavors come through more as it warms a bit. Alcohol shows up as the beer warms too - I found it unnoticeable in the first half of the glass, but it crept up on me in the second half.

M - Crisply and refreshingly tart, filled with fruity and winey flavors and somewhat light in body. Carbonation is ample and lively complementing the beer well. Sweet up front but dries out a bit on the finish.

O - Overall, a good effort. I find this very enjoyable. I wouldn't put it in the top tier of American Wilds...too many outstanding ones out there. I'd certainly have this again, although the $11 price tag for a 12oz bottle is a bit of a detractor for future purchases...rather go with a Girardin 1882 for a couple bucks less.

portia99, May 01, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

This is one of the first sour beers which was better than expected. Got this beer in a trade with Listenatjoes when we met in Brussels.

Poured in my La Trappe small tasting glass this beer looks like a typical sour beer. A nice amber colour and the fresh sour smell in the glass.

This is not (and will not be) my favourite style but this is a good sour ale to try this style.

Thanks Joe!!

Brabander, May 01, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -7%

I've had 3 bottles of this brew so far. 2 were chilled/ fridge temperature & 1 was straight from the cellar. I feel it's best served at cellar temp. It was very closed in aroma and taste when chilled.

Poured into my Petrus triple glass. Nice rose petal, copper color with a light frothy head of foam. On the nose I get, well I get rum and fresh cut pineapple, very tropical. Even a bit of cantaloupe or honeydew. Oak is there, smells tart somewhat acidic, with fresh cherries & strawberries. Some taninns from the wine barrels are evident. I know the wine barrels used for aging are from the famed Plumpjack winery in California, which I believe the barrels held Cabernet. I'm not picking up alot of Cabernet aromas though, no lead pencil, cedar box, or dark currant.
Fresh strawberries and cherries are more pronounced in the palate, still fresh pineapple there as well. Oak, a little vanilla, buttery. Toasted bread or marshmallows. Tart, but not very sour or acidic, fresh crab apples. Tropical fruit all the way through. Has the feeling of a rum & pineapple juice coxtail. Light to medium in body, very easy to drink. ABv is hidden well for almost 11%. Tart red fruit, grape skins? Stawberries in the finish, with noticeable oak and tannins. Not overly complex, but unique.

The more I drink this I think of a Rose wine from the Tavel region of France, interesting.

CashMoneyVagrant, Apr 26, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

On-tap at Oakquinox

A: The beer pours amber in color with a medium sized khaki head.

S: Starts off with a nice lactic tartness and perhaps just a touch of vinegar. A little bit of a sour cherry aroma and some nice wine and oak aromas. In fact, there's quite a heavy cabernet note to this beer.

T: Lots and lots of wine flavor with a solid oak quality, including some mild tannins. A mild fruitiness which consists primarily of cherries and grapes, perhaps a little bit of red berries, too.

M: Medium in both body and carbonation.

O: Good beer from Avery. Pleasant to drink and surprisingly easy to do so, despite a rather high ABV.

womencantsail, Apr 24, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -7%

Graciously provided by Boatshoes. I've always been interested in trying all of the Avery Barrel-aged series so I'm lucky to have connections with Fletcher out there. Poured into a Lost Abbey stemmed tulip.

This bottle says 10.74%ABV Bottled on Feb 11, 2011
Appearance
Its a completely hazed ruddy ruby red. The foam rises up tall and will stand up out of the glass before fading to some trails of lace.

Aroma
The aroma here is very soft and quite surprising. It lacks a big acidic and sour wallop that I was expecting from a beer of nearly 11%abv that contains Brett, Lacto and Pedio. The Cabernet Sauvignon barrels are what is doing all the leg work. Its essentially like a berries and creme aroma, its very nice. Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries create a sweet berry blend. Vanilla notes of angel's food cake and whipped cream are dolloped on top. Some alcohol is buried beneath, it takes some swirling to uncover it's sharp astringency and wine essence. Boy, this is inviting to say the least. I just wish things were pumped up, where's the volume knob on this stuff?

Taste
Well, this beer certainly isn't stuck on mute. The taste is evidence of this. This is a big sour. The actual sourness is very softened, but the aroma had me prepared for that. Rhubarb flavors bring the tartness that really bites on to the sides of the palate. This modest sourness is, at least, held even throughout the whole flavor experience. There is lots of sweet cherry and raspberry present. A silky vanilla note is woven throughout. The finish is nearly citrusy with perceivable orange zest.

Mouthfeel
Very dry and highly acidic. The body is quite near full and the alcohol is very potent. This is a very warming beer, especially for a sour. The effects of the near 11% abv are easily felt all the way down the chest.

Overall
Pretty good stuff, it starts off in a really nice, interesting direction but I'm not sure if it reaches fruition.

MbpBugeye, Apr 23, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into that trusty shaker glass--again. Poured a amber/brown color with no head to speak of. Tartness and funk on the nose; taste was great: sour cherries, malt, and wood with a little funk thrown in. Avery has done some nice things with their BA releases; looking forward to their next one.

Schmittymack, Apr 15, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours with a 1 finger off-white head. A clear reddish-amber. Aroma is primarily cherries and wine barrel. Initial taste impression is cherries, some spice, and vinegar; quite tart and prickly from carbonation. As it warms, the carbonation mellows and some wood and pomegranate appear. The alcohol is very well hidden. Overall, quite a nice sour, if not exceptionally complex. Worth the trade (thanks, doobliebop).

kscaldef, Apr 03, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -1%

Bottle into Goblet, bottled 2/11/2011
A - A hazy amber with a slightly red hue, 1 finger head disappeared quickly to a minimal crown 3.5
S - Fruity in the front, sweet malts amongst a general sourness, raspberries & banana 4.5
T - Wow tangy sour start, cherry/berry notes, slightly medicinal, a bit of an astringent finish, definitely a red wine tannin quality to it, a bitterness throughout the whole taste I'm unable to describe without more wild ales under my belt 4.0
M - Light to moderate mouth feel but so big in taste, I enjoyed the level of carbonation 4
O - A crisp flavorful drinking beer, enjoyable even to an amateur like me, I would have another one but not in the same sitting 4

rsdaugherty, Mar 29, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

A: poured into a tulip dihos pours a dark copper with a red hue quite a bit of head that dissipates pretty quick leaving nice lacing.

S: funk! smells of tartness, brett, cherry and a bit medicinal.

T: quite a bit of cherry on this one, first taste very tart with a long finish.

M this one has quite a bit of carbonation, nice amount of bubbles coming up throughout the entirety, finishes pretty dry.

O: overall this is a great beer for sour fans and even if you don't like sours you should be able to enjoy this beer thoroughly. the 10.74% is masked very well.

holden303, Mar 25, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an Avery tulip.  Beer was a hazy amber color with a one-finger, off-white head.  Soft carbonation with some lacing around the glass.

Aroma was sour lemons, grapes, raspberries and some funky brett notes.  Very nice.
Taste was sour cherries, grapes, vanilla, grains and oak.  Not as complex as the aroma, but still quite delish.
Another delicious treat from Avery's barrel aged series. The last couple of releases have been fantastic!

drumrboy22, Mar 25, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Wasn't able to make it up to Avery for the release, so thanks to Ratman for sharing a bottle with us the other day. Pours a slightly hazy amber color with a nice white head. Good tart/funky aromas, red grapes, wood, raisins and brett. On the palate, this one is light to medium bodied, with a nice tartness, wood, grapes, bordeux and brett. Excellent.

emmasdad, Mar 24, 2011