Momi Hiwa - Avery Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 199 | Reviews: 28
Reviews by potbeercollege:
2.95/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with gold foiled-over branded Avery pry-off pressure cap and appealing label art acquired at a Colorado bottle shop and served into an Avery stem-tulip in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given its current 92 rating as well as the description - a barrel aged coconut porter? Count me in! Bottled June 04 2013. 17.09% ABV. Production: 283 cases. There's zero indication on the label (or on Avery's website or in news articles on the release of this beer) that this is a baltic porter, so I'm reviewing as an imperial porter since it's high ABV and the label calls it a porter (and an ale).

Served chilled and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of pale khaki colour. It's disappointingly thin and recedes to a floating ring within 15 seconds. The ring lingers a bit longer, but ultimately head retention is quite poor - though this is excusable at this high an ABV. No lacing sticks to the sides of the glass, even when I tilt it.

Body colour is a very dark brown-black; opaque. I'd prefer a more solid jet-black. Clean; no floating yeast particles/sediment is visible. There are no egregious flaws here, but it's far from unique or special for the style. I'm really looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Coconut, dark malts, rum, sugarcane, wood barrel, raisin, a light booziness, fermented fruit, red grape, unrefined/turbinado sugars, and heavy malts I'd associate more with an English barleywine than a porter. The yeast character is hard to ascertain; I'd say the aroma suggests an English character and it's definitely an ale. A sticky and sweet aroma but nevertheless a pleasant one. I'd hoped for some toasty and/or roasty character, but I'm not getting that from the aroma.

No hop profile is detectable. The alcohol is surprisingly tame given the ABV; I'd guess this was 13% at most based on the aroma. There are no off-notes.

An inviting if intimidating aroma of average strength.

T: Sweet sticky rum and sugarcane notes overwhelm the coconut - which doesn't seem to possess any toasted character at all. There's lots of sticky fruit - raisins, grapes, maybe even plum. Coconut is a tough note to incorporate because actual genuine coconut has a very timid flavour (as opposed to coconut extract). Unfortunately, Avery didn't quite figure out how to integrate it well.

Burnt sugars. A kiss of char. Some sherry/brandy touches. Prunes. Some fig. Port wine.

I get plenty of dark English malt character in the foundation, but I'm not finding the chocolate/chocolate malts promised by the label's description. Also, any wood or barrel notes (aside from the boozy rum) are too buried to be noticeable, to the beer's detriment. Certainly on the sweeter side.

As it warms, I pick up marshmallow and a very faint toasty quality.

There's plenty of complexity here, but not as much as you'd expect. Lacks subtlety and intricacy. The rum and coconut do lend it some needed nuance, but this is far from a unique or special flavour profile. Rum and coconut have both been better executed elsewhere (the former by this same brewery). This profile feels a bit messy and certainly lacks balance. The build has a loose cohesion but isn't gestalt. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. Overall, I think this is a case where the execution just doesn't deliver on the premise.

No hop or yeast character comes through. I do think the alcohol is very well disguised, as I'd guess this was maybe 11% if I had it blind. Astounding.

There are no off flavours.

Mf: Sticky, chewy, thick, smooth, and wet. That said, as it warms it becomes more dry and chalky - to its detriment.

Well-carbonated. Syrupy. The viscosity is a bit off-putting, and makes me fear this will really decline with age. The texture doesn't accentuate the flavours of the taste particularly well, and isn't ideal for an imperial porter. Execution could be better. Luckily, the booziness is tame.

Not oily, astringent, gushed, or harsh.

Dr: It does hide its ABV pretty well and in that sense it's quite drinkable even though it's obviously a sipper.

This is the kind of flavour profile that could become a nightmare with age. Drink this now if you have one. I hoped and expected to be blown away, but this is far from Avery's finest work. I'm pretty disappointed. It doesn't deliver on the premise and frankly I wouldn't buy it again if I saw it on shelves tomorrow. Not worth trading for. I wouldn't recommend it to friends. I love what they were after but this just isn't up to par. Definitely a dessert beer. It'll be difficult to finish all 12 ounces, but I'll manage - much to my dentist's chagrin.

