Momi Hiwa - Avery Brewing Company

Momi HiwaMomi Hiwa

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Baltic Porter |  17.09% ABV

(Beer added by: MinorThreat on 06-10-2013)
1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

chippo33, Oct 16, 2013

potbeercollege, Oct 09, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Thanks to tjmodica for sharing this with me.

A: Pours nearly opaque black with just a hint of red highlights around the edges. Kind of a murky color. No head forms, and no lace. This looks inky, muddy and incredibly viscous.
S: Granulated sugar, molasses, burnt malt, wood and soy sauce. Solvent and ethanol like alcohol. Wow, this burns my nose hairs as I take a breath in.
T: Follows the nose. Incredibly sweet. Brown and granulated sugar. Molasses, soy sauce and solvent alcohol.
M/D: A full viscous body. Sticky, oily, and no carbonation. It is like a sugary adhesive sticking to the roof of my mouth. Not enjoyable to drink at all. Sugar and solvent, burning ethanol in the throat. I can only take tiny sips, and then can only get down about an ounce.

What is the point in this? It is not enjoyable at all. Way to sugary sweet and burning alcohol. Neither of us could finish more than an ounce. This is poorly made, and not enjoyable.

champ103, Jul 01, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

WeisGuy, Mar 09, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

thegerm87, Feb 22, 2014
2.91/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with gold foiled-over branded Avery pry-off pressure cap and appealing label art acquired at a Colorado bottle shop and served into an Avery stem-tulip in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given its current 92 rating as well as the description - a barrel aged coconut porter? Count me in! Bottled June 04 2013. 17.09% ABV. Production: 283 cases. There's zero indication on the label (or on Avery's website or in news articles on the release of this beer) that this is a baltic porter, so I'm reviewing as an imperial porter since it's high ABV and the label calls it a porter (and an ale).

Served chilled and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of pale khaki colour. It's disappointingly thin and recedes to a floating ring within 15 seconds. The ring lingers a bit longer, but ultimately head retention is quite poor - though this is excusable at this high an ABV. No lacing sticks to the sides of the glass, even when I tilt it.

Body colour is a very dark brown-black; opaque. I'd prefer a more solid jet-black. Clean; no floating yeast particles/sediment is visible. There are no egregious flaws here, but it's far from unique or special for the style. I'm really looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Coconut, dark malts, rum, sugarcane, wood barrel, raisin, a light booziness, fermented fruit, red grape, unrefined/turbinado sugars, and heavy malts I'd associate more with an English barleywine than a porter. The yeast character is hard to ascertain; I'd say the aroma suggests an English character and it's definitely an ale. A sticky and sweet aroma but nevertheless a pleasant one. I'd hoped for some toasty and/or roasty character, but I'm not getting that from the aroma.

No hop profile is detectable. The alcohol is surprisingly tame given the ABV; I'd guess this was 13% at most based on the aroma. There are no off-notes.

An inviting if intimidating aroma of average strength.

T: Sweet sticky rum and sugarcane notes overwhelm the coconut - which doesn't seem to possess any toasted character at all. There's lots of sticky fruit - raisins, grapes, maybe even plum. Coconut is a tough note to incorporate because actual genuine coconut has a very timid flavour (as opposed to coconut extract). Unfortunately, Avery didn't quite figure out how to integrate it well.

Burnt sugars. A kiss of char. Some sherry/brandy touches. Prunes. Some fig. Port wine.

I get plenty of dark English malt character in the foundation, but I'm not finding the chocolate/chocolate malts promised by the label's description. Also, any wood or barrel notes (aside from the boozy rum) are too buried to be noticeable, to the beer's detriment. Certainly on the sweeter side.

As it warms, I pick up marshmallow and a very faint toasty quality.

There's plenty of complexity here, but not as much as you'd expect. Lacks subtlety and intricacy. The rum and coconut do lend it some needed nuance, but this is far from a unique or special flavour profile. Rum and coconut have both been better executed elsewhere (the former by this same brewery). This profile feels a bit messy and certainly lacks balance. The build has a loose cohesion but isn't gestalt. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. Overall, I think this is a case where the execution just doesn't deliver on the premise.

No hop or yeast character comes through. I do think the alcohol is very well disguised, as I'd guess this was maybe 11% if I had it blind. Astounding.

There are no off flavours.

