Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Uncle Jacob's Stout - Avery Brewing Company

Uncle Jacob's StoutUncle Jacob's Stout

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  16.90% ABV

Beer added by: emmasdad on 04-08-2012

In the quest to create a collection of barrel-aged beers to be reproduced annually, Avery Brewing Company is releasing Uncle Jacob’s Stout, the second member of its Annual Barrel Series. The collection began with Rumpkin rum barrel-aged pumpkin ale in the fall of 2011, and now continues with this 17.4% ABV stout that was aged in first-use Bourbon barrels for 6 months. While the Avery Barrel-Aged Series features one-time-only batches, such as the recent Muscat d’Amour and Récolte Sauvage, the Annual Barrel Series features a selection of cellarable barrel-aged beers that fans can return to and get to know every year.
Reviews: 274 | Hads: 1,997

appearance: Deep dark brown. A little reddish gown hints around the edges when held to light. Impressive mocha head especially for a monster of a stout.
smell: A decadent bourbon, dark chocolate, malt, and dart fruit dessert.
taste: and all of the promise of the nose is delivered.
overall: This ain't nuthin but good. Rich, bad-ass, transcendent. Holy shit. Fwiw, alcohol is there but amazingly well masked for such a beast.
I realize there are some that argue all 5's are impossible. This beer for me could not get any better. Nothing should be added or taken away imo and so I have to got with perfect.

So this is it. My 1000th beer on Beer Advocate. Not my 1000th beer in life but on this website for sure. Pretty amazing to have come this far in the world of beer. A quick rundown of important events that led me here:

I was young once (underage) and I drank 40s and Busch Light to get drunk. I turned 21 and got a job at a liquor store (Spec's). I befriended the head of the beer department, he taught me everything he knew about beer, he moved away, I became head of the beer department. I became friends with one of our beer sales reps and he gave me my first "alternative" beer. It was the Belgian beer Delirium Nocturnum. I was hooked! I became a Craft and Belgian beer salesman after that. A buddy gave me a homebrew kit for my 23rd birthday. I dabbled with brewing until it wrapped its loving arms around me and I got hooked. I've been brewing at least twice a month for some 6 years now. I volunteer at Thirsty Planet Brewing and me and my gal Amanda (my Corndog) are moving to Portland in 4 weeks so that I can pursue my passion for brewing professionally and hopefully one day start my own brewery.

Now for the review:

Pours black as ever, no light shines thru, a little bit of dark brown bubbles hanging out on top. The nose is milk chocolate, vanilla, bourbon in the background, caramel, just intense. Chocolate is the biggest player in the aroma. The taste....big sticky chocolate, bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate chip cookie, brown sugar with an accent of salt, very rich. Getting a little bit of alcohol burn in the finish but I'm surprised its masked so well. Its like 17%!!! Big ass body. Redonkulous.

Glad I could make this my 1000th beer on this great site. I have been a fan of Avery since I knew what craft beer was and they never disappoint. Cheers everyone and happy brewing/drinking!!!

bottled 2/4/2014
12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

S: wow! this smells amazing! i get a fair amount of bourbon, and oak upfront, but not in an overpowering way. roasted malt, dark chocolate, dark fruits, coffee. simply incredible.

A: great appearance. pours jet black like motor oil, good head for such a high alcohol beer. deep tan.

T: this is delicious! soft bourbon, oak, vanilla followed up dark chocolate, coffee and dark fruits. no taste of the alcohol. dark chocolate lingers on the palate after each sip

M: thick and creamy! just like a barrel aged stout should be.

O: this is incredible! this is now one of my favorite beers! its a shame its $15 for 12 oz. the price is the only flaw!

Had this beer the day it was released, and had it again today. Simply flawless. The bourbon is there, but not over-powering. It's a super fine stout with just the right amount of bourbon barrel. The thing that stands out to me is a sweetness in the taste that especially emerges over time. Reminiscent of Rumpkin (another fine beer from Avery) with that sweetness, though not as sweet as Rumpkin. Creamy and full mouthfeel.