C

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

bottle pour @ highland tap and burger, #3 in the barrel aged bike tour

Another massive, decadent brew from Avery - unfortunately, I found the coconut to be a bit cloying and we all agreed this was our least favorite of the 5 barrel aged beers on the day (still not a bad thing). Coconut, maple syrup, brown sugar, milk chocolate, rum. A sweet dessert beer, but a bit too sweet for me

3.42/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Murky deep brown. Pushing black. No real head. Some floaties.

Smell - Yeesh, lots of rum. Boozy. A ton of coconut. Brown sugar. Some light oxidation.

Taste - Very sweet. Lots of coconut. Brown sugar and rum. The slightest hint of chocolate malt. Slight oxidation.

Mouthfeel - Extremely boozy. Medium low carbonation, heavy body.

Overall - Intensely sweet, which isn't my thing.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I started off the beer cellar in my new house with this bad-boy (purchased mid-June 2013). After a day of spring cleaning, I deserve a treat!

A - Dark and syrupy with small coconut "floaties" . Has the same color and clarity as grade-b (dark) pure maple syrup. No apparent carbonation

S - Burnt sugar, maple syrup, raisins, prunes, residual sweetness, slight spice (nutmeg/cinnamon), and a little booze. I don't detect any rum-specifc qualities to the nose, but it certainly has a barrel aged characteristic to it.

T - Barrel characteristics and sweetness (almost cloying sweetness) dominate the palate. Caramel, burnt sugar, molasses flavors, dried figs, raisins, prunes. I don't get any specific coconut flavor but there is a slight "nuttiness" about it. It reminds me of the caramel sauce that is served with flan. Given that this is 17% (!!!), I'm amazed it doesn't have a more boozy flavor.

M - Viscous. Like drinking maple syrup.

O - I like this, really I do, but it's extremely sweet - honestly too much for me. It reminds me of Avery's Rumpin but with even more sweetness. Best shared with a few friends.

4.66/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Snagged a cold bottle at the release served in the parking lot in the back of a dodge ram truck poured into 8oz mason jars (necessity is the mother of all invention)

A-murky dark brownish black with no head or retention

S- oh dear god. Coconut, sweet chocolate, roasted sugar cane, dark rum, vanilla and lust.

T- Sweet coconut, chocolate with vanilla, bakers chocolate and no booze. Lingering hints of rum tie the whole thing together. I heard it called a liquid mounds bar and I have to agree. Christ its good

M- lush creamy and perfect

O- The best Avery beer I've had, just slightly above Tweak in my books, and one of my top four stout/porters. Absolutely incredible.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

this is fantastic! i think im actually enjoying this better that bcbs prop! maybe if i had it side by side id notice a quality difference but going from memory this one goes down much better and intergrates the coconut seemlessly. if you cant get prop track this down!

3.47/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Funny long story about this. But long story short, I have about 1 ounce of this beer at room temperature in my snifter. Goin for a review.
Pours up dark mahogany with no head. Nose is sugar and heat from the booze. Subtle molasses, plums, tobacco. Taste is super sweet, candy sugar, toffee, hint of rum, no apparent coconut flavor. Medium bodied, light carbo. Intense brew

4.69/5  rDev +13%

Appearance: Dark brown/black. Pretty much no head when poured into a goblet. Small bits of coconut still floating around. Looks incredible.

Smell: You can definitely smell some alcohol on the initial whiff, followed by some strong coconut and light chocolate/vanilla notes.

Taste: Similar to the smell, however, you taste absolutely none of the alcohol. Incredible for a beer with such a high ABV. You get no sensation of alcohol in your mouth or throat, but a definite warm sensation in your chest. Tastes like roasted coconut and chocolate. Have never tasted a beer quite like this.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly creamy and smooth. Medium-light carbonation. The texture of this beer is absolutely mind-blowing.

Overall: The best way I can sum this beer up is like drinking a melted Almond Joy that has an ABV of 17.1%. If you can manage to get your hands on one of these, do it!

