Avery Anniversary Ale - Eighteen (Dry Hopped Rye Saison) - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Anniversary Ale - Eighteen (Dry Hopped Rye Saison)Avery Anniversary Ale - Eighteen (Dry Hopped Rye Saison)

good

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.12% ABV

Beer added by: t420o on 06-03-2011

3.03/5  rDev -17%

A-Turbid orange/brown. Head is a light blade of froth. Head is slightly tan. The cap leaves rings of lacing.

S-Wreaks of esters. A slight note of green hops that has faded over time (assuming this keg was from its original brewing date). Rye with slight spice. The rye seems almost stagnant and has lost some of that 'zip' that makes rye some fun and noticeable. A bit of melon and a bunch of eatery apple juice. Quite sweet overall. Not heavy with yeast.

T-Apple juice and fruit juice concentrate. Light grass. Old pears dipped in caramel. Spots of rye. Cloves. Mild yeast. Too sweet.

M-Sticky and lingering upon the tongue. Not an enjoyable feel. Semi-flat. Not so dry.

O/D-Not fan of this. Almost bought a bottle back when it was still on the shelves. A 'Dry Hopped Rye Saison' sounds fun. I am happy I passed back then because I did not enjoy a glass of it now. I assume this is a keg that has sat around for a while. In that case, this brew did not age with much grace.

3.03/5  rDev -17%

22 ounce bottle - $7.99 at Olde Crabapple Bottle Shoppe in Alpharetta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a light amber-brown body with a modestly-sized, sudsy, off-white head.

Smell: A drizzle of caramel tossed with rye grains, toasted barley, cheap chewing gum, steeping clove tea bags, dehydrated grasses, pine sap, citrus pith. Frankly, it comes across as a bit medicinal.

Taste: Toasted grains, a little bit of sweetish caramel tucked under the combined surge of zesty rye, hop bitterness, and spicy, clove-like yeast phenolics. Moderately bitter. Some resins ride out, joining a bit of warm alcohol and a tiny pinch of abrasive citrus pith. A few pre-chewed Chiclets. A soft, understated maltiness returns after the fireworks die down. Finishes dry, grassy, and with a dull, sustained spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Eighteen came across as a bit jumbled and a bit coarse, certainly not what I'm looking for in a saison. As far as their anniversary series goes, seventeen was alright, I suppose. The one I've always been saddened for never being able to locate was Sixteen. Ah well!

3.07/5  rDev -15.9%

I don't understand this beer. For the components, the beer is alright. I felt like the saison didn't mesh with the rye. The rye came through strong, but the saison really fought these flavors.

The rye was very strong, and the funk was present. The saison came in on the back end of most drinks. It was almost like having a restaurant serve sweet and savory in the same dish without complication. The savory was very dominant, and the sweet came in poorly.

I'm aging this beer, and I'm hoping that this mix will mellow with time... or I might just trade with it.

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

A: Darker copper color with a nice frothy almond colored head. Good clarity with little haze. 3.5

S: Malty rye/smoke/spice. Not much else. Couldn’t tell this was Belgian style. 3

T&M: Kind of a dominant rye flavor. Some pepper and a hoppy backbone. Very little Belgian spice or Saison flavors. Mouthfeel is medium to high carbonation. 3 / 3.5

O: Not much about this speaks to me in a Belgian way. I just got back from Belgian sampling some of the best of all the styles and I don’t think I ran into a Saison that was brewed with rye. This could be a renegade experimental American touch. I’m not sure it works. 3

3.1/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from the bottle into a Perfect Pint glass.

A. Wow, I wasn't expecting a beer quite as dark as that. It's a clear dark amber that's almost the colour of an English bitter.

S. Very saison-like - fruity and rich. Nothing out of the ordinary.

T. This is a very confused beer, I think. The basic saison flavours really don't sit well with the rye, and the dry hopping is just adding to the problem. It reminds me of a line from a Mighty Boosh song - "Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either".

M. I'll give it its due, it has a good mouthfeel.

O. This is a beer that should not have happened. It just doesn't work. The different parts of the beer aren't compatible and I'm left with a rather unpleasant aftertaste and about 16oz of beverage that's going down the drain.

