Avery Anniversary Ale - Eighteen (Dry Hopped Rye Saison) - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Anniversary Ale - Eighteen (Dry Hopped Rye Saison)Avery Anniversary Ale - Eighteen (Dry Hopped Rye Saison)

good

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.12% ABV

(Beer added by: t420o on 06-03-2011)
3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Amber pour with a moderate white foam head and almost no lacing.

S - Spicy scent of rye. Other light grains give a scent of fresh bread.

T - Fresh, clean rye flavor with a spicy bite at then end. Some garden spices are noted as well. A mild hop bitterness balances htis one out.

M - Smooth feel, mild except in the raspy finish. Balance is nice, and this one goes great with snack foods.

O - The fresh rye really makes this one a nice beer. Since I like both farmhouse ales and rye beers this was a treat. I didn't get any of the musky yeast scent typical in saison but that's fine. I think the age did this one well.

3.03/5  rDev -17%

A-Turbid orange/brown. Head is a light blade of froth. Head is slightly tan. The cap leaves rings of lacing.

S-Wreaks of esters. A slight note of green hops that has faded over time (assuming this keg was from its original brewing date). Rye with slight spice. The rye seems almost stagnant and has lost some of that 'zip' that makes rye some fun and noticeable. A bit of melon and a bunch of eatery apple juice. Quite sweet overall. Not heavy with yeast.

T-Apple juice and fruit juice concentrate. Light grass. Old pears dipped in caramel. Spots of rye. Cloves. Mild yeast. Too sweet.

M-Sticky and lingering upon the tongue. Not an enjoyable feel. Semi-flat. Not so dry.

O/D-Not fan of this. Almost bought a bottle back when it was still on the shelves. A 'Dry Hopped Rye Saison' sounds fun. I am happy I passed back then because I did not enjoy a glass of it now. I assume this is a keg that has sat around for a while. In that case, this brew did not age with much grace.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

A: deep amber/amber brown body, a thin layer of ivory head; drops some lacing and motes

S: sweet, chewy caramel and rye bread

T: this may be more for a rye ale lover than a saison lover - a definite dark, sweet, chewy malt base - lots of rye - which I loved; toast, booze, grains, caramel, toffee; herbal rye has an upfront chewy sweetness

M: can I say chewy again? Thicker-feeling than most saisons, and a richer, heartier beer; not as carbonated; the rye truly changes the character into something different. Fairly low-key aftertaste - almost clean-finishing.

O: I really liked this beer, but as you can see, in my experience at least, this was more of a rye ale than a farmhouse ale - but maybe I've only run into lighter-tasting and feeling saisons - I don't know. I've only had a few rye ales/ales which feature rye, but for me this beer was the rye-est beer I've had. It really rocks the rye - so fans will enjoy. Think: caramel rye ale.

I'm thinking I'm way above the average rating because I really liked the rye, and while I love saisons, I wasn't disappointed or thrown off by this beer's flavor profiles. If I was dying to have a saison - and it was in my heart and mind that it was what I was going to have, this beer probably would have gotten a different review.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

A: pours a nice reddish amber hue with a small off white head and minimal retention into a duvel tulip
S: smells slightly fruity, a bit spicy from the rye and yeast, a little citrus, and an underlying sweetness
T: fruity esters up front, rye spice and yeast, a little hop bitterness, rich and sweet malt flavor. swallow brings a bit of oily hop flavor, spicy rye and some more fruity esters
M: light carbonation and a slightly syrupy feel in the mouth. a bit too viscous for the style
O: Not a bad beer, it probably would have been a bit better fresh due to the dry hopping but it isn't bad. Definitely drinkable but it misses some things I'd have liked to see out of it.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

From 06/20/12 notes. Had on tap at FireWorks in Arlington, VA. Served in a tulip.

a - Pours a murky amber-red color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of bananas, rye, spices, wheat, floral notes, and bready malts. Very nice bananas, rye, and spice mix; I like it quite a bit.

t - Tastes of bready malts, bananas, wheat, spices, rye, pepper, light fruity malts. Less rye than the nose, but still quite nice.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Smooth and easy to drink.

o - Overall I liked this one quite a bit; exactly what I was hoping for in a rye saison. More rye in the nose than the taste, but a nice mix of bananas, spices, and rye all around. Would like to have it again.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance:
Served in a tulip glass that exhibits a brown copper huen color. The head held some carbonation around.

Smell:
A bit of Belgian yeast and the rest is muted. I wish it was on draft a while back because of the year it sat I can see the extra bits of the nose suffered. There is a bit of hops, rye, and black pepper in the nose but alot has faded into a medium bodied malt.

Taste & Mouthfeel:
Its a nice combination that even not being fresh - was a nice take. I will say the nose laided out the taste. The hops just faded away and the rye was really working with the malt. The mouthfeel was a little thicker than I was expecting but it works with the context.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Avery Anniversary Ale - Eighteen (Dry Hopped Rye Saison) from Avery Brewing Company