1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Momi Hiwa - Avery Brewing Company

Momi HiwaMomi Hiwa

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Baltic Porter |  17.09% ABV

(Beer added by: MinorThreat on 06-10-2013)
Reviews by dbc5:
4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle poured into DFH glass.

A: Pours a deep brown with just a bit of light penetrating the edges of the glass. Pour appeared just a bit thinner than I would expect from a 17% beer; I need to remind myself this is a porter rather than a stout. An off-white head briefly presents itself, then disappears. No lacing to speak of, but definite alcohol legs.

S: Smell is sublime. Sweet chocolate, brown sugar, coconut, vanilla, cream. The rum is there and well integrated, not dominating the nose at all. This smells absolutely superb.

T: The aroma set my expectations very high and this one did not disappoint. I must preface this by saying I am a big fan of sweet beers. I've put down bottles of Black Tuesday, Dark Lord, and even Creme Brulee on my own without issue. In fact, part of the draw for me with this beer was the brewers description of it as a port-like dessert beer. That is exactly what I am getting from it, although I must admit that I find it surprisingly drinkable relative to some of the beers I previously mentioned. The coconut lends an incredible creaminess to the base porter which is ripe with chocolate, vanilla, and dark fruits. The rum works exceptionally well with the coconut contribution. One of the more interesting and enjoyable bottles of beer I've opened recently.

M: Slick and creamy. The mouthfeel is interesting in that it comes across as fairly thick from all of the residual sugars, yet it doesn't seem chewy like some of the other beers of this size. Minimal to moderate carbonation.

O: I am loving this beer. I made a pretrade to acquire 4 bottles and my only regret is not working a deal for more. This stuff is fantastic and comes highly recommended by me (for whatever that is worth).

dbc5, Jun 16, 2013

Sammy, Oct 06, 2013
3.81/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

bottle pour @ highland tap and burger, #3 in the barrel aged bike tour

Another massive, decadent brew from Avery - unfortunately, I found the coconut to be a bit cloying and we all agreed this was our least favorite of the 5 barrel aged beers on the day (still not a bad thing). Coconut, maple syrup, brown sugar, milk chocolate, rum. A sweet dessert beer, but a bit too sweet for me

dirtylou, Oct 16, 2013

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

VeganUndead, Mar 03, 2014

mdillon86, Jun 24, 2013
3.78/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I started off the beer cellar in my new house with this bad-boy (purchased mid-June 2013). After a day of spring cleaning, I deserve a treat!

A - Dark and syrupy with small coconut "floaties" . Has the same color and clarity as grade-b (dark) pure maple syrup. No apparent carbonation

S - Burnt sugar, maple syrup, raisins, prunes, residual sweetness, slight spice (nutmeg/cinnamon), and a little booze. I don't detect any rum-specifc qualities to the nose, but it certainly has a barrel aged characteristic to it.

T - Barrel characteristics and sweetness (almost cloying sweetness) dominate the palate. Caramel, burnt sugar, molasses flavors, dried figs, raisins, prunes. I don't get any specific coconut flavor but there is a slight "nuttiness" about it. It reminds me of the caramel sauce that is served with flan. Given that this is 17% (!!!), I'm amazed it doesn't have a more boozy flavor.

M - Viscous. Like drinking maple syrup.

O - I like this, really I do, but it's extremely sweet - honestly too much for me. It reminds me of Avery's Rumpin but with even more sweetness. Best shared with a few friends.

Spattastic, Mar 24, 2014