Uncle Jacob's Stout - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  16.90% ABV

Beer added by: emmasdad on 04-08-2012

In the quest to create a collection of barrel-aged beers to be reproduced annually, Avery Brewing Company is releasing Uncle Jacob’s Stout, the second member of its Annual Barrel Series. The collection began with Rumpkin rum barrel-aged pumpkin ale in the fall of 2011, and now continues with this 17.4% ABV stout that was aged in first-use Bourbon barrels for 6 months. While the Avery Barrel-Aged Series features one-time-only batches, such as the recent Muscat d’Amour and Récolte Sauvage, the Annual Barrel Series features a selection of cellarable barrel-aged beers that fans can return to and get to know every year.
Reviews: 289 | Hads: 2,053
Reviews by MystikCelt:

4.5/5  rDev +3%

Vintage Feb 4, 2014- I was not impressed with him fresh. Had 4 bottles and only drank one. The cellar holds an interesting array of developing brews, so these 3 were placed in a temperature appropriate setting (50f). Uncle took a one year nap.

I decided to awaken him, so rather than tickle under the chin: I popped the cap and poured a black, sweet smelling syrup into a snifter. The uncle said "f@ck to Kentucky and any county that might produce bourbon. Colorado sh!ts better beer than you can make. " He presents himself sweeter and more bitter than the county locals.

So what if he is unbalanced? A little crazy is better than dull. His sugar is high, but damn if he will ever use insulin like a weakling... He will die sweet and bitter

He feels ready to stretch his legs after a year rest, so breaks into a bourbon fueled jog. Impossible to sprint with him, it's slow going. Sip after sip at his flask, he wearily reaches the county line.

He comes in a solid second, with the county local loping gracefully past him: honking like a goose and reminding Uncle of his huge cost. A year rest surely helped Uncle a great deal, another year for his 2 brothers dozing in the cellar before they try to do battle on the county. They may try to race on Black Tuesday, but lack the legs and lungs. Rather than compete, they mare retire to the realm of liqueur and leave beer world forever.

4.29/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Cowabunga! Great beer to share with teammates after a Mud Run (4-11). Super dark, super sweet, significant ABV but never guess 16+. One of my less experienced teammates commented it was like chewing on a beer. It is a mouthful no doubt. Chocolate, coffee, dark plum sweet? mix works well together. Grab a couple of these if you can and let a couple sit on the shelf. Share with others if a big beer is too much for you.

4.3/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

June 2013 bottle poured into a snifter.

Dark viscous liquid pours from the bottle and swirls into the snifter. The head on this is tremendous, only a finger and a half thick, but frothy and thick as a milk shake. It hardly dissipates with time, sitting triumphantly above the liquid. The dark khaki color resembles the foam of a cappuccino. 5

Jaysus. I fill immersed in a barrel of booze just smelling this. Oak, vanilla, spice and a dank tobacco aroma will punch you in your little sissy face with this. Caramel and chocolate play a distant second fiddle here. I can't help but me reminded of a chocolate shake with the aroma too, the more I search beyond the barrel properties. 4.25

I didn't expect anything less than an oaken, tobacco-heavy flavor and this brew pulls no punches. Bourbon flavors of spice and subtle solvent/booze offer some kick to the flavor. I wasn't expecting any coffee, as I don't recall that being a component of this beer and it didn't assert itself on the nose, but there's a definite dark roast coffee flavor that works well with the caramel and vanilla. Spicy hops hit at the finish. 4.25

Thick, creamy and low-carbonated, I'd classify this as syrupy for the most part. Thankfully the spice and slight booze keep it from being a cloying mess. The finish is roasty, sweet, and liqueur-like. 4.25

Quite a tasty beast. Like Tweak, this bears many similarities with Bourbon County and it's coffee variant, but again, it's the pricier version.

4.63/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

BCBS on steroids, or more whiskey. Almost too big too call beer. I might have to eat something before I finish 12oz of this.

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought a case from Shangy's in Emmaus Pennsylvania for $240 on March 10, 2015. Gave a bottle to Blane from Shangy's for spending two hours helping me. Finally tried it on March 22, 2015. Outstanding, but the high gravity, along with being just brewed, means it needs time to mellow out. One can tell that this beer will be to die for in a few years of aging.

So this is it. My 1000th beer on Beer Advocate. Not my 1000th beer in life but on this website for sure. Pretty amazing to have come this far in the world of beer. A quick rundown of important events that led me here:

I was young once (underage) and I drank 40s and Busch Light to get drunk. I turned 21 and got a job at a liquor store (Spec's). I befriended the head of the beer department, he taught me everything he knew about beer, he moved away, I became head of the beer department. I became friends with one of our beer sales reps and he gave me my first "alternative" beer. It was the Belgian beer Delirium Nocturnum. I was hooked! I became a Craft and Belgian beer salesman after that. A buddy gave me a homebrew kit for my 23rd birthday. I dabbled with brewing until it wrapped its loving arms around me and I got hooked. I've been brewing at least twice a month for some 6 years now. I volunteer at Thirsty Planet Brewing and me and my gal Amanda (my Corndog) are moving to Portland in 4 weeks so that I can pursue my passion for brewing professionally and hopefully one day start my own brewery.