AMAZING! Hands down one of the best beers I have had in my existence on this planet. Bourbon has done this stout well...lowering the ABV from previous batches was a very good call. I can't get enough of these! Avery is always exceeding expectations.

Had this on tap at Avery Brewery in Boulder and can't imagine a more rich and flavorful stout. On par and perhaps better than Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

4.99/5  rDev +14.2%

Totally subjective, totally biased, totally going against a fair rating, but as far as I'm concerned, this is my favorite, and therefore the best, beer. First of all, I only tried it because I'm an Uncle Jacob myself, and even if it was $12 for a taster at Snallygaster beer festival, how could I not?? Met my expectations, hopes, dreams, and more! Even my girlfriend who is normally content with Miller Lite liked it (too much, actually. It's expensive and I'll be damned if I'm sharing any!).

But seriously, if you are willing to pony up big cash, then a million scent and flavor spirits will inhabit your body and feast upon your soul. Best was to describe it is a barrel-aged, Belgian quad-style imperial stout. It's got smoke, cocoa, chocolate, oak, stone fruit, spices, sweet, bitter, it's rich, thick, boozy but less than it's ABV would suggest. It's everything a megabeer should be. I'll add more description the next time I have some, if I can get off the floor long enough.

4.99/5  rDev +14.2%

There's a reason this is one of the top 250 beers on BA. 2013 vintage consumed while in line for Out of the Emptiness by Tied Hands. The best stout I've had from Avery. Super think, chewy, chocolate, barrel, toffee deliciousness. Paid a pretty penny for it, but it was worth the labor to purchase it. Unreal!

4.98/5  rDev +14%

Dated 2/13/2015. Poured and enjoyed on 3/20/2015.
No overpowering aromas but the bourbon is the most detectable, followed by some coffee and a little more chocolate. Very dark brown in color and oh so thick like oil; you can see the viscosity! Even after a somewhat aggressive pour not much in the way of a head with spotty bits of bubbles make up the lacing. Flavor is so smooth and complex. Getting some bourbon, vanilla, wood, sweet chocolate, and coffee. So vicious and velvety, coats the palate extremely well and goes down way to easily for 16.9%. There is an evident burn from the alcohol but its to be expected. Probably one of my favorite bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts I’ve enjoyed to date. So awesome; go and treat yourself to one!

4.98/5  rDev +14%

This is hands down one of my absolute favorite beers. I have purchased several over the course of a few months, (2013 batch) and I have shared a few of them with my friends. I have a few stashed aside for aging, and I plan on doing some side by side comparisons as future batches are released.

Appearance: Deep dark black with a nice tan head that leaves a beautiful oily coat on the glass.

Aroma: Slightly boozy from the bourbon, chocolate, and dark fruits (dates/plums).

Taste: Toffee, dark fruits, bourbon (light), chocolate creme.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth and full bodied.

Overall: This is a beast of a beer. At a 16.53% it goes down more like an 8%. I highly encourage that you split a bottle with a friend if you open it. It is always better to share, and you won't have to try to get the license plate of the truck that ran you over if you drink it alone. The quest has begun to get a few bottles of 2012. Cheers!

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

served from a twelve ounce bottle

a- Used motor oil black, highly viscous with a small brown skim for head

s-Tons of bourbon barrel notes, vanilla, coconut, molasses and oak dominate

t- I can't believe how well the ultra high abv is hidden. Vanilla, oak, bourbon, molasses, smokey chocolate and a subtle cherry sweetness. Delicate yet assertive. Beautiful.

m-creamy and viscous with the perfect amount of co2 to keep it lively

o- I bought three, I wish I bought a case. This is in the same league as the greats. Avery hit a homerun with this one. world class

4.94/5  rDev +13%

I'm writing this as I try Uncle Jacob's for the first time. It has been stored in my 41*F fridge for four months now.