3.11/5  rDev -14.8%

Re-post from my hacked "jmkratt" :(

I was very excited to try this! Avery's limited releases have proven to be well worth the price and this brew certainly sounded interesting! Bottled May 2011 to a globe glass.

A - The beer pours a dark yellow with a bit of dark amber red. A slight 3/4 finger white head with some retention and lacing as expected.

S - Pepper, spice and a bit of sweet malt. No hop presence. The yeast provides the familiar banana with just a bit of clove. Not a lot to report.

T - Similar to the nose. Begins with a a hint of light malt sweetness. A touch of toast with toffee and caramel character. Then the flavors come. First is the strong peppery spice of the rye found in the nose. Then the yeast provides banana and bubble gum esters. A slight presence of hops, which in my opinion don't provide any benefit to the flavor and seem to contrast the palate, slightly earthen in flavor. Finishes clean with a hint of bitterness. I really don't care for the flavor here, very average, too many competing flavors that don't seem to blend or work well together.

M - Light carbonation with a lighter end of medium body.

O - Interesting beer, though not for me. Too much going on. Not all that refreshing. Not what I was expecting from a saison. Rare Avery release that I don't care for.

Reviewed on: 06-07-2011 15:44:53

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%

Avery's use of the silver or gold foil-lined caps gets me every time. One of the coolest designs in craft beer. This anniversary beer is no different; very cool label as well.

After the foil has been peeled back and this beer is opened, it is poured into one of my favorite tasting glasses, my 10oz miniature "pint" glass.

A distinctly amber pour is surprising given the style, and is accompanied by a half an inch of slightly off-white head. Rice, spice, funky yeast and a strange malt-type aroma fill the upper reaches of my glass. The smell is pleasing, but still, there is something about it I don't quite like (or perhaps understand).

The combination of dry-hopping along with the use of rye and Belgian yeast creates an unusual earthy and grainy taste accompanied by funky bitterness. This is one of the most unusual saisons I've ever had. To me, it tastes more like a funky amber ale.

A decent offering, but most likely the worst of the Avery anniversary offerings that I've had.

3.17/5  rDev -13.2%

I poured into the well-known correct glass for a dry-hopped rye saison. What? You don't know what that is? I pity you, little person! Pours copper color with a thin active off-white head. It smells like a candy store, sugar and peppermint. And tree bark. Sort of a woody-earthy thingy. The taste is dry, spicy, and hoppy. I'm not sure the smell and the taste have been introduced to each other. I get some rye bread, some sharp hops, and a little pepper. The mouthfeel is slick and fizzy. I knew a guy like that once. Overall, it has a lot of interesting stuff going on but I'm not sure its a symphony so much as it an orchestra tuning. Lots of good stuff, but all at once?

3.17/5  rDev -13.2%

Avery Anniverysary 18

Enjoyed at The Petrol Station in Houston, TX

Poured into a pint glass

A: pours an amber brown with 1 finger of weak head that barely retains. no lacing to speak of

S: interesting aroma, barnyard funky like a saison should be, with hoppiness and a sour/tartness I associate with lambics. Almost jam-like, strawberry?

T: the fruity, jam flavor does not show up. It's mostly a funkiness, followed by mild bitterness from the hops

M: very smooth, no lingerness from the hops, very drinkable.

O: a very confusing brew, not constrained by any criteria. I could be convinced it's a beer from several different genres. I think I'd try it again, but only on a whim, nothing I'd seek out

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

On tap at Fire Works Pizza in Arlington, VA over the weekend. Served in a taster glass. Pours a reddish-copper color with a thin off-white head and a bit of lacing as it falls down the glass. The nose carries a good bit of rye along with some peppery spice. Faint fruit there as well. Flavor keeps up with the high pepper and spice combo, with a lot of rye zestiness in there. Body is a bit chewy and a bit too thick for my liking. Decent.

Avery Anniversary Ale - Eighteen (Dry Hopped Rye Saison) from Avery Brewing Company