Now for the review:

Pours black as ever, no light shines thru, a little bit of dark brown bubbles hanging out on top. The nose is milk chocolate, vanilla, bourbon in the background, caramel, just intense. Chocolate is the biggest player in the aroma. The taste....big sticky chocolate, bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate chip cookie, brown sugar with an accent of salt, very rich. Getting a little bit of alcohol burn in the finish but I'm surprised its masked so well. Its like 17%!!! Big ass body. Redonkulous.

Glad I could make this my 1000th beer on this great site. I have been a fan of Avery since I knew what craft beer was and they never disappoint. Cheers everyone and happy brewing/drinking!!!

4.54/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a snifter glass. Served around 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Look - I hate this category. It looks like a stout should look, black with a small tan head.

Smell - Smells like molasses, chocolate and a hint of bourbon. I dock it some points because the sweetness of the smell made me worry about what the taste would be like.

Taste - I shouldn't have worried because this is awesome. Starts with a mix of chocolate and molasses. One of the few stouts that you can taste a little malt in. No bitterness to speak of except for a slight burn as the last taste in your mouth (before you quickly take another sip). the bourbon is mild compared to many BA offerings I have tried but it blends with the flavors magnificently and cuts through the sweetness just enough. Outstanding.

Feel - Creamy with a slight carbonation. 9/10 on the thickness scale. But easy to down quickly, although not ideal.

Overall - Excellent beer. Nobody does a huge Stout better than Avery and this proves it yet again.

4.92/5  rDev +12.6%

A: pitch black with a beautiful tan head.

S: bourbon, molasses, oak, vanilla and caramel.

T: huge! Bourbon and vanilla dominate with a nice backup of molasses, toffee, caramel, oak and chocolate.

M: big bodied and well carbonated.

O: this is one fantastic BA stout. Probably my favorite BA stout to date. Wish it wasn't so expensive and more readily available. Would love a bottle to age. Absolutely wonderful experience.

4.81/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Incredible beer. Pitch black with a khaki lace-leaving head. Smell is out of this world. Chocolate, bourbon, dark fruits. Taste lives up to the hype of the smell. Perfect mouthfeel. One of the better beers I have ever had.

4.39/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle of Batch 1, bottled March 27, 2012. Given to me as a gift from my little brother. Poured into a Surly Darkness goblet today, March 19, 2014. So approximately two years of age. I've had small pours of the fresh versions a few months ago, and will be taking that into consideration.

App- Pitch black, oily, viscous and with a LOT of legs. Even with a vertical pour, it comes with a minimal half finger mocha head with minimal retention. No lacing. A very placid stout, but again, one with a lot of legs.

Smell- Very sweet. Chocolate fudge, oak, sweet bourbon, brown sugar, molasses, caramel. Similar to Bourbon County Stout.

Flavour- Reminds me a lot of the 2009 Bourbon County Brand Stout I had just two weeks ago. Very sweet still, perhaps sweeter than BCBS. Thick chocolate fudge, sweet bourbon, a lot of barrel vanilla and oak. Molasses. The intense fudginess that makes this a sipper. No indication of oxidation or off flavours at all, which is surprising in a 2-year old cellared stout.

Mouthfeel- Thick bodied, on the verge of syrupy. Just enough carbonation. Drinks even thicker than BCBS. Heat is not apparent when cold, but as the beer warms up, there is a burning hot finish as it goes down, as expected for a high gravity stout like this.

Overall- Very good BA stout that's very welcome on a March day where winter just won't go away.. and well, I'm hoping that I am able to move to Colorado in a few months, so it's one of Colorado's finest for tonight! It's up there in the BCBS territory in terms of quality, only it costs 3x as much as a single bottle of BCBS and is a lot harder to get in comparison to the distribution BCBS gets. So while I enjoyed this, I wouldn't go out of my way to get this when I can stock up on BCBS. Regardless, my conclusion is that Batch 1 at 2 years is drinking very well right now. Essentially covers the middle ground between BCBS and Black Tuesday in my opinion.

4.99/5  rDev +14.2%

There's a reason this is one of the top 250 beers on BA. 2013 vintage consumed while in line for Out of the Emptiness by Tied Hands. The best stout I've had from Avery. Super think, chewy, chocolate, barrel, toffee deliciousness. Paid a pretty penny for it, but it was worth the labor to purchase it. Unreal!

4.47/5  rDev +2.3%

are you kidding me? a beer could not be any bigger! new one from avery. pours espresso colored with a short espresso colored head that fades right out. looks like the consistency of black tar. smells less like coffee, but its still present, ground fresh and strong. like a woody liquor, oak for sure in the nose, with robust booze, tobacco, and black licorice notes, even a whack of fresh coconut, runny warm caramel, and sludgy espresso. the alcoholic burn in the nose more or less gives away the huge abv. the flavor though is less straight booze. very sweet, i taste the bourbon now, a very alive concoction. other flavors introduce themselves one by one... first is toffee sweetness, melting into a marshmallowy alcoholic thing, which is followed by a cigar-like fresh tobacco stickiness. feel is epic too, straight woody spirits leave a deep burn. the almost nonexistant carbonation and syrupy heavy body make it last on the teeth, almost unpleasantly in a raw sugary way. so so smooth though it demands high ratings. foaming in the mouth and ever larger, meliora! overall a pretty absurd beer from the most inconsistent brewery in the country. its one of the most massive beers of all time as far as im concerned. thanks beer gods for this masterpiece!

Awesome beer rivals Bourbon County Stout!

4.38/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%