Dry-Hopped New World Porter - Avery Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: GRG1313 on 02-19-2011)

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

A rich brown with red tints and a tan head welcomes you on this one.

Nose is big milk chocolate with rich full coffee, carmel, toffee and red fruit/plum tones. Layers of goodness fill the air and keep pleasing.

Mouthfeel is rich, full, bold and well balanced. This porter just "tastes expensive."

Flavors meet expectations with assertive and bold big forward hop bitter and huge character all around. Sweet layers of coffee, carmel, chocolate, sweet molasses and malted milk are mouth filling and delicious. Huge bitter to huge sweet to huge bitter with complex richness and layers all around.

For my taste and in my opinion...this is just a wonderful glass of beer. Avery at it's best.

Note: My notes did not reflect the name of this beer. I posted and sought assistance. The following was a much appreciated response:

"If it was during the Margarete party, it was a keg of New World Porter with a pound of hops in the keg. We made a small stash of them for the Tap Room and simply called them "Dry Hopped New World Porter." I can't recall which hop was used in that particular keg, though... we varied them between Centennial and Columbus, I believe.

Glad you enjoyed it...

Andy Parker
Senior Brewer/Barrel Herder
Avery Brewing Company "

There you have it. I'm hoping Avery continues to dry hop its Porter. I'll try it every time!

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Its dry hopped. Wondering if they used colombus hops. Ha.
This pours a dark dark coffee brown-black, with a heady amount of foam that collapses into a mushy toasted marshmallow. There’s a sharp roasty aroma that snaps your olfactory senses to attention, and big flavors which commandeer your taste buds. Lots of roast up front, followed by a big hoppy bite. The dry hopping is evident and enjoyable. Yum!

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Lightly chilled 12 oz. bottle into a 12 oz. tulip. Bottle declares it's "A Pioneer Black IPA".

Look- Deep brown with a finger and a half of dense beige head that falls to a lopsided cap. Excellent lacing.

Smell- Nutty, roasty, chocolaty with a hint of earthy spice. Bold, aromatic. Nice.

Taste- Follows the aroma- a richly chocolaty, roasty, toasted malt presence with a distinctive hop kick in the middle. Rounded bitterness, vanilla, molasses. All balanced and well-placed. Finishes with toasted gingerbread and herbal bittering. Lingering tea and candied pecan.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, light carbonation. Slick feel, dry finish. Easy drinking.

Overall- Definitely a cut above. There aren't many decent shelf porters available in Texas, so I made a point to pick up a second six pack after cracking the first. Enough flavor to qualify as a dessert pairing, but neither boozy nor heavy. Hoppy porter or full-bodied nutty CDA, whatever it may be I like it.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- opaque brown with a thin tan head some lacing but not much.

Aroma- Earthy, PIney, Bordering on ... not that pleasant. black licorice, slightly bandaid.

Taste- smoke, coffee and some plum. It is very hop forward for a porter IMO. This explains the aroma, some of those volatile dry hopped aromas i don't think blend well with the darker roasted grains. The taste is better than the smell. Some tobacco leather in the finish.

Mouthfeel- lighter to medium bodied hops definitely stick to the palette. It finishes like a hoppier brown ale to me than a porter.

Overall- I dig it. It is not what I think of when I want a porter, but if i wanted some roast and some hop but not a CDA, I would go for this.

3.4/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

App: straight black with nominal carbonation and strong hoppy aroma as poured into a pint glass

Entree: nice smooth initial taste, with the hops masking to an extent the porter tones, and of course hoppiness then lingers through to aftertaste ( by greatest disdain of IPAs / over hopped up beers)

Dessert: mid pint, my taste buds it seems have acclimated to the hops, which to my amazement makes me (dare I say it) enjoy the last bit; what I thought I was to complain / cry foul of in it being a black IPA, I must now say was tolerable (with mild linger hops in the aftertaste).

A limited release by Avery, and having not had such a porter with this profile, will honor and grade it above average.

Dry-Hopped New World Porter from Avery Brewing Company