Mf: Sticky, chewy, thick, smooth, and wet. That said, as it warms it becomes more dry and chalky - to its detriment.

Well-carbonated. Syrupy. The viscosity is a bit off-putting, and makes me fear this will really decline with age. The texture doesn't accentuate the flavours of the taste particularly well, and isn't ideal for an imperial porter. Execution could be better. Luckily, the booziness is tame.

Not oily, astringent, gushed, or harsh.

Dr: It does hide its ABV pretty well and in that sense it's quite drinkable even though it's obviously a sipper.

This is the kind of flavour profile that could become a nightmare with age. Drink this now if you have one. I hoped and expected to be blown away, but this is far from Avery's finest work. I'm pretty disappointed. It doesn't deliver on the premise and frankly I wouldn't buy it again if I saw it on shelves tomorrow. Not worth trading for. I wouldn't recommend it to friends. I love what they were after but this just isn't up to par. Definitely a dessert beer. It'll be difficult to finish all 12 ounces, but I'll manage - much to my dentist's chagrin.

C

kojevergas, Feb 21, 2014

MrVonzipper, Jun 26, 2013
3.01/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours dark daark brown with a little cream head that quickly disappears and some coconut floating on top. Aroma is nice but off point for what it is; nice barrel influence and rum, some vanilla, some roastiness, but not quite getting too much coconut. There is definitely some heat to this, as I would expect from past Avery offerings and just the fact that its 17%. Flavor is super sweet; lots of coconut and vanilla, tons of sugar, rum and its barrel, some chocolate. Mouthfeel is thick and straight up viscous, which I usually like but found was a detractor for this beer to a degee. Overall, definitely sweet as hell but kinda enjoyable in moderation. I split this bottle with a friend, would have even been better off having split it between 2 others. Would not drink this again.

denver10, Jul 09, 2013
3.11/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a duvel tulip

Pours dark brown with a small tan head that quickly dissapates into a small ring of occasional bubbles, no lacing. Looks like I have some coconut floaters as a bonus. Pretty dark for a "porter", ha!
Smells like a highly alcoholic mounds bar. Some chocolate, some coconut, alcohol, and dark malts with a bit of rum in there.
Taste follows the nose. I get a lot of heat and a bit of rum up front followed by chocolate notes and coconut rounding it out. This beer leaves a lingering sweetness that is offputting for me.
The beer runs thick over the tongue and has minimal carbonation as I expected from this big of a beer.
Overall, I'm a little disappointed with this one. Usually avery puts out a solid ba brew, but the lack of bitterness to balance all the sweetness along with the alcohol burn has me HOPING this one improves with age.

SFACRKnight, Jul 06, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

Appearance: black. Not much of a head, but what it has is dark brown. I think (hope) that's a bit of coconut oil floating on top. (From reading the other reviews, I'm pretty sure that's what it is.)

Aroma: dark and roasty, with some caramel notes.

Taste: strong! Sweet with an alcoholic bite. Lots of caramel and other sweet notes (a bit too sweet for me). The coconut melds it all together nicely. No hop presence.

Mouthfeel: very smooth with some beautiful creaminess.

Overall: very complex, and pretty delicious, though a little to thickly flavored and sweet for my taste. A dark and mischievous brew.

mevett89, Jul 18, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

IrishColonial, Apr 10, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

LoveStout, May 17, 2014
3.28/5  rDev -21%

Scent of cat food initially: Quite uninviting. First taste has a huge sweet flavor that masks the coconut. Finishes with a more complex, heftier slight-burnt flavor. Too sweet. Aroma of cat food dissipates as it warms up. Boozy, but not overdone. Heavy bodied. Overall, this is just too sweet: I'm glad I just shared a 12 oz bottle among 3 people.

dnphoto, Jul 19, 2013

mctizzz, Nov 09, 2013

acurtis, May 17, 2014

Beerontwowheels, Aug 04, 2013

mendvicdog, Jul 23, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Funny long story about this. But long story short, I have about 1 ounce of this beer at room temperature in my snifter. Goin for a review.
Pours up dark mahogany with no head. Nose is sugar and heat from the booze. Subtle molasses, plums, tobacco. Taste is super sweet, candy sugar, toffee, hint of rum, no apparent coconut flavor. Medium bodied, light carbo. Intense brew

stumac, Jun 26, 2013