Poured from a 12oz bottle dated Feb 13, 2015 into a snifter. The pour is a semi-translucent brown, not nearly as dark or thick as some stouts, with a subtle tan head that quickly disappears. Once in the snifter it sits black with a tan ring around the edge of the glass.

The scent is predominantly chocolate, maybe a bit of licorice or bourbon overtone.

The taste is delicious. A very balanced stout base blended with chocolate and a subtle bit of bourbon. It tastes thick and smooth, but doesn't coat the tongue, then tapers slowly into a malty roasted chocolate finish. The booze in this 16.9% beer is hidden really well. A Mephistopheles or Pump[Ky]n needs time to mature but the flavor in Uncle Jacob's seems refined immediately.

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Dark chocolate up front followed by a dominating molasses sweetness. A touch of oak and quite a bit of bright bourbon are present as well. However, one of the few bourbon barrel stouts that Is better cold, in my opinion. Alcohol is well hidden.

4.92/5  rDev +12.6%

A: pitch black with a beautiful tan head.

S: bourbon, molasses, oak, vanilla and caramel.

T: huge! Bourbon and vanilla dominate with a nice backup of molasses, toffee, caramel, oak and chocolate.

M: big bodied and well carbonated.

O: this is one fantastic BA stout. Probably my favorite BA stout to date. Wish it wasn't so expensive and more readily available. Would love a bottle to age. Absolutely wonderful experience.

4.92/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Deep, dark black with a dark brown head. Super carbonation especially for the amount of alcohol!

Aroma: Coffee, vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, caramel.

Taste: Nutty, buttery, bourbon, wood, vanilla, caramel, toffee, alcohol!

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth. thick creamy, full bodied.

Overall: This is a superb beer now and can only get better with time! Glad I have 3 more aging!

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Thanks be to Blindpiggie for this one... The new 2013 release of Uncle Jacob's is a stout that transcends the taste buds, and takes them on a journey to the beer drinkers equivalent of Valhalla. It possesses the caramel qualities of a BCBS and Parabola, while also hinting at the chocolate dreaminess of Odells' Lugene. As Avery is prone to do (Mome), the high ABV is balanced out with an elegant sweetness that can really only be matched by the artisans at Goose Island.The barrel is incorporated in a way that is, well, completely sublime. My strongest recommendation on this one...it is the perfect Bourbon-Barrel aged stout.
Edit june 2014...The last release of Uncle Jacob's was extremely underwhelming. It lacked the complexity of past vintages, and was just ok.

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured into a Duvel snifter glass.

A - 5 - Pours a viscous oily jet black color. Forms a nice finger of extremely dark tan colored head. Medium head potential, medium head retention. Nice solid retention.
S - 5 - Alcoholic dark fruit, huge bourbon notes, roasted malts and roasted coffee beans, medium sweet chocolate and lots of booze.
T - 4.75 - Wow. Take your time with this one. Super sweet malts, tons of bourbon, chocolate and coffee. Ends on a lightly bitter coffee finish.
F - 5 - Extremely thick and viscous creamy mouthfeel.
O - 5 - An amazing and ideal representation of the BA imperial stout style. Highly recommend getting a few and holding em for the right occasion. Very boozy and warming, drink on a cold day!

4.89/5  rDev +11.9%

For all these babies on here who say its to hard to drink its "un drinkable" stick to your sours then. Cause this beer is for big boys only. It gets better as it warms up and that nice lil burn at the end is what most bourbon drinkers saught after like myself. Avery did a amazing job again and never lets ya down. Go find this beer and drink it!!!

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I had this beer on tap at The Beer Trappe in Lexington, KY. It was poured into a 4 oz. snifter.

Appearance is a viscous opaque black oil, with a mocha head that dissipated quickly.

The aroma is of a dark chocolate coffee, followed by the fruity scent of cherries and raisins. Underlying the fruit is a subtle meaty aroma of peppered maple bacon.