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a duvel tulip

Pours dark brown with a small tan head that quickly dissapates into a small ring of occasional bubbles, no lacing. Looks like I have some coconut floaters as a bonus. Pretty dark for a "porter", ha!
Smells like a highly alcoholic mounds bar. Some chocolate, some coconut, alcohol, and dark malts with a bit of rum in there.
Taste follows the nose. I get a lot of heat and a bit of rum up front followed by chocolate notes and coconut rounding it out. This beer leaves a lingering sweetness that is offputting for me.
The beer runs thick over the tongue and has minimal carbonation as I expected from this big of a beer.
Overall, I'm a little disappointed with this one. Usually avery puts out a solid ba brew, but the lack of bitterness to balance all the sweetness along with the alcohol burn has me HOPING this one improves with age.

3.22/5  rDev -22.4%

Scent of cat food initially: Quite uninviting. First taste has a huge sweet flavor that masks the coconut. Finishes with a more complex, heftier slight-burnt flavor. Too sweet. Aroma of cat food dissipates as it warms up. Boozy, but not overdone. Heavy bodied. Overall, this is just too sweet: I'm glad I just shared a 12 oz bottle among 3 people.

2.29/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Thanks to tjmodica for sharing this with me.

A: Pours nearly opaque black with just a hint of red highlights around the edges. Kind of a murky color. No head forms, and no lace. This looks inky, muddy and incredibly viscous.
S: Granulated sugar, molasses, burnt malt, wood and soy sauce. Solvent and ethanol like alcohol. Wow, this burns my nose hairs as I take a breath in.
T: Follows the nose. Incredibly sweet. Brown and granulated sugar. Molasses, soy sauce and solvent alcohol.
M/D: A full viscous body. Sticky, oily, and no carbonation. It is like a sugary adhesive sticking to the roof of my mouth. Not enjoyable to drink at all. Sugar and solvent, burning ethanol in the throat. I can only take tiny sips, and then can only get down about an ounce.

What is the point in this? It is not enjoyable at all. Way to sugary sweet and burning alcohol. Neither of us could finish more than an ounce. This is poorly made, and not enjoyable.

I loved this beer. I thought it was better than Prop. Huge coconut and vanilla with a nice chocolate note, the rum barrels add a great sweetness.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Extreme in every sense, this is the most un-Porter-like Baltic Porter that's ever been experienced. Its insane gravity, sweetness, savory, rum and coconut infusions that kick this whole thing out of orbit. Man, I'm a sap for beers like these.

Its un-beer-like theme starts as the beer pours with the color of dark coffee but the consistency of maple syrup. With no real head to mention, the ale obviously prefers a quite and calm demeanor and brandy-like legging as opposed to head retention and lace. A quick swirl of the snifter provides a inky sheen to release aromas and allow the beer to breath.

All man- the intimidation of aromatics start with heavy chocolate, black-strap molasses and a plethora of burnt sugars for a char-sweetened taste. Then the strong booze note pulls from the sweetness for a pleasantly firm scent of spiced rum, fortified brandy, fine port and aged sherry. Lush with its savory scent- the culmination is nearly meaty with a not-so-mild soy sauce nuance. As the complexities build, a final hint of coconut and oak rise as I head in for that first sip.

Its lavish, succulent taste is fortified with fudge and bold roast coffee backed by molasses, buckwheat and burnt toffee as it provides a stranglehold on the tongue. Only sliced through by the strong alcohol flavors of brandy, rum and sherry wine- those well-aged flavors provide a savory and salty taste to round out the sugars and a spiciness to balance them. Cherries, raisins, plumbs, prunes, figs and dates all pull from the savory darkness and continues to release secrets with every sip. Again, an extended finish of slowly receding sweetness and booze reveals oak, caramel, vanilla and unmistakable coconut.

Much more like a barley liqueur than of beer- the weight of the uncarbonated beer rests weightedly on the tongue to allow all of those strong flavors to seep into the taste buds in unabashed fashion. Viscous and chewy, the beer's boozy sweetness clings to the mouth and resists the urge to any type of closure or finish. Lingering like fine port, the beer easily replaces any desert on the menu and is the perfect closure to any meal of rich cuisine.

