Uncle Jacob's Stout - Avery Brewing Company

Uncle Jacob's StoutUncle Jacob's Stout

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.83% ABV

In the quest to create a collection of barrel-aged beers to be reproduced annually, Avery Brewing Company is releasing Uncle Jacob’s Stout, the second member of its Annual Barrel Series. The collection began with Rumpkin rum barrel-aged pumpkin ale in the fall of 2011, and now continues with this 17.4% ABV stout that was aged in first-use Bourbon barrels for 6 months. While the Avery Barrel-Aged Series features one-time-only batches, such as the recent Muscat d’Amour and Récolte Sauvage, the Annual Barrel Series features a selection of cellarable barrel-aged beers that fans can return to and get to know every year.

(Beer added by: emmasdad on 04-08-2012)

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Pours black as night with a thin rim of dissipating tan head. Spotty lacing.

The nose is beastly and incredible. Chocolate, caramel, tannin, bourbon and oak are inviting me in so nicely. Smooth and sweet. Lovely.

The flavors are following the nose closely. 17.42%? No way. Dangerously drinkable. Notes of fudge, bakers chocolate, wood, bourbon and some dark fruits. A true dessert beer that tickles the tastebuds. Sweet, buttery, bourbony gloriousness.

The mouthfeel is thick and viscous, coating the palate with sticky and sweet beauty.

Overall, awesomeness. If u get a chance, drink it or be sorry.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%

I bought a single back in July and saved it until Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, I was sick on Thanksgiving, so I popped it tonight for MNF. Man, this is an incredible beer.

Nothing too crazy about the look. Typical stout look...pours black with a big dark brown head that fades to a ring and leaves little to no lacing on my Chimay goblet.

For such a boozy beer, I was impressed that I was not overwhelmed with bourbon/alcohol on the first scent. The nose starts with a good dash of cocoa and chocolate and a bit of licorace. As it warmed, there was a bit of vanilla and toffee along with some dark fruits.

Man, the taste is much better than I expected based on the scent. I get a lot of vanilla, chocolate, roasted toffee, and dark fruits. The flavors are mesh together perfectly. So tasty, gets so much better as it warms. This one is uber thick and chewy with a huge creamy finish to boot. I've never had a big beer taste this smooth before. Perfect.

It ticks me off that I did not buy a few more of these back when I had the chance over the summer. I'd love to try another in a year or so. This one is easily one of my top 20 beers.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

From 11/21/12 notes. Picked this up a month or so ago at Top Hops in NYC. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Chimay chalice; split with my brother. Bottled 03/27/12.

a - Pours a jet black color with two inches of dark tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for a minute or so. Looks awesome.

s - Smells of bourbon, sweet chocolate, toffee, vanilla, dark chocolate, toasted malts, oak, and burnt malts. Nose is pretty amazing; just a ton of sweet (good) bourbon, vanilla, and chocolate. Huge fan of this so far.

t - Tastes of bourbon, sweet chocolate, oak, toffee, vanilla, caramel malts, cream, burnt malts, toasted malts, bread, dark fruits, and alcohol. Taste follows the nose pretty closely but has a little more alcohol to it in my opinion. You can definitely taste some heat from the bourbon barrels but I like it. Very small step down from the nose.

m - Full bodied stout with low to moderate carbonation; the body is thick and chewy. Very good mouthfeel for a big stout; some heat but does not feel over 17% ABV at all.

o - Overall I loved this one; I was blown away with how great it was. It looks great and has a great mouthfeel for a big stout, and the nose and taste are a fantastic mix of bourbon, chocolate, and vanilla. It is definitely a hot beer, but if you like bourbon-forward hot beers as long as it still tastes good and mixes well with other flavors than this would be right up your alley. With a little time on it in the cellar this could become even better, but IMO it's great now. Definitely going to be looking to get more bottle of this soon.

3.75/5  rDev -15%

3.7/5  rDev -16.1%

12oz bottle into a matching Avery tulip pint glass. A very rough pour down the middle of the glass yields a thick black solution with less than a finger of brown head atop. The cap fades and holds to a thin film atop supported by some rising bubbles of carbonation. Faintly around the edge of the glass can you see a bit of brown clarity. When swirled, some fingers of fine lace stick to the glass.

The aroma has some rich malt sweetness reminiscent of cocoa blended with just a hint of leather, tobacco and soy. More smells bring out a focus on alcohol esters with raisins and plums being quite evident. The barrel presence is really felt here with vanilla, coconut and caramel. Collectively, the aromatics here point to this being a sweet brew but there are hints of alcohol that burn the nose when too deep of a whiff is taken.

The taste is somewhat sweet as expected with a rich maltiness tasting of something along the lines of creme brulee. Toasted coconut, vanilla and caramel are felt from the barrel aging with a touch of oxidation that comes off mildy like cardboard that fades towards the backend. Alcohol flavors mix with the malt to create a sense of raisins or prunes mid-palate mixing with leather, tobacco and a hint of bitter coffee.

This is a medium to fuller bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is rich and complex but becomes quite numbing across the tongue in a hurry. While colder than ideal, there is quite a bit of enjoyable character to take in. However, as it warms up it really becomes a bugger to put down (like some other big series Avery brews.) There is quite a bit of oxidation evident in this already and while all signs point to aging this, I dont know how I would feel with more oxidative quality present. I liked this and would drink it again but probably opt-in for only a couple of ounces.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Decided to splurge and lay down $25 for this at Cheeky Monk in Westminster. Frankly, I'm glad I did. Pours out a gigantic abyss (small "a") like darkness, trudgingly sludgly, with a solid 1" of brown head on it. I think I looked at this for a few minutes, just admiring how something so huge could look so nice, but the head quickly disappeared.

Aroma was heavy, bourbon wasn't as present as the massive alcohol. Chocolate malt, roastiness followed behind from there. Taste got a little more complex, alcohol was still massive, but subdued enough to be enjoyable. Thankfully, any component from the Rumpkin barrel wasn't obvious to my palate. I'm not a fan of that. The bourbon made this quite a slow sipper, I think it took about 1.5 hours for me to finish all 12 oz of this beer. A little bit of licorice can be found amidst the dark chocolate malt aspect. Very similar to Black Tuesday, a little bit of vanilla, oak, leather, but not as sweet and drinkable. Tons of two row give this beer a thick body the likes of a Marshall Zhukov. I liked the carbonation on it, just right. I wasn't the biggest fan of the dark fruit aspect or mild bitterness it contributed.

Overall, I wouldn't pay anywhere near $25 again, but I was glad I did, it was my second to last beer of the Denver trip, and who knows, I wasn't going to come across a bottle of this again. I think $10 a pop is a fair price if I was at a bottle shop for this.

Uncle Jacob's Stout from Avery Brewing Company