The taste is immediately chocolate coffee followed by the sweet (but not cloying) flavor of dark fruits. There is a slightly peppery but not bitter finish. The bourbon is there, but the scary aspect of this beer is that it hides the 17.4 ABV so well. No burn at all.

The body is just how it looks: a pleasantly thick coating of the tongue and mouth that is immensely satisfying.

Overall, this is one of the best bourbon barrel stouts. Don't pass up a chance to try this beer. It is really well put together and drinkable.

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a thick, creamy, pitch black with a three finger mocha brown head that lasts for ages. The smell is more than favorable. Chocolate, hazelnut, mocha, coffee, vanilla, mild bourbon, but no heat on the nose, which is strange for the ridiculously high abv. More of the bourbon comes through on the taste, and the alcohol is present but not overwhelming. It has a burnt chocolate presence and an insanely thick mouthfeel. One of the best bourbon barrel aged stouts I've tasted.

4.84/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely phenomenal BBA stout. Very reminiscent of bourbon county. I'd love to see this one with a year or two on it. But still drinks wonderfully fresh... I have no clue how that 17% is covered up so perfectly. Well done.

4.82/5  rDev +10.3%

Couldn't resist and cracked a bottle from the cellar, after only a couple weeks, lol. I have heard great things so figured I'd try one. Poured from bottle to a NBB globe the beer pours a deep rich opaque black, thick, 1 finger head with solid retention and some lacing. Looks good. The aroma is rich and complex with roasted malts, oak, chocolate, and an alcohol warmth. The flavor builds from the nose with a rich flavor. Begins with a strong coffee and chocolate flavor up front. The roast enters and blends well providing a nice base layer. Hints of dark fruit, oak, and bourbon as well. Very good. Extremely smooth and hides the high abv very well. Finishes creamy with a lingering chocolate roast on the tongue. Very very good. Full bodied and well carbonated. Overall, this beer is fantastic. I can't wait to see how it ages. Highly recommended.

4.82/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From a 355 ml bottle (review is based primarily on a bottle dated June 27, 2013, but I also had a 2012 bottle) into a snifter. Reviewed from notes date November 25, 2013.

A-The short walnut-colored head drops quickly into a collar. The head leaves some oily legs on the glass. The brew is opaque and espresso brown...almost black. Pretty standard stuff.

S-The aroma is an ultra rich mixture of dark and milk chocolate, cream, molasses, vanilla, and caramel. There is a slight twang of boozy heat, but it fits well with the brew and compliments the caramel and vanilla smell. Really inviting.

T-The taste is similar to the smell. I get dark chocolate mousse, cocoa, vanilla, bourbon-y, boozy caramel and brown sugar, and some graham cracker. The alcohol is not completely buried, but for nearly 18%, the heat is moderate.

M-The feel is thick, almost chewy, and dense. Carbonation is below average.

O-This is close to my favorite beer ever and easily my favorite stout (or imperial stout). It is complex, big, decadent, rich, but never harsh or overblown. The beer literally oozes flavor and character. I was particularly surprised by how little the 2012 had changed compared to the 2013; they were nearly identical in flavor and feel, which suggests both that this beer is great fresh and will hold up for a while. I could just sit and sip on this for hours.

4.81/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

A truly outstanding example of a bourbon barrel aged stout. It's as thick and viscous as it looks.. which is ominous. Rich vanilla, blackstrap molasses, semi sweet chocolate, dark cherry, raisins, figs, smooth smooth smooth bourbon. Big bodied, velvety, smooth, rich and creamy. Excellent all the way around. 16.9% ABV? Says who? Oh..yeah.

4.81/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Incredible beer. Pitch black with a khaki lace-leaving head. Smell is out of this world. Chocolate, bourbon, dark fruits. Taste lives up to the hype of the smell. Perfect mouthfeel. One of the better beers I have ever had.

Uncle Jacob's Stout from Avery Brewing Company