Momi Hiwa is a clever ale that bridges the worlds of frigid Baltic regions, tropical islands and zymurgy gone wild. Its certainly a beer that drinks like a meal!

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Sweetest beer ever. Not as full as you'd expect.

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks to imperialbeerdude for sending me this brew in a trade. Appearance is dark brown with reddish highlights and almost no head upon pour. From the looks of it, the carbonation seems to be low. There is a substantial amount of coconut particulates visible as well. The aroma is noticeable the moment the cap is popped. Sweet boozy raisin, coconut, and caramel come to the aroma before I even formally take a whiff. Upon closer inspection, coconut and rum dominate the nose with a surprising lack of chocolate and roast. The taste is intensely sweet up front and definitely fits the bill of being a dessert in a bottle as Avery claims. Notes of molasses, maple, cane sugar, and coconut are all present to make an incredibly sweet beer. Tons of residual sugar present as I suspect the final gravity of this brew is north of 1.040. As sweet as all of these flavors are, they seem to balance each other out and a bit of boozy rum seems to actually complement the sweetness and make for a nice finish. Mouthfeel is viscous and nearly absent of carbonation. This is a tasty and unique beer from Avery, but I just really wish there were some cacao added in there to complete the "liquid mounds bar" effect. Definitely a sipper and a dessert beer, worth a try!

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I wanted to enjoy this beer a few times before I gave it a full review. Upon try #3, I think I can give this beer the review it deserves.

A - This one pours a really deep mahogany with no real head and no retention; the carbonation towards the rim is really nothing but some kind of visual coconut cacophony that dissipates in to a coconut film when you try and finger it out of the glass.

S - Momi Hiwa is a perfect blend of sweetness, toasted coconut, dark boozy rum, sugarcane, chocolate, and vanilla.

T - So, this is where this beer shines and why I'll covet my stash: the flavors reflect the nose but the alcohol is muted; the flavors of dark rum marry with the sweetness of all the sugars and coconut flavors perfectly. This one whets with alcohol-soaked raisins, chocolate, vanilla, and that 'liquid Mounds' bar flavor this one was intended to taste like. FNA.

M - This beer feels quite smooth despite the 17%+ going on in there...the heat is negligible. It's creamy without being chalky or chewy and really drinks quite easily given the high abv and loads of flavor. I can see how someone might think it's too cloying, but I can't imagine what else you'd expect from a 17% rum-ba coconut porter. It's near perfect here.

O - Overall, this beer is incredible. I only wish I had more. The taste, the masking of alcohol, the general amazingness of this beer as either a dessert or late night sipper, the alcohol content without palate wrecking capability...this is an awesome beer from Avery.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Bankhead for sharing this one at mrbubbler's tasting.

Bottled 6/4/14.

Pours a murky dark brown with a foamy tan head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, brown sugar, cocoa, candied coconut, and rum aromas. Taste is much the same with toasted coconut, brown sugar, toffee, and rum flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of wood bitterness and an alcohol kick on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with the coconut and rum coming through a bit better in the taste to me.

Serving type: bottle.

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

Appearance: black. Not much of a head, but what it has is dark brown. I think (hope) that's a bit of coconut oil floating on top. (From reading the other reviews, I'm pretty sure that's what it is.)

Aroma: dark and roasty, with some caramel notes.

Taste: strong! Sweet with an alcoholic bite. Lots of caramel and other sweet notes (a bit too sweet for me). The coconut melds it all together nicely. No hop presence.

Mouthfeel: very smooth with some beautiful creaminess.

Overall: very complex, and pretty delicious, though a little to thickly flavored and sweet for my taste. A dark and mischievous brew.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Fast rising and falling caramel colored head. Fizzy and uber bubbly. ZERO lacing. Coconut floaties...

Tons of RUM... Chocolate and coconut conquer nicely too. Mild booze.

Lots of vanilla, raisin, rum, booze but no heat, wet, sweet, Lots and lots of sweet sugary coconut flavors. One of the most deep, unique, complex brews I've ever had... Back side finish is very dry and opaque. Not very fresh feeling. Missing much carbonation

Recommended. This brew is damn close to port... It's very good, but not a frequent flyer. An age'r for sure. This would have been a great beer to SPLIT, oh-well, my gain?

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

A: when poured aggressively it actually has visual carbonation and a head that stays a while. Thats not all that common for so much alcohol

S: huge coconut, chocolate and rum. Crazy mounds bar effect

T: absolutely huge flavor. Obviously its sweet but not nasty sweet. Coconut lingers and tgw rum barrel just melds in the chocolate background. Lots more of a dark fruit presence than the smell. The alcohol is super easy for 17%

M: carbonation sticks through the experience. Keeps my mouth not getting overwhelmed with sweetness

O: a really well made crazy beer. Its a holy shit beer. Smell it and you say "holy shit, candy bar". Taste it and holy shit my eyes shoot wide open because my mouth gives up with a flavor overload. overall just holy shit, that beer is out there and big. Great hidden big alcohol when chilled. Another good big boy beer from Avery

3.02/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours dark daark brown with a little cream head that quickly disappears and some coconut floating on top. Aroma is nice but off point for what it is; nice barrel influence and rum, some vanilla, some roastiness, but not quite getting too much coconut. There is definitely some heat to this, as I would expect from past Avery offerings and just the fact that its 17%. Flavor is super sweet; lots of coconut and vanilla, tons of sugar, rum and its barrel, some chocolate. Mouthfeel is thick and straight up viscous, which I usually like but found was a detractor for this beer to a degee. Overall, definitely sweet as hell but kinda enjoyable in moderation. I split this bottle with a friend, would have even been better off having split it between 2 others. Would not drink this again.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: head is non existent. Dark color similar to flat Coca Cola. No lacing. Death in a glass.

Smell: rum soaked toasted coconut. Dark chocolate. More alcohol.

Taste: Mounds candy bar injected with dark rum. Sweet, sweet, with a nice alcoholic heat. Making the hair on my toes curl up. Dessert beer on steroids.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thin. Lifeless. No carbonation. Leaving a sticky film on my lips. Wut?

Drinkability: I couldn't imagine having more than 12 oz of this in one sitting. That being said, would drink again.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz bottle $10.99. I picked this up after hearing the hype and despite being leery after the heat of Uncle Jacobs. Solid choice. Dark, brown color but not quite black. No head. Aroma was sticky chocolate, rum, coconut, sugar, and alcohol of course. Flavor was more chocolate, coconut, booze, sugar. I was actually quite surprised how the sweetness overpowered the alcohol, I had no problem finishing my six ounces. Good stuff.

4.31/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A- pretty much perfect. A baltic porter on cruise control

S- Rum and coconut destroys this brew. Rum>molasses?chocolate

T- Big Big Big rum>Big Big Big rum This beer seeks to crush. And it does

M- Thin, for sure, but it should be.

O- Top 10 beer of '13. Don't seek out to get it, trade it to me.

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Firestone restaurant glass
From: Beer Advocate’s ucsbmullet
Price: N/A
Purchased: Received it on Oct. 10, 2013
Consumed: Nov. 28, 2013
Misc.: Bottled June 4, 2013; 17.09% ABV

A big thanks to Nick for the kind gift.

Poured an almost pitch black cloud color with 2-to-3 fingers of tan head that dissipated almost immediately. Minimal lacing on the sides of the glass. Below average retention all the way down.

Smelled a mix of a lot of different flavors. Got coconut, crayon, toast, wood, vanilla, rum, dark chocolate, caramel, toffee (a bit like Rolo’s candy), Cherry Coke and some more rum.

Tasted much better than the smell. Got chocolate, dark chocolate, wood, smooth rum, dry coconut, crayon, almost burnt toast, Rolo’s candy, caramel and toffee.

Medium body. Creamy-to-sticky texture. Average carbonation. Long, smooth, warming finish. Tastes strong, but not 17.09 percent strong.

After starting off fairly weak, this beer really came on. I enjoyed it very much. Would love to get my hands on it again.